• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

I really thought this series was Thunder in 5. Then Ibaka went down. He's too valuable under the rim and consistently good on offense. I'm hopeful we can still close this series out, but it's looking bleak.

Jonm1010

Banned
Oh, now who's using straw men? Denouncing a nut punch is defending shit talkers? No, I just don't think shit talking deserves getting punched in the nuts. I know you think otherwise, and I'm not trying to change your stance on that, but since you want to incorrectly accuse me of using straw men, I thought I'd point out the hypocrisy in your post.

"Nothing's taboo when it comes to shit talk. The point is to strike a nerve. The whole point is to strike a nerve with the most effective trash talk. If you know your opponent is particularly touchy about a certain subject, then that's the best topic to talk trash about."

Sounds like a defense if not a flat out condoning of it to me.

So who is this really? Reilo or Lovingsteam?

There were only ever two posters obsessed with Heat fans. Given the increase in saltiness coinciding with Portland's exit, I'm gonna put my money on Reilo. It's got that same "trying way too hard" vibe. PEACE.

Come on now are you of all people telling me I try too hard? Some of your posts are like long essays on why the Heat are super awesome.

"Nothing's taboo when it comes to shit talk. The point is to strike a nerve. The whole point is to strike a nerve with the most effective trash talk. If you know your opponent is particularly touchy about a certain subject, then that's the best topic to talk trash about."

Sounds like a defense if not a flat out condoning of it to me.
Context and reading comprehension. How does it work? Obviously I don't have a problem with shit talking on the sports field. Not denying that. But my point is that even if you do have a problem with it, it doesn't deserve to be responded to with physical violence, especially in such a way that can render a person permanently disabled. And don't say you don't really mean for CP3 to kick him in the nuts until he can't have kids. You can't guarantee such a thing wouldn't happen when you strike someone's nuts. You're either being purposely obtuse in a futile effort to save face (no one in this thread agrees with your position, judging by other comments) or you really lack comprehension. Here's a hyperbolic example to help you better understand in case it's the latter. Let's say instead of a nut punch, CP3 shot the shit talker after the game. If I said shit talking doesn't deserve getting shot, would you say I'm trying to defend shit talkers?

And speaking of trying to turn things around, you're the one trying to change the focus onto me defending shit talking, when the whole controversy is about CP3 punching some dude in his nuts and you defending that!

Edit:
And you're not even consistent on what you want to accuse me of in an effort to take the heat off of you. First, I'm only denouncing the nut punch because you somehow think I hate CP3 (not a fan of his flopping and cheap shots but I think he's the best PG in the game and admire his skill). And now it's not about hating CP3, but I'm simply defending shit talkers. You're flopping all over the place like CP3 in an effort to justify violence over words. It's a losing battle for you no matter if you eventually find some holes to poke in my posts. It won't change your stance which is what I and everyone else who responded to you have an issue with.

Pimpwerx

Come on now are you of all people telling me I try too hard? Some of your posts are like long essays on why the Heat are super awesome.
Only two people ever cared about Heat fans as much as you do. Compare your posts in here over just the last week. It's a disproportionate number aimed solely at Heat fans when the thread really hasn't had any of that lame backbiting since a tool and his puppet were banned. You're telling on yourself, Reilo. Only you and LS were too preoccupied with your ridiculous agendas to see what obvious trolls you were. In any case, what's wrong with being upbeat about your team? It's sure better than negativity with no justification. I'd rather be a fan than a hater. You? PEACE.

Jonm1010

Banned
Context and reading comprehension. How does it work? Obviously I don't have a problem with shit talking on the sports field. Not denying that. But my point is that even if you do have a problem with it, it doesn't deserve to be responded to with physical violence, especially in such a way that can render a person permanently disabled. And don't say you don't really mean for CP3 to kick him in the nuts until he can't have kids. You can't guarantee such a thing wouldn't happen when you strike someone's nuts. You're either being purposely obtuse in a futile effort to save face (no one in this thread agrees with your position, judging by other comments) or you really lack comprehension. Here's a hyperbolic example to help you better understand in case it's the latter. Let's say instead of a nut punch, CP3 shot the shit talker after the game. If I said shit talking doesn't deserve getting shot, would you say I'm trying to defend shit talkers?

And speaking of trying to turn things around, you're the one trying to change the focus onto me defending shit talking, when the whole controversy is about CP3 punching some dude in his nuts and you defending that!

Edit:
And you're not even consistent on what you want to accuse me of in an effort to take the heat off of you. First, I'm only denouncing the nut punch because you somehow think I hate CP3 (not a fan of his flopping and cheap shots but I think he's the best PG in the game and admire his skill). And now it's not about hating CP3, but I'm simply defending shit talkers. You're flopping all over the place like CP3 in an effort to justify violence over words. It's a losing battle for you no matter if you eventually find some holes to poke in my posts. It won't change your stance which is what I and everyone else who responded to you have an issue with.

Guy posts video of cp3 nutpunching player.

I say that in that one instance the guy deserved it due to the fact he spoke of his murdered grandfather over and over again in verbally abusive way.

You say shit talking is ok no matter what it is.

I say you are wrong.

You get frustrated with a guy that stepped into your enjoyment of pissing on Chris Paul and now we have a two page debate people
Probably wish would just end.

You try to play the bleeding heart card by inflating a nut punch into some sort of overblown tragedy. Which in reality is mild in comparison to lots of the physicality in basketball. Then using some straw men, appeals to the majority and slippery slope fallacies you try and paint me into an argument I'm not making and claim some sort of victory as if this discussion is going to have a winner.

You seem to be playing the role of an absolutist towards physical violence which is fine(fitting to support your argument) but odd considering the nature of contact sports. Yet at the same time seem to be a complete supporter of verbal agitation and abuse no matter the degree as long as it's on the sports floor.

Would you really be ok if for instance a white player started calling a black player a n***** and that he would lynch him? or kept harassing a gay player with prejudice insults? The difference is in the above, is that based on your comments you would be ok with that type of talk while I feel that there are lines you don't cross such as racial, sexual orientation or severe personal tragedies that should be off limits due to a number of reasons. Amongst them is they are going to illicit a strong response from the recipient in a way that can lead to uncontrollable behavior especially in an already emotionally heightened and physical sport. You don't seem to feel the same.

So if the deliverer of those words was punched in the nuts during the game as a response to the abuse I wouldn't care. Correct me if im wrong but you seem like you would actually find no fault at the deliverer and only with the player who responded physically to overpoweringly hateful and personal verbal abuse.

dream

Syphon, what if the Pacers were sandbagging since the all star break and started tanking just to trick the Heat into a false sense of security?

knicks

Pacers look better than they have all playoffs.

It would be kind of unfortunate if they beat Miami.....even if you hate the Heat it'd be more exciting to see them lose in the finals than the ECF.

Jonm1010

Banned
Pacers look better than they have all playoffs.

It would be kind of unfortunate if they beat Miami.....even if you hate the Heat it'd be more exciting to see them lose in the finals than the ECF.
You don't think the pacers, playing well, could match up against the spurs or thunder(w/out Ibaka)?

Edit: damn iPhone, even it doesn't value Ibaka enough.

Whoever had the ball on that last pacers possession should be ashamed. Easy assist could have been had there but he wanted to get the shot himself

Guy posts video of cp3 nutpunching player.

I say that in that one instance the guy deserved it due to the fact he spoke of his murdered grandfather over and over again in verbally abusive way.

You say shit talking is ok no matter what it is.

I say you are wrong.

You get frustrated with a guy that stepped into your enjoyment of pissing on Chris Paul and now we have a two page debate people
Probably wish would just end.

You try to play the bleeding heart card by inflating a nut punch into some sort of overblown tragedy. Which in reality is mild in comparison to lots of the physicality in basketball. Then using some straw men, appeals to the majority and slippery slope fallacies you try and paint me into an argument I'm not making and claim some sort of victory as if this discussion is going to have a winner.

You seem to be playing the role of an absolutist towards physical violence which is fine(fitting to support your argument) but odd considering the nature of contact sports. Yet at the same time seem to be a complete supporter of verbal agitation and abuse no matter the degree as long as it's on the sports floor.

Would you really be ok if for instance a white player started calling a black player a n***** and that he would lynch him? or kept harassing a gay player with prejudice insults? The difference is in the above, is that based on your comments you would be ok with that type of talk while I feel that there are lines you don't cross such as racial, sexual orientation or severe personal tragedies that should be off limits due to a number of reasons. Amongst them is they are going to illicit a strong response from the recipient in a way that can lead to uncontrollable behavior especially in an already emotionally heightened and physical sport. You don't seem to feel the same.

So if the deliverer of those words was punched in the nuts during the game as a response to the abuse I wouldn't care. Correct me if im wrong but you seem like you would actually find no fault at the deliverer and only with the player who responded physically to overpoweringly hateful and personal verbal abuse.
A long worded post to say there are certain words that justify violence. Nope. I don't believe so. Should Donald Sterling have gotten the shit kicked out of him by NBA players? Nope. I believe the real outcome of that event was much more civilized and acceptable. If someone makes comments that step over your arbitrary line and your too thin-skinned to brush it off, then report him or her, or simply leave. Retaliating with violence is not a civilized response, will only escalate the situation, and may even land you in jail.

Only two people ever cared about Heat fans as much as you do. Compare your posts in here over just the last week. It's a disproportionate number aimed solely at Heat fans when the thread really hasn't had any of that lame backbiting since a tool and his puppet were banned. You're telling on yourself, Reilo. Only you and LS were too preoccupied with your ridiculous agendas to see what obvious trolls you were. In any case, what's wrong with being upbeat about your team? It's sure better than negativity with no justification. I'd rather be a fan than a hater. You? PEACE.

lol dude he use to be called Style Fox and before that he was Midnight something.

I was out all day at a picnic, followed by a trip out to select a new family member (black labrador retriever puppy).

I'm stopping in just to say fuck the Heat. An Ibaka-less Thunder will eat these frauds in the Finals. But you aren't even beating Indiana (and we might not beat the Spurs), so no matter.

OKC/SA versus IND finals inbound.

RedEther

I was out all day at a picnic, followed by a trip out to select a new family member (black labrador retriever puppy).

I'm stopping in just to say fuck the Heat. An Ibaka-less Thunder will eat these frauds in the Finals. But you aren't even beating Indiana (and we might not beat the Spurs), so no matter.

OKC/SA versus IND finals inbound.

Hopefully.

I realize Miami has made it to the straight Finals. I also realize LOLEast.

This team doesn't even reach the Conference finals in the West. Memphis would feast on these guys in a series.

LeBron James with that "defense."

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I realize Miami has made it to the straight Finals. I also realize LOLEast.

This team doesn't even reach the Conference finals in the West. Memphis would feast on these guys in a series.

LeBron James with that "defense."

I hate heat but how can you say that when they have beat the west the last two years? Including the Spurs, OKC team with Harden, Durant, and Westbrook. I love the west but the defense they play out here is a joke.

dream

Miami always looks shitty for a few games of the playoffs. Crowning Indiana at this stage is as premature as believing Kevin Durant will ever win a championship.

That said, are you wishing things on D-Wizzle yet, Pimpster?

Blablurn

Now let's see everyone claiming "The Heat are done" again just to see them fighting back. It's gonna be a long series.

But yeah. I can already imagine the next days headlines.

I hate heat but how can you say that when they have beat the west the last two years? Including the Spurs, OKC team with Harden, Durant, and Westbrook.

Honestly, with a healthy Ibaka, this year's Thunder are far better than the 2012 version. The Heat are significantly worse. If YNB remained healthy last year, I don't believe the Heat hang with us in the Finals, but there are too many variables so it's pure conjecture. The fact is the Heat won.

The current roster does not advance out of the West is what I'm saying. They'll win a couple of games this series, though.

untitled-2ehs73.gif

Two consecutive fouls on James there. Foul called on Battier. James complains.

From a matchup standpoint, Indiana is a way bigger threat to OKC and SA than this Heat team. But I'm not going to pull some Heat fan base shenanigans to and hope for the easier matchup. It's all about the best two teams doing battle at this point.

Top Bottom