• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NHL Playoffs |OT2| 'Yoff Harder

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Bryz is awesome. I would like to hang out with him.

Also people who have read the books and see spoiling GoT is pretty dumb. Why do that?

For GoT fans who haven't read the books, I'd be careful reading some of the spoiler tagged discussion in the non-book reader thread. It seems like a few people have read the books and are pretending to not have and putting a lot of stuff out there. That or they're just incredibly lucky / astute with their speculation.

I can guarantee that's what is going on with several posters in the non-spoiler thread. There's no way some people are throwing guesses as accurate and often as a few folks are.

Razorskin

----- ------
For GoT fans who haven't read the books, I'd be careful reading some of the spoiler tagged discussion in the non-book reader thread. It seems like a few people have read the books and are pretending to not have and putting a lot of stuff out there. That or they're just incredibly lucky / astute with their speculation.

Yeah I'd never venture there, though I hardly ever read show OTs, if I did I wouldn't have made that Hannibal gif as someone already did there.

tearsreyle.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I can guarantee that's what is going on with several posters in the non-spoiler thread. There's no way some people are throwing guesses as accurate and often as a few folks are.
That's my thought as well, there's no way some of these people are correctly guessing ideas as well as they are. it's pretty sad to see. How much of a piece of shit do you have to be to try and get some kind of gratification from that? If you haven't read the books, just don't bother with the thread, it's not worth risking it. The discussion in the thread doesn't add to the show anyways.

Roflobear

I haven't seen it but I don't think it's worth going in that thread at all. Apparently last season a guy spoiled a major plot point for no apparent reason

Socreges

Banned
This has been happening since the beginning. I'd call them out and they'd deny it. I haven't bothered to go into those threads for a couple years now.

One of the most amusing/frustrating examples was when Amir0x (back when he was a mod) included a spoiler in a thread title he created, denied that it was a spoiler, and refused to change it. That fucking guy.

Red_Man

This has been happening since the beginning. I'd call them out and they'd deny it. I haven't bothered to go into those threads for a couple years now.

One of the most amusing/frustrating examples was when Amir0x (back when he was a mod) included a spoiler in a thread title he created, denied that it was a spoiler, and refused to change it. That fucking guy.
I typically stay out of OT's for shows, because Gaf just shits on every show and in general has really terrible discussions regarding this stuff, but I read the GoT ones just to see how people react to some of the big events. It sucks there's no real way to prevent it, just giving everyone a heads up because there are quite a few posts spoiling stuff for the rest of this season in tonight's posts that are trying to hide behind the "I'm just speculating but....." cover.

I typically stay out of OT's for shows, because Gaf just shits on every show and in general has really terrible discussions regarding this stuff, but I read the GoT ones just to see how people react to some of the big events. It sucks there's no real way to prevent it, just giving everyone a heads up because there are quite a few posts spoiling stuff for the rest of this season in tonight's posts that are trying to hide behind the "I'm just speculating but....." cover.

It's especially obnoxious because most of them are throwing out "speculation" that you could never, ever, ever infer from just the show. People have posted detailed explanations of what they "think" is going to happen which just-so-happens to be a literal description of AFFC/ADWD events. It actively taints the conversation in the non-book thread because it pushes people to narrative places they shouldn't even be considering yet. It's absurd, but you can't call anyone out because like you said they can always retreat into speculation.

I don't even know what you can get out of that. Internet cred? For "guessing" plotlines in a tv show?

Red_Man

I love how most movie and show OT's usually sway back and forth between overwhelming love and pure cynical criticism.
It happens with every big movie / TV show. That's why I quit reading OT's for that kind of stuff a while back, they just ruin your impression of shows and people spend so much time trying to force their opinions on others.

It actively taints the conversation in the non-book thread because it pushes people to narrative places they shouldn't even be considering yet.

I don't even know what you can get out of that. Internet cred? For "guessing" plotlines in a tv show?
This is the biggest problem I have with it, because it's putting people in places they shouldn't be yet, and one of the best aspects of GoT is the unexpected twists and turns that characters take and where they end up. These assholes are taking that away from new viewers, and I guess that internet cred is what they get, to say "I called it!". If that's your motivation than you must be living a pretty shitty life.

Socreges

Banned
It happens with every big movie / TV show. That's why I quit reading OT's for that kind of stuff a while back, they just ruin your impression of shows and people spend so much time trying to force their opinions on others.

This is the biggest problem I have with it, because it's putting people in places they shouldn't be yet, and one of the best aspects of GoT is the unexpected twists and turns that characters take and where they end up. These assholes are taking that away from new viewers, and I guess that internet cred is what they get, to say "I called it!". If that's your motivation than you must be living a pretty shitty life.
There are exceptions. Like True Detective.

Roflobear

These assholes are taking that away from new viewers, and I guess that internet cred is what they get, to say "I called it!". If that's your motivation than you must be living a pretty shitty life.

Is it multiple people? If so, then don't they realize it's a lot more lame when a bunch of other book readers are pulling the same nonsense they are?

Red_Man

Is it multiple people? If so, then don't they realize it's a lot more lame when a bunch of other book readers are pulling the same nonsense they are?
I just browsed a couple pages tonight and saw 3-4 people make "speculative posts" that were way too accurate for someone guessing, they're probably falling for the same trick they think they're pulling on others.

It just occurred to me that if Habs get to the Finals and the Wild beat Beathawks AND we get to the next round...

Saku Koivu will have to verse his brother, and then his former team to win a Stanley Cup.

That's a fucking story right there.

I've decided that I want the Wild to take the series so that I can see the mythical Sonic helmet in person. Plus it would be nice to give Ilya a nice ovation on his return. Say what you will about Ducks fans, but there's always a standing O whenever a former player comes back to the building.

Congratulations on already moving on to the WCF.

Razorskin

----- ------
It just occurred to me that if Habs get to the Finals and the Wild beat Beathawks AND we get to the next round...

Saku Koivu will have to verse his brother, and then his former team to win a Stanley Cup.

That's a fucking story right there.

That would be neat,

but first two things aren't happening.

If it did though... Oh man...

Also to the surprise of absolutely nobody - Gibson is starting Game 5.

The Hiller era is now officially over.

xJEF0bY.gif

H0YDadM.jpg

You're causing me pain Dastardly, don't put those thoughts in my head.

Hurts me thinking beyond this round as well. But nobody can deny that it'd be an awesome story.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I just browsed a couple pages tonight and saw 3-4 people make "speculative posts" that were way too accurate for someone guessing, they're probably falling for the same trick they think they're pulling on others.

I haven't read that thread recently but when I did read it, some of the guesses were far too accurate. I need to watch tonight's episode.

Curufinwe

If you have a specific example I would report it to Cornballer by PM. He is pretty ruthless about deleting anything that's from outside the show.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Gibson back in net tonight? I'm okay with that.

Perrault is back tonight as well. Still no Beleskey.

Might as well leave him in. If God wills it, he will be starting for us for the next era of Ducks hockey. Give him dat Big Show experience right off the bat.

Sanjuro

Gibson is kind of placed in there at an ideal time. If he loses the series for them, the blame can be directed in a variety of ways.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Gibson back in net tonight? I'm okay with that.

Perrault is back tonight as well. Still no Beleskey.

I don't know why you wouldn't ride him. Dude is coming off a shutout and undefeated in the NHL. Seems like a no-brainer to me. It's not like the other guys have been better.

Not entirely sure if they were playing shutdown hockey after the first 2G from last game... Or they weren't trying to generate a SOG.

I mean, really, they should've been able to get a few SOG even while playing shutdown hockey. Mistakes still happen on the Kings end (they did) and it would be foolhardy to not attempt to capitalise on them properly (they tried).

I have no effing idea what the next logical step is going to be, and you just know Sutter is changing things up. Wouldn't surprise me to see things changed up on the Kings blue line.

EEEEUUUGGGGHHH BACK TO NERVE WRACKING!

Calamari41

41 > 38
Not entirely sure if they were playing shutdown hockey after the first 2G from last game... Or they weren't trying to generate a SOG.

I mean, really, they should've been able to get a few SOG even while playing shutdown hockey. Mistakes still happen on the Kings end (they did) and it would be foolhardy to not attempt to capitalise on them properly (they tried).

I have no effing idea what the next logical step is going to be, and you just know Sutter is changing things up. Wouldn't surprise me to see things changed up on the Kings blue line.

EEEEUUUGGGGHHH BACK TO NERVE WRACKING!

I mean, yeah, the Kings kept the puck in our zone for most of the rest of the game, but the 0 SOG stat is a little deceptive. It's not like there was absolutely zero offense. The shots were just wide, missed, or blocked. I'm not saying that the Ducks were doing even fine on offense for the last two periods, but it wasn't like they never saw the Kings zone like the stat implies.

Edit: I realize that my statement amounts to "yeah but if more of the Duck shots had been shots on goal, there would have been more shots on goal!" but you guys get what I'm trying unsuccessfully to say.

Top Bottom