• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
"Jonathan was paying the price [when he dropped down on the ice to block a shot from the slot], and Carey was making the Toews."

FUCK YOU, RON MACLEAN

Arturs Irbe would have shutout the Canadians, scored the GWG in the gold medal game, and bested Vlad Putin in martial combat to the death for MOTHER LATVIJAS

edit but he took a 47 years old to the knees.

Jayhawk

Even when there are televisions in the cafeteria plus a projector setup to show the games at work, I seem to be the only one yelling and getting excited. :(

I plan on taking a long lunch break on Friday to catch the USA-Canada game at a bar somewhere in northeast of the Toronto area. Then, I will have to convince a friend or two to be the designated driver for either the bronze or gold medal game this weekend while I start a drinking game like "take a shot every time Crosby turns the puck over in the offensive zone".

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the end of the Can/Lat game (I was listening during work)

Goddamn...! It's a shame the Flyers couldn't pry Weber out of Nashville. This dude is legit!

He's the type of guy I think an offer sheet would be worth it.

Other than that, props to Latvia and their fierce defense!

Samyy

Exactly. What a bullshit reason. Oshie was on Access Hollywood after his shootout stuff, NHL would never gain this kind if exposure otherwise.

And NHLPA will fight to make sure players go
I'm sure NHL central management is all for it, its just the team GM's/owners causing the fuss.

Mattilaus

Neo Member
The difference is that the world cup of hockey would be run by the NHL thus giving them the profits. They do not gain any direct profits from the olympics and they argue the exposure isn't worth the risk of their players getting hurt. They are also still paid their NHL salaries for these two weeks where they are not playing in the NHL or earning the NHL any money.

Personally I want them in the olympics but I understand the argument by the NHL

zroid

Banned
To be honest, I only started getting interested in the NHL after we won gold in Vancouver. The whole thing was so exciting. I can't imagine I'm alone in this. I think the league would be leaving a lot of potential new viewers on the table by not going to the Olympics.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
To be honest, I only started getting interested in the NHL after we won gold in Vancouver. The whole thing was so exciting. I can't imagine I'm alone in this. I think the league would be leaving a lot of potential new viewers on the table by not going to the Olympics.
This. Especially in the US market. If they're willing to keep a team in the shit hole that is Phoenix with no money, two weeks of international exposure shouldn't be an issue.

Silexx

Bg4SaOPIMAA7Ikt.jpg

For reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJD3qcIL7s

Jayhawk

I'm all for having the NHL players participate in the Olympics for the growth of hockey worldwide, but situations like Tavares, Barkov, and Zetterberg getting themselves injured while participating sucks for their NHL teams and the owners who pay them.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I had a dream last night that Teethmummy was in my class.

Not the old spice guy, it was literally a white dude with a sign that said "Teethmummy" in front of him.

It was weird as hell.

Sup brah, I'm in your head.

Not handling this Tavares news well. Like really not handling it well. Ligament damage could affect his status for next years opener. What did I do to deserve this?!

At least USA still going strong.

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys sorry about the random question but do any of you guys have a picture of Kessel in the astronaut suit? That shit was awesome and I saw it used as someone's avatar once but a google didn't turn up the pic.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Just watched the end of the Can/Lat game (I was listening during work)

Goddamn...! It's a shame the Flyers couldn't pry Weber out of Nashville. This dude is legit!

He's the type of guy I think an offer sheet would be worth it.

Other than that, props to Latvia and their fierce defense!

They nearly did too....

Then Nashville fucking trolled them hard.

RC

Banned
Hey guys sorry about the random question but do any of you guys have a picture of Kessel in the astronaut suit? That shit was awesome and I saw it used as someone's avatar once but a google didn't turn up the pic.

Sounds like a job for our resident Kesselphile, Quick.

iLLmAtlc

I just wanted to point out that people laughed at me when I said USA has a strong team. Now I feel better.

I don't think I did any laughing here but to me USA looked like a one and done team on paper. Seemed like at the time that they left off a lot of guys who could help them score goals (Yandle, Byfuglien, Ryan, Pominville) and I wasn't sure they had the firepower to match Canada or Sweden because of it. I also thought their team lacked a true number 1 centre compared to the other countries.

Alas I was dead wrong because team USA has been easily the best team so far.

Quick

Banned

iblb5yuiKVjw6v.jpg
ibtUiZ9wXHxil4.jpg

Copyright Quick From GAF.

Sounds like a job for our resident Kesselphile, Quick.

To Kessel is to um, well, you know, love, yeah, you know.

All these historical Quick images just reminded me that the Olympics is almost over and the NHL is almost back.

Thus:

2dHNVgS.gif

racistimage.jpg[IMG]

For reference: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJD3qcIL7s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPJD3qcIL7s[/URL][/QUOTE]

That song fucking sucks.

Decado

Remember when people were saying Canada was stacked with forwards, defence was a bit more iffy, and goaltending was the biggest question mark?

To the first, yes. To the last, yes. To the middle, no. Canada always was reported to have the strongest defense.

We still have the best lineup of forwards...they're just not playing like it. Which is, admittedly, a bit of an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom