• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

I still don't get why people don't like Lebron on a personal level but praise steph as some hero?

What did I miss? Did Lebron kill someone? Last I checked he's the best basketball player in the league?

Was Jordan hated this much?

I still don't get why people don't like Lebron on a personal level but praise steph as some hero?

What did I miss? Did Lebron kill someone? Last I checked he's the best basketball player in the league?

Jordan is hated more than Lebron.

My top 3 dislike
Jordan
Bad Boys
80's Celtics

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

No. Jordan didn't
whore
sell himself out to whatever team he thought would give him the best chance to win a championship by getting to the championships in an incredibly inferior conference.

Jordan had haters but was mostly beloved.

random25

Why would being Finals rookies work against them? Have they looked even remotely overwhelmed to this point? Does LeBron's presence somehow make guys like Kyrie and Tristian Thomspn, who before this season haven't played in meaningful games since High School, more "experienced"? I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that experience even matters in the way people like to paint it to matter. It's always seems like a BS narrative. It seems like wishful thinking more than anything. Look at the way they are playing. The Warriors just look on a different level.

Different level today doesn't mean they'll do the same when the next series starts. I'm not saying the Warriors are outmatched against the Cavs, but I think it's funny when a lot of people think they'll cruise to the championship when they face the Cavs. And experience plays when tight situations come into play. It's not that LeBron will make Kyrie and others more "experienced". It's about when things go tight that somebody that has been there and done that like LeBron will bring to the table. I just see that series as a close one regardless of who wins, nothing more.

You're out of your mind. I say that respectfully.

Not really. I really don't mind who wins either way as I'm not a fan of both teams. I just think it'll be one close series as I mentioned earlier. Both have their own big dependencies that needs to click full time to win anyway (Cavs - LeBron being LeBron, Warriors - hot 3pt shooting from their elite back court).

The Cavs defended the perimeter today by allowing uncontested 3pt shots from everywhere at all times. That might work against the warriors?

The Hawks were 4-23 and 6-26 from the 3 in the first 2 games and were minus Kyle Korver. Maybe you'd let them have those shots, too. It almost didn't work out this time (11-30). I'm sure against a more lethal team, they'd probably have a different focus.

Fjordson

Easier to hate celebs/athletes these days because of the overexposure they get from the media. People get sick of them.

Jordan was...sort of an asshole actually, but celebs were more separated from your average fan without social medial or constant 24 hour coverage. If Jordan played today he would probably be more hated.

Some of it Lebron has brought on himself with his on-court theatrics when he doesn't get a call and the Miami Heat thing (the decision, not 5, not 6, not 7, etc.) but there's some of it that isn't his fault. Just a product of the era he plays in.

If I were part of his camp I would try to somehow get these networks to stop comparing him to Jordan. So many people on my Twitter were laughing and saying Lebron had a bad game when Marv Albert brought up the flu game. The Jordan comparisons really don't do Bron any favors.

No. Jordan didn't
whore
sell himself out to whatever team he thought would give him the best chance to win a championship by getting to the championships in an incredibly inferior conference.

I don't think Lebron whored himself out to get a championship. And let's be real, Miami was no team that was hot at the time. He could of traded himself to the west but he stayed right in the east.

I still don't understand why he was hated for that. He was a free agent and could go where ever he wanted. He wanted a championship, because that's what everyone is playing for, and he felt Miami could give him that consistency that he was looking for to up his game and it worked out well. Salty fans stay salty but the power he has proved that he needed a good team to come back to Cleveland and run the show he wanted to. I don't see why that was a big deal to this day. Miami is nothing without Lebron and I think a lot of people forget that.

dream

I don't think Lebron whored himself out to get a championship. And let's be real, Miami was no team that was hot at the time. He could of traded himself to the west but he stayed right in the east.

I still don't understand why he was hated for that. He was a free agent and could go where ever he wanted. He wanted a championship, because that's what everyone is playing for, and he felt Miami could give him that consistency that he was looking for to up his game and it worked out well. Salty fans stay salty but the power he has proved that he needed a good team to come back to Cleveland and run the show he wanted to. I don't see why that was a big deal to this day. Miami is nothing without Lebron and I think a lot of people forget that.

That's so misleading.

I agree. He handled his situation a lot better than Melo or Dwight or even CP3 did yet got 10X the shit they did. Had he stayed in Cleveland, or gone to NY or Brooklyn, and had zero championships instead of at least 2, would the same people giving him shit now be giving him a break because he "tried"? Or would they be piling on him for not having a ring? The dude was just not gonna win with some people.

Today's game is the perfect example of why people hate Lebron. At the end he's hamming it up for the cameras looking like he's about to keel over. His face when they went to Rachel Nichols for the interview at the end was the worst acting I've ever seen. Like what was he even trying to pull there.

offtopic

The Hawks were 4-23 and 6-26 from the 3 in the first 2 games and were minus Kyle Korver. Maybe you'd let them have those shots, too. It almost didn't work out this time (11-30). I'm sure against a more lethal time, they'd probably have a different focus.

Sure, if the opponent can't hit them then let them have them (I would just let LeBron shoot from distance with impunity). Open three pointers for the Warriors though is a completely different animal. Thompson just backed 8 feet behind the 3pt line when matched up with Teague. That would be suicide against Curry. Yes, they can pressure the 3pt line but that compromises the interior and causes that defense to collapse in which also frees up shooters everywhere. The Cavs will have to play at an entirely different level on defense to slow down the Warriors.

offtopic

Come on now. They had recently won a championship, had one of the top 2 shooting guards in the game and were bringing in an allstar power forward with them into a conference on the wane. Jordan never pulled shit like that to win and therefore is much more revered.

Sure, if the opponent can't hit them then let them have them (I would just let LeBron shoot from distance with impunity). Open three pointers for the Warriors though is a completely different animal. Thompson just backed 8 feet behind the 3pt line when matched up with Teague. That would be suicide against Curry. Yes, they can pressure the 3pt line but that compromises the interior and causes that defense to collapse in which also frees up shooters everywhere. The Cavs will have to play at an entirely different level on defense to slow down the Warriors.

If the Cavs give Curry more than an inch of space, they deserve whatever happens to them. Curry makes buckets with his eyes closed and people crashing into him, so it's a tough enough challenge as it is. But all I'm saying is that the way they're playing now isn't necessarily indicative of how they might try to defend Golden State. Emphasis on try.

LeDrama

d8CgZH4.gif

He had to take a seat for the interview he was so exhausted.

neptunes

This Cavs franchise was literally irrelevant since bron left, wouldn't have even sniffed the Playoffs, now they're going to the finals. Damn

zychi

Banned
Today's game is the perfect example of why people hate Lebron. At the end he's hamming it up for the cameras looking like he's about to keel over. His face when they went to Rachel Nichols for the interview at the end was the worst acting I've ever seen. Like what was he even trying to pull there.
Dont forget he put children in front of him as a shield when he embarrased a city he promised a title to on national tv.

I guess Cle fans forgot about that considering they all bought his jersey again.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Not really. I really don't mind who wins either way as I'm not a fan of both teams. I just think it'll be one close series as I mentioned earlier. Both have their own big dependencies that needs to click full time to win anyway (Cavs - LeBron being LeBron, Warriors - hot 3pt shooting from their elite back court).

Nope. It's more defense and ball movement for GS. Their 3 pt shooting gets all the attention, but it's motion and defense that fuels them more than anything this season. I've watched plenty of GS games this season as they're the local team, and they've won games when their long range shooting was off as long as they moved the ball and played D. They get in trouble when they don't do those things even if their shots are dropping.

Come on now. They had recently won a championship, had one of the top 2 shooting guards in the game and were bringing in an allstar power forward with them into a conference on the wane. Jordan never pulled shit like that to win and therefore is much more revered.
Where would Jordan have gone to have better help than Scottie Pippen and Horace Grant during their first run?

zychi

Banned
If the Cavs give Curry more than an inch of space, they deserve whatever happens to them. Curry makes buckets with his eyes closed and people crashing into him, so it's a tough enough challenge as it is. But all I'm saying is that the way they're playing now isn't necessarily indicative of how they might try to defend Golden State. Emphasis on try.
He won't get any space. If i could, i'd bet money Curry ends up with a wrist or hand injury in the finals. It's a shame too.

Anyone know how tv ratings have been? With gs rolling everyone, and nbarefs letting Bron walk back to the finals while his teammates injure everyone else, they have to be be slightly down right?

random25

The Heat were struggling the year before the big 3 was formed. Even Wade wasn't the same player as before due to injuries.

I'm sure Jordan would have pulled the same drama if Pippen never happened in Chicago. Heck, even Kobe almost pulled a Melo in 2007, and would have continued to do so if Pau never came to LA.

Come on now. They had recently won a championship, had one of the top 2 shooting guards in the game and were bringing in an allstar power forward with them into a conference on the wane. Jordan never pulled stuff like that to win and therefore is much more revered.

Jordan also played in an era when player movement was a bit more difficult and in either case had his big 3 with him. It's easy to praise Jordan (and I do, he's the GOAT!), but let's not act like he didn't have Pippen and Grant for the first 3, and Pippen and Rodman for the second 3. Similarly, let's not pretend Magic didn't have Kareem and James Worthy, or that Bird didn't have McHale and Parrish. LeBron had LeBron. Barkley even likes to criticize LeBron on this point, despite getting himself traded to Phoenix and then going to Houston, all better situations with more talent. I don't fault LeBron for going to Miami -- I fault him for "The Decision," and the way he carried himself after the 2011 Finals, but the Miami deal is just business.

What did he do after the 2011 finals? I remember him disappearing in the finals, but that's it.

It was just a line in the post-game press conference that was just pure bitterness and rubbed me the wrong way. Just to paraphrase, "I'll wake up tomorrow and still be me, the haters will wake up and still have their miserable lives."

Edit: Clip here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT1jgFZZryE Then again, with folks like Bigelow around, this clip isn't as bad in retrospect..

zychi

Banned
Jordan also played in an era when player movement was a bit more difficult and in either case had his big 3 with him. It's easy to praise Jordan (and I do, he's the GOAT!), but let's not act like he didn't have Pippen and Grant for the first 3, and Pippen and Rodman for the second 3. Similarly, let's not pretend Magic didn't have Kareem and James Worthy, or that Bird didn't have McHale and Parrish. LeBron had LeBron. Barkley even likes to criticize LeBron on this point, despite getting himself traded to Phoenix and then going to Houston, all better situations with more talent. I don't fault LeBron for going to Miami -- I fault him for "The Decision," and the way he carried himself after the 2011 Finals, but the Miami deal is just business.
Lebron was GM in cleveland before he bailed, and its a rumor that wade and bosh made the plans during the olympics to do the big 3.

It happens. Jordan was also an anti-Stern guy. Its funny how people forget how much trouble MJ caused Stern. Superstars get calls, its a problem in the NBA but it happens to all superstars, cant hate on Bron for getting what every other star gets.

random25

Nope. It's more defense and ball movement for GS. Their 3 pt shooting gets all the attention, but it's motion and defense that fuels them more than anything this season. I've watched plenty of GS games this season as they're the local team, and they've won games when their long range shooting was off as long as they moved the ball and played D. They get in trouble when they don't do those things even if their shots are dropping.

It's a major factor, yes. But I'm just considering the playoff games of the Warriors. Of the two losses of the Warriors, both against Memphis, their 3pt FG was bad, especially Curry's (both 6/26 I believe). And in their wins, especially when they try catch up in big leads like in the Rockets game or momentum breaker like in the Pelicans games, 3pt shooting carried them big time.

offtopic

The Heat were struggling the year before the big 3 was formed. Even Wade wasn't the same player as before due to injuries.

I'm sure Jordan would have pulled the same drama if Pippen never happened in Chicago. Heck, even Kobe almost pulled a Melo in 2007, and would have continued to do so if Pau never came to LA.

Whether or not Kobe or Jordan would have left for championships may or may not be true. We will never know. What we (and by 'we', I mean the average basketball fan) do know is that Lebron switched teams and stacked his team in a conference that was getting weaker to give him the best chance of making it to the finals every year. That does count against him when we are comparing him to other greats.

My personal opinion when comparing Jordan and Lebron is that there really is no comparison. Jordan played with a visceral, vicious artistry while I find Lebron's power based game that lacks creativity and tendency towards mentally folding to be irredeemable flaws (when comparing).

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It's a major factor, yes. But I'm just considering the playoff games of the Warriors. Of the two losses of the Warriors, both against Memphis, their 3pt FG was bad, especially Curry's (both 6/26 I believe). And in their wins, especially when they try catch up in big leads like in the Rockets game or momentum breaker like in the Pelicans games, 3pt shooting carried them big time.

And defense was key to both those cases. Poor defensive sequences often ends up resulting in poor offense for GS. Likewise, defensive stops often fuels their offensive runs as well.

So yes, hot shooting can help makeup for the times when their defense lets them down, but even that usually results in the other team still hanging around within striking distance. Both GS's close losses and close wins throughout both the season and playoffs are good examples of that. And the rare times when their defense breaks down and their shooting isn't there for an extended period, you see them get blown out like their last game against the Spurs.

Dynomutt

You know what, Golden State will get to the finals and they may beat the Cavs. Odds are in there favor. They might even sweep who knows.

But Wow! I'm surprised NeoGaf you guys treat LeBron James likes he's Jaden Smith! Remove the emotion and look at his work. Yes far from perfect but nonetheless impressive.

No player in league history has ever exceeded James' point, rebound and assist totals in a single regular-season or playoff game, per Basketball-Reference.com. Charles Barkley came closest with a 43-point, 15-rebound, 10-assist effort in 1993.

Michael Jordan does not play basketball anymore and yes it is shame but past is the past. But we'll never see that so get over it. Back in 2013 even his Airness said Lebron was the best with Kobe in decline. Even Kobe has complimented LBJ on his growth.

I bet some of you were the ones who said a 52 year old out of shape cigar smoking MJ could beat LeBron right now in a game in that ESPN poll.

Fact is the man works and he works hard. All I'm saying is give credit where credit is due. Yes he didn't go college so he grew up right in front on our eyes. He may not have that mental edge that Kobe and MJ have come to show us but he sure had developed a knack to be clutch example Chicago buzzer beater.

I posted this earlier and still feel the same way.

It's Lebron fatigue. He's the villain and people rally against the villain. When in fact he's a great athlete, role model, philanthropist, and by all accounts you don't hear anything in the news DUI's, violence, drugs, or nightclub incidents. But people hate him for the "Event" and it's understandable but people need to get over it.

Per ESPN started 0 for 9 and on 37 shots ended with 37 points, 18 rebounds, and 13 assists! Not very pretty or efficient but that's work. I don't even think he's the best as he still lacks the vicious rip your heart out on command ability that MJ had but the man is a very good ball player. Just my personal opinion.

zychi

Banned
37 points, 18 rebounds, and 13 assists! That's work. Just my personal opinion.

Since you're clearly a Lebron and stats guy, can you help me find a box score that shows free throws and +/- for each player? Weirdly ESPN, Yahoo and NBA.com hide those stats when I google them via mobile.

What were Lebrons free throw stats after going 0-10 from the field?
What did he end up with as his +/- and his PER for the night?

jfoul

Going into this series, I never thought the Hawks would roll over like this and be down 3-0. Atlanta should call up Charmin to be the official sponsor of the team next year.

Dynomutt

Since you're clearly a Lebron and stats guy, can you help me find a box score that shows free throws and +/- for each player? Weirdly ESPN, Yahoo and NBA.com hide those stats when I google them via mobile.

Horrible inefficient I don't even think he's the best player in the playoffs right now (Steph Curry, he just can't miss!). I'm just saying he is a good basketball player.

Dynomutt

Sorry! Trigger finger:

Started very slow 0-10

LeBron James
SF
MIN:47
FGM-A:14-37
3PTM: 1-6 (Clutch and admittedly the one that counted.)
FTM-A: 8-10
REB:18
AST:13
STL: 3
BLK: 0
TO: 6
PF: 4
+/-: -3
PTS: 37

Cipherr

Jesus. This place will be a freaking mortuary if Cavs win the finals. You all are just as on top of your hate game as you were those two years the heat won it.
KuGsj.gif
The gnashing of teeth and crying when they beat the Thunder was unreal, and people still havent learned that maybe its not good for your blood pressure to hate this dude 24/7.

Literally in the thread calling triple doubles "shit" and hating while the guy wins games sending his team up 0-3. I will never understand the mind of someone who can do this shit year after year.

You know what, Golden State will get to the finals and they may beat the Cavs. Odds are in there favor. They might even sweep who knows.

But Wow! I'm surprised NeoGaf you guys treat LeBron James likes he's Jaden Smith! Remove the emotion and look at his work. Yes far from perfect but nonetheless impressive.

The hate is real too. I should link the threads on the nights where the Heat won finals games. It was a mess. Dudes were sounding suicidal. Unreal.

Don't know about the other stuff, but ESPN boxscore had his +/- at -3.

andthebeatgoeson

No. Jordan didn't
whore

Yeah, you right. Jordan had a competent GM and front office. He has Scotty. Which is no small feat. Now, before we jump to the 'but Bron has...' part of the program, let's just back on the absolute shittiness of the cavs during Bron's first go round. Mo Williams. And that's it.

I'm actually trying to remember which team Bron was on were he wasn't the best defender on the team. You could argue that Scottie was the best defender on plenty of those Chicago teams. Now, Jordan wasn't a slouch.

Which brings me to this whoring part. I would be upset if he didn't whore himself. To watch him suffer in Cleveland while they waste his best years would be like, um, I don't know, watching Durant with that shitty coach and let harden walk.

But some people just love the players not having power so Dolan and other rejects can hire Isaiah Thomas again. This is just a classic players versus owners battle. Who gives a shit about loyalty? Except the die hard fans. But at this stage, most NBA fans should give up on it. But as a Sixers fan, it's already been beaten out of me. Long time ago.

Top Bottom