• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
CBC News interview with a tween girl in Toronto:

"Kessel's my husband, but I'm still supporting my team."

Cute or weird?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
We don't let dubbed control anything as he's a Panthers fan and is liable to sell anything for scratch tickets.

10 bucks? Isn't that like four 50/50 tickets thay you can then redeem for full tickets if you don't win?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
To cap off the season they're just gonna accept all loser tickets and have a fan paper mache night. The person who makes the most convincing crack pipe gets season tickets next year.

"Did you attend a game where Florida lost this season? Redeem your ticket for another free entry!"

........ I feel like that seems way too likely to be true.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They updated that sign

sMc2kX8.jpg

Var

I am still feeling pretty salty about the US loss earlier, but congrats Canada. The better team won. US should have brought Babby.

I have the worst headache after hearing Bob McKenzie call this a "perfect game". Gold or Silver, this is going to be the dullest Olympic medal ever given out.

I have the worst headache after hearing Bob McKenzie call this a "perfect game". Gold or Silver, this is going to be the dullest Olympic medal ever given out.

30+ shots for each team, plenty of scoring chances. I wouldn't call it dull when each shot is so important.

It is dull when one team dominates play with the other collapsing and trapping. See the Latvia game.

Canada played perfect defence. Bylsma seems to have a weakness against that, as seen by the Boston series.

Slurmer

Banned
30+ shots for each team, plenty of scoring chances. I wouldn't call it dull when each shot is so important.

It is dull when one team dominates play with the other collapsing and trapping. See the Latvia game.

Canada played perfect defence. Bylsma seems to have a weakness against that, as seen by the Boston series.
That's it! It's Bylsma's fault!
Fucking Penguins...

zedge

I love my US neighbours BTW, but they're also our biggest rivalry in hockey ATM, that's why everyone up here loves beating them. If they were a shit team nobody would care.

Pretty much. Beating the US is always the big one. If it was Russia it would be close, but anyone else we probably wouldn't give a crap. No offence, Sweden etc who are every bit as good as Canada. There is just no rivalry there.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I think a rivalry with the Swedes is kind of starting thanks to the World Juniors. I still remember the Swedish players proclaiming how Canada isn't that good and how they would beat us easily (which was promptly followed by a loss at the hands of the Canadians :p).

zroid

Banned
I am really enjoying the irony that Kunitz was brought to the Olympics solely to enhance Crosby's game, whereas in this match where Crosby finally showed up to play, Kunitz's general shittiness is probably the chief reason Sid didn't get any points. All those would-be assists gone to waste.

RC

Banned
In Saskatchewan, bars have been given permission to open & serve alcohol early on Sunday, at 5:30am (normally, the earliest they can do this is 9:30am).

http://globalnews.ca/news/1165103/regina-bars-given-green-light-to-open-early-for-gold-medal-hockey-game/

Bars can stay open, but they can't serve alcohol past 3am in BC. A friend of mine even started an online petition, to allow alcohol to be served during the gold medal game and was even interviewed by the Fifth Estate. But it was all for nothing, just like I told him.

MacAttack

That's it! It's Bylsma's fault!
Fucking Penguins...

I knew it. Fucking penguins.... They ruin everything.

There is one more parallel to be drawn between the two coaching staffs:

344305-claude-julien.jpg

Canadians dominated the game despite only scoring one goal and deserved the win. It was fun to watch the US beat up on the weaker teams while it lasted, looking forward to the rest of the NHL season even more now.

I am really enjoying the irony that Kunitz was brought to the Olympics solely to enhance Crosby's game, whereas in this match where Crosby finally showed up to play, Kunitz's general shittiness is probably the chief reason Sid didn't get any points. All those would-be assists gone to waste.

Kuntiz has struggled to be sure, but I didn't think he was bad today. For me it's more that we needed him to showing that chemistry with Crosby early in the tournament and for whatever reason he just wasn't able to. It does indeed now look like MSL/Giroux should have had his spot and minutes.

calder

In Saskatchewan, bars have been given permission to open & serve alcohol early on Sunday, at 5:30am (normally, the earliest they can do this is 9:30am).

http://globalnews.ca/news/1165103/regina-bars-given-green-light-to-open-early-for-gold-medal-hockey-game/

A lot of bars will be open here in Winnipeg too. "Liquor authorities have approved 76 applications for bars & restos that wanna open at 5 a.m. Sunday to serve gold-medal-hockey patrons."

There's a couple places opening within a short walk of my place, I may wander into one. Probably not right at 5am though that's for damn sure.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Oh Canada . . . now that is low. Careful now . . . you get all uppity like that and tanks may have to roll across the border. It is not like we are known for making rational war decisions you know.

Pretty sure that picture is from the US

iLLmAtlc

West coast associates are you guys staying up or getting up early? I think I'm gonna stay up, getting up at 4am seems like a bitch.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That was definitely Crosby and Kunitz's best game, but Kunitz really has to bury some of these golden chances Crosby is laying for him. That being said, this is possibly the best Olympic defense group I can ever remember seeing. Today was a perfect game defensively for Canada.

A lot of bars will be open here in Winnipeg too. "Liquor authorities have approved 76 applications for bars & restos that wanna open at 5 a.m. Sunday to serve gold-medal-hockey patrons."

There's a couple places opening within a short walk of my place, I may wander into one. Probably not right at 5am though that's for damn sure.

City council approved Toronto bars as well.

nullref

It's tempting, but I probably won't take advantage. I'm thinking the girlfriend and I will watch at home, over a hearty breakfast of pancakes with maple syrup, BC smoked salmon, and beer.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Good game Canada! Hurts to lose, but that's OK, we have the Stanley Cup (for the last twenty-one years) to cry our bitter tears into.

HAHAHAHA Ok, we send you McFluffy and the rest of the American players up north, and you send us our boys back. Then we see how many Cups American cities can win.

Acid08

Banned
HAHAHAHA Ok, we send you McFluffy and the rest of the American players up north, and you send us our boys back. Then we see how many Cups American cities can win.
They win for American cities though. Are most Canadians cool with their cities not winning just because Canadian players are winning elsewhere?

I know, I was just having a bit of fun. Really, though, congrats to Canada and good luck in the gold medal game. Here's hoping that the US can medal, at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom