• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Olympic Men's Ice Hockey Tournament | Salt on an international level

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Does pulling the goaltender ever work out? I mean, I'm sure it does otherwise teams wouldn't do it, but when I used to go to local games it seemed like it always resulted in a free score.

Just like that. And the one in the previous game.

calder

Empty netter, 3-1 Latvia.

Sorry Smelly, but I had to cheer for Latvia in this game. I can't ignore the underdog in this situation, and then there's the whole tactical element to it...

zroid

Banned
Does pulling the goaltender ever work out? I mean, I'm sure it does otherwise teams wouldn't do it, but when I used to go to local games it seemed like it always resulted in a free score.

Just like that. And the one in the previous game.

Empty net goals are fairly common, but statistically it's probably beneficial. Chances of losing whether or not you pull the goalie are high, so the small increase in the chances of scoring makes it worth it.

Yes, it works sometimes. Rarely, but it does work on occasion and is very exciting when it does.

calder

Tomorrow watch as Slovenia, Finland, Latvia and the Czechs all win and the NHL cancels their participation at the end of the last game.

yyzjohn

Banned
Tomorrow watch as Slovenia, Finland, Latvia and the Czechs all win and the NHL cancels their participation at the end of the last game.

Finland and Czechs winning wouldn't be such a shocker, Slovenia and Latvia is a whole other level of upset.

Hunter S.

Yes,it certainly does. It is such a great thing because the team defied the odds and won. If you watch hockey for years you will see it happen many times.

fallout

Clicked on the link saying "please be Stefan, please be Stefan" and was not disappointed. Truly one of the greatest plays in the history of sports, assuming you like failure of the most hilarious kind.
I'll remember watching that on TV more than any other hockey moment.

Socreges

Banned
It probably works out more in the NHL than it does on international ice. It does work, sometimes with hilarious results: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc7HztZS9R4
Missing Ferraro's awesome response

The puck really did bounce in the worst possible way. I'm sure players had scored empty netters like that a thousand times before, but it had never bounced at that precise moment. After that, though, I feel like there was a discernible shift in how cautiously and deliberately players shot the puck into the empty net.

So glad I didn't watch hockey and the stars back then. I would've raged in epic proportions if that happened.
Nice avatar

Clicked on the link saying "please be Stefan, please be Stefan" and was not disappointed. Truly one of the greatest plays in the history of sports, assuming you like failure of the most hilarious kind.

Drafted first overall, just before the Sedins. Apologies if I summon Tabris with that remark.

Why are you saying Czechoslovakia?

It's the Czech Republic and Slovakia now. Two teams. Both in this tournament too :(. Unless you be Trollin.

Yeah it was a joke because they were playing each other and the word was on my autocorrect.

calder

Fun NHL fact: pulling your goalie versus the Jets works about 90% of the time I'm pretty sure. Or don't bother and just tie the game with under a minute to go 5 on 5.

Acid08

Banned
TomHertl 12:32pm via Twitter for iPhone

Tommorow Czech vs USA tommorow 3:2 for czech. USA good luck next olympic 2018!:-DDD:p

Wouldn't even be mad if the Czechs beat us. Happy Hertl makes me happy :-DDD:p

Yawnier

Banned
I'm a few hours late but I'm certainly surprised Latvia beat Switzerland. I thought for sure that the Swiss would beat them and then give us (Canada) a hard time in the next game because of their defensive style and goalie.

pestul

I'm a few hours late but I'm certainly surprised Latvia beat Switzerland. I thought for sure that the Swiss would beat them and then give us (Canada) a hard time in the next game because of their defensive style and goalie.
Yeah, well Latvia might very well give us a hard time anyway..

Quick

Banned
Fun NHL fact: pulling your goalie versus the Jets works about 90% of the time I'm pretty sure. Or don't bother and just tie the game with under a minute to go 5 on 5.

The Jets are terrible with those hooligans Emery and Simmonds still part of the team.

/Lawless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom