• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Playoffs |OT| Men lie, Women lie, Bagels don't.

RedEther

OKC are an incredibly flawed team that make up for it in athleticism and getting calls. How in the world are they gonna beat the Heat? No chance.

You also just described Miami.

What happened to everyone's faith in the spurs, imo the series isn't over yet it's only getting interesting.

Cloudy

Banned
What happened to everyone's faith in the spurs, imo the series isn't over yet it's only getting interesting.

I just don't believe a team led by Tim "better legacy than Kobe" Duncan will lose a 2-0 lead in backwards-sweep fashion for the 3rd time...

effzee

Sick of Pop being confrontational here in the conference. Why so salty about legitimate questions? And saying he wasn't arguing with Duncan? Media has a job too.

ISOM

Sigh,the Thunder should just wear Heat uniforms. They're contributing so much so Miami can get that 3-peat.

I don't get this. Should OKC just lay down and let the spurs beat them to face the heat just so that they maybe have a chance at doing what they couldn't do last year? This kind of sentiment seems so retarded.

The writing is on the wall at this point. Pacers are done and the Spurs are about to suffer yet another collapse. Heat win again and that's it. I'm gonna watch the rest of the NHL games while I can.

TuXx

I don't get this. Should OKC just lay down and let the spurs beat them to face the heat just so that they maybe have a cnance at doing what they couldn't do last year? This kind of sentiment seems so retarded.

I don't expect them to, but rooting against OKC isn't a bad thing given their track record against Miami. Everyone just wants to see a competitive finals and OKC vs MIA gives little chance for that to happen

strobogo

Banned
The writing is on the wall at this point. Pacers are done and the Spurs are about to suffer yet another collapse. Heat win again and that's it. I'm gonna watch the rest of the NHL games while I can.

SWERVE: Pacers gonna win 3 straight.

igDBM7XVEQHm5.gif

I just don't believe a team led by Tim "better legacy than Kobe" Duncan will lose a 2-0 lead in backwards-sweep fashion for the 3rd time...
Lol. I had a feeling before, but this post removed all doubt that you're trying to self-invoke the Konex curse. You reeeaally don't want Timmy to match Kobe in cookies.

Kanguro

Neo Member
didnt he go for spurs last year vs heat in finals?

Lebron being ranked ahead of Kobe drives him just as crazy. Even though pretty much anybody that knows anything about basketball would rank him ahead of Kobe, in his mind he can look to Kobe's 5 titles for psychological reassurance.

Sick of Pop being confrontational here in the conference. Why so salty about legitimate questions? And saying he wasn't arguing with Duncan? Media has a job too.

for some reason when he (and similarly Bill Belichek) do it the press find it endearing that he is being a huge prick to them. Doubt they'd let a player get away with the same shit.

effzee

for some reason when he (and similarly Bill Belichek) do it the press find it endearing that he is being a huge prick to them. Doubt they'd let a player get away with the same shit.

Yeah I don't get it. They treat these guys like shit. If they have a problem take it up with the leagues and their respective commissioners.

When he was in a better mood after the game 3 loss he was making jokes. Now that shit has officially hit the fan he wants to lie about his argument with Duncan and just be rude.

DMczaf

Reminds me of the closeout game last series where the commentators were having an orgasm over how Pop would give no reaction to Duncan and Parker walking to the bench.

"LOL LOOK AT THEIR RELATIONSHIPS! ONLY WITH POP AND HIS PLAYERS CAN THIS HAPPEN!"

Fjordson

Eh, media questions are always so dumb, I don't really mind how Pop handles them. Seemingly zero thought goes into their questions after games.

It is true that a player would get ripped by the media for doing that sort of thing, but that's another example of the media being dumb. Not Pop's fault.

Jigolo

as a heat fan I fear Kd and Westbrook. Lebron may be the best on the league but facing the 2nd best along with the 3rd best isn't easy. Westbrook has improved his game so much since 2 years ago.

After last night I don't know who the heat is going to face in the finals. I'm still sticking with my pick the spurs but OKC is looking strong.

Siegcram

Really curious if the Heat can put the Pacers behind them tonight, with possibly two integral rotation players missing (Andersen, Allen).

as a heat fan I fear Kd and Westbrook. Lebron may be the best on the league but facing the 2nd best along with the 3rd best isn't easy. Westbrook has improved his game so much since 2 years ago.

After last night I don't know who the heat is going to face in the finals. I'm still sticking with my pick the spurs but OKC is looking strong.

Between OKC and the Spurs i'll take OKC every time. They're just more fuckball but with 1 player that can play legit offense and Westbrook, who is generally unreliable, making them pretty familiar to the indy team we're playing now. Hell, they might be even worse than them given that Ibaka isn't 100% so they have no interior defense and they'll be facing possibly the best team in the paint.

You add that with the fact that Wade is playing his best playoff basketball in about 3 years and even the Spurs aren't as scary anymore.

Siegcram

I see Indiana winning tonight by a slim margin, and Miami slamming the door in Game 6 in Miami.
Normally I'd agree, but I think the Heat have a perfect record in elimination games in the big 3-era.
The Pacers' chemistry seems to be in the toilet and Lebron is due for a big scoring game.
Plus Bosh should have a big confidence boost after his great showing in gm 4.

I'm like 60:40 in favor of a Heat win tonight. I doubt it will be a blowout, but with this Pacers team even that isn't out of the question. Would be kinda appropriate even.

effzee

Eh, media questions are always so dumb, I don't really mind how Pop handles them. Seemingly zero thought goes into their questions after games.

It is true that a player would get ripped by the media for doing that sort of thing, but that's another example of the media being dumb. Not Pop's fault.

But what would be smart questions? And last night Pop was not having it no matter what the question. But he, like Belichek have built up this persona where instead of being ripped for being assholes to guys doing their jobs, they get celebrated.

Pop was just going off on them last night for reason. Dude asked "What happened when you and Tim Duncan were seen arguing?"

Pop "What argument? I have no idea what you are talking about". Said that with a stone face looking pissed. WTF?

Then a question was asked about if there was anything they did differently and that's why Westbrook went off because they contained him the other games and his only response is "He is a great player". Again looking pissed and annoyed. Go tell Silver you don't want to do any tv or post game interviews.

Bowser

Normally I'd agree, but I think the Heat have a perfect record in elimination games in the big 3-era.
The Pacers' chemistry seems to be in the toilet and Lebron is due for a big scoring game.
Plus Bosh should have a big confidence boost after his great showing in gm 4.

I'm like 60:40 in favor of a Heat win tonight. I doubt it will be a blowout, but with this Pacers team even that isn't out of the question. Would be kinda appropriate even.

How big of a scoring game are we talking? I mean he did just go off for 32 in the last game...

Siegcram

How big of a scoring game are we talking? I mean he did just go off for 32 in the last game...
35+ and aggressively looking for his shot in the halfcourt offense.
Last game many of his points were in transition and he had hardly any freethrows.

Could see him being much more assertive tonight. Even more so if they're missing some players.

effzee

35+ and aggressively looking for his shot in the halfcourt offense.
Last game many of his points were in transition and he had hardly any freethrows.

Could see him being much more assertive tonight. Even more so if they're missing some players.

Any confirmation if Allen and Anderson are out?

Or is it a game time decision?

Jag

Any confirmation if Allen and Anderson are out?

Or is it a game time decision?

Spo's going to hold until the last minute, but I'm fairly positive they are both out. They didn't participate in today's shootaround either.

They have been getting banged up pretty bad. Towards the end of Game 4 Allen took a bad fall and was limping around. He stayed in the game, but you could tell it was gonna hurt.

effzee

Both are listed as game-time decisions, but if I were to guess they're both out.
Allen looked pretty bad and neither was at the shootaround today.

Spo's going to hold until the last minute, but I'm fairly positive they are both out. They didn't participate in today's shootaround either.

They have been getting banged up pretty bad. Towards the end of Game 4 Allen took a bad fall and was limping around. He stayed in the game, but you could tell it was gonna hurt.

Rashard Lewis, Shane Battier, and James Jones are going to have to provide valuable minutes. No sense in playing Allen and Anderson when you are up 3-1 and can afford to possibly lose 1 game.

I do think Miami closes out tonight but with Indiana you never know which team is showing up and with what sense of urgency. They look defeated and Miami should just go for the fill but I can just as easily see Miami not caring and waiting till game 6 in Miami to close out.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Did anyone read the Sterling Statement? It seems to me he makes some valid points regarding the legality / fariness of the process being carried out against him. While I by no means support him, it's hard to argue with the slippery slope being established by the NBA stripping him of his franchise (Mark Cuban pointed this out as well, although he predictably got torn apart by the internet rage machine).

The strongest point is believe is this:

ESPN said:
Sterling specifically references Orlando Magic owner Richard DeVos, who, in his words, "has made highly controversial comments against individuals with HIV/AIDS and generously supports anti-homosexual causes with impunity."

This specifically refers to donations of half a million dollars to the National Organization for Marriage (which opposes gay rights) that at the time sparked calls for a boycott from LGBT right groups and no response from the NBA.

Why should this retrograde homophobe be allowed to keep his team while Sterling is not? As I understand it, racism is related to actual racist actions with the indirect or direct impact of discriminating. Simply having racist opinions is not a crime.

Secondly, I found the baiting aspect (alongside the fact it was illegally recorded), to contribute to the danger of this precedent, specifically:

Sterling statement said:
Ms. Stiviano: I don’t understand how you can have so much hate towards minorities.
Mr. Sterling: I don’t have any hate, I love them.
Ms. Stiviano: I cannot understand. . .
Mr. Sterling: Why would you say I hate. . .
Ms. Stiviano: How a person like you who’s elevated, who’s here still feels he’s above
the world and you can’t even be seen with someone in which is considered
of a different skin color?
Mr. Sterling: They can be with me all day long and all night long.
Ms. Stiviano: I can’t believe that a man who’s educated, a man who’s a scholar, a man...
Mr. Sterling: Well, believe it, and stop talking about it. Let’s finish our discussion with
a period, okay? You’re not making any good points. You can’t believe
this man—that’s all I am.

V. Stiviano is almost begging Sterling to say something racist.

I have no doubt Sterling is, in fact, a racist, and I have no doubt the NBA is better off with him out of it. BUT the precedent of illegally recording someone, baiting them into stating racist or bigoted opinions and then using that evidence to strip them of assets seems extremely dangerous to me.

Jag

They look defeated and Miami should just go for the fill but I can just as easily see Miami not caring and waiting till game 6 in Miami to close out.

Miami needs to go for the kill, no sense in dragging any series on any longer than necessary. Besides potential for upsets, why put extra minutes on your guys.

5 more wins Miami. Let's do this!

Vestal

Miami closes tonight in 5 but I feel a few things will happen.

1. There will be a physical confrontation of sorts. Either between Shard and West or Lance and everyone.

2. At one point Miami will turn up the pressure, force an Indy time out and there will be some inner fighting in the huddle. Probably between Lance and George.

3. Greg Oden will play at least 10 min in this game and have significant impact.

Ok 3rd one is a dream, but damn wouldn't it be great to see.

One man that deserves credit for Thunders win is Brooks. As harsh as I have been on him and his coaching ways, the dude did make changes maybe because (he had no choice), no but seriously he made adjustments realized how athleticism in his guard play is something he use to his advantage. But for him to stop favoring Perkins and Sefolosha and playing Lamb and Stevens is great. Lamb can get you something offensively, unlike Sefolosha. Butler can get you like 4-6 points per game in 20 minutes I hope.

J2 Cool

Is this shit frowned upon in NBA threads? Not like Indiana/Miami is anything to talk about tonight though.

UY2C1a6.jpg

I took Magic, MJ, KD, KG, Hakeem. Athelticism, some range, defense at rim and ability to run.

Is this shit frowned upon in NBA threads? Not like Indiana/Miami is anything to talk about tonight though.

UY2C1a6.jpg
[/img]

I took Magic, MJ, KD, KG, Hakeem. Athelticism, some range, defense at rim and ability to run.

Michael Jordan?

Why?

Hes not even the best MJ?

Also It will be a nice day when Lebarn's career is over. My interest in the NBA is at an all time low.

Teriyaki

UY2C1a6.jpg
[/img]

MJ, MJ, Pip, Dirk, Shaq is my squad.

Isiah, Kobe, Bird, KG, Wilt for a team that wants to kill each other.

Top Bottom