• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

AnAnole

I watched that last sequence about as many times than the Zapruder film was shown in JFK, and it's fascinating. Curry and Thompson did everything perfectly.

Coming upcourt, Thompson stays on Harden's right, keeping him from looping around and going right to the basket. Curry's stationed right at the three-point line, which stops Harden from pushing forward.

As Thompson gets into position on Harden's right, Curry actually blocks off Harden's right, as well, giving him the option of going down the left sideline for just a second -- but with Thompson ready to drop back and block off the path to the basket.

Harden darts left for just a second, but when he sees that Thompson is ready to drop back and that a teammate is arriving at the three-point line unguarded, he passes. If it were anyone but Howard, it would have been a perfect wide-open three.

Harden may not have even known who he was passing to at first -- or if he did, he was hoping Thompson would switch off him for even a second. But Thompson immediately notices that it's Howard and doesn't move to guard him at all and continues facing Harden. (That was the best part of the possession, to me. Nobody on GS really gave a shit about Howard at all.)

Brewer and Ariza are set up in the corners, guarded by Iguodala and Barnes, respectively. Terrence Jones camps out under the basket, with Green on him. Screws up the spacing, but keeps Green occupied, and Jones is probably thinking more about putting back a missed shot.

Barnes stays on Ariza the whole time, but once the ball heads to Howard, Iguodala heads for the lane, clogging it and ignoring Brewer, who probably wouldn't have much time for a catch-and-shoot, anyway.

Harden starts asking for the ball back before Howard even catches it. Howard gives it back to him, but Harden's still swarmed by Curry and Thompson.

Thompson briefly raises one arm, but after Harden dribbles once, he and Curry just stay low and poke at the ball, instead of trying to block a shot or get a hand in Harden's face. Could've backfired, if Harden raised up and shot, but it turned out to be the right move, since it kept him from even getting the shot off.

So much happening in under nine seconds. By the end of the game, I wanted Harden to pull it off, but it was just great to watch.

You forgot the best part of their defense, fouling the shit out of Harden knowing the refs would swallow their whistles.

Fjordson

You forgot the best part of their defense, fouling the shit out of Harden knowing the refs would swallow their whistles.
B7GkVnL.png

Fjordson

Are the Warriors still planning on changing their name from GState to San Francisco?
It's up in the air. CEO said they're going to seek input from fans on what name they prefer, but who knows if they stick to that.

If they do, I actually don't know what most fans would say. I personally really like it being Golden State. Kinda unique to not be a city or state name, but that's just me.

It's up in the air. CEO said they're going to seek input from fans on what name they prefer, but who knows if they stick to that.

If they do, I actually don't know what most fans would say. I personally really like it being Golden State. Kinda unique to not be a city or state name, but that's just me.

It kinda works either way. Though based from my personal experiences not a lot of NBA fans outside US knows that the Dubs plays for San francisco/bay area. one of the reasons is its under GS and SF in the team name. People are like where is golden state? Its I cant find it on the US map lol.. But if you go back to SF, it will be uniform with other teams and directly gives where the team plays for. So if I own the team I say change it to SF. Gonna have a cool abbreviation on tv too SFW

Same experience here. RUN TMC days were fun, 10-15k people chanting "Pizza, Pizza" . Those people kept getting pushed hinger and higher in the bowl by all the Kobe jerseys. SF will be awesome but those fans will be gone. :(

I've said this quite a few times in the past but I really do worry about the fanbase once the W's move to SF. Oracle really has a unique vibe that will be hard to replicate.

I've said this quite a few times in the past but I really do worry about the fanbase once the W's move to SF. Oracle really has a unique vibe that will be hard to replicate.

Agreed. However, I bet the fanbase will remain the same. The new arena won't be too far from the Bay Bridge, so it will be easy to come over from Oakland, and I don't think the bridge will stop/slow any fans down. Ticket prices are already high, so even if they are slightly higher, I don't think that will make a huge difference either.

Believe it or not I think the main thing that they will be missing is the roof... the way it slopes down in the middle just makes all of the screaming in the nosebleeds come crashing down on the court. Gotta be one of the loudest arenas in the NBA.

flyover

Yeah. It's true. The atmosphere was great when I lived out there, even in the days when the starting backcourt was Mookie Blaylock and Bob Sura.

With hindsight, San Antonio probably was the only team that realistically had a chance of beating G.S. - But like always, they're out of the gate slow in the 1st round and Clippers did them in. Memphis was another team that had a shot, but once Golden State made adjustments, they had no counter move. But Houston has some fight, let's see what they can do at home.

There are only two Gods capable of stopping LeBron James.

One lost in the first round and the other is about to retire.

Well, that and his own mind.

e: In related news, Kyrie out for Game 2

damn if Kyrie is out, and Carroll can play this game just got interesting.

EDIT: Kobe has been "retired" for a few years now, and has focused on his business ventures. He seems very intrigued with that career path. That is why you can see the different Kobe when it comes to his personality.

I'm glad Carroll isn't seriously injured but damn did he get fortunate it wasn't worse.

Meanwhile cleveland curse still nice and strong with Love gone now Kyrie keeps getting worse. =/

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
gah

I was hoping Kyrie would be fine and Carroll would be out. Nothing would please me more than watching the Cavs lose in the finals... again.

Lebron being 2 and 6 (one loss was a sweep) would be the cherry topper though. People love LeBron and his stats; how's 2 for 6 in the finals for a fucking stat? lol

damn if Kyrie is out, and Carroll can play this game just got interesting.

EDIT: Kobe has been "retired" for a few years now, and has focused on his business ventures. He seems very intrigued with that career path. That is why you can see the different Kobe when it comes to his personality.

Think Kobe might get into coaching? Would be interesting to see a Kobe coached NBA team.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Honestly, if you've watched any of Kyrie the last few years, you knew he was fragile. That was my biggest concern coming into the season.

Think Kobe might get into coaching? Would be interesting to see a Kobe coached NBA team.

He has been doing that as well on the bench LOL as he is injured. But it is like an assistant coach that helps players develop. No, he probably won't be a HC.. for the same reason why DWade probably won't be a coach.

I remember that quote that DWade said about Mario Chalmers. I love Mario, but he is the reason why I will never be a coach.Some players just don't have good basketball IQ, and it just gets to a point where it is frustrating.

If they can win again in the Atlanta tonight, I would seriously consider sitting him for the entire series.

I'd rest him through at least Game 4 regardless - at worst (considering the defensive numbers) it's probably gonna be a 2-2 split and he basically gets another week of rest.

(Now if Cleveland wins both home games without him, I sit him for the rest of the series.)

Top Bottom