• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NCAA Tournament March Madness |OT| 67 Teams Vie For Second Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
You could just jump and challenge his shot?

If a guy can slide over to take a charge, he can jump up to block the shot.

if you jump and challenge the shot there's gonna be a foul called on the play a large amount of time. That's why you stand there and hold your ground, because a player shouldnt be able to just run through a defender with no penalty.

We should reward players for being in control and playing the a game intelligently. We shouldnt reward players for having the ball and just running forward towards the basket

every time i see a 6'9"+ dude camping in the lane to take a charge i die a little inside. total puss move and i hate it's become entrenched in the game. challenge the shot

If there were no such things as charges, players like Lebron who are 6'8+ and 250lb+ would run full speed through everyone for the dunk even more than they normally do.

If there were no such things as charges, players like Lebron who are 6'8+ and 250lb+ would run full speed through everyone for the dunk even more than they normally do.

Charges are called much less regularly in the NBA and you have on the average fewer in the lane collisions. Pretty much every bang-bang, borderline play is called a block in the league.

But I have no interest in starting NBA vs. College Round 74

inm8num2

Taking a charge is fine. Flopping is not.

Also, if we're talking refs they just need to let players breathe a little more and stop taking over games by calling ticky tack stuff.

Its still silly not to try and develop the players that are going to the NBA. The college game shouldn't be that much different from the pro game, its not like these kids can't make those shots

If you do that then you run the risk of looking like a minor league, something the NCAA already skirts dangerously close to.

Jarate

Banned
If you do that then you run the risk of looking like a minor league, something the NCAA already skirts dangerously close to.

it already looks like a minor league, have you seen how teams deal with the zone? and this is also ignoring that it is a minor league system effectively.

Fjordson

You could just jump and challenge his shot?

If a guy can slide over to take a charge, he can jump up to block the shot.
Exactly.

I've always thought the charge call should be reserved for extreme cases, where a guy is just totally out of control. Too many of them get called in college.

Yes, actually.

In the first one, it's bad what happened to that Carolina dude behind the play, but you know what else I saw? Two wide open Tar Heels. Dish it off for an easy layup or dunk.

In the second one, I saw a clearout, 4 defenders in the lane, a pull up with a soft kiss off the glass would have scored the 2 points, but dude had to try to get the dunk. He had time to see that defender, he could have changed his angle of attack just slightly and drawn a block call, too. I'm not going to give the offensive player a pass, he has eyes, look at the defender and adjust what you're doing.

Yes, actually.

In the first one, it's bad what happened to that Carolina dude behind the play, but you know what else I saw? Two wide open Tar Heels. Dish it off for an easy layup or dunk.

In the second one, I saw a clearout, 4 defenders in the lane, a pull up with a soft kiss off the glass would have scored the 2 points, but dude had to try to get the dunk. He had time to see that defender, he could have changed his angle of attack just slightly and drawn a block call, too. I'm not going to give the offensive player a pass, he has eyes, look at the defender and adjust what you're doing.

They call charge even when the dish it though...

Taking the charge is just a cynical basketball play.

They call charge even when the dish it though...

Stay on the floor, eyes up, ready to stop on a dime. It's not like the block/charge call just got invented this season, these kids and certainly the coaches know the game. Coach the kids to anticipate the defender and to react. He's not invisible, you can see him, plan for him to get in your way.

Jarate

Banned
ugh 2 coward plays. challenge the shot.

you challenge the shot and get a defensive foul called against you

NBA doesnt call charges at all, and you see players like Harden who literally go to the line 20+ times a game because they dont call it in the NBA. All they hhave to do is just be super fast and go into the lane and try to make a shot, and it doesnt really matter if he makes the shot or not

On the opposite end, you have the collegiate level which is trying to teach players to stay in control of their body and not launch themselves towards the hoop with defenders around them. The charge is a great way to make sure players dont get 20+ free throws a night because they can take advantage of fouls

so would you rather see "cowardly" plays (which by the way standing in front of a player while he's charging full blast towards is not cowardly at all) or games where a player can get 20-30 free throw attempts. Because that is surely what the NCAA game needs, teams with hyper athletic players getting to the line a shit ton

bachikarn

I don't think they should BAN the charge, but it should probably go to the offensive player more often. They still got to call call offensive fouls.

iamblades

I don't think they should BAN the charge, but it should probably go to the offensive player more often. They still got to call call offensive fouls.

^^

Under my preferred interpretation of the rules, charges may actually be called even more often, it just won't be the cheap ass 'slide over at the last millisecond, fall down and slide back 15 feet like you were hit by a truck' type charges.

It should be much much easier to draw a charge if you are the primary defender, and much much harder if you are a secondary defender coming over late. If you go up for a block and maintain verticality and the offensive player runs you over, that is still a charge. We should stop this bullshit falling over and sliding 15 feet to draw a charge call, cause that is how people get hurt. If the offensive player runs into the defensive player in legal guarding position and displaces him, it is a charge. No need for players to fall down to sell the call.

The main thing that is if a player has passed the point there he would be granted continuation if he were fouled(which is another thing the college game needs to adapt from the NBA), then it is too late for you to move over and draw the charge. It seems like a fairly simple idea to me, and the NBA refs seem to have little problem with it.

alstein

I don't want refs making judgement calls in-game on flopping, or even league offices. Too much potential for abuse.

I'd like to see fouls called less when players go for blocked shots to encourage that, and bang-bang plays become no-calls. Only call a block or charge if you're 100% sure.

MisterR

^^

Under my preferred interpretation of the rules, charges may actually be called even more often, it just won't be the cheap ass 'slide over at the last millisecond, fall down and slide back 15 feet like you were hit by a truck' type charges.

It should be much much easier to draw a charge if you are the primary defender, and much much harder if you are a secondary defender coming over late. If you go up for a block and maintain verticality and the offensive player runs you over, that is still a charge. We should stop this bullshit falling over and sliding 15 feet to draw a charge call, cause that is how people get hurt. If the offensive player runs into the defensive player in legal guarding position and displaces him, it is a charge. No need for players to fall down to sell the call.

The main thing that is if a player has passed the point there he would be granted continuation if he were fouled(which is another thing the college game needs to adapt from the NBA), then it is too late for you to move over and draw the charge. It seems like a fairly simple idea to me, and the NBA refs seem to have little problem with it.

This. They need to quit calling a foul on the defense if they keep their verticality and the offensive player creates the contact, or if they move their feet and get position and get run over. It's the secondary player, sliding over after a guy beats his man and is going for the rim and holds his nuts and jumps backwards that needs to be a block.

nomster

This. They need to quit calling a foul on the defense if they keep their verticality and the offensive player creates the contact, or if they move their feet and get position and get run over. It's the secondary player, sliding over after a guy beats his man and is going for the rim and holds his nuts and jumps backwards that needs to be a block.
Making the rule that you need to be trying to defend the play to draw the charge would fix a lot of my problems. Arms must be up, not covering your junk.

bachikarn

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/...n-modern-ncaa-tournament-history-by-far/#fn-2

paine-datalab-izzo-table2.png

thefro

I read an ESPN article 5 years ago about a guy who won the ESPN bracket challenge ( the one with millions of entries ) and he said a big secret to success was advancing Michigan State at least one round further than they are predicted to go. I've done that every year since I read his advice and it has paid off. Izzo is a wizard

The other way to spin it is to say that Izzo's teams underachieve in the regular season.

Crisco

Banned
Gottfried is actually at +2.5 and will probably break onto the list with another win. That loss to Temple a couple years back hurt his rating bad.

nomster

Meh. This always undersells consistently elite coaches IMO. For example, the only way to "outperform" your seed expectation as a 1 seed is to make it to AT LEAST the championship game. Not really a fair way to judge how good a coach.
That doesn't appear to be the methodology they used. A 1 seed has a 3.3 win average in their model.

Brett Dawson @BDawsonRivals
Follow
West Virginia’s Daxter Miles Jr. on UK: “I give them them their props. Salute them to getting to 36-0. But tomorrow they’re gonna be 36-1.”

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ
Follow
WVU's Miles on UK: "They don't play hard."

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ
Follow
WVU's Daxter Miles very confident: "They're not going to be able to pass the ball against us."

zxjg.png

Bark up that tree if you want bro

It is going to be a tough team to play. I don't mind they're confident. I want a win against a team that is playing to win. Hopefully we pull off the W but I know WVU is gonna bring it.

Z_Y

Nah, he looks silly.

Not a huge deal, though. I said plenty of dumb shit in college.

I'm guessing you're a UK fan? I could see why you would think that. Dax is a freshmen but he is a very vocal leader of the team. He wasn't just popping off at the mouth. It was calculated.

We will agree to disagree.

Fjordson

I'm guessing you're a UK fan? I could see why you would think that. Dax is a freshmen but he is a very vocal leader of the team. He wasn't just popping off at the mouth. It was calculated.

We will agree to disagree.
It's not about what I think :lol saying an undefeated team doesn't play hard is clown shoes.

But like I said, it's not's a big deal. Kids say shit like that all the time.

I like young buck's heart though. And when you think about it, he really has nothing to lose and everything to gain here.

WVU loses and no one gives a fuck. It's completely expected and the headlines will only be about UK's unstoppable march towards history.

WVU wins and he's suddenly the hero who motivated them to this historic win.

It's scary to think about what this UK team is capable of if they managed to beat Kansas by 93 million points without playing hard though.

Meanwhile,

CA_anTNWQAAkUJD.jpg

Delon Wright would be the best guard on Duke's team, so it's not crazy outlandish for him to say this. But Duke isn't the type of team to really respond to bulletin material. Otherwise, they would be as amped up to win every game as other teams are to beat them because everyone pops shots at Duke.

Meanwhile,

CA_anTNWQAAkUJD.jpg

Delon Wright would be the best guard on Duke's team, so it's not crazy outlandish for him to say this. But Duke isn't the type of team to really respond to bulletin material. Otherwise, they would be as amped up to win every game as other teams are to beat them because everyone pops shots at Duke.

Not this season lol. And he'd be the best guard on Duke because he'd be a grown ass man playing alongside 18 year olds.

If recent history is something to point to, it's fair to say that Duke has had the best crop of players aside from Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom