• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

It has different meanings. It could be heart, it could be strength, it could be the drive to not be the loser, it could be money etc but stats is not the end all be all and it never will. Injuries are unpredictable and that can happen at any time, and there is no stat in the world that would cause any team to win if everyone they need to win is gone. Except, if your name is Lebron James.

Okay, but we're talking facts and figures here. Not "what if" scenarios of wildly varying likelihood. Sure, Cavs COULD win if a bunch of things happen. But realistically, if things stay remotely the same as they have then the stats say a lot.

So you said you like watching the way the spurs and warriors play, but feel the NBA is too predictable?

What was your opinion on the 2013-2014 finals? who did you pick before it began? was that series predictable?

and someone let me know if this guy is just troll bait.

Watching the actual beauty of the game played by teams that play it in a beautiful manner is still entertaining. But let's not act like teams come out of nowhere and win it all. It's usually clear well in advance who will go far. 2013-2014 I was pretty confident in the Spurs and they won pretty easily.

But there are serious delusions that GSW will sweep the Cavs as if that something that is on the money.

The fact that GSW couldn't close Houston says what about their stats? Nothing, because stats don't win championship.

Houston is a good team better then the Cavs and have proven it all year(mostly without Dwight Howard). The East was bad this year. So many things went wrong for so many teams in the east even the Cavs. If the Cavs had Kevin Love they would probably be favorites to win the championship with the way Lebron is playing but, they do not have Love and Kyrie is still hurting. Golden State and Houston would both beat the current Cavs without Kevin Love in fact every team in the west except for Dallas and New Orleans would probably beat the current Cavs.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Houston is a good team better then the Cavs and have proven it all year(mostly without Dwight Howard). The East was bad this year. So many things went wrong for so many teams in the east even the Cavs. If the Cavs had Kevin Love they would probably be favorites to win the championship with the way Lebron is playing but, they do not and Kyrie is still hurting. Golden State and Houston would both beat the current Cavs without Kevin Love in fact every team in the west except for Dallas and New Orleans would probably beat the current Cavs.

nope.

CF-0BUIXIAA0S8b.jpg

Wonder what Melo must be thinking.

Can't believe we've already gotten to the point of "what if someone gets injured" talk. Well yes, if Curry or Klay break their leg tomorrow then Cavs could easily win. But then what if Lebron gets injured? What if JR Smith is caught with cocaine and hookers in his car on the way to the game?

I got a simpsons episode about softball you guys should all watch if you like that kind of stuff.

SNPP_softball_team_-_city_champs.png

Mxrz

This Cavs team isn't good. LeBron isn't Miami LeBron this year. But the whole NBA is pretty miserable right now. As soon as the league mentioned HGH testing, everything fell apart.

That's why all the talk of the dynamic of the sport changing is silly. Its one really bad year for everyone.

Watching teams like the Warriors and Spurs is nice basketball. But if you want unpredictability you'd be better off with just about any other sport, historically speaking.

was okc a phase

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He was on the playoff roster, he has the ring and the criteria was appearance which being on the roster qualifies you for. Even ESPN modified their text to say it will be his 5th appearance so which one is it?

Than what are you bitching about again? This is such a stupid thing to get all worked up about.

As a side note, does anybody else get weirded out from time to time regarding Marv Albert.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This Cavs team isn't good. LeBron isn't Miami LeBron this year. But the whole NBA is pretty miserable right now. As soon as the league mentioned HGH testing, everything fell apart.

That's why all the talk of the dynamic of the sport changing is silly. Its one really bad year for everyone.

was okc a phase

huh? No, no no no no. no.

Than what are you bitching about again? This is such a stupid thing to get all worked up about.

As a side note, does anybody else get weirded out from time to time regarding Marv Albert.

Same thing as always tunnel vision by Cavs fans and the "narrative" of the infallible LeBron these days. Yet as soon as someone mentions some facts it gets either chippy or very very quiet.

OK Cavs fans lets see if you got balls, put some facts up or celebrate you Conference win and shut up.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Same thing as always tunnel vision by Cavs fans and the "narrative" of the infallible LeBron these days. Yet as soon as someone mentions some facts it gets either chippy or very very quiet.

OK Cavs fans lets see if you got balls, put some facts up or celebrate you Conference win and shut up.

? I'm not a cavs fan. I think what you're complaining about is hilariously nitpicky. The definition of grasping at straws. Hell I would consider myself anti-lebron, but gotta give him some props here, his run is absurd.

People always talk about Steve Young as having 1 ring, he has 1 as a starter and 2 as a backup. That's sports bud. If you don't like that you might wanna look elsewhere for entertainment.

I wonder how much different this series would be if Thabo and Korver weren't out.

Regardless, great season by the Hawks. Getting swept sucks but they got much further than anyone thought they would in the beginning of the season.

JR and Shump getting paaaiiiidddd in the offseason.

? I'm not a cavs fan. I think what you're complaining about is hilariously nitpicky. The definition of grasping at straws. Hell I would consider myself anti-lebron, but gotta give him some props here, his run is absurd.

People always talk about Steve Young as having 1 ring, he has 1 as a starter and 2 as a backup. That's sports bud. If you don't like that you might wanna look elsewhere for entertainment.

Oh, i'm just bored because these playoff games are terrible. I'm not a fan of any of the 4 teams left in the playoff (well 3, now). I just like poking holes in weak arguments. And celebrating a guy going to 5 straight finals is like the Bills being happy they got to 4 straight super bowls. You either win or it didn't matter, I can assure you it damn sure doesn't matter to leBron.

zychi

Banned
lol at little red head eric from entourage sitting higher up in a booster seat compared to everyone else. fuck that guy.

"put some facts up" like what?

What can anyone possibly post that won't get handwaved away as "it came against trash competition" or "it was a regular season game"?

Oh i don't know, led the league in something, any stat of any kind. I mean no CLE fan has posted 1...not 1 stat. Thats like a feat in and of itself. We will win without the benefit of any statistic saying that we can win anything. Makes no sense to me.

Dynomutt

I wonder how much different this series would be if Thabo and Korver weren't out.

Regardless, great season by the Hawks. Getting swept sucks but they got much further than anyone thought they would in the beginning of the season.

JR and Shump getting paaaiiiidddd in the offseason.

How was this not a bigger story? X=Factor of the playoffs? NYPD.
cops-camera-baton.jpg

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yep its the truth.

Oh, i'm just bored because these playoff games are terrible. I'm not a fan of any of the 4 teams left in the playoff (well 3, now). I just like poking holes in weak arguments. And celebrating a guy going to 5 straight finals is like the Bills being happy they got to 4 straight super bowls. You either win or it didn't matter, I can assure you it damn sure doesn't matter to leBron.

Lol completely agree doesn't mean shit unless he wins... that being said, to have 5 finals appearances a few wins, carrying trash like he often does, is still impressive. The numbers are there across the board. He's choked, he's stepped up, he's carried and been carried. Go back a season or 2 it wouldn't really matter what Lebron did he wouldn't sniff Jordan... however if he pulls it off this year, he'll gain a hell of a lot more traction.

neptunes

Watching the actual beauty of the game played by teams that play it in a beautiful manner is still entertaining. But let's not act like teams come out of nowhere and win it all. It's usually clear well in advance who will go far. 2013-2014 I was pretty confident in the Spurs and they won pretty easily.

Detroit in 2004? Miami in 2006?

Did you just start watching this recently? and the Spurs (and I guess now the Warriors) didn't always play this style of offense. The spurs of the Early to mid 2000's played more of a grind it out, inside out game, Were they still playing the game beautifully back then? Like the way the Grizzlies play now?

and by 2013, I actually meant the 2012-2013 finals, sorry

Godslay

Banned
Oh i don't know, led the league in something, any stat of any kind. I mean no CLE fan has posted 1...not 1 stat. Thats like a feat in and of itself. We will win without the benefit of any statistic saying that we can win anything. Makes no sense to me.

GS is a 3 point favorite on a neutral court, according to 538 and it's ELO ratings.

That's not the end all be all, but it's telling that the Cavs are playing good enough ball based on that stat to hang close to GS.

Lol completely agree doesn't mean shit unless he wins... that being said, to have 5 finals appearances a few wins, carrying trash like he often does, is still impressive. The numbers are there across the board. He's choked, he's stepped up, he's carried and been carried. Go back a season or 2 it wouldn't really matter what Lebron did he wouldn't sniff Jordan... however if he pulls it off this year, he'll gain a hell of a lot more traction.

I sorta feel sorry for LeBron, as much as they love him today they will try to destroy him if his only championships exist in MIA.

Top Bottom