• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

I don't think you want the Pacers to start suddenly believing in themselves again, like earlier in the year. To me, the Heat continue you show you kinks.
Yeah, I agree to an extent. But that's why I think game 2 is the important one. If they get cocky and lose 3 or 4, ok, fine, they lost a road game. Last year those cocky losses were at home, which was the killer.

Lebron will just try to score more points.

Amazing that dude never gets hurt.

pretty sure we are all waiting for him to break his toe or get sick to compare lol........because you know the first thing people will complain about if he doesn't play on those two occasions.

But man Pacers are rolling with this and it's nice to see hibbert to be back, this should be a real good series.

lil smoke

Banned
Yeah, I agree to an extent. But that's why I think game 2 is the important one. If they get cocky and lose 3 or 4, ok, fine, they lost a road game. Last year those cocky losses were at home, which was the killer.

Yeah, Game 2 is big. Lebron is going to make a huge impact on everything like the 49 point game.

I would be using Battier, wtf he was a beast last year, it's not like he doesn't play D.

Into

When Andersen is your third best offensive player, then shit has gone wrong.

Bosh and Chalmers in particular are a disgrace

Dizzan

MINI Member
cry more. that is on miami for not playing smart.

No Crying. They deserved to lose.

Just lols to everyone that says Miami gets all the calls. There were a few clear fouls not called on them today.

Pacers played well today. Miami won;t be panicking though.

Lose game 2 and they will.

Brashnir

Miami needs a big dammit!

nQgpxmN.jpg

Cloudy

Banned
Hahahahahah no

I'm watching the 2011 ECF game 1 against Chicago to help calm me down. That Bulls team was 1000000% overall better team than these fraud Pacers

I still think Miami wins but the Bulls team wasn't nearly as good as Indy. They have 4 or 5 guys who can create their own shot and an inside presence. They also have multiple guys who can guard Bron and Wade 1on1. Miami's trapping style defense does not work as well when there are several guys who can get the ball

I still think Miami wins but the Bulls team wasn't nearly as good as Indy. They have 4 or 5 guys who can create their own shot and an inside presence. They also have multiple guys who can guard Bron and Wade 1on1. Miami's trapping style defense does not work as well when there are several guys who can get the ball
I disagree...I think 2011 Rose>Paul George now. Rose was quick as hell..maybe quicker than Westbrook. He can penetrate with ease even with the Heat defense and can create his own shot. Deng was great at creating his own shot as well. Boozer=West as far as offense is concerned but I would give Boozer the edge. Noah was still a bit raw but was a better defender than Hibbert.

I disagree...I think 2011 Rose>Paul George now. Rose was quick as hell..maybe quicker than Westbrook. He can penetrate with ease even with the Heat defense and can create his own shot. Deng was great at creating his own shot as well. Boozer=West as far as offense is concerned but I would give Boozer the edge. Noah was still a bit raw but was a better defender than Hibbert.

Am I supposed to care about something that happened in the past that you use to make yourself feel better?

Am I supposed to care about something that happened in the past that you use to make yourself feel better?

Roasted.
I agree with Bam. I think championship match up is gonna be first seed vs first seed. Pacers vs Spurs.

Trey

Rose was quicker but could not guard James like George can. And he couldn't penetrate with ease during that 2011 series because James effectively locked him down.

Boozer doesn't pick and roll as well as West, nor is his jumper as good.

Hibbert has been a menace against the Heat defensively. But I don't know how effective Noah was, so I can't honestly compare.

Here are some of the factors that worked well for the Pacers for an almost perfect storm, that I don't expect to keep on going:

• great ball movement and extra passes to find the open man (3 or 4 lazy pass interceptions notwithstanding)
  • benefit of the doubt with foul calls; they got away with a bunch of contact, had a couple of offensive fouls called their way, etc.
  • all the starters were scoring and executing at a comparable rate; when everyone is equally capable, defending them is that much harder
  • Lance Stephenson was generally in control and only took one pretty bad shot
  • Heat shots weren't dropping even when they had open looks
  • George Hill made free throws
  • George Hill hit 3s
  • George Hill was willing to drive
  • George Hill only passed up one open shot
  • Watson and the rest of the Pacer subs were effective. wat.

I want them to win, so I say all this with affection, and with some amount of finger-crossing for a reverse jinx.

BadAss2961

Rose was great, and so was the defense, but that's about all that Bulls team had on these Pacers. Chicago was still offensively challenged. They had no 2nd scoring option behind Rose when things got tough, which allowed Miami to just zero in on stopping him. Pacers don't have a major flaw like that with their roster.

This is coming from a Bulls fan.

This is complete reductionist drivel. This player-by-player breakdown of teams never gets at the core of what makes a team better than another. In terms of defensive efficiency, this Pacers team in top form is virtually unparalleled in NBA history. They also have multiple playmakers, superfluous interior passing, superior three point shooting, and a deeper bench than that Bulls team had. They also have significantly more playoff experience and is going up against a decrepit, smaller Heat team.

Pimpwerx

Indy played well and Miami didn't. No big deal. Less fouling and better shooting will get us the equalizer Tuesday. Not even worried. PEACE.

Noah is overrated anyway , I'd rather have 0 points Hibbert

lol Booz god ain't as good as west

Rose just got bullied and that was the end of the bulls, even Wade knees could guard him back then

unless its 0:00 on the game clock and the heat lose I'm not counting them out

game 7 Battier will come up big
reason why the celtics lost/almost won the 2010 NBA finals Ray will hit some key shots soon

Quit making false equivelncies, it makes you look silly.

And quit trying to dumb down my argument into a more easily beatable straw man.

So again, answer the question, you are ok with with racist comments, threats to other players, and verbally abusing people about life altering and devastating tragedies?

Just yes or no is all that is needed.

And frankly I just don't understand how you justify intentional fouls with your bleeding heart feelings toward violence.
Trying to dumb down your argument? What's to dumb down? You're the one making things more complicated than they need to be. Your argument is already simple. No need to dumb it down. You believe there is an arbitrary line that warrants violent retaliation. I say there isn't. Even if someone makes racist comments or threats to another player, I still don't agree that it should be answered with violence. And in the case of an actual threat to another player, if the player seriously feels threatened then get the authorities involved. How would me being okay or not with those things change that? It doesn't. You're just trying to change the argument into something else.

You're just trying to change the argument into something else.

He pulled the same thing with me during the Thunder series, after making an arbitrary and ignorant claim that teams should receive a statistically similar number of free throws. When several others (including me) pointed out the absurdity of that claim in light of the plethora of factors that affect that outcome, he kept moving the goal post. He brought up an entirely irrelevant previous conversation about Rajon Rondo (who sucks at free throws but had nothing to do with the topic at hand), used diminutive language in attempting to address me (though I'm one of the older cats on these forums in terms of age), and made up at least two separate and absurd straw man arguments that I certainly never did in attempt to feel like he "won" some debate that existed solely on his mind.

That last part in particular should sound plenty familiar to you in light of how he's been completely dominated in you current discussion regarding smack talk and intentional violence, yet keeps making stuff up and shifting those goals posts. I suggest you do what I did and cease communicating with him. Feeding a troll only gives them exactly what they want and encourages further descent down a rabbit hole of stupidity.

Back on topic, Heat fans can pretend otherwise, but they received a grade A butt whooping today. The score doesn't even reflect how bad they looked. Of course, the probably "weren't trying," right?

Jonm1010

Banned
Trying to dumb down your argument? What's to dumb down? You're the one making things more complicated than they need to be. Your argument is already simple. No need to dumb it down. You believe there is an arbitrary line that warrants violent retaliation. I say there isn't. Even if someone makes racist comments or threats to another player, I still don't agree that it should be answered with violence. And in the case of an actual threat to another player, if the player seriously feels threatened then get the authorities involved. How would me being okay or not with those things change that? It doesn't. You're just trying to change the argument into something else.
There is a difference between advocating violent retaliation to verbal abuse and being ok about a singular, minor, physical retaliation as a response to extreme verbal abuse, as is the case with CP3 and that singular incident.

Unfortunately you can't grasp that and continue to beat that straw man you created saying I advocate physical violence to words. All the while continuing to try to play the moral authority while at the same time having no condemnation for extreme verbal abuse.

Not sure what you are so proud of to keep this going??

Jonm1010

Banned
He pulled the same thing with me during the Thunder series, after making an arbitrary and ignorant claim that teams should receive a statistically similar number of free throws. When several others (including me) pointed out the absurdity of that claim in light of the plethora of factors that affect that outcome, he kept moving the goal post. He brought up an entirely irrelevant previous conversation about Rajon Rondo (who sucks at free throws but had nothing to do with the topic at hand), used diminutive language in attempting to address me (though I'm one of the older cats on these forums in terms of age), and made up at least two separate and absurd straw man arguments that I certainly never did in attempt to feel like he "won" some debate that existed solely on his mind.

That last part in particular should sound plenty familiar to you in light of how he's been completely dominated in you current discussion regarding smack talk and intentional violence, yet keeps making stuff up and shifting those goals posts. I suggest you do what I did and cease communicating with him. Feeding a troll only gives them exactly what they want and encourages further descent down a rabbit hole of stupidity.

Back on topic, Heat fans can pretend otherwise, but they received a grade A butt whooping today. The score doesn't even reflect how bad they looked. Of course, the probably "weren't trying," right?
Tell me where I said teams should have equal free throws? Much like the above poster you have a knack for making assumptions about people and then arguing said assumptions.

I think what I did say at one point is that your all's whining about FT's is not backed up by facts. Oh and maybe some #joke you decided to assume things about.

I did say that over the last five years the Thunder have the second most FT attempts in the league over that period as a response to some Thunder fans whining of not ever getting calls.

That there is reffing issues that lead to wild inconsistencies in how the game is called from player to player.. I told you if you wanted to pursue the conversation any further to look up my post about Evans and Harden a page back to understand my full context about NBA officiating. To which you said you couldn't be bothered.

So perhaps maybe you should do your homework before trying to pile on someone?

You're right and seeing his post right after yours just proved it. Won't waste anymore keystrokes on replying to him on this particular topic. If he feels like he somehow "won" something for having the last say, no matter how flawed his arguments were, then good for him.

And yeah, l also said earlier, some Heat fans were already concerned over facing the Spurs and completely looked past the Pacers. It's just the first game, which are usually the most fluky since teams make adjustments for the remaining games. Still anyone's series, but no fans should be taking these conference finals for granted.

Jonm1010

Banned
You're right and seeing his post right after yours just proved it. Won't waste anymore keystrokes on replying to him on this particular topic. If he feels like he somehow "won" something for having the last say, no matter how flawed his arguments were, then good for him.

I'm not gonna be mad at someone who committed a nutpunch under extreme verbal abuse whereas you find any sort of verbal abuse, be it racist, homophobic, threatening or otherwise A-OK as long as it's in sports.

You're right, this doesn't need to go further. It never did but you kept at it with your bullshit.

Cloudy

Banned

Bulls w/o Rose stopped contending. Pacers without any one of their starters are still a contender in the East. That's the difference between the 2 teams...

They are just much harder to defend than a team with one go-to guy AND they play defense as well

the heat should be bummed that the hawks didn't take the pacers out in round 1 because it appears that somehow, some way hibbert is engaged again.... as is the entire team. seems that they got out of their funk and are playing good basketball again. that doesn't mean the pacers will sweep or even win the series but miami no longer has a cake walk into the finals (as they would have against the pacers team that showed up in round 1 or either the hawks/wizards)

Top Bottom