• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

BigBlock_zpsi1lbzqws.gif

goddamn
Diaw causing turnover again. Diaw doing work on Griffin late.

spyder_ur

Damn. Missed a great one last night, it seems. I'd watched every second of this series until last night, but I went to an entire freaking Red Sox game, got home and the game still hadn't even started. Watched a quarter and then fell asleep.

The fact that there are people here who are convinced that the ball was going in and also others convinced it was going out is a good microcosm of what makes a rule change difficult to legislate. You'd have to go all in and allow offensive and defensive wipes off the rim. I'd listen to the argument for that, but it would bring in some issues of its own. Also I don't think the NBA goaltending rules are inherently broken or hurt the game really.

Sucks for DeAndre though. It must be basically impossible to resist doing that - so instinctive.

What time did this game get over at?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Looks like Green gets him in the lower body. Duncan and Diaw were clean.

That's not a foul on Green. We'd have 130 foul shots a game if that minimal contact drew a whistle.

I don't blame Blake at all for that loss. Dude is trying harder than the rest of the Clippers combined. I blame CP3. He simply has to play more aggressively. How can Jamal Crawford outshoot CP3? It just can't happen. I think it's very telling that CP3 is averaging about 20 shots a game in their wins and 13 or so in their losses.

I wonder why CP3 isn't looking for his own shot more in general, especially when everyone around him is telling him to shoot the ball more (not to mention that they've generally had success in this series in games where he's called his number more).

That stretch of Hack-a-DJ was hard to watch. I don't get why Doc didn't just take him out. I know you don't want to kill a guy's confidence but it was killing the Clippers' offensive rhythm across the board.

spyder_ur

7:50AM CEST (1:50AM ET). Caught the end over breakfast.

Holy crap. For a non-OT game? I think I made the right call but I feel old even talking about it.

Though I didn't watch last night, I think anyone saying Blake is costing the Clippers games is missing the forest for the trees. Overall Blake has been a monster in this series. I do think he's worn down a bit late in games though. He's played more than 40 minutes in every game except for the blowout game 3. Plus, they've been tough minutes, battling with the Spurs bigs. Blake is really in many ways the catalyst for this team, and whenever he's on the court he has crucial defensive, rebounding, scoring, and even ball handling responsibilities. He can't coast for a minute when he's on the court, and I do think it's showed up late in games.

spyder_ur

That stretch of Hack-a-DJ was hard to watch. I don't get why Doc didn't just take him out. I know you don't want to kill a guy's confidence but it was killing the Clippers' offensive rhythm across the board.

It's a tough call. One one hand you're letting Pop 'win' and you take your best rim protector off the court. They are a much worse defensive team without him on the court.

Just as much though, the next question is who do you play? Big Baby I guess? The Clippers are just so limited and shallow with their bench. I want to say they'd be an awesome small-ball team with Blake at the 5, but they don't have the personnel at the wings to take advantage. They really need a flexible stretch 3-4 who can give them shooting and defense. Someone like an Ariza or even a Pierce would be great fits for this team I think, but they haven't been able to find the parts.

random25

DJ is the Clipper's best interior defender so it's a lose-lose situation either way. The only thing that can help the Clippers avert the situation like that is for DJ to make FTs at a decent rate.

ampere

He needs to learn how to hit free throws. It's ridiculous

I'm not criticizing the tactic being employed. I just think that Doc should've taken DJ out earlier. It wasn't just killing DJ, it completely destroyed the Clippers' offensive rhythm and indirectly gave the Spurs players a bit of a rest while staying on court. Yeah you give up some points without DJ out there but at least you're forcing a veteran team to expend energy playing defense.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm not criticizing the tactic being employed. I just think that Doc should've taken DJ out earlier. It wasn't just killing DJ, it completely destroyed the Clippers' offensive rhythm and indirectly gave the Spurs players a bit of a rest while staying on court. Yeah you give up some points without DJ out there but at least you're forcing a veteran team to expend energy playing defense.

On the season as a whole, I think the strategy actually benefits the Clips, I read somewhere. I do agree that it stole some of their mojo, though.

Another year C. Paul is older, and the Clipps still cant get out of the 1st round. Lol.

Soon they'll be an aging team. Its just not working man.

That's not a foul on Green. We'd have 130 foul shots a game if that minimal contact drew a whistle.

I don't blame Blake at all for that loss. Dude is trying harder than the rest of the Clippers combined. I blame CP3. He simply has to play more aggressively. How can Jamal Crawford outshoot CP3? It just can't happen. I think it's very telling that CP3 is averaging about 20 shots a game in their wins and 13 or so in their losses.

I'm not saying I would have blown the whistle, but Green got into him a little bit, looks like he nudged him with his arm and moved him, so if there's any call to be made, that's the one. But again, I'm not saying I'm blowing the whistle there. Duncan was going to stuff that shot regardless.

Heysoos

One of the thing I liked seeing last night is that Diaw was actually taking the wide open shots he was given. At least for the most part. Game four he had a ton of open looks and would instead dribble it out. After the game three(or was it game two?) he had, I don't know why he was so hesitant to shoot.

On the season as a whole, I think the strategy actually benefits the Clips, I read somewhere. I do agree that it stole some of their mojo, though.

Agreed on both counts. You don't want DJ getting his confidence eviscerated but then playoffs are a different beast. Pop put them in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

On a separate note, I get the impression that Balmer is super hands off with the franchise. At what point does the honeymoon end for him? I personally think that Doc as GM and coach is a long term issue for the franchise. None of his signings in general have impressed me much.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I just feel like Atlanta is gonna live up to the billing of worst sports city tonight.

God I want to win, but fuck anyone who's an Atlanta sports fan knows how this script ALWAYS goes.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
When something like this gets no call you know Blake ain't gonna get anything there

image.gif

It was super late. I was asleep before the fourth quarter started :lol

The refs would have blown the whistle if that shot missed. This entire season referees have been waiting to see if the shot falls before blowing the whistle. Never seen this happen as much as I have this season. Watch the next game and pay attention to the how even the announcers are noticing this trend.

Dynomutt

Let's give some credit where it is due!

The cops who injured Atlanta's best defender Thabo Sefolosha
web1_0411_ROC_Hawks-Sefolosha_t670.JPG

Kelly Olynyk for forever changing the balance in the eastern conference.
tumblr_nap0qz50zW1s3gys4o1_400.gif

Derek Rose's confidence. You never know when it will show up.
giphy.gif

V. Stiviano for providing the Clippers with the uncorrelated motivation they needed.
2014-05-05-vstia.jpg

Dude Looks Like A Lady!
LBJ's headband for bringing back the Aaliyah Jam - Back and Forth
headband.jpg

The Toronto Raptors for the biggest BRUH! sweep.
1384270130drake_worst_behavior_music_video_0.jpg

I love the playoffs, feel free to add...

dream

DALLAS -- The Dallas Mavericks opted not to give departed point guard Rajon Rondo a playoff share, sources said.

Rondo, who was acquired by the Mavericks in a blockbuster trade in December, left the team after the first two games of their first-round playoff series against Houston. The Mavs announced that Rondo had suffered a back injury, but a source told ESPNDallas.com that the team and Rondo actually reached a mutual decision to go their separate ways after he played only 9 minutes and 55 seconds in Dallas' Game 2 loss.

The other 14 players on the roster evenly divided $208,940, which is awarded to teams that lose in the first round of the playoffs. Houston beat Dallas in five games in the best-of-seven series.

The players did not vote to exclude Rondo, the source said. They were simply presented with a list that did not include him, and there were no objections.

Man, that's cold.

didn't Rondo help the mavs win some games? i remember he was the reason why the mavs won in Boston

accept the L Cuban, hes an idiot for not resigning the championship team , dumbest move

didn't Rondo help the mavs win some games? i remember he was the reason why the mavs won in Boston

accept the L Cuban, hes an idiot for not resigning the championship team , dumbest move

Weirdest decision I have seen. It still baffles me. Maybe the first time I can recount such an occurrence.

Weirdest decision I have seen. It still baffles me. Maybe the first time I can recount such an occurrence.

Well he was trying to sign Deron at the time. It was a bad decision but it's not like he did it for no reason. Cuban banked on the fact that

- he still had Dirk
- Dallas is a major city
- He is known as an owner that takes care of his players.
- Deron grew up in TX..

I personally didn't think that that Mavs team was going to repeat so blowing up the team was ok but they should've kept Chandler..

I haven't been paying attention to the EC playoffs but what's going on with the BKN-ATL series? Wasn't that supposed to be an easy sweep for the Hawks?

I haven't been paying attention to the EC playoffs but what's going on with the BKN-ATL series? Wasn't that supposed to be an easy sweep for the Hawks?

Way too much emphasis is put on the regular season. Teams play differently in the playoffs because they actually give a shit.

They really need to shorten the NBA regular season dramatically. First round also should be Best of 5 at most, not 7.

I'm not a coach or anything but if your backup pg comes in, screw things up, and blows a 17 pt lead then you should probably should've benched him after the 3rd screw up. I love Schroeder but he's been horrible this series. Get him to calm down.

Kent too. Actually the whole bench. If Pero is the only one doing a decent job then something is wrong.

Top Bottom