• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NHL Playoffs |OT| The King Is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

zroid

Banned
hmm...

CgypGQy.png

what did they get for him again? not much I think. I didn't know much about Connolly but that trade seems questionable. especially considering his age/salary.

Richard Panik is similar, he is quite good at suppressing shots... Yzerman put him on waivers.

I get they're a deep roster, but when you have guys like Morrow playing everyday...

ZeroGravity

hmm...

CgypGQy.png

what did they get for him again? not much I think. I didn't know much about Connolly but that trade seems questionable. especially considering his age/salary.

Richard Panik is similar, he is quite good at suppressing shots... Yzerman put him on waivers.

I get they're a deep roster, but when you have guys like Morrow playing everyday...
They got two second round picks for him (which allowed them to trade for Coburn).

Honestly, watching the guy play every game, he really wasn't that impressive. Would he be more useful than Morrow right now? Sure, almost anyone would be. But he was passed on the depth chart but so many young players and he was never going to get the minutes he'd need in order to develop further. Same with Panik. Sometimes you just have to let players go. At least they got something out of Connolly.

zroid

Banned
They got two second round picks for him (which allowed them to trade for Coburn).

Honestly, watching the guy play every game, he really wasn't that impressive. Would he be more useful than Morrow right now? Sure, almost anyone would be. But he was passed on the depth chart but so many young players and he was never going to get the minutes he'd need in order to develop further. Same with Panik. Sometimes you just have to let players go. At least they got something out of Connolly.

well... defensive forwards don't often "look" that impressive, but they're important pieces

that said, when you link it to the Cobourn trade it seems alright

ZeroGravity

well... defensive forwards don't often "look" that impressive, but they're important pieces

that said, when you link it to the Cobourn trade it seems alright
I think expectations were part of it too. He was a high scorer in juniors. I don't think they drafted him at sixth overall to be a defensive guy. He also took a lot of dumb penalties.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
hmm...

CgypGQy.png

Connolly and Callahan really killed us when we played the Lightning way back once upon a time during the regular season.

Have to say, this is probably the least confident I've been going into a Game 7, especially at home, in years. We should be able to do it because I feel like ever since Kreider's goal to force OT in Game 5 we've kind of remembered "oh right, we've always been able to score on Braden Holtby." Our offense should be there. But I'm also expecting the Caps to play their best game of the season. Ovechkin is going to be a monster tonight, I can just sense it.

The question is whether Hank can be an even bigger monster.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hopefully Ovi follows through on his words tonight

Not sure where he is, certainly hope things are ok.

I have not been posting much lately either, just haven't been in a good spot the past while, and didn't even watch game 5 as I just didn't care to watch it or much of anything then. Felt better when game 6 rolled around and watched that at least. Have my Caps hoodie on today here at work, but yeah, just haven't wanted to post much at all in general lately.

=(
Keep posting here anyways when things are like that, it should help and you're a good poster and one of the only regular Caps posters we have anymore.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of Cally, here's a snippet from today's NY Post article about how the Rangers are responding to Ovechkin's guarantee. As has been the case recently, it's mostly Kreider doing the talking:

McDonagh, who apparently suffered no ill effects whatsoever from the thunderous check by Ovechkin with 8:28 remaining in Sunday’s third period, wouldn’t get drawn into a tit-for-tat with No. 8 any more than his coach or his teammates.

“This group is real good about focusing on what we want to control and what we want to talk about,” the captain said. “This group knows what’s at stake here.”

The stakes are high, but the approach and attitude in the room mirror the approach and attitude evident from Day 1. The Blueshirts want to be seen, not heard.

“I think it’s the Ranger Way and a lot of that goes back to Ryan,” Kreider said, referring to Ryan Callahan, the former captain who was sent to Tampa Bay at last year’s deadline in the deal for Marty St. Louis. “Cally wasn’t a rah-rah guy.

“He would just go out, do it, led by example, and guys would follow,”
said the winger, who has scored three goals in the first two elimination games of the series. “That’s the same kind of leadership we have here now, too from Mac and Marty and G [Dan Girardi] and Staalsy [Marc Staal].

“Rick Nash epitomizes it. He’s so low-key, and doesn’t really say much, but he cares so much about the team, and it’s a team game, right?” Kreider said. “Look at Mac the other night, the way he came back and played even harder the last few minutes after taking that check.

“That means so much more than anybody could say in the locker room or on the bench,” the 24-year-old Kreider said. “For me, it’s easier to follow when the example is set by, ‘Do as I do’ rather than ‘Do as I say.’ ”

Cake Boss

Banned
Anyone else feeling pretty meh about GoT so far? I stopped reading the books up until this season because they got really boring, and this season is doing the same to me.

Yeah same, seems like everyone is posting up at their posts and not doing much, winter has been coming for 5 seasons now and has yet to arrive.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Connolly and Callahan really killed us when we played the Lightning way back once upon a time during the regular season.

Have to say, this is probably the least confident I've been going into a Game 7, especially at home, in years. We should be able to do it because I feel like ever since Kreider's goal to force OT in Game 5 we've kind of remembered "oh right, we've always been able to score on Braden Holtby." Our offense should be there. But I'm also expecting the Caps to play their best game of the season. Ovechkin is going to be a monster tonight, I can just sense it.

The question is whether Hank can be an even bigger monster.

I am cautiously optimistic. Holtby seems to be back to over committing, or the Rangers remembered he over-commits. Whatever the case I hope that they have him solved.

I am really hoping that the Garden is rocking tonight. Was looking for tix on stubhub and they are astronomical. TV is just as good.... I guess. :(

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
These are the tickets on the NHL ticket exchange for my section right now.

aFGjWVg.png

Holy shit. The sad part is that in your shoes I would just go and not even think about the money that could be made. Home game 7 against a hated rival, no brainer IMO.

My company was the general contractor responsible for the MSG reno. I tried to get tix earlier in the playoffs that way but they were already snapped up by higher ups. I can get tix during the year if I ask way in advance but I have no shot for the playoffs.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit. The sad part is that in your shoes I would just go and not even think about the money that could be made. Home game 7 against a hated rival, no brainer IMO.

My company was the general contractor responsible for the MSG reno. I tried to get tix earlier in the playoffs that way but they were already snapped up by higher ups. I can get tix during the year if I ask way in advance but I have no shot for the playoffs.

My policy for this year is that I'm selling Game 2. Every round, game 2 gets sold, I go to 1, 5, 7. They kind of fucked me this round by putting Game 2 so early on a Saturday, though. Since it's just a single ticket, my ticket is usually an impulse or last minute buy for people, which kind of goes out the window when the resale window closes at 10:30 am on a Saturday. So I'm going to every one this round.

Fortunately Game 2 of the ECF is looking like Monday night...

I am cautiously optimistic. Holtby seems to be back to over committing, or the Rangers remembered he over-commits. Whatever the case I hope that they have him solved.

I am really hoping that the Garden is rocking tonight. Was looking for tix on stubhub and they are astronomical. TV is just as good.... I guess. :(
Caps fans can correct me if im wrong. But i see Holtby as the type of goalie that should "over commit". He might have been punished for a couple of games, but if you try to get a comitting goalie to play more cautious, you often end up with ruining most of the upsides in his game.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah same, seems like everyone is posting up at their posts and not doing much, winter has been coming for 5 seasons now and has yet to arrive.

That line has lost all meaning. They were saying it in the pilot, and they're still saying it now. I understand the books take place over a shorter time period(haven't read them), but it's getting ridiculous.

iLLmAtlc

Not sure where he is, certainly hope things are ok.

I have not been posting much lately either, just haven't been in a good spot the past while, and didn't even watch game 5 as I just didn't care to watch it or much of anything then. Felt better when game 6 rolled around and watched that at least. Have my Caps hoodie on today here at work, but yeah, just haven't wanted to post much at all in general lately.

=(

Go Caps and hoping you're doing better.

That line has lost all meaning. They were saying it in the pilot, and they're still saying it now. I understand the books take place over a shorter time period(haven't read them), but it's getting ridiculous.

Winter still hasn't come in the show?

It starts getting cold like in the second book of the series and everything is covered in snow by the fourth, which I think was last season in the show.

Y'all are getting fucked out of snow, brehs.

Big question tonight is if the Capitals choke early on or if they'll blow it near the end. I'm betting on the Rangers scoiring the game winner within the last 5 minutes.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Really hard to have faith in the Caps in this situation, although I'm hoping Ovi pulls through after his comments

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This is a different Caps team from the usual chokers.

This is the same clutch-yet-extremely-stress-inducing Rangers team, though.

Sitting here in the arena already, more nervous than I've ever been in this building. That includes last year's Final.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is a different Caps team from the usual chokers.

This is the same clutch-yet-extremely-stress-inducing Rangers team, though.

Sitting here in the arena already, more nervous than I've ever been in this building. That includes last year's Final.

send the positive energy to the ice u can do it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The regulars are starting to roll in. Everyone seems to be in agreement, this is a 50-50 game.

Start is going to be everything tonight. We MUST come out flying.

By the way, Eric Fehr is on the ice for warmups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom