• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 NFL Week 4 - At Least You're Not The Browns

Eli struggled against the Saints, threw picks against a completely depleted Redskins secondary, you know against one of the best defenses in the NFL he's going to throw 500 yards and 4 TDs. It's his way.

I shouldn't be worried, for whatever reason the Vikings are like Kryptonite for Eli.

But I am worried. Something feels off.

CtfMdYxUAAEunam.jpg:large

Carson "Can't Miss" Wentz bagged a buck on his bye week.

i have no respect for douchebags who kill animals for sport so they can pose with their dead carcass

Deer hunting in the Midwest (especially North Dakota and Minnesota)is important for conservation purposes, and I can guarantee they are going to eat the deer as well. It is considered very poor form to hunt exclusively for trophy where he is from. In fact a lot of people in rural Wisconsin and the Dakotas rely on venison in the winter.

I know this is hard to grasp but deer hunting is actually good for the population.

Source: I live in Bumfuck flyover land and studied this stuff in college. I personally don't hunt, but lots of people do.

Edit: I obviously can't "guarantee" that especially since he's a millionaire but that is standard practice.

Deer hunting in the Midwest (especially North Dakota and Minnesota)is important for conservation purposes, and I can guarantee they are going to eat the deer as well. It is considered very poor form to hunt exclusively for trophy where he is from. In fact a lot of people in rural Wisconsin and the Dakotas rely on venison in the winter.

I know this is hard to grasp but deer hunting is actually good for the population.

Source: I live in Bumfuck flyover land and studied this stuff in college. I personally don't hunt, but lots of people do.

Edit: I obviously can't "guarantee" that especially since he's a millionaire but that is standard practice.

There's also the fact that deer kill huge amounts of people in this country and need culling.

There's also the fact that deer kill huge amounts of people in this country and need culling.

some of that maybe legitimate but it doesn't explain the "hur huuuuuuuuur look ma i kill somethin! i dun good!"

some of that maybe legitimate but it doesn't explain the "hur huuuuuuuuur look ma i kill somethin! i dun good!"

It's a culture thing as silly as it sounds. I think it is tacky too but it takes an awful lot of time, effort, and patience to successfully bag a legal buck (as I mentioned the conservation angle plays a big role, gender and size are restricted for hunting). You can go a whole season without getting one. So it's an event when you get one.

You typically commemorate it.

(Again, just explaining. Not promoting. It's perfectly reasonable to have moral objections to hunting, I just think it's easy to not understand or overlook the context)

Also, "murder" might be a sensational word. If deer hunting wasn't allowed I can guarantee you would be appalled by the deaths some deer would experience due to disease and starvation. You just wouldn't see it and their corpses would rot unknown in picked clean corn fields.

Striker

Eli struggled against the Saints, threw picks against a completely depleted Redskins secondary, you know against one of the best defenses in the NFL he's going to throw 500 yards and 4 TDs. It's his way.
OBJ and somersault Donnell both dropped easy TD's and Cruz fumbled another pass near the redzone. Those were crucial missed opportunuties. In what world did Eli struggle vs. the Saints?

It's a culture thing as silly as it sounds. I think it is tacky too but it takes an awful lot of time, effort, and patience to successfully bag a legal buck (as I mentioned the conservation angle plays a big role, gender and size are restricted for hunting). You can go a whole season without getting one. So it's an event when you get one.

You typically commemorate it.

(Again, just explaining. Not promoting. It's perfectly reasonable to have moral objections to hunting, I just think it's easy to not understand or overlook the context)

oh i've read plenty of the justifications over the years. no matter how much time or effort it takes, it's disgusting that someone would gain joy out of killing an animal. if you kill an animal and pose with its dead body celebrating the kill there is something wrong with you

oh i've read plenty of the justifications over the years. no matter how much time or effort it takes, it's disgusting that someone would gain joy out of killing an animal. if you kill an animal and pose with its dead body celebrating the kill there is something wrong with you

An animal is an animal. Just because it's living doesn't give it some intrinsic value. To me it's not different than being happy after a day of pulling weeds in your garden. I don't hunt either, and never have (and almost certainly never will), just fish occasionally. When I pull a nice big trout out of the water? Extremely satisfying.

I feel like I'm being very even and open here. I'm not even a person that hunts. I totally understand your position, I just feel like there is room to understand both sides. Especially since it is equally an environmental necessity as much as it is a tradition or sport. For some people (more than you probably think) it's actually a need.

It's silly to try and argue moral points though. It's the Internet. Wentz probably fucked that deer in some weird North Dakota Satan ritual for all I know.

I feel like I'm being very even and open here. I'm not even a person that hunts. I totally understand your position, I just feel like there is room to understand both sides. Especially since it is equally an environmental necessity as much as it is a tradition or sport. For some people (more than you probably think) it's actually a need.

It's silly to try and argue moral points though. It's the Internet. Wentz probably fucked that deer in some weird North Dakota Satan ritual for all I know.

In Pennsylvania they set up a program that all hunted deer can be used to feed the homeless.

Furyous

It's because we #BeCleve'd!

#8-8
#HueGottaBeCleve

8 wins is way too many. Let me hold a good five maybe six. Those 10 losses need to be less than six point losses coming down to miscues in the final three and a half minutes of games.

*looks at draft picks next year*

Nevermind I retract my statement. Eight wins is a good goal but we need to get some W's on the board. If the Browns win or keep it close during the final two minutes I'm going to be an indignant asshole on some George Dubya Bush shit coming in here with a cowboy hat and thick Texas accent talking all the shit in the world.

An animal is an animal. Just because it's living doesn't give it some intrinsic value. To me it's not different than being happy after a day of pulling weeds in your garden. I don't hunt either, and never have (and almost certainly never will), just fish occasionally. When I pull a nice big trout out of the water? Extremely satisfying.

if you feel the same thing when shooting a deer in the head that you do after pulling weeds there is something mentally wrong with you

it's not about "understanding". people can explain why they get joy out of killing an animal, and the explanation they give makes sense to the degree that i can literally understand what they are saying, but i feel if you gain joy out of killing an animal something is wrong with you. there is no explanation that can make me think otherwise. plenty of hunters try to hide it under the guise of well its for conservation or its for food or its better for the environment. all of those things may be valid points, but all that shit goes out the window when you and your boys are jerking each other off during your photo op with a dead animal

Fox318

I'll have you know I am a Philadelphia Horticultural Society member.
Muderer of plants.

I'll have you know my best friend was a brussel sprout and you steamed him with water heated to a point that it started breaking down his cellular walls after entraping him in a field of his brethren.

Have Philly fans no shame?

Muderer of plants.

I'll have you know my best friend was a brussel sprout and you steamed him with water heated to a point that it started breaking down his cellular walls after entrancing him in a field of his brethren.

Have Philly fans no shame?

There's a reason we host the largest flower show in the US/worlds largest indoor flower show. Being surrounded by the dying bodies of thousands of flowers gives us pleasure.

Vyer

I remember once reading a column in the local paper by a guy who was waxing poetic about spotting a deer in the woods. He spent like the first three paragraphs using some really flowery language describing the beauty of the woods on this bright clear day and 'god's majestic creature' in this beautiful deer out in the wonder of nature.

The rest of the column was him talking about how blessed and grateful he felt when he shot it.

I am generally fine with the conservation angle of hunting, but I think I understood then that that was a mindset I wasn't ever really gonna be able to relate to.

Slaughtering an animal doesn't seem like that huge a deal, it's just something you did.

I mean, I think taking pictures and putting it online is dumb, but I think 99% of pictures people post online are dumb.

do people at slaughter houses take pics with the dead animals smiling and lovin' the kill? honest question. never been to a slaughterhouse but i've seen more footage than i needed to in my lifetime. never saw any of the dudes/girls working there celebrating the kill.

and taking celebratory pictures with an animal you just murdered is much more disgusting than being "dumb"

do people at slaughter houses take pics with the dead animals smiling and lovin' the kill? honest question. never been to a slaughterhouse but i've seen more footage than i needed to in my lifetime. never saw any of the dudes/girls working there celebrating the kill.

and taking celebratory pictures with an animal you just murdered is much more disgusting than being "dumb"

No, but they don't track it for hours before skillfully killing it with a bow either. Maybe if they did they would.

Fox318

I think if you've ever dealt with livestock it really changes your perception on this.

I think people don't like to think about where there food actually comes from.

I'm sure not many people here have been on a farm and as a society we almost prefer it that way. Farmers are some of the most marginalized workers in our society because unlike most other industries we purposly try for them to make less money every year. If good is cheaper to produce then there is more money to spend on other things and theoretically there is more food to feed people.

You are going to have some farms that are run like a slaughter house and many of where people make their food is based on religious belifs. Whiether it be Muslims with halal or Amish with their livestock the threatment of animals as property, living creatures, or even companions is going to differ.

Until we are able to scientifically replicate matter in a way with the nutritional diversity needed for a healthy life then the death or decomposition of matter will be part of it.

I'll admit that personally I'm not one to pose with the carcus of the animal or fish I cought or killed but I can see why somebody would do that. Unless you are the most skilled animal caller out there most of the time when you hunt you will come back with nothing. For the people who do hunt and come back with something it often is the end of their hunting season depending on of the state issued more tags or not. So I can see them wanting to celebrate something or remeber something that is a skill and that did take effort.

I know of some hunters that after they bring down their target they donate all of the animal to charity, I've met some that mount it on their wall and I would not be shocked if I've met somebody who hunts for a perverse fetish.

Hunters are supposed to be trained to only go for a clean shot and to limit the animals suffering. Plus they are to follow the local and state laws with regards to tagging and managing population.

It's a complicated subject and issue and while I can understand sympathy for life regardless of its perceived intelligence ultimately death and even the enslavement of lower creatures is part of society.

Hell the football we watch is created with the dried out skin of the animal we feed to people.

The football is made out of an animal. That football is used in a sport where humans slam together over and over again often leading to injury, serious brain damage, and on the rare occasion death, all for our entertainment. I find some serious cognitive dissonance when people can be fans of that, but are completely disgusted by hunting.

lol now we are comparing football players willingly participating in a game they are paid significant sums of money for to a person celebrating murdering an animal. alright

Top Bottom