• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet 16 / Regional Semifinals

All times are ET.

MIDWEST REGION (Cleveland)

No. 3 Notre Dame Fighting Irish (31-5) vs. No. 7 Wichita State Shockers (30-4) Thursday, 7:15 p.m. (CBS)

No. 1 Kentucky Wildcats (36-0) vs. No. 5 West Virginia Mountaineers (25-9) Thursday, 9:45 p.m. (CBS)

WEST REGION (Los Angeles)

No. 1 Wisconsin Badgers (33-3) vs. No. 4 North Carolina Tar Heels (26-11) Thursday, 7:47 p.m. (TBS)

No. 2 Arizona Wildcats (33-3) vs. No. 6 Xavier Musketeers (23-13) Thursday, 10:17 p.m. (TBS)

SOUTH REGION (Houston)

No. 2 Gonzaga Bulldogs (34-2) vs. No. 11 UCLA Bruins (22-13) Friday, 7:15 p.m. (CBS)

No. 1 Duke Blue Devils (31-4) vs. No. 5 Utah Utes (26-8) Friday, 9:45 p.m. (CBS)

EAST REGION (Syracuse)

No. 4 Louisville Cardinals (26-8) vs. No. 8 N.C. State Wolfpack (22-13) Friday, 7:47 p.m. (TBS)

No. 3 Oklahoma Sooners (24-10) vs. No. 7 Michigan State Spartans (25-11) Friday, 10:17 p.m. (TBS)

alstein

Nut Up. This is a 9 loss WVU team, and playing at a fast pace with this UK team is not a good plan. Lob City on Thursday.

I don't think it will be a fast pace because they'll be calling about 50 fouls in the game. If the refs swallow their whistles WVU has a chance. I think WVU is really good judging from what I saw of them in december (wiped the floor with State and mugged the hell out of Cat Barber)

ND would have a shot in the E8 as well if it turns into a shootout. They might have to score 90 to win though, and then they're risking the chance Kentucky scores 110.

Talon

WVU is not going to be as lucky with offensive boards against Kentucky. I like huggy bear, but I don't like this team's chances.

eznark

Banned
WVU is not going to be as lucky with offensive boards against Kentucky. I like huggy bear, but I don't like this team's chances.

Another physical matchup though, hopefully they'll be nice and softened up come the final four.

Unless they are playing Arizona in which case I hope they are healthy as can be because fuck those guys, for real.

iamblades

Actually giving up O rebounds is one of our weaker areas, as we try to block everything. Unfortunately for other teams most of their O rebounds just result in another block or missed shot. That plus the fact that crashing the glass will lead to easy transition points for UK means O rebounds are not really as effective as they would seem statistically vs this team.

I just don't think WV has the size to match up on the defensive side of the ball at all.

I wish Wisconsin/UNC was the late game Thursday instead of Arizona/Xavier so I can be home and watch it but but I guess the more appealing matchup has to air earlier.

As a UK fan I am worried about Huggy and his mountaineers. We had the way more talented team in 2010 and they knocked us out. Hopefully, Cal plans on trying to even up their head to head coaching record which stands at like 2-8 I believe.

Fjordson

As a UK fan I am worried about Huggy and his mountaineers. We had the way more talented team in 2010 and they knocked us out. Hopefully, Cal plans on trying to even up their head to head coaching record which stands at like 2-8 I believe.
Same. Even if we're "supposed" to win, I'm still nervous.

nillapuddin

Barles Charkley says its gunna be a beat down

Vegas opens at 13.5 point favorite

I never paid attention to Vegas til this year. Someone go look at our closing Vegas margin and actual final score.

I bet Vegas has nailed atleast 30 of our games within the point

5NOllTw.jpg

It is scary how close Vegas is a lot of the time. Obviously they miss some, but they're often right on.

It's almost as if they make oodles of money doing this.

@nropp 32m32 minutes ago
New Shot Clock Experiment through 50 games...

:35 Shot Clock Average: 1.02 Efficiency
:30 Shot Clock Average: 1.07 Efficiency

@nropp 35m35 minutes ago
New Shot Clock Experiment through 50 games...

:35 Shot Clock Average: 64.8 possessions
:30 Shot Clock Average: 68.1 possessions

O look. Faster paced game means marginally better offense. Neat!

The ACC (as a conference) will net over 28 million dollars from the NCAA just due to their performance in the first weekend of the tournament.

That money will be split equally amongst the member schools.

chris121580

Detroit radio holding confessional for Spartan fans who doubted Izzo. There are many sinners among us.

This is one of the best coaching jobs he's ever done because I feel like this is one of the weaker teams he's had in awhile. What's scary is they are a young team and will only continue to get better

Crisco

Banned
I think another thing they should look at is raising the foul limit to 6, just like in the NBA. Not every team has a stable of Plumlees on the bench when their star big man gets into foul trouble, it's a difference that heavily skews in the favor of high major teams with deep rosters of NBA prospects. It's just not fair to get completely screwed when your lone star gets 2 fouls in the first 10 minutes, especially considering how subjective a lot of calls are. It also affects how you play defense. You can't play full throttle defense for 40 minutes when you know your team will be fucked if you foul too much.

alstein

I think another thing they should look at is raising the foul limit to 6, just like in the NBA. Not every team has a stable of Plumlees on the bench when their star big man gets into foul trouble, it's a difference that heavily skews in the favor of high major teams with deep rosters of NBA prospects. It's just not fair to get completely screwed when your lone star gets 2 fouls in the first 10 minutes, especially considering how subjective a lot of calls are. It also affects how you play defense. You can't play full throttle defense for 40 minutes when you know your team will be fucked if you foul too much.

The Big East used to do that in the late 80s/early 90s. Led to murderball so I don't think it would work too well.

Maybe do the a version of the old CBA rule where if you go over the PF limit the other team gets 3 shots for a foul, 2 if it's on a made basket, 4 on a missed 3.

Jarate

Banned
the current foul system is fine, the only thing that really needs to be worked on is the shot clock and the three point line

there's no reason why we should be developing our players to play with a 3 point line that will be useless in the pros and a shot clock that is 11 seconds longer then the pro game.

alstein

the current foul system is fine, the only thing that really needs to be worked on is the shot clock and the three point line

there's no reason why we should be developing our players to play with a 3 point line that will be useless in the pros and a shot clock that is 11 seconds longer then the pro game.

For 99% of college players, they're not playing the game to get ready for the NBA.

Jarate

Banned
For 99% of college players, they're not playing the game to get ready for the NBA.
Its still silly not to try and develop the players that are going to the NBA. The college game shouldn't be that much different from the pro game, its not like these kids can't make those shots

alstein

Its still silly not to try and develop the players that are going to the NBA. The college game shouldn't be that much different from the pro game, its not like these kids can't make those shots

I'd be fine with college mostly adopting FIBA rules, except for the trapezoid. The trapezoid just looks wrong.

Jarate

Banned
Want to fix college bball and bball in general? Ban the charge.

So you just want more athletic teams to absolutely dominate with much speedier guys?

It promotes good basketball and good defense and stops players from just smashing themselves into the lanes with no consequence.

So you just want more athletic teams to absolutely dominate with much speedier guys?

It promotes good basketball and good defense and stops players from just smashing themselves into the lanes with no consequence.

It promotes dangerous collisions and gives teams bailouts for bad defense.

Having a weakside defender camp in the lane waiting to take the charge should not be an effective defensive strategy.

And yes, I do see the irony in a Duke fan talking down on charges.

Jarate

Banned
It promotes dangerous collisions and gives teams bailouts for bad defense.

Having a weakside defender camp in the lane waiting to take the charge should not be an effective defensive strategy.

And yes, I do see the irony in a Duke fan talking down on charges.

So offensive players should be able to just run into the lane with absolutely no consequence at all

devilhawk

In the last two weeks I've seen multiple defenders trying to draw charges fall into another player's knees. It was inadvertent but the play is dangerous especially when you have to flop to sell it.

Let's everyone blame the charge call, as if there aren't coaches who should be informing a player of an opposing team's defensive tendencies, and the fact that for every man that steps over to draw a charge, one of your teammates just got left open. Keep your head up, your eyes open, and find him.

Jarate

Banned
In the last two weeks I've seen multiple defenders trying to draw charges fall into another player's knees. It was inadvertent but the play is dangerous especially when you have to flop to sell it.

It's dangerous, but like I said, you need to have consequence to just throwing yourself into the lane for no reason. Charge is a good way for teams to stop a player who is way more athletic then them. And if they have a dude just standing there trying to get a charge, there should be a player open somewhere

DominoKid

every time i see a 6'9"+ dude camping in the lane to take a charge i die a little inside. total puss move and i hate it's become entrenched in the game. challenge the shot

Charges are perfectly fine and a good strategy. But they should be reviewable. To keep the speed of the game up it should be a booth kind of review so it is taken care of quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom