• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Fantasy Football Discussion/Advice Thread

necrosis

How likely am I too pull this off? Feel like they have had so much luck, that I am due for a lucky break with LA defense tonight

nCCRoDE.png

honestly? i think you're probably screwed. you might get lucky, tho. never underestimate the gabbert

jfkgoblue

honestly? i think you're probably screwed. you might get lucky, tho. never underestimate the gabbert

That's what I figured, really sucks to be 2nd highest scoring team playing highest scoring team, didn't play last year because that happened 4 times in first 7 weeks in 2014, I feel like its happening again.

necrosis

Drop Williams or Johnson for a backup QB?

i personally wouldn't, but it's ultimately up to you. in the event that you do, i would drop johnson; the browns offense is absolute fucking garbage, whereas williams will have some degree of upside when romo comes back (especially if dez goes down for whatever reason)

Do I need to worry about my TE?

absolutely not. delanie walker will probably be the #1 receiver for the titans (unless tajae sharp takes a step forward) and is one of the better tight ends available

Stick with Indy or pick a Defense weekly?

drop indy as fast as is humanly possible. they have one of the worst defenses in the league at this point; i'm sure a better alternative is available. if you want additional help here, give us a list of the defenses available in your league

jfkgoblue

This is my first time playing fantasy football and I was wondering if you guys could help me with any basic holes or potential weaknesses my team might have.

Drop Williams or Johnson for a backup QB?
Do I need to worry about my TE?
Stick with Indy or pick a Defense weekly?

Streaming a weekly defense is probably for the best, Indy sucks on defense, but overall looking at matchups is far better than having a dedicated defense, so many people waste a mid round draft pick on either Seattle or Denver defense, hell I got the highest projected week 1 defense as a FA this morning(had Steelers), it is the most unreliable points ever and can either propel a lucky victory, or drag the rest of the team down, so yeah stream defenses

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Pro: crushed week 1
Con: my qbs cousins and tyrod (starter and bench) got 12pts and 5pts...

So effed when my team crashes back to earth next week. Not sure if i should drop one for matt ryan or dalton

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Someone is offering me Edelman for Jordan Matthews straight up. Would you take it?

If you are getting Edelman take it. Then again you aren't sure what Matthews will be doing every week. Eagles played the Browns this week wait till they play a real D. Edelman is a beast in PPR.

t-ramp

Should I consider starting Tyler Lockett or Terrelle Pryor over John Brown next week?

I feel like that's my main weakness, since Brandin Cooks is my only legit WR. The other three have some upside but are all pretty risky.

I guess I also have Markus Wheaton, if he's ready to go next week.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Should I consider starting Tyler Lockett or Terrelle Pryor over John Brown next week?

I feel like that's my main weakness, since Brandin Cooks is my only legit WR. The other three have some upside but are all pretty risky.

I guess I also have Markus Wheaton, if he's ready to go next week.

Leave Brown. Pryor is still unsure especially with RG3 out. McCown loves his tight ends and Gordon comes back in a few weeks. Lockett is hit and miss. I don't trust Seahawks wideouts for anything besides Baldwin.

bigkrev

Lol I was winning by 40 points on Draftkings, with my opponent having Deangelo. That was significantly closer than I expected!

Somebody explain waivers to me? It seems like other people in my league are swapping players out for free but when i want a guy I have to bid for him?

Sup Todd Gurley, I really appreciated the 4.3 points that I got from you tonight.

So here is my story, I was up 6 with Gurley against my opponent who had Robert Quinn and Navarro Bowman, two defensive players. I figured even if they have a good night they're not going to outscore Gurley with 6 extra points. Quinn barely does anything but Bowman has a big night. And Gurley laid an egg and I lost by 5 points :|

It's just one game but it stings to start off this way.

Ended up not needing Brown at all with Gurley doing nothing lol. Even with screwing myself over with a trade I still ended up 3rd in points for the week (12 team league), so I'm feeling good.

Deception

Should I accept this trade that's offering me AP for Mark Ingram? I'm conflicted since Ingram had a solid week and would have been a lot better had the Saints passing game not been bananas but it is AP after all... Need advice!

DKehoe

So my first ever week of fantasy football and of watching the NFL went pretty well. A lot of my players performed above what they were projected to, CJ Anderson in particular, and in my league of 12 I got the third highest score. Unfortunately my matchup for that week was against the guy who got the second highest score.

Something I'm now wondering about, should I have a backup QB on my bench? (as I said in a previous post I really don't have any knowledge about how this works). My QB, Eli Manning, has a bye week in week 8. If I do need another QB should I wait until week 8 to draft one or should I be trying to get someone now?

UberTag

My sympathies go out to any and all Todd Gurley owners after Week 1. Ditto for those of you who had Keenan Allen as your WR1.

Cappa

Banned
barnidge. not overreacting yet but I'd like to have someone else on the roster.
Keep barnridge his value is only going up with McCown now
I have Barnidge in a league too. Do people feel that he'll get more looks now that RGIII is injured?
Yes absolutely. Players that benefit from McCown immediately are duke Johnson(ppr), barnridge Coleman and Josh when he's back.

641yards and 6tds of barnridges total 1043yardd and 9tds came under McCown

Had Gurley in one league and was going against him in the other. Him doing so terrible won me both leagues, because I was up by 50 in my league with him and only winning by 7 in the league against him.

So thank you, Gurley and the LA Rams!

2-0 between the leagues is a great feeling.

Tried to propose trades (separately) for Dez Bryant and AP. Dez guy said no but then we've been texting about it since so hopefully I can get that working. Read something that Romo might be back sooner rather than later, which would obviously help Dez out. And Dak Prescott might have been bad in W1, but he'll likely improve going forward, or at least learn to throw it to Dez every once in a while. Can't imagine that he doesn't improve in week 2 and beyond.

AP, meanwhile, is just a beast. No way he gets held to ~30 yards every week going forward.

Heard a guy at work saying he had Watkins, Russell Wilson, and Gronk all in the same league. Sucks.

Need advice on WRs, need two out of this group:
  • Matthews (PHI) vs Chi
  • Shepard (NYG) vs NO
  • Moncrief (IND) vs Den
  • Watkins (BUF) vs NYJ

And would dropping Bernard (CIN) for Abdullah on waivers be a good idea?

phanphare

Banned
Someone is offering me Edelman for Jordan Matthews straight up. Would you take it?

take that trade and run

jordan matthews might be the number 1 option for philly and he might continue to produce like he did but there is no risk with what edelman's role will be in that offense and he will be able to produce more with gronk back and especially when tom comes back.

man, I'm gonna have to see what I can get for matthews

phanphare

Banned
Should I trade away rus Wilson n j Charles for Aaron rodgers?

I actually don't like this trade. rodgers will be great on the season, no doubt, but you can always get QB production off waivers week to week (dudes like alex smith and matt ryan had a better week than rodgers and both were owned in less than 50% of espn leagues; ~25% for smith and ~40% for ryan) and I still like wilson a lot this season. likewise for charles. I feel like you're giving up top tier talent at multiple positions to get back a top tier talent at one position that's very volatile week to week. not to mention a healthy wilson could end up as a top 5 QB on the season. if you want to rid yourself of injury concern then maybe go for it but I feel like you're giving up too much for a position that's not as valuable.

jfkgoblue

Anyone on th WW worth using a 1st in WW this week? Dropping Keenan Allen this week anyway, but still in good shape at WR, sliding Kelvin into his spot, so production shouldn't fall off.

bigkrev

Somebody explain waivers to me? It seems like other people in my league are swapping players out for free but when i want a guy I have to bid for him?

After the waiver period has passed (generally, it's from the start of that players game until Wednesday morning), a player becomes a Free Agent, and can be picked up by anyone for free at any time. When a player is dropped by a team, they also go on waivers, usually for 24 hours if it's the middle of the week.

For example, if on Friday, you decided you wanted a new Defense, you could drop your Defense for one that plays on Sunday without needing to go through waivers, and the defense you drop would be put on Waivers through Saturday

Anyone on th WW worth using a 1st in WW this week? Dropping Keenan Allen this week anyway, but still in good shape at WR, sliding Kelvin into his spot, so production shouldn't fall off.

Spencer Ware, if your league wasn't deep enough to add him...I think some people would also put Willie Snead on that list. But for not-owned monsters, I don't see anyone...

jfkgoblue

Spencer Ware, if your league wasn't deep enough to add him...I think some people would also put Willie Snead on that list. But for not-owned monsters, I don't see anyone...
Both those guys are owned, in fact I lost because of fucking Spencer Ware

I guess I should just sit on the 1 WW

I actually don't like this trade. rodgers will be great on the season, no doubt, but you can always get QB production off waivers week to week (dudes like alex smith and matt ryan had a better week than rodgers and both were owned in less than 50% of espn leagues; ~25% for smith and ~40% for ryan) and I still like wilson a lot this season. likewise for charles. I feel like you're giving up top tier talent at multiple positions to get back a top tier talent at one position that's very volatile week to week. not to mention a healthy wilson could end up as a top 5 QB on the season. if you want to rid yourself of injury concern then maybe go for it but I feel like you're giving up too much for a position that's not as valuable.
Agreed. It feels like a panic trade since Charles might miss more games and Wilson is dinged up and had a bad game. Honestly I wouldn't even trade Charles for Rodgers straight up, let alone throwing Wilson on top. You can find QB value on the wire. Even in the worst case scenario, streaming QBs and playing matchups isn't a bad option.

And on the point of running backs, legit RB1s are a bigger commodity. In the case of Charles, Andy Reid has shown time and again that he likes to run one feature guy. There have been times Charles was limited the last few years and it was the Knile Davis show. Last year it was West until he got hurt and then it was Ware. The top KC RB is a monster no matter who it is, meaning Charles has a ton of upside. Even if Charles doesn't come back until week 3 or 4, he could still end up a top 5 guy by the end of the year and help you in the playoffs. Unless you're banking on Charles losing out on the starting spot, hang on to him.

Shizza

Sup Todd Gurley, I really appreciated the 4.3 points that I got from you tonight.

So here is my story, I was up 6 with Gurley against my opponent who had Robert Quinn and Navarro Bowman, two defensive players. I figured even if they have a good night they're not going to outscore Gurley with 6 extra points. Quinn barely does anything but Bowman has a big night. And Gurley laid an egg and I lost by 5 points :|

It's just one game but it stings to start off this way.

I feel your pain man. I went into Monday up about 15 points, with Gurley still to play for me, and Antonio Brown still to play for my opponent. Should have been a close win - Nope!

Tom Nook

Talk about kicking a man while he's still down.
Before Monday's game, I'm down 28 pts, no one left, and my opponent still has D. Williams left..... :(

K Allen is out, need advice on WR. Who gets higher priority?

M Wallace
or
T Sharpe

Thanks.
Edit:
Also, give Prescott another chance or pick up M. Ryan? Have Brady on Bench unit week 5.

Won every league I was playing in this week except for the league where my RBs are Lacy and Matt Jones. :(

I really want to get a more potentially consistent RB2 option...the owner of Keenan Allen in my league has AP, TJ Yeldon and Jonathan Stewart in their rotation. Would Maclin/Decker/TY Hilton/Amari Cooper be a good/fair 1 to 1 trade for any of his RBs?

wbsmcs

Won every league I was playing in this week except for the league where my RBs are Lacy and Matt Jones. :(

I really want to get a more potentially consistent RB2 option...the owner of Keenan Allen in my league has AP, TJ Yeldon and Jonathan Stewart in their rotation. Would Maclin/Decker/TY Hilton/Amari Cooper be a good/fair 1 to 1 trade for any of his RBs?

I wouldn't do any of those guys for Yeldon or Stewart. Maybe you could sell Maclin and Jones for AP?

After the waiver period has passed (generally, it's from the start of that players game until Wednesday morning), a player becomes a Free Agent, and can be picked up by anyone for free at any time. When a player is dropped by a team, they also go on waivers, usually for 24 hours if it's the middle of the week.

For example, if on Friday, you decided you wanted a new Defense, you could drop your Defense for one that plays on Sunday without needing to go through waivers, and the defense you drop would be put on Waivers through Saturday

Awesome, thanks!

Top Bottom