• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroGravity

Kunitz back playing with Crosby in practice. Looks like he's not getting scratched, and St. Louis is the extra forward so looks like he will be.

Fuck Babcock.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Slovenia advances to face Sweden.

Glorious victory over Austria.
5Wg2QKf.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also, way to go Slovenia! We did a job over there last summer and the Slovenians were just the nicest fucking people on the planet, so I've been rooting for them throughout these games whenever possible.

Not tomorrow against my dashingly handsome liege, though.

ICKE

Banned
Norway has played extremely well, definitely their best game in the tournament. They are well organized but only lack a few more world class attackers to make their mark in international hockey.

Hopefully they continue to improve. Having tight games between Sweden, Norway and Finland would be great for the sport.

Norway has played extremely well, definitely their best game in the tournament. They are well organized but only lack a few more world class attackers to make their mark in international hockey.

Hopefully they continue to improve. Having tight games between Sweden, Norway and Finland would be great for the sport.

Yeah good to see more countries making progress (most notably Switzerland). Shame that some are regressing at the same time though (Slovakia and checz).

ICKE

Banned
Norway playing some great hockey in the third now. Would be nice to see one goal

3-0, empty net. It was a good effort from Norway. Tomorrow is going to be tough.....

zroid

Banned
Radulov best player for Russia in the tournament, says Healy

I haven't watched them enough to be able to dispute that, but lol

yuraya

Pretty easily Datsyuk imo, but Radulov did have a good game.

I agree about Datsyuk. He has been the only Russian player to show up to these games imo. Everyone else has been inconsistent. And that is kind of weird considering Datsyuk is 35 and sat out a bunch of games with the wings this season with injuries. Maybe that rest has helped him out.

Parch

Even with the extra game Russia probably has the easiest route to the final. Swedish injuries up the middle make them the underdog to beat the Russians.

Meanwhile Canada will have to deal with the friggin' Americans. One of those teams is going to be disappointed to be battling for bronze.

Curufinwe

Even with the extra game Russia probably has the easiest route to the final. Swedish injuries up the middle make them the underdog to beat the Russians.

Meanwhile Canada will have to deal with the friggin' Americans. One of those teams is going to be disappointed to be battling for bronze.

Russia has to get past Finland's stingy defense first.

pestul

Holy crap that Czech Republic team is old (just checking the roster, hadn't seen them play yet).. sad to see development of talent fall off so much for a once great hockey nation.

Samyy

Would still be considered a pretty big upset. There's always potential for upset in all of the possible quarters matchups, but I wouldn't bet on it. The top 4 deserve to be there.

Finland has more Olympic hockey medals then Canada, no pushover.

Curufinwe

Holy crap that Czech Republic team is old (just checking the roster, hadn't seen them play yet).. sad to see development of talent fall off so much for a once great hockey nation.

It was badly selected.

Nedved, Novotny and Cervenka over Hudler, Vrbata, Havlat, Fleischmann and Tlusty.

Krajicek, Barinka and Kaberle over Polak, Hejda and Kindl.

I agree about Datsyuk. He has been the only Russian player to show up to these games imo. Everyone else has been inconsistent. And that is kind of weird considering Datsyuk is 35 and sat out a bunch of games with the wings this season with injuries. Maybe that rest has helped him out.

Are they trying to find linemates for Ovechkin?

calder

I don't think there are going to be any guaranteed "easy" QF's, but I don't see any huge upsets. I expect the Smellies to beat Latvia, but Czech/Slovakia is really tough to predict and whoever wins the play-in will be a big underdog to overwhelming Gold Medal Favourite Phill Kessel and the Americans. Russia is going to have trouble with the Finns for the same reason Canada will have trouble with Team Smelly but both should hopefully score a few goals and advance.

Those semi finals though are going to be insane. It's funny how after all the buildup I'm actually kinda ready for the Olympics to end already, I want to see what the Jets are going to do after the break. Partly it's because the last few days of the Olympics are always "just fucking end already" but I think a big part of it is that Canada won at home last time and that was so special it's tough to imagine how even winning it all this time can compare. Combine that with the women's gold medal in Vancouver too and nothing can top that.

The time zones may have something to do with it, perhaps I've just seen less or whatever but there hasn't been the same sort of fantastic games between other teams like in 2010 when Slovakia and Norway had one of the most exciting games ever.

Speaking off, I'm predicting a 4-1 US win in the women's gold medal game. I felt all along that the US was a bit more talented and the semifinals sure didn't change my mind at all, and like I said before the Olympics started I can't imagine Canada lucking out and winning a squeaker again.

zroid

Banned
Tough decision here. Watch the game I care about (SUI/LAT) but put up with Healy, or watch CZE/SVK?

Speaking off, I'm predicting a 4-1 US win in the women's gold medal game. I felt all along that the US was a bit more talented and the semifinals sure didn't change my mind at all, and like I said before the Olympics started I can't imagine Canada lucking out and winning a squeaker again.

From what I've seen so far, Americans definitely have the much faster and more skilled forwards, but Canada seems to have a stronger defence and better goaltending. It won't be as pretty if we win, but I don't think it would be a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom