• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

Houston
FGM 34-83 41%
3PT 12-28 43%
FTM 15-30 50%

Final Score: 95

Clippers
FGM 39-79 49%
3PT 13-31 42%
FTM 37-58 59%

Final Score: 128

OK, was this thing rigged? Or is just McHale a moron?

rigged in what way? the FT differential? they intentionally fouled Jordan because he is a horrible FT shooter. he shot 34 FT's and most were on intentional fouls

Some stuffs from the game..

The game winner with a dramatic twist.

Kanye
XYcsWeM.gif

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Question - isn't it supposed to be a technical if you call a timeout when you don't have any?

GaimeGuy

Okay, so why are cavs fans bringing up the no-call on Noah when they should have lost possession and technical free throws to the bulls prior to that, plus they got the whole free timeout + extra time, as well?

GaimeGuy

It is pretty pathetic though that in the last ~8 seconds you had the following three ref botches in a tie game:

1. A missed technical/change of possession call on an attempted timeout by the cavs when they had none

2. A missed foul call on Joakim Noah... or Lebron for lowering his shoulder, but in this NBA environment, that's a foul on noah.

3. A phantom time out + time being put back on the clock, allowing the cavs to compose themselves for a final shot instead of doing a mad scramble down the court like they had been doing prior to the ball being knocked out of bounds.

That's just poor officiating, and while LeBron had to make a tough shot from the corner to win the game, there should never be that much blown officiating in the final 10 seconds of a tied playoff game.

That's just poor officiating, and while LeBron had to make a tough shot from the corner to win the game, there should never be that much blown officiating in the final 10 seconds of a tied playoff game.

Refs been shit the entire series. NBA needs to critically look at the piss poor job they're doing and clean them up.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Refs been shit the entire series. NBA needs to critically look at the piss poor job they're doing and clean them up.

NBA needs to damn well solve this free timeout at the end of games for reviews shit.

My solution is put all 10 players on the court into a hyperbolic time chamber.

CD'S BAR

So let's be real.

Is there any fucking way Blat is back next season?

If Mchale can come back so can Blatt ( I don't think Mchale will come back). But really Cleveland over-achieved in the regular season and if they take this series against the Bulls then even if they lose in the ECF I think the season for them could be considered a success. Obviously that success is more because of Lebron than Blatt but I don't think Blatt has been terrible enough to not give him another year (they should hire scott brooks instead).

spyder_ur

NBA needs to damn well solve this free timeout at the end of games for reviews shit.

My solution is put all 10 players on the court into a hyperbolic time chamber.

Van Gundy had a funny comment that the players should have to go in the "Cone of Silence".

Would people really have been happier if they didn't fix the time? That would have been a more fair result? Because the way the rules are now, that's the option. Don't fix the time and play on, or fix it and both teams get a quasi-TO. Key words: BOTH TEAMS. The Bulls got time to set up their defense too. It's not like there was some crazy trick play or anything; just a great player took advantage of a millisecond of delayed reaction and drilled a fantastic shot.

As for Blatt calling the TO, the responsibility is on the players/coaches to make it crystal clear to the ref that they want a TO. That's why often you see them dribbling towards the ref when they are calling on. In this case, that onus actually benefitted Blatt and the Cavs.

Van Gundy had a funny comment that the players should have to go in the "Cone of Silence".

Would people really have been happier if they didn't fix the time? That would have been a more fair result? Because the way the rules are now, that's the option. Don't fix the time and play on, or fix it and both teams get a quasi-TO. Key words: BOTH TEAMS. The Bulls got time to set up their defense too. It's not like there was some crazy trick play or anything; just a great player took advantage of a millisecond of delayed reaction and drilled a fantastic shot.

As for Blatt calling the TO, the responsibility is on the players/coaches to make it crystal clear to the ref that they want a TO. That's why often you see them dribbling towards the ref when they are calling on. In this case, that onus actually benefitted Blatt and the Cavs.

Yep. I agree with this. The rule is fine the way it is now.

I would have loved to see what would've happened if Blatt cost the Cavs a playoff game because he tried calling a timeout that he didn't have. Would LeBron have fired him on the spot?

HabeeNo

I would have loved to see what would've happened if Blatt cost the Cavs a playoff game because he tried calling a timeout that he didn't have. Would LeBron have fired him on the spot?

Absolutely. Not to mention ESPN's full week coverage of the timeout, and a 30 for 30 one year from yesterday

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It is pretty pathetic though that in the last ~8 seconds you had the following three ref botches in a tie game:

1. A missed technical/change of possession call on an attempted timeout by the cavs when they had none

2. A missed foul call on Joakim Noah... or Lebron for lowering his shoulder, but in this NBA environment, that's a foul on noah.

3. A phantom time out + time being put back on the clock, allowing the cavs to compose themselves for a final shot instead of doing a mad scramble down the court like they had been doing prior to the ball being knocked out of bounds.

The last few minutes of that game were just painful to watch. One of the most frustrating things the entire game was how the refs were letting LBJ constantly push off with his left arm when driving. He was definitely fouled on that next to last shot, but they'd never end it on free throws like that in the playoffs.

Tom Penny

Refs haven't made an average defense hold the Bulls to sub 40% shooting on bad shots because they don't know how to run an offense. High pick and roll, waste 20 seconds take jumpers. Mike Brown probably gets a chuckle out of it.

commish

Refs haven't made an average defense hold the Bulls to sub 40% shooting on bad shots because they don't know how to run an offense. High pick and roll, waste 20 seconds take jumpers. Mike Brown probably gets a chuckle out of it.

Let's be fair. Bulls are shooting 45% in the two games Gasol played a full game. He's a pretty big part of their offense. Their other bigs can't space the floor like Pau does.

Tom Penny

Let's be fair. Bulls are shooting 45% in the two games Gasol played a full game. He's a pretty big part of their offense. Their other bigs can't space the floor like Pau does.

Gasol helps but they took terrible shots against the Bucks too. That what they do. Settle for bad shots and have horrible stretches of inept offense.

ampere

I thought Pau was washed up heading into this season, but it's true the Bulls really need him right now. His absence is hurting Chicago at least as much as Love's absence is hurting Cleveland

commish

Gasol helps but they took terrible shots against the Bucks too. That what they do. Settle for bad shots and have horrible stretches of inept offense.

Bucks were top 5 this season in opponent FG%. But overall I agree with you - there's no excuse for the level of ineptitude we saw yesterday. When the Cavs when this series - and they will - Bulls fans will be lamenting game 4 for years to come. Bulls would be favored against both the Hawks and Wiz, and would have a good chance against any of the remaining West teams.

flyover

When the Cavs when this series - and they will - Bulls fans will be lamenting game 4 for years to come.

Seriously. I can already see myself ten years from now randomly thinking about this game and getting mad.

The reffing mistakes and free review timeout at the end of the game were ridiculous, but the Bulls should've played well enough (even sinking a couple more easy shots) to render them moot. You can't give up a 16-0 and a 16-2 run in the same game and expect to win.

Only reason why I haven't completely given up hope for this series is that we played the last two games terribly, and still came out even. But we can not let this play continue. Something dire has to change soon.

Okay, so why are cavs fans bringing up the no-call on Noah when they should have lost possession and technical free throws to the bulls prior to that, plus they got the whole free timeout + extra time, as well?

Because that rule is contingent on referees actually granting the (nonexistent) timeout. This rule was actually in play for both teams in Game 5 of the 1976 Finals - Paul Silas (of the Celtics) tried calling timeout with a few seconds left in regulation and the ref either didn't see or ignored it, and Paul Westphal (of the Suns) intentionally called timeout with none left (which was granted) in order to push the game to triple overtime.

(As it stands, given the outcome of the game's final shot and given that rule's existence, I'm not gonna harp on about refs given that the discretion on that rule is probably the entire reason the series is tied.)

Ref should have called that technical on Blatt for entertainment purposes though. Lebron snappin. Blatt knowing he just lost his job, JR snuffing somebody out of anger. Mike Miller looking on from his starting bench position.

We missed out.

Ref should have called that technical on Blatt for entertainment purposes though. Lebron snappin. Blatt knowing he just lost his job, JR snuffing somebody out of anger. Mike Miller looking on from his starting bench position.

We missed out.

...Cleveland keeping Blatt, LeBron being incredulous, opting out, signing with the Knicks, LeBron haters all "I TOLD YOU SO," Cleveland-GAF like "I'm not even mad, I'd leave, too."

We missed out.

It would have been the greatest moment in the history of the sport.
The only thing that would possibly make that better would be the Knicks still somehow finishing under .500.
Lmao

Top Bottom