• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

Cipherr

Going to be happy when the league jettisons that 'hack a player' bullshit. So fucking corny. Hope they lose doing this shit so they eat the shame of lowering themselves to it on top of an early end to the season. That goes for them and any other team that does this horseshit in the postseason.

Well it only works if he misses them. But yes. Only in the last two minutes of the game is there really a major disincentive - at that point if the foul is intentional and off the ball then the team that's fouled goes to the line and gets the ball back.

I see, I thought that maybe if he walked on the outside lines it would affect it but it seems not. Well, clips make your FTs.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
If he's outside the lines would the strategy still work?

Not sure I follow with outside the lines?

At the end of the day all DeAndre has to do is make his free throws like pointed out. But damn does it slow down the overall pace of the game. Can see why some fans would get frustrated but free throws are fundamental. Make them and "hack a" won't work.

Not sure I follow with outside the lines?

At the end of the day all DeAndre has to do is make his free throws like pointed out. But damn does it slow down the overall pace of the game. Can see why some fans would get frustrated but free throws are fundamental. Make them and "hack a" won't work.

Stay out of bounds.

spyder_ur

Stay out of bounds.

It doesn't make a difference as far as I know, I know players can still commit personal fouls even if they are out of bounds.

In DeAndre's case, because he is such a good defensive player, the strategy is as much about trying to force him out of the game as it is about being an efficient defensive strategy points wise. It also can have the effect of taking a team out of its offense (though that can happen to the fouling team too).

Jonm1010

Banned
Ahh I see, not sure honestly. The NBA will probably address the issue in the offseason one way or another.

Gotta make those free throws one way or another as Griffin makes 1 of 2.
You think so? I mean just because they haven't yet doesnt mean they won't.....but they haven't yet so what makes you think this offseason is the magic offseason they will?

spyder_ur

Ahh I see, not sure honestly. The NBA will probably address the issue in the offseason one way or another.

Gotta make those free throws one way or another as Griffin makes 1 of 2.

I definitely think it will be talked about both this postseason and during the owner's meetings, though I'm not sure what to do. I don't love the idea of changing rules based on a few bad FT shooters. I also haven't heard a great suggestion to fix the problem; I think the best I've heard is simply allowing the fouled team to refuse the FTs, so the fouls would still count as personal fouls but they could choose to simply inbound the ball.

Kawhi on Paul now, as I figured.

Jonm1010

Banned
I definitely think it will be talked about both this postseason and during the owner's meetings, though I'm not sure what to do. I don't love the idea of changing rules based on a few bad FT shooters. I also haven't heard a great suggestion to fix the problem; I think the best I've heard is simply allowing the fouled team to refuse the FTs, so the fouls would still count as personal fouls but they could choose to simply inbound the ball.

Kawhi on Paul now, as I figured.

Assess a technical for blatant hack-a-shaqs?

That seems like the easy fix.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
God damn I've always loved Matt Barnes wherever he played. Plays with intensity.

That's playoff basketball, hopefully no technicals

spyder_ur

You think so? I mean just because they haven't yet doesnt mean they won't.....but they haven't yet so what makes you think this offseason is the magic offseason they will?

We'll see, but I think there is a possibility we see it a ton this postseason because it is potentially a viable strategy against a lot of prominent teams: we'll see it in most Clippers games, Rockets (Howard), Mavs (Rondo), others I'm forgetting. If we see it a lot in the NBA's most prominent games pressure might mount.

Wow, tough stretch for Baynes there. Thrown down twice and dunked on.

zychi

Banned
The hacking shit has a simple fix. Each team gets to select a designated "anti-hack" player. So the Clip would be Deandre. Then the refs let Denadre or whoever is picked choose who shoots for him.

Real simple.

Jonm1010

Banned
We'll see, but I think there is a possibility we see it a ton this postseason because it is potentially a viable strategy against a lot of prominent teams: we'll see it in most Clippers games, Rockets (Howard), Mavs (Rondo), others I'm forgetting. If we see it a lot in the NBA's most prominent games pressure might mount.

Wow, tough stretch for Baynes there. Thrown down twice and dunked on.

You'll probably see it against my Pelicans at some point as well. The Spurs showed hack-an-ask is a good way to slow our momentum and claw back into a game.

I hope you are right because that would be amazing and make me less hesitant for us to re-sign Asik.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
CP3!

ballmers.gif

Top Bottom