• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Detroit in 2004? Miami in 2006?

Did you just start watching this recently? and the Spurs (and I guess now the Warriors) didn't always play this style of offense. The spurs of the Early to mid 2000's played more of a grind it out, inside out game, Were they still playing the game beautifully back then? Like the way the Grizzlies play now.

and by 2013, I actually meant the 2012-2013 finals

Mavs in 2011.

GS is a 3 point favorite on a neutral court, according to 538 and it's ELO ratings.

That's not the end all be all, but it's telling that the Cavs are playing good enough ball based on that stat to hang close to GS.

I wonder how much that swings if you account for home crowds. Or even better, although there is no way to measure this... Lebron is pretty popular league wide so how much does the LBJ factor skew the numbers....

jman2050

The Magic were heavily favored against Houston in 1995 (rightfully so, Houston was not good that season at all) and ended up getting swept so there's that.

Even the envy from Miami fans led by troll extraordinaire Dan Lebatard is heartwarming.

Really? What do we have to be envious about? Playing the juggernaut Golden State Warriors??

I doubt many Heat fans are cheering for LeBron, but let's be honest here, Cavs fans were not cheering for LeBron when he played for the Heat.

Godslay

Banned
I wonder how much that swings if you account for home crowds. Or even better, although there is no way to measure this... Lebron is pretty popular league wide so how much does the LBJ factor skew the numbers....

Average home win in nba is roughly 2.4 points in recent years. So it's going to be negligible and doesn't really stack.

538 basically says HCA is a wash, unless you are Denver or Utah.

Detroit in 2004? Miami in 2006?

Did you just start watching this recently? and the Spurs (and I guess now the Warriors) didn't always play this style of offense. The spurs of the Early to mid 2000's played more of a grind it out, inside out game, Were they still playing the game beautifully back then? Like the way the Grizzlies play now?

and by 2013, I actually meant the 2012-2013 finals, sorry

Detroit and Miami were outliers. You're taking a lot of it this way too literally. When I see the NBA is predictable, I mean the vast majority of the time. Not every single time. Lakers and Spurs have won a lot of the years we've mentioned.

one play can change the series or a teams destiny. remember that lucky tip in Ron Artest got with the lakers in the conference finals i think enroute to Kobe 4th championship. without that little lucky tip in they dont even play in the finals. Luck plays a part.

Luck is a factor that is not debatable. Meaning you can't sit here and predict this team or that team will win because of luck unless you've found a stat that measured luck. So it's useless to talk about because it just means everything is a total toss up.

random25

Actually, the recent trend of NBA championships shows that the highly favored teams going into the finals have a higher chance of losing. Not saying it'll happen this year, (who's the favorite anyway?), but this just shows that NBA Finals is unpredictable as it can be. Better jinx the ones who you want to lose lmao.

LA Lakers vs Detroit - LA was the favorite, Detroit won the title

San Antonio vs Detroit - Almost even, SA won the title

Dallas vs. Miami - Dallas was the favorite, Miami won the title

San Antonio vs Cleveland - SA was the favorite, SA won the title

LA Lakers vs Boston - LA was the favorite, Boston won the title

LA Lakers vs Orlando - LA was the favorite, LA won the title

LA Lakers vs Boston - LA was the favorite, LA won the title

Dallas vs. Miami - Miami was the favorite, Dallas won the title

OKC vs. Miami - OKC was the favorite, Miami won the title

San Antonio vs. Miami - SA was the favorite, Miami won the title

San Antonio vs. Miami - Miami was the favorite, SA won the title

Actually, the recent trend of NBA championships shows that the highly favored teams going into the finals have a higher chance of losing. Not saying it'll happen this year, (who's the favorite anyway?), but this just shows that NBA Finals is unpredictable as it can be. Better jinx the ones who you want to lose lmao.

What metric is used here to dictate the favorite?

Fjordson

Damn, this is kind of scary. Are you listing actual betting favourites? Like according to Vegas?

neptunes

Detroit and Miami were outliers. You're taking a lot of it this way too literally. When I see the NBA is predictable, I mean the vast majority of the time. Not every single time. Lakers and Spurs have won a lot of the years we've mentioned.

Luck is a factor that is not debatable. Meaning you can't sit here and predict this team or that team will win because of luck unless you've found a stat that measured luck. So it's useless to talk about because it just means everything is a total toss up.

Do you not see the irony in your post?

This year neither of those two teams is going to be in the finals, and the winner will have won their first ever (Cavs) or first in a long time (Dubs)

Do you not see the irony in your post?

This year neither of those two teams is going to be in the finals, and the winner will have won their first ever (Cavs) or first in a long time (Dubs)

And yet they are both the number one seeds and the Spurs just won it last year after making two finals appearances so I guess we were due. When was the last time an 8 seed won it all like the Kings in hockey? What about the NFL?

I don't understand why you are looking at this in such a binary manner. Like I was saying it's not every single time. It's just trends and percentages.

Tom Penny

I sorta feel sorry for LeBron, as much as they love him today they will try to destroy him if his only championships exist in MIA.

He never had to go to Miami to get to Finals he copped out and took the easiest possible route he could. He'd still be in Miami if the Spurs didn't blow them out. He's great but that's how he operates.

And yet they are both the number one seeds and the Spurs just won it last year after making two finals appearances so I guess we were due. When was the last time an 8 seed won it all like the Kings in hockey? What about the NFL?

I don't understand why you are looking at this in such a binary manner. Like I was saying it's not every single time. It's just trends and percentages.

The Cavs were the 2 seed.

random25

What metric is used here to dictate the favorite?

Based on popular media picks. Of course I don't have much records of the past articles to back it up but some of them were pretty obvious. For example, 2004 LA Lakers were freaking media darlings back with a superstar lineup only to be demolished by Detroit in 5 games.

Another one is again the Lakers in 2008. After Pau Gasol acquisition, Lakers were rolling, Kobe named MVP, guys from the media picks them to win that year after seeing Boston struggle to win their East matchups in the playoffs. Then LA got defeated and got destroyed at the last game. They redeemed themselves by winning 2 straight so...

Damn, this is kind of scary. Are you listing actual betting favourites? Like according to Vegas?

Yeah, just basing it on popular media picks and narratives. No records of Vegas picks as I don't gamble. Don't take much into it lol.

Fjordson

Yeah, just basing it on popular media picks and narratives. No records of Vegas picks as I don't gamble. Don't take much into it lol.
Oh, hmm. I'd be curious what the betting odds were for the last few finals. If the Warriors advance they'll be favored in Vegas by a decent margin, though this is assuming Curry is healthy and GS doesn't get pushed to 7 games (and obviously they aren't the favourites if they lose to Houston).

JR being JR at the Press Conference. lol

CF_FwiuVEAExPcy.jpg:large

He's about to go Super Sayin God, no way he'll allow himself to lose 2 finals in a row. Especially against overrated posers like the Warriors.

I don't think the warriors are overrated, they are just the most logical pick by all the stats they put during the regular season and the playoffs.

Now, LeBron is a trascendent player and he will impact the game, thus Cleveland has a chance but I don't think they should be the favorites either.

By the way, the Cavs are playing with house money and they will have a real chance to win the chip if they execute, play with intensity and use their will to overcome the issues still to come, that's all you can ask for.

The series with Houston showed that when the other superstar showed up to play his team was able to have a chance to win 3 of the 4 games, so that's not a bad thing.

zychi

Banned
What are the odds of Delahurya clotheslining Curry?

Powerbomb?

Rock Bottom?

Stunner?

SweetChinMusic?

MachoMan Elbow?

Jon Jones eye poke?

TTG

Didn't watch the game, but couldn't pass up on the last TNT crew show of the year... Chuck picking the Cavs in the finals is funny. They're going to change his title from analyst to comedian at some point, right? Or are the casuals like, "yea, you tell 'em Chuck! Tristan Thompson and Mozgov are monsters."(his cited reason as usual)

are you comparing the 2? The dubs are favorites because they are the better team. In no shape or form Curry, as great as he is, is a comparable player to LeBron

Maybe not comparable because of how they different they are. But his impact is undeniable. When he's doing the things he does they are unstoppable.

If and when the Golden State Warriors win the title, they will have accomplished something not done since Michael Jeffrey Jordan's Bulls in 1991.

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine 2 hours ago
Warriors don't have one player with NBA Finals experience. @EliasSports says no team has won it all with such a roster since MJ's first ring

Experience might be a factor if the teams are more evenly matched, but I dont' see how experience can save the Cavs from being shameball all-stars right now. They are playing like shit.

Didn't watch the game, but couldn't pass up on the last TNT crew show of the year... Chuck picking the Cavs in the finals is funny. They're going to change his title from analyst to comedian at some point, right? Or are the casuals like, "yea, you tell 'em Chuck! Tristan Thompson and Mozgov are monsters."(his cited reason as usual)

He picked the Grizzlies too. Mozgov is just a poor man's Bogut and would anyone here take Thompson over Green?

Experience might be a factor if the teams are more evenly matched, but I dont' see how experience can save the Cavs from being shameball all-stars right now. They are playing like shit.

Who do the Cavs have other than Lebron anyways (that actually gets minutes)?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ESPN is already going all in on the prodigal son returns storyline for the Cavs. This is going to be a long two weeks.

wmlk

Green is all blue collar with actual skills. The guy was busting his ass the entire game even when they were down 20. The difference is he does more than just rebound.

I don't care about the "skills" BS. Thompson's impact on the game is greater than Green's for the past two series that it's kind of ridiculous. I only see that continuing against the Warriors.

I would easily. He works his ass off ad has proven to be a solid player. I think he will be a big difference maker in the series whoever is there against the cavs.

I don't care about the "skills" BS. Thompson's impact on the game is greater than Green's for the past two series that it's kind of ridiculous. I only see that continuing against the Warriors.

Smh, let's look at postseason stats up to this point. Green is averaging 10.6 rebounds, 5.4 assists, 1.8 steals, 1.2 blocks, and 14.4 points.

Meanwhile TT is averaging 9.8 rebounds (yeah), 0.5 assists, 1.3 blocks, 0.1 steals, and 8.9 points.

So uhh glad you guys are not GMs. You can make the argument that Green is doing this against stiffer competition as well considering he went up against guys like AD, Randolph, Gasol.

Smh, let's look at postseason stats up to this point. Green is averaging 10.6 rebounds, 5.4 assists, 1.8 steals, 1.2 blocks, and 14.4 points.

Meanwhile TT is averaging 9.8 rebounds (yeah), 0.5 assists, 1.3 blocks, 0.1 steals, and 8.9 points.

So uhh glad you guys are not GMs. You can make the argument that Green is doing this against stiffer competition as well considering he went up against guys like AD, Randolph, Gasol.

You should consider that during the celtics series he was coming from the bench, thus per game average wouldn't be favorable to him.

Top Bottom