• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT| The King Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

So, two girls got a little bit more than chirping at a Habs game.

Really sucks that she had to deal with a few garbage Habs fans. There's a lot of intensity during the playoffs, and some people show that intensity in the wrong way.

This is stuff that makes me hate what sports can bring out in people. A similar case happened to some Caps fans at the Islanders game yesterday, verbally abused, constantly harassed, racial and homophobic slurs, threatened, physical damage done to their vehicles, etc. Even saw a tweet where some fans where verbally abusing a disabled little girl in a Caps jersey.

zroid

Banned
Mirtle makes the case for Crosby to kill penalties -- which should seem obvious to most people but NHL coaches, yanno?

Crosby has never played a ton short-handed in his entire career. Coaches have always preferred to save him for the power play, which makes sense given his abilities there would seem to provide more of an edge over a replacement than they would on the PK.

But to what degree is that true? And should he be killing penalties in games such as these, where the Penguins are in the box a huge percentage of the game, simply to keep him on the ice?

If you look at Crosby’s 378 minutes short-handed in his career, it’s a portrait of domination. The Penguins have only been scored on 31 times – or less than once every six full two-minute spans – and have generated 10 goals, meaning they’ve been twice as likely to score on the PK with him out there.

Pittsburgh’s shot differentials are also much better with Crosby killing penalties than not: 14 shots for per 60 minutes compared to 8.2 and 45 shots against per 60 compared to 51.5.

Overall, Crosby’s impact on the PK (a 2.3 goal differential improvement per 60 minutes) is almost as dramatic as his impact on the PP (2.7), with his ability to generate goals and shots when down a man giving his team a big, unique advantage.

It’s a small sample size, but it’s a compelling one.

zroid

Banned
DjJiTjp.png

Duckiest stat ever

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Mirtle makes the case for Crosby to kill penalties -- which should seem obvious to most people but NHL coaches, yanno?

The Sedins never used to play shorthanded either, but they do now, thankfully

Calamari41

41 > 38
Pretty pathetic that the scum Winnipeg fans are planning to ape the Coyotes' patented whiteout tonight. Seriously, come up with your own thing. Is this what these new upstart teams are all about? I know you guys have only been around for a few years, but you can still come up with your own traditions.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

They used Crosby on the PK a couple of times as Game 2 went on. It seems so obvious. He can be a bit of a defensive liability at times (at least against us he seems to be), but it does make their PK more dangerous and, more importantly, it keeps him from going cold on the bench, which is basically what happened in Game 1. Even the Rangers after the game talked about how they had to take notice when Crosby was on the ice for the kill. He shouldn't be one of the primary penalty killers, for sure, but he should get some shifts out there while shorthanded.

Anyway, not gonna lie, I'm concerned about tonight. The boys have all said the right things, they know they weren't good enough in Game 2, and I know that they can be much much better, especially against this particular team, but even still I'm feeling pretty uneasy about this. Aside from period 1 of Game 1, they really haven't come out and bossed the pace the way they ought to. Hopefully they can get it done tonight.

The Tanner Glass factor is really coming into play too. If you look at our series against Pittsburgh last year, you'll find that one of the ways we shut down Crosby and Malkin was by having the 4th line frequently match up against them. That was Brian Boyle, Dominic Moore, and Derek Dorsett, with Moore in particular doing the heavy lifting against the two centers. This year, Moore's line (Tanner Glass, Dominic Moore, and Jesper Fast) is averaging something like 1 minute against Crosby and Malkin. We're vastly under-utilizing Dominic Moore in this series (and in general) as a result. Instead they've tasked Kevin Hayes and the third line to do a lot of the work that the 4th line did last year, and they haven't been remotely as successful so far. Hayes especially had a real dog of a game on Saturday, and he was on the ice for both of Crosby's goals.

The only thing that we can really try, though, is to give James Sheppard a shot in Glass' spot and see what he can do. We did go out there and acquire him for a reason, I presume. I'll be pretty damn surprised/impressed if AV actually swaps out Glass, though.

Socreges

Banned
Is this possibly because those 378 minutes all took place at the end of each PK since they wanted him back on the ice? That would make it much more likely that no goal would be scored while he was on the ice for each brief stint.

Is this possibly because those 378 minutes all took place at the end of each PK since they wanted him back on the ice? That would make it much more likely that no goal would be scored while he was on the ice for each brief stint.
Sid and Geno are both excellent PK players, our coaches have just always kept them off for dat fresh 5v5. It is true that most of his minutes have been late on the PK, however he is still a really good PKer.

Malkin has led the league in takeaways before, yet doesnt get PK time.

Its just bad coaching.

Socreges

Banned
Sid and Geno are both excellent PK players, our coaches have just always kept them off for dat fresh 5v5. It is true that most of his minutes have been late on the PK, however he is still a really good PKer.

Malkin has led the league in takeaways before, yet doesnt get PK time.

Its just bad coaching.
Yeah, I'm not trying to suggest he's not a good PKer either way. You know he would be with how hard he skates and his IQ. More trying to say that the overall picture might be distorted.

calder

Ladd not in today's morning skate either. He must be dying, it would sure make his horrible play a lot easier to justify. Even more so than Perreault, who clearly is a corpse skating out there poor guy. Came back a week or two too soon at the end of the season, tweaked his leg, then came back too soon again in game 2.

Pretty pathetic that the scum Winnipeg fans are planning to ape the Coyotes' patented whiteout tonight. Seriously, come up with your own thing. Is this what these new upstart teams are all about? I know you guys have only been around for a few years, but you can still come up with your own traditions.

We're only three years old! We'll come up with our own things someday I'm sure, but for now we'll just copy the good ideas from other teams marketing departments.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kevin Klein was on the ice this morning for the morning skate. First time he's taken part with the full team since he broke his arm. Maybe we'll be seeing him in Game 4?

Remember what I said about the 4th line and Tanner Glass before? Well...
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 6m 6 minutes ago

AV showing lots of different lines for NYR at a very quiet, business-like AM skate at Consol. Not a lot of chirping
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 5m 5 minutes ago

Only constant seems to be fourth line with Glass-Moore-Fast
Goddammit, AV!

bill0527

So this morning Blackhawks fans are freakin livid about this and calling for some kind of punishment to Ribeiro.

grglD5N.gif

Are you fucking serious? Ribeiro is one of my least favorite Preds but the guy was held by Shaw. You can see his momentum change and jerk back towards the bench when he tried to skate away. Don't be a bitch and you won't get bitchslapped.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, Keith Yandle is not skating with the team this morning. He did miss most of the first period of Game 2 after being hit into the boards.

Meanwhile, on the Pens side, Ehrhoff is "not progressing." Doesn't sound like he's close to returning.

Sanjuro

So this morning Blackhawks fans are freakin livid about this and calling for some kind of punishment to Ribeiro.

grglD5N.gif

Are you fucking serious? Ribeiro is one of my least favorite Preds but the guy was held by Shaw. You can see his momentum change and jerk back towards the bench when he tried to skate away. Don't be a bitch and you won't get bitchslapped.

I was hearing this live, but didn't see them cut to a shot of the incident.

Good on Ribeiro.

http://i.imgur.com/grglD5N.gif[IMG]

Are you fucking serious? Ribeiro is one of my least favorite Preds but the guy was held by Shaw. You can see his momentum change and jerk back towards the bench when he tried to skate away. Don't be a bitch and you won't get bitchslapped.[/QUOTE]

What Blackhawks fans are "freakin livid" about this? I was literally just talking about this to my buddy, but the extent of the conversation was "Riberio is a cokehead", "he just looks like a scumbag", and "Shaw was holding on to him"

Sanjuro

What Blackhawks fans are "freakin livid" about this? I was literally just talking about this to my buddy, but the extent of the conversation was "Riberio is a cokehead", "he just looks like a scumbag", and "Shaw was holding on to him"

Probably the lifelongs.

This "incident" is the equivalent of Bobby Heenan getting knocked off the ring apron.

Writing my last exam of university in a few hours, looking forward to that no guilt Jets-Ducks game tonight :D

Lucky you. I have a final exam tomorrow so I can't watch the whole game tonight. I Might be able to watch the beginning and end of it, depending on how the game plays out.

Solo

Heh heh, Habs fans talking about next round when they still have to win 1 more game.

We aren't the ones who have to play the games. Nothing we say has any bearing on what happens in Game 4 or beyond.

As such, I see no problem in speculating.

The superstitious nature of many fans is beyond confusing.

Hmm, Keith Yandle is not skating with the team this morning. He did miss most of the first period of Game 2 after being hit into the boards.

Meanwhile, on the Pens side, Ehrhoff is "not progressing." Doesn't sound like he's close to returning.
Ehrhoff has been day to day for a little while now. They don't even give updates anymore it feels like. He's not coming back, or if he is, I can't see him being effective at all.

We aren't the ones who have to play the games. Nothing we say has any bearing on what happens in Game 4 or beyond.

As such, I see no problem in speculating.

The superstitious nature of many fans is beyond confusing.

It's more of the fact that Habs fans from NHL GAF, year after year, are beyond confident in their team. And they end up not winning the Stanley Cup year after year

Solo

It's more of the fact that Habs fans from NHL GAF, year after year, are beyond confident in their team. And they end up not winning the Stanley Cup year after year

Well only 1 team gets that priviledge. I don't think anyone is saying we'll win the Cup though. Just merely that, if we beat the Sens (which will happen barrring a monumental collapse), its possible to get past TB or Det to possibly meet the Rangers.

Giggzy

Can't wait to watch the Ducks game tonight. Winnipeg fans going nuts for their team and the whiteout. They deserve this moment.

We're going to need to go up early if we want to take this one from them. I don't think we'll have much of a shot of coming from behind in that building.

we're going to lose badly.

You know our motto this year is 'win by a little, or lose by a lot'

Just got back from Yosemite and I'm so excited to see we're 2-0 up!

How did this happen? I thought we were the underdogs against the tenacious Winnipeg Jets?!? No way we keep this lucky streak going. We're losing tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom