• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Past trends refers really to "recent trends". A player can get hot now; doesn't mean he's better than one who isn't. Crosby is still the best player in the world despite being so-so in the tournament thus far.

On paper, Canada has a team of all-stars, like the USA basketball teams of the 90s. If you fail to see that, maybe you should watch more hockey.

Who has the most points in the nhl over the last 3 years? (including the olympics, because... why not?)

Socreges

Banned
Luongo has allowed 0 goals, been to the cup finals, and won a gold medal. There is no clear reason to go with Price.
Babcock said he would put the most emphasis on recent NHL performances. That's the reason. Hasn't exactly borne fruit yet, but maybe Price will be lights out against the U.S.

Acid08

Banned
Who, on paper, currently outscores all but Kessel and Kane in the NHL? You were saying.

He was picked mostly due to his chemistry with Crosby - agree it's a weak pick (much preferred Giroux), but he would crack the USA team without any doubt.

Bobby Ryan didn't make it but Kunitz would?

Syf

Banned
Babcock said he would put the most emphasis on recent NHL performances. That's the reason. Hasn't exactly borne fruit yet, but maybe Price will be lights out against the U.S.
Yeah, definitely could be. Price can be an incredible goaltender. I just don't understand why Luongo was only given one game. You'd think the incumbent gold medal winner would have the job until he lost it.

Who has the most points in the nhl over the last 3 years? (including the olympics, because... why not?)

I think Kessel does, but that's mostly due to Crosby injuries, let's not even go there.

Kessel is a good player - I am not denying it. But he is very streaky. Let's hope his hot streak dies on Friday.

Dragon

Banned
Would Vancouver have rioted in 2010 if they would have lost the final to the Americans?

Silly question, I mean hell they rioted after losing a Stanley Cup game...

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, definitely could be. Price can be an incredible goaltender. I just don't understand why Luongo was only given one game. You'd think the incumbent gold medal winner would have the job until he lost it.
Luongo was injured in January and was the 'tender for a losing team heading into the Olympics. However much he regained his form in the one game with an actual solid team in front of him, you know Babcock had already made up his mind.

Syf

Banned
More accurate assessment is points per game. Crosby wins, easily. You bring up points because he only played 22 games in 2011-12. He is undoubtedly the best forward in terms of point production when healthy.
Luongo was injured in January and was the 'tender for a losing team heading into the Olympics. However much he regained his form in the one game with an actual solid team in front of him, you know Babcock had already made up his mind.
I guess that's fair.

Socreges

Banned
I'm actually surprised that both the US and Canada have made it this far. The bigger ice hasn't been as large a factor as I'd expected.

The U.S. wingers seem to have taken greater advantage of the extra space, too.

Razorskin

----- ------
DAT SALT

DAT SALT

ezgif-saveassmc.gif

Mattilaus

Neo Member
Crosby is just our shutdown guy. He keeps the top D men on the other team focused on him so that they can't play against our Ducks or Hawks!

calder

Your old timer salt reserves are running low. I can keep on salting for months.

Whippersnappers. Sure you may think you have the salt to get through the whole Olympics, and you might even be right, but don't come crying to me in April when the Sharks choke in the first round against LA and you can't even muster outrage as Dustin Brown injures 2 guys every game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Mark Lazerus ‏@MarkLazerus

Patrick Kane wanted to clarify the quote @usahockey tweeted. He said Kessel was "the most naturally gifted" not "the best" he's played with.

Ryan Rishaug @TSNRyanRishaug

Toews asked about Kane.. “He’s alright, that Kessel guy is even better”

LOL

cube444

Like I said, Russia wouldn't even medal. My pick to win it all was Sweden but I don't know if they have enough with H. Sedin, Zetterberg and Franzen out.

Canada needs to raise its game against the USA or they'll be playing for Bronze.

Curufinwe

Who, on paper, currently outscores all but Kessel and Kane in the NHL? You were saying.

He was picked mostly due to his chemistry with Crosby - agree it's a weak pick (much preferred Giroux), but he would crack the USA team without any doubt.

Okposo didn't and he has more points than Kunitz, playing with an inferior center.

So you're wrong to assume Kunitz would have been a lock for the US team.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Carlyle said he's not surprised Kessel and vanRiemsdyk have chemistry with Pavelski because he plays similar to Bozak :lol :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom