• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say in Self's defense, that Duke and UNC wouldn't be caught dead actually playing at the campus of any of the smaller NC programs.

Davidson? Neutral site at Time Warner Cable

UNCG? Neutral site at the Greensboro Coliseum

NC Central, Gardner-Webb, East Carolina? Fuck you, come meet us at Cameron

If Gregg Marshall expects an actual HOME game against Kansas, that might be unreasonable. A neutral site game somewhere in the state though? Maybe Kansas City?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
That's relatively new though. Crean (and others before him) refused to play Milwaukee. Pearl made a big deal of it when they made it deep into the tournament the year after Wade left Marquette.

There just honestly is nothing in it for the larger school. Wisconsin does it because they have always recruited so, so, so heavily in state and the talent pool is minuscule.

Pretty much. I know Dean Smith would never schedule any of the smaller state schools because they had zero to gain from it The only one that could have posed a threat was UNC Charlotte. You have four ACC schools in one state, the other schools get the crumbs in terms of talent anyway.

I will say in Self's defense, that Duke and UNC wouldn't be caught dead actually playing at the campus of any of the smaller NC programs.

If Gregg Marshall expects an actual HOME game against Kansas, that might be unreasonable. A neutral site game somewhere in the state though? Maybe Kansas City?

Well the Greensboro Coliseum is UNCG's home court, they retired Fleming Gymasium a few years ago. Davidson doesn't have a facility to support the game, and TWC is hardly neutral with all the Davidson and UNC alums that lurk in Charlotte. Elon, NCCU, GW, their gyms are smaller than Cameron. ECU is a waste of time. App, UNCW and UNCA have big enough venues to support a match up. UNC has played at all 3

I will say in Self's defense, that Duke and UNC wouldn't be caught dead actually playing at the campus of any of the small NC schools.

They got like 90 NC schools. I'll give them a pass

Talon

Kansas ain't North Carolina, though - either in talent or depth of schools.
Players better put on eye protection against those cheap motherfuckers.
At least Creighton ain't out here thuggin.

DominoKid

How Bill Self ever won a national championship is one of the world's greatest mysteries.

it took a choke for the ages.

other than Davidson all the non-ACC NC schools are gutter level. they don't deserve a home game. WSU is the 2nd best program in the state probably.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Yeah, there's no benefit to Kansas playing Wichita State in the regular season.

I'm sure this is pretty satisfying for the younger brother, though.

Prisoner of the moment-itis. He's one of the best recruiters in the nation and consistently develops 3/4-year guys. This isn't a great Kansas team - doesn't help that Alexander's out.

Perry Ellis is 45-years-old.
He's lost to like every seed ever in the tournament except 16 and a couple more

eznark

Banned
If Kansas wants to retain in-state talent they better start playing Wichita State or pray someone scoops up Marshall (Indiana?) soon. Can't pretend they don't exist anymore after they humiliated you in the tournament.

Fjordson

Honestly not terribly surprised KU is out early. I'm not a big Bill Self fan, but I actually give him credit this year for what he did with a mediocre (by KU standards) team. Especially now that Alexander is gone and Ellis isn't 100%.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Us losing to Wichita State is not going to happen too often. Just like the Cyclones ever winning the Big 12.

salt.jpg

Also, were these yours? I think you left them in Kansas City.

150777_10102453931184200_1436940952438497689_n.jpg

Bill self has been super blunt about why we dont play Wichita state. Hes always puts together a damn hard schedule. If he has a choice between playing Wichita state or playing Kentucky and picks Kentucky can you really say he took the easy way out?

Talon

That's a fair point. Kansas is in a premier tournament at the start of the season every year. They're not really ducking tough matchups.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Enjoy it. Probably never happen again. You guys will be back to mediocrity in no time while Kansas stockpiles conference and NCAA titles.

At least you have wrestling.

KU winning another title with Self? Hmm.

We'll see you next year. Need to improve from 2-1 against KU to 3-0. Glad we've got a better team next year coming in. Without two dumb mid-season losses we'd have won the Big 12. Need that 3-peat at the tourney too.

Congrats on that, and making it further than us this year though!

Alright, I'm done being salty too.

Tapiozona

Banned
KU winning another title with Self? Hmm.

We'll see you next year. Need to improve from 2-1 against KU to 3-0. Glad we've got a better team next year coming in. Without two dumb mid-season losses we'd have won the Big 12. Need that 3-peat at the tourney too.

Congrats on that, and making it further than us this year though!

Alright, I'm done being salty too.

Not even a Kansas fan. Went to Arizona.

I'm just being honest as an unbiased 3rd party. I think it's great you guys won and you should enjoy it, but the post is silly when you know it's only a matter of time before the 15 minutes of fame is over. Iowa State will never be on Kansas level.

That said, f Kansas.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not even a Kansas fan. Went to Arizona.

I'm just being honest as an unbiased 3rd party. I think it's great you guys won and you should enjoy it, but the post is silly when you know it's only a matter of time before the 15 minutes of fame is over. Iowa State will never be on Kansas level.

That said, f Kansas.

I don't know if you can say that. I mean, going on history, sure, we get really good, then cool down, and repeat. But with Holberg in, and the recruits/transfers still rolling in, I think we'll at least be competitive for the Big 12 title every season.

We shall see.

shem935

Banned
Bill self has been super blunt about why we dont play Wichita state. Hes always puts together a damn hard schedule. If he has a choice between playing Wichita state or playing Kentucky and picks Kentucky can you really say he took the easy way out?

What about all those easy teams kansas plays for warm up games in the early season? Why not play WSU? That way it won't count when you lose every year.

What about all those easy teams kansas plays for warm up games in the early season? Why not play WSU? That way it won't count when you lose every year.

Real nice. No ku fan expected this game to be easy. Wichita state is a damn good team. That being said, back in the 90s when they were terrible they declined a series with us. And ku had literally the toughest schedule of any team in college basketball this year. I just don't see any reason for us to start a series with them.

JCizzle

Real nice. No ku fan expected this game to be easy. Wichita state is a damn good team. That being said, back in the 90s when they were terrible they declined a series with us. And ku had literally the toughest schedule of any team in college basketball this year. I just don't see any reason for us to start a series with them.

Getting called out as cowards and humiliated in front of the country isn't motivation?

shem935

Banned

That was then, this is now. There is no reason for them not to have a consistent scheduled set of games every year. Adding one more game to "the toughest schedule" in college basketball surely won't break Kansas right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom