• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

The funny part about all of this outrage is that it's a bad call that went the Thunder's way that stemmed directly from a bad call that went the Clipps way. Would you guys really be saying the game would have had a more "just" finish if they gave LA the ball off an obvious missed foul that would have put Jackson on the line to tie the game? It seems to me that the bad calls cancel each other out, meaning Chris Paul's dumbfuckery takes center stage as the reason the Clipps lost.

Yeah, that sixth foul on Jordan was terrible. You cant foul out a guy on brush contact. But in any case, CP3 put the Clippers in a position where the refs decided the game. The loss is on him.

I thought the call on Jordan was garbage. If they're going to call that foul, you might as well call every high screen ever.

I also don't see that rule as the hand on the ball as being legit since it's never called that way. When refs look at replays, all they ever factor in iis who touched it last. In this case it was Jackson.

I said it when it happened and I'll say it again. That was purely a makeup call for missing the obvious Barnes foul.

Cloudy

Banned
Tony Brothers just put out an explanation on that call. Says they only saw the replay from two angles, thought it was inconclusive.

LMAO an hour later and that's all they've got? lol

Situations like these are why you don't want the sports media to be profiting off leagues. ESPN and TNT can't call bullshit on this cos they are deep in bed with the NBA

Im glad he put out that statement though,so people can stop citing that NBA rule, as if it had a lick of influence on the refs decision to award OKC the ball.

Velcro Fly

The funny part about all of this outrage is that it's a bad call that went the Thunder's way that stemmed directly from a bad call that went the Clipps way. Would you guys really be saying the game would have had a more "just" finish if they gave LA the ball off an obvious missed foul that would have put Jackson on the line to tie the game? It seems to me that the bad calls cancel each other out, meaning Chris Paul's dumbfuckery takes center stage as the reason the Clipps lost.

I would have much rather seen Jackson get free throws than have two calls blown.

I would have much rather seen Jackson get free throws than have two calls blown.

Well two calls were blown. My only point is that if one blown call went in each teams favor within a split second of each other, doesn't that pretty much mean the refs are just bad, and not part of some grand conspiracy? If they were really rigging the game for OKC why not put Jackson on the line on a clear foul instead of banking on the fact that Chris Paul is going to miraculously bail out Westbrook on a bad three point attempt?

Jonm1010

Banned

1.) there were more bad calls then just the last 40 seconds or so.

2.). It was NOT just canceling out as other have pointed out why earlier.

A give back call would have been calling a foul after that play that would of resulted in a similar outcome, say two free throws.

As doc said he took a look at the replay, as did the arena(as did the tv audience) and everyone could see the ball was clearly off of Jackson so he spent the time drawing up an inbound play to keep the ball away from okc. With the reversal he is now fucked.

The refs took this game out of the hands of the players and coaches and gave it to the thunde and put them in a perfect position to out them over the hump that wouldn't of happened without their assistance.

Because FThunder.

Konex is totally okay with the refs screwing OKC with the wrong call, and not giving Jackson the free throws he earned there.

What he will not abide by is the refs balancing things out and at least giving OKC the ball, which was the least they could do there.

In summary, he'll explain a bad call against OKC by lying and saying it wasn't a foul, but he's crystal clear that Jackson turned over the ball on his own.

RedEther

Twitter is amazing right now
BnkiZfSIMAAhP_L.jpg

A give back call would have been calling a foul after that play that would of resulted in a similar outcome, say two free throws.

As doc said he took a look at the replay, as did the arena(as did the tv audience) and everyone could see the ball was clearly off of Jackson so he spent the time drawing up an inbound play to keep the ball away from okc. With the reversal he is now fucked.

The refs took this game out of the hands of the players and coaches and gave it to the thunde and put them in a perfect position to out them over the hump that wouldn't of happened without their assistance.

Sucks to be you a clipper fan I guess. You're team chokes and the refs hate you.

Cloudy

Banned
Well two calls were blown. My only point is that if one blown call went in each teams favor within a split second of each other, doesn't that pretty much mean the refs are just bad, and not part of some grand conspiracy? If they were really rigging the game for OKC why not put Jackson on the line on a clear foul instead of banking on the fact that Chris Paul is going to miraculously bail out Westbrook on a bad three point attempt?

You act like those were the only blown calls. The 6th on Jordan was HUGE and took away the Clipps defensive anchor and top rebounder. Also he wasn't a factor for offensive boards on their late misses

The refs had an obvious agenda to win OKC that game and they pulled it off

How was it out of the hands of the players? Chris Paul had the ball with the lead and IIRC 19 seconds left in the game. All he had to do was hold on to the ball and wait for a foul and instead of tried some ballet flop and lost it. Then Chris Paul had Russell Westbrook taking a bad three pointer and bailed him out by hitting his elbow. Then Chris Paul had the ball with 6 seconds left and turned it over. Those three things sound like it was in the hands of the players.

You act like those were the only blown calls. The 6th on Jordan was HUGE and took away the Clipps defensive anchor and top rebounder. Also he wasn't a factor for offensive boards on their late misses

C'mon dude you spent the last 10 years rooting for the Lakers via Kobe how many times did those kinds of calls help Kobe and the Lakers win games? Let's be real.

Remember that Crawford 3+1? Remember Glenn Davis being out of bounds?

Your mental gymnastics is entertainment to me. That you can just block out an entire segment of the game just for the hell of it.

you realize most arent clip fans and are just being real right?

You realize that tears are still tears right? These guys are losing their minds like they're clipper fans either way.

Velcro Fly

The free throw and foul differential the entire game was lopsided. LAC shot 20 and Westbrook shot 16 alone. Kevin Durant could have built a wall with all those bricks and even he shot a dozen. LAC built their lead in the 4th by not sending OKC to the line constantly.

Agreed, I hate it when people cite the rules.

Dont be silly. The ref clearly didnt have that rule in mind when he made the call, so its not very honest to cite it after the fact,as it didnt influence his decision making. Never mind that that rule is never interpreted that way on those late game video reviews. Its always the player who had last contact.

Cloudy

Banned
C'mon dude you spent the last 10 years rooting for the Lakers via Kobe how many times did those kinds of calls help Kobe and the Lakers win games? Let's be real.

It was never as lop-sided as it is with this OKC team and if anyone got calls on those Lakers teams, it was Shaq being allowed to punish guys in the paint.

This shit with OKC is just crap and many of us in this thread saw it coming.

It was never as lop-sided as it is with this OKC team and if anyone got calls on those Lakers teams, it was Shaq being allowed to punish guys in the paint.

This shit with OKC is just crap and many of us in this thread saw it coming.

It's always been lopsided because Shaq and Kobe got a fuckton of calls the way any other superstar gets a fuckton of calls. This is the way it's always been. This is why stars win titles moreso than in any other sport.

Everytime there was a Laker playoff game people would "see it coming" too.

Jonm1010

Banned
How was it out of the hands of the players? Chris Paul had the ball with the lead and IIRC 19 seconds left in the game. All he had to do was hold on to the ball and wait for a foul and instead of tried some ballet flop and lost it. Then Chris Paul had Russell Westbrook taking a bad three pointer and bailed him out by hitting his elbow. Then Chris Paul had the ball with 6 seconds left and turned it over. Those three things sound like it was in the hands of the players.

I already explained it to you. My saying anything else would just be me trying to dumb down what is already a pretty easy to understand explaination. Without the refs assistance with improper calls this game goes to the clippers or overtime. The only reason cp3 had an opportunity to fuck things up with Westbrook and then the next play was because of the refs. The refs do there job this is in overtime or clippers win. Instead they fuck up royally and end up being the outside force needed for the thunder to get the win

I already explained it to you. My saying anything else would just be me trying to dumb down what is already a pretty easy to understand explaination. Without the refs assistance with improper calls this game goes to the clippers or overtime. The only reason cp3 had an opportunity to fuck things up with Westbrook and then the next play was because of the refs. The refs do there job this is in overtime or clippers win. Instead they fuck up royally and end up being the outside force needed for the thunder to get the win

Chris Paul's first major boneheaded play came before the shitty call. If Chris Paul just holds on to the ball and waits to get fouled, Clips go up 4 and are heading to LA up 3-2 as we speak. He knows the refs are dumb. We know the refs are dumb. Don't put it in their hands. Don't give them the chance. That's what the teams that win do.

Jonm1010

Banned
His statement holds true then. Your team chokes and the refs hate you.
The refs do hate us given how often this season the other teams we faced got much more calls then us, except for Davis who is starting to get the star treatment.

But we were an injured mess with bad coaching so officiating is the least of our concerns.

But we were undefeated in overtime. So choking wasn't exactly our problem, it was just doing everything else in the game consistently.

Jonm1010

Banned
Chris Paul's first major boneheaded play came before the shitty call. If Chris Paul just holds on to the ball and waits to get fouled, Clips go up 4 and are heading to LA up 3-2 as we speak. He knows the refs are dumb. We know the refs are dumb. Don't put it in their hands. Don't give them the chance. That's what the teams that win do.
Doesn't matter. Even with that it would of and did take the refs poor handling of their officiating to give the thunder that opportunity. That opportunity doesn't exist if the refs do their job properly in the last minute.

anyways I'm going to bed. Just hope the next game isn't such a colossal mess.

Cipherr

I dunno, I don't care either way, but usually when such a blatant bad set of calls is made, we are all over it. Now it happens and we are told to overlook it because the Clips weren't playing well at the time anyway?

Maybe peoples reaction to these things change once the regular season ends and the post season starts. I remember when Austin Rivers got fouled on a game winning shot and didnt get the call:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U39YkvLfQuk

People on the sports boards were going nuts, and it didn't even matter that the Mavericks werent gonna do shit post season wise this year anyway. The only thing that mattered was that the call should have been made, and it wasn't. Guess who the ref was!

Jonm1010

Banned
Thanks cipherr lol.

I might need to wake my girlfriend and keep her on watch for an aneurysm.

I had actually forgotten about that bullshit game.

Not one to normally physically harm objects over sports but I actually broke a remote that day.

Puts things in perspective with how bad officiating in this league is.

All I'm saying is that any team that has advanced as far as these teams have, and is in a position to contend for a title, has likely had the benefit of some calls go there way. I'm pretty sure there are some Warriors fans that would like to talk about a game defining, series defining (and in the case of Mark Jackson, job defining) non-call on a blatant Chris Paul foul on Steph Curry as he shot a three that helped put the Clippers in the 2nd round to begin with.

Cloudy

Banned
Rule No. 12 - Fouls and Penalties
B. - Personal Foul
Section I - Types
e. "Contact which occurs on the hand of an offensive player, while that hand is in contact with the ball, is legal."

IT WAS NOT A FUCKING FOUL ON BARNES

I don't get Clipper fans guaranteeing that they would have won (or gone into overtime) if the refs in reality fucked up twice and gave the Clippers the ball, they're up 2 with 11 seconds left. All it takes it two 3's to either tie the game or win it. There was easily enough time left for that to happen, especially if OKC had any timeouts left (I have no idea if they did or not since I didn't watch the game).

Jonm1010

Banned
All I'm saying is that any team that has advanced as far as these teams have, and is in a position to contend for a title, has likely had the benefit of some calls go there way. I'm pretty sure there are some Warriors fans that would like to talk about a game defining, series defining (and in the case of Mark Jackson, job defining) non-call on a blatant Chris Paul foul on Steph Curry as he shot a three that helped put the Clippers in the 2nd round to begin with.

Which I think speaks to the larger issue at hand which is league wide poor and inconsistent officiating. This is the only league and the only league in this sport even that has so many questionable officiating incidences and so many incidences of game changing poor officiating calls.

One game the refs let the players get away with murder and things like the rivers incidence happens. Then the next game a pinky touch in the last second of a game is cause for calling a three point play.

Yet things like this or the Austin rivers three seem to be shrugged off by the league time and time again. When it should be a call to meet and decide how late game officiating should be called and how to make it consistent so players can gameplan accordingly and fans can respect the game and it's outcomes.

Games like this or when the pelicans/mavs game happened really sap my enjoyment of this league.

Which I think speaks to the larger issue at hand which is league wide poor and inconsistent officiating. This is the only league and the only league in this sport even that has so many questionable officiating incidences and so many incidences of game changing poor officiating calls.

Yet things like this or the Austin rivers three seem to be shrugged off by the league time and time again.

Games like this or when the pelicans/mavs game happened really sap my enjoyment of this league.

I don't know if I'd say it's the only one. MLB umps are roundly criticized and a lot of times they are doing things as (relatively, compared to an NBA game) simple as calling balls and strikes. And I'm fairly certain that if you ask defensive players about any high powered offense in the NFL, which is led by a QB who puts up big stats, they would say those teams get away with murder on the offensive line. But nobody pays attention to the line play enough to care. NBA calls are right there in front of us for everyone to see and garner much closer attention. I don't disagree with you that NBA refs are bad, I just don't think they rig games or are part of some kind of conspiracy. I think the idea of them being able to rig games is giving them far to much credit. I think the big issue is that there isn't much accountability for officials. The league is scared to reprimand bad officials.

Jonm1010

Banned
I don't know if I'd say it's the only one. MLB umps are roundly criticized and a lot of times they are doing things as (relatively, compared to an NBA game) simple as calling balls and strikes. And I'm fairly certain that if you ask defensive players about any high powered offense in the NFL, which is led by a QB who puts up big stats, they would say those teams get away with murder on the offensive line. But nobody pays attention to the line play enough to care. NBA calls are right there in front of us for everyone to see and garner much closer attention. I don't disagree with you that NBA refs are bad, I just don't think they rig games or are part of some kind of conspiracy. I think the idea of them being able to rig games is giving them far to much credit. I think the big issue is that there isn't much accountability for officials. The league is scared to reprimand bad officials.

I don't think they rig games either. At least not as some grand conspiracy, we do of course know at least one ref did but there is no evidence of it being more then an isolated incident.

I don't watch baseball so you may be right but the nfl is way more consistent in their calls. Not perfect but that is an impossible task to deliver. However they are consistent enough that the Seahawks were able to construct an entire defensive philosophy around knowing how refs call jamming at the line and interference. That would be impossible in the nba unless you are a star which also speaks to the uneven officiating.

Yes there are star calls in the nfl or college football or basketball but the nba is a whole other level. Just to illustrate using my team. Go look at Tyreke Evans and James harden or lebron. Tyreke does almost the same as those two in his approach to attacking the rim, takes TONS of contact but the latter two vastly outpace Tyreke in getting those calls. Harden got over 300 more free throw attempts this season, double what Tyreke got, but harden only played around 24% more minutes. That's an insane discrepancy.

Fjordson

Agreed with all of this. It's why I've stopped complaining about college and NBA refs. They aren't and never will be consistent, waste of energy complaining about them. Sad but true.

That being said, I couldn't be happier that they apparently screwed over LA (missed the game). Fuck the Clips and Doc Rivers.

Draconian

I love that Chris Paul's propensity for flopping came back to bite him in the worst possible way. Also, for as much criticism as Paul's gotten, I think Jamal Crawford's heroball 3 pointer from 35 feet up by 6 with under 2 minutes left deserves a mention. Stupid plays all over the place from the Clippers.

Daante

Creds to Thunders for winning this game, but the Clippers had it in their own hand, and failed to execute properly the last minutes.

I will probably never understand fully what the Clippers is all about. On one hand i feel they could be a championship team with their current roster, and now also a coach that previously has been quite successful. Griffin has developed his game to a whole new league, and i could see him be quite dominant in the NBA if he continues on this path.

On the other hand i feel they play quite careless and sloppy regulary, and when i watch their games i cant stop thinking "oh that shot was just pure luck(?)". I dont get that kind of thoughts or wibes when i watch The Spurs, Heat, and yeah the Thunders aswell. Do these teams have "better" players overall than the Clippers? , im not sure. I feel the Clippers COULD be one hell of a solid team if they got all their things right. The question is will they ever come to that point with this current roster?, or will be the players leave for other clubs if the success dosent come.

RELAYER

Banned
Just watched the end of the game.

Well-deserved win by OKC. One of the best teams in the league at overcoming a deficit and pulling out the game at the end. Those guys are just clutch.

fuck okc

they were gifted the first series and now this one

hope lebron crushes mama boy durant and that stupid ninja turtle

This OKC team is not as good as the OKC team they played against in 2012. It'll be a 5 game finals if they meet (and I really hope they do because the Spurs had me legit shook last year and I don't want to see them again).

Top Bottom