• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

Jonm1010

Banned
They didnt see the hilarious Blake Griffin screen either so who cares

I think a lot of people care son.

You can't overturn who the ball was out on because you missed a call. Then call a minor touch on the shooter the next play and then completely ignore any contact on the ball handler the next possession. I mean they can and they did but it's the height of incompetence.

KingKong

I think a lot of people care son.

You can't overturn who the ball was out on because you missed a call. Then call a minor touch on the shooter the next play and then completely ignore any contact on to the ball handler the next possession.

Ok, but we're talking about the final play. CP3 was fouled but they should have called the foul on Griffin before that. Seems fair to me

Jonm1010

Banned
Ok, but we're talking about the final play. CP3 was fouled but they should have called the foul on Griffin before that. Seems fair to me

Then we go back to Barnes and that should of been a foul and two point play and overtime or clippers win.

So maybe

But what they had been giving all night were questionable screens so frankly it doesn't surprise me they didn't here. But if you are gonna call all contact on the ball handler in the closing seconds then you need to be consistent. They weren't and it cost one team the game.

And let's not forgot that three plays prior you had Westbrook basically fouling Paul for the turnover, then before that the Jordan BS call.

The clips did a lot to lose the game but would of hung on if it weren't for the refs. Thats the only factual story that can be taken away from this without having to make an Olympic gymnastics effort of excuses.

effzee

With all that's been going on the Clipps being in the Finals (as opposed to the small market Thunder or ratings poison Spurs) would be a fucking gold mine. If the league really was competent enough to rig games why wouldn't they want that? In fact, why would the Knicks be as terrible as they have been for the last 15 years while the Spurs win 4 titles and go to 5 Finals if the league were able to rig their games and league as effectively as some of you make it seem? Isn't it just possible that we are dealing with a sport that is inherently hard to judge because of how fast and physical the action is, while at the same time having refs that are largely incompetent and unaccountable?

Shut up with your logic and good points.

LMAO an hour later and that's all they've got? lol

Situations like these are why you don't want the sports media to be profiting off leagues. ESPN and TNT can't call bullshit on this cos they are deep in bed with the NBA

I have seen bad calls get called out time after time on TNT and ESPN by the commentators and studio analysts.

Well two calls were blown. My only point is that if one blown call went in each teams favor within a split second of each other, doesn't that pretty much mean the refs are just bad, and not part of some grand conspiracy? If they were really rigging the game for OKC why not put Jackson on the line on a clear foul instead of banking on the fact that Chris Paul is going to miraculously bail out Westbrook on a bad three point attempt?

Again shut up with your logic.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This OKC team is not as good as the OKC team they played against in 2012. It'll be a 5 game finals if they meet (and I really hope they do because the Spurs had me legit shook last year and I don't want to see them again).

This Heat team isn't as good either. Have you watched the Heat games? Spurs would demolish the Heat at this rate.

TylerD

As a Thunder fan, we got some favorable calls at the end of the game. The Clippers did everything they could to help us out and the refs also lent a helping hand. :)

As for the contact between Reggie and Paul at the end of the game... That is usually the point where it is gloves off and I just don't think that call is made consistently on the last play.

Jag

This Heat team isn't as good either. Have you watched the Heat games? Spurs would demolish the Heat at this rate.

Heat have always been inconsistent, especially in Playoffs. They were seconds away from elimination in Game 6. I wouldn't say they would get demolished, but it could easily go either way.

The Heat have had a hobbled Wade in the last two playoffs, though. Sure, he's older but at least he isn't completely useless in the playoffs this year like the last two years. I'd say it's as much of a tossup as it was last year.

commish

The Heat have had a hobbled Wade in the last two playoffs, though. Sure, he's older but at least he isn't completely useless in the playoffs this year like the last two years. I'd say it's as much of a tossup as it was last year.

Not sure Wade is giving them more this year than he did the last 2 years.

Two best tweets from last night:

Some guy wearing a Durant jersey just ran on to the court and made a 3.
— Royce Young (@royceyoung)

KD's taking away shots from Westbrook.
— Jeff Caplan (@Caplan_NBA)

Also, Durant couldn't watch as YNB shot those last three FTs.
hllxjb8h6fmv5witp4ec.jpg

You're now free to resume your salty whining, folks.

Not sure Wade is giving them more this year than he did the last 2 years.

So far, he hasn't had to play well and that's fine...for now.

The super shitty (but somewhat good) thing about the east this year - more so that the last few years - is that it fucking blows the biggest ass. The problem with that is that the Heat aren't being tested, so you get games like the last game where they ran virtually no plays and it was Lebron isos all day. That shit wouldn't have flown last year and they would need people to, you know, do a pick and roll and some decent screens and actually try.

My fear is that they're not going to be able to play at Finals intensity when they get there because of how shitty the east has been and theyre going to be caught with their pants down if they face the Spurs.

Jag

My fear is that they're not going to be able to play at Finals intensity when they get there because of how shitty the east has been and theyre going to be caught with their pants down if they face the Spurs.

No way. These guys have been there enough times to know what it takes to win it all. Wade has disappeared in Playoff series in the past but has also stepped up when needed. That doesn't mean he will, just that he can. Inconsistency.

I'm more concerned about the Heat bench. Some of the pieces we added just aren't producing. I've always been a James Jones fan, but he doesn't replace Miller especially on defense. Anderson is probably the most consistent and useful bench player (after Allen) and I'd like to see him get more crunch time minutes as well.

The game yesterday, can't believe I missed it from the highlight packages everywhere, MVP stepped up in the 4th. Poor Clippers. Poor CP3. But CP3 deserves it, for always trying to initiate the contact when his team is trailing or going for a game winner. Loved the non-forced turnover at the end. Clippers got no answer for Westbrook, seems like he can drop 30 every game on them. That Reggie Jackson strip though, damn I don't know how Thunder got the ball, but OKC vs. Spurs is good for the NBA.

The game yesterday, can't believe I missed it from the highlight packages everywhere, MVP stepped up in the 4th. Poor Clippers. Poor CP3. But CP3 deserves it, for always trying to initiate the contact when his team is trailing or going for a game winner. Loved the non-forced turnover at the end. Clippers got no answer for Westbrook, seems like he can drop 30 every game on them. That Reggie Jackson strip though, damn I don't know how Thunder got the ball, but OKC vs. Spurs is good for the NBA.

As long as the Clippers insist on having Paul guard YNB, they have zero chance of stopping him. Durant was ice cold and Westbrook carried the team for the better part of three and a half quarters. He literally waltzed by CP3 like he was in fast-forward mode and Paul was paused.

I think if you examine the context of the game, it makes sense that OKC got the ball on that play. It wasn't the right call per the rule book, but the refs are humans and work in the context of the game. The replay showed a very obvious Barnes foul on Jackson, which in turn caused Jackson to lose the ball out of bounds. The Clippers were winning by 2 at that point, and Jackson deserved to shoot two FTs. By merely awarding the ball to the Clippers, the refs would essentially have stolen the game from OKC. By at least awarding them possession, they made up for missing a very obvious foul and at least gave the Thunder the possibility to tie (or win) the game.

Clippers fans are salty because they wanted the ball and say the refs screwed them, but they're unable to admit that not awarding Jackson FTs there AND giving the ball to the Clippers would have been a total screw job in their favor. Call in favor of the Clippers = good; call in favor of the Thunder = bad. That's their only argument there.

The ref work was poor most of the game. Crawford was allowed a chance at a four point play on a VERY obvious leg kick-out flop that even the announcers called him on. Big Baby "saved" an out of bounds ball while standing out of bounds. DeAndre Jordan was called for his sixth foul on a high screen that every forward or center in the league sets on every play. Reggie Jackson could have been called for hitting CP3's arm on the final drive, or potentially they could have hit Ibaka with a kicked ball (it looked to me like the ball went off his lower leg or foot there). Ref work sucked on both ends of the court.

There's no way the NBA benefits from a Thunder/Spurs match up more than a Spurs/Clippers one. Those markets aren't even close to similar in terms of viewership or popularity. There is no conspiracy.

RELAYER

Banned
Two best tweets from last night:

Some guy wearing a Durant jersey just ran on to the court and made a 3.
— Royce Young (@royceyoung)

KD's taking away shots from Westbrook.
— Jeff Caplan (@Caplan_NBA)

Also, Durant couldn't watch as YNB shot those last three FTs.
hllxjb8h6fmv5witp4ec.jpg

You're now free to resume your salty whining, folks.

Is that picture for real?

andthebeatgoeson

Me too. Slept thru and woke up at 1am.

He's basically buying game 6 with the fine though. Classic Phil Jackson technique.

Truth. They all do it, tho. I saw Westbrook arguing after the flagrant, making sure he won't get another later in the game. I'm getting tired of all the complaining. And seeing Paul Pierce and his ground beef beard complaining after every call is killing me.

commish

Doc is right but the refs were like 25% and the choke factor was like 75% on why the Clippers lost.

This is why I'm shocked he blamed the refs for as long as he did. Don't know how you could watch the end of that game and not realize that the Clips made so many stupid plays.

This is why I'm shocked he blamed the refs for as long as he did. Don't know how you could watch the end of that game and not realize that the Clips made so many stupid plays.

Clippers fans are doing the same thing. Like that pic of Paul getting fouled. Yeah he probably got fouled but so do other players in situations like that. It had no impact on him losing the ball that was all him.

Clippers fans are doing the same thing. Like that pic of Paul getting fouled. Yeah he probably got fouled but so do other players in situations like that. It had no impact on him losing the ball that was all him.

if you let the refs compromise your win then you shouldn't have that win anyhow. they botched several plays and put themselves in a compromising situation. Don't fuck up and then you don't have to worry about the refs fucking it up for you.

36 free throws to 20.

Only Durant and Westbrook can have horrible shooting nights, make only like 4 field goals, and still score over 35 points!

Clippers was playing 5 on 8.

I'm okay if Thunder beat the Clippers fairly, but I hate it whenever them or any team wins because of more free throws, foul calls, and bad refereeing.

I don't care who wins this series but Clippers lost because of the referees for sure!

36 free throws to 20.

Only Durant and Westbrook can have horrible shooting nights, make only like 4 field goals, and still score over 35 points!

I'm okay if Thunder beat the Clippers fairly, but I hate it whenever them or any team wins because of more free throws, foul calls, and bad refereeing.

I don't care who wins this series but Clippers lost because of the referees for sure!

Who the fuck on The Clippers can draw fouls like KD and Westbrook? Blake is the only one and you don't want DeAndre at the line.

36 free throws to 20.

Unfortunately, people trying to point to total number of free throws as a sign of referee bias means jack crap in the context of a basketball game. KD and Westbrook were aggressive in attacking the basket and drawing fouls, and the Clippers were over the foul limit for a large chunk of the game.

The two guys who traditionally get to the line a lot on the Clippers (Griffin and CP3) weren't attacking the rim. Griffin was shooting lots of mid to long-range jumpers, and CP3 was driving and kicking out to open teammates.

In a game where the refs are calling EVERYTHING, your best bet is to drive to the rim and force a decision. YNB, in particular, recognized that and drove non-stop in the second half. The Clippers could have easily gone to the line more if they didn't settle for 3s and long jumpers.

Who the fuck on The Clippers can draw fouls like KD and Westbrook? Blake is the only one and you don't want DeAndre at the line.

Pretty much this. It's not the refs fault that Griffin was taking 20 foot jumpers all game.

Top Bottom