• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 NFL Week 4 - At Least You're Not The Browns

Panthers announce that LT Michael Oher will miss Sunday's game.

https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/781902665634619392

Grover! We did it!

#BasedDelHomme

That means somebody who couldn't beat out Michael Oher for the starting job will be playing instead

premature.gif

EDIT: Or much worse, they move Remmers to the left and play someone who couldn't beat him out for the RT job on the right. #PrayForChosensDaddyDoublyHard

What about Cian? Is he still stanning hard for Tanny after that game last night?

So many people defending Tannehill, I don't really get it. The dude is basically Bradford sans injuries (sorry squicken).

No, he's going in on him right now actually, I mean he had a terrible game not much to defend. But like Omar said (never thought I'd agree with him) how much can you really tell about this game other than we have zero depth?

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/781920212916502528

I mean what is he supposed to do here?

But yet this was just terrible from him

https://twitter.com/EricElizondo8/status/781920055130886145

Fantomex

Speaking of Fins-GAF, any one know what happened to Wrayfield? His last post was in the Week 10 thread from last year. After that, he just disappeared. :/

One of the coolest dudes on Fins Gaf. I think it just took a toll on him and he left football.

squicken

What about Cian? Is he still stanning hard for Tanny after that game last night?

So many people defending Tannehill, I don't really get it. The dude is basically Bradford sans injuries (sorry squicken).

No one would trade a 2nd or a 1st for Tannehill.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Is Garrett on the hot seat? And is there a record he could finish with that would put him on there? Obviously losing out would do it but would another 8-8 put pressure on him?

He's the biggest Jerry Jones "yes man" ever so that would be hard to imagine.

Who would even want that job and put up with Jerry Jones meddling into everything?

Is Garrett on the hot seat? And is there a record he could finish with that would put him on there? Obviously losing out would do it but would another 8-8 put pressure on him?

Garrett again lost his number 1 QB. Unless the Cowboys tank this season he ain't going anywhere.

No one would trade a 2nd or a 1st for Tannehill.

Yeah even though their career numbers are very similar they get to them from very different paths. Bradford was injured a ton and had to deal with a coach who knows nothing about offense and terrible talent around him, whereas Tanny has had Philbin who is considered a good offensive coach and at least decent skill position talent. I bet not one team in the league would pick Tanny over Sammy B at this point in time. Ryan is one of those guys that is always on the cusp of taking the next step to being a really good QB but he hasnt for what ever reason.

squicken

Garrett again lost his number 1 QB. Unless the Cowboys tank this season he ain't going anywhere.

And as Cowboy's fans always mention, no good candidate is going to coach there and deal with Jerry's meddling. I think the interesting thing for Dallas will be what they decide on Romo when he says he is healthy

Yeah even though their career numbers are very similar they get to them from very different paths. Bradford was injured a ton and had to deal with a coach who knows nothing about offense and terrible talent around him, whereas Tanny has had Philbin who is considered a good offensive coach and at least decent skill position talent. I bet not one team in the league would pick Tanny over Sammy B at this point in time. Ryan is one of those guys that is always on the cusp of taking the next step to being a really good QB but he hasnt for what ever reason.

lmao, ask spin how his Oline is doing with Philbin in charge.

I really dont understand what you people are talking about with the Cowobys, they look like they have found their QB of the future/present, they have a real shot to go 8-8 or better with the top QB and WR injured. No way in hell does Jerry axe Garret now. If anything he will get an extension after this year.

Watch him call plays. He is the most conservative coach I've ever seen the Jets hire.

Give me Sexy Rexy, RIverboat Ron, Jackpot Del Rio whos willing to take some risks in the game to win.

Jets held onto Rex Ryan for 6 years, and he had (at the time) a freshly drafted QB to work with. Your opinion on coaches is poor.

screen-shot-2016-09-28-at-9-06-16-am.jpg

Interesting breakdown of the differences in what the 2 QBs are being asked to do. Defenses really crowd close to the line to take away the Cowboys running game so they have to go more vertical, where as the Eagles offense has really been predicated on getting the ball out quickly and making sure Wentz doesnt take any unnecessary hits.

Fox318

Jets held onto Rex Ryan for 6 years, and he had (at the time) a freshly drafted QB to work with. Your opinion on coaches is poor.

Jets missed the playoffs last year on 1 game.

Which could have been won if the team went for it instead of trying to run everything by the numbers. Sometimes when you are 4th and 1 at your opponents 4 you go for it instead of kicking a field goal.

They lost that bengals game and you can bet your ass if the jets are gonna be kept out by that bengals game.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
more proof people from Wisconsin are murderers.

I bet you go to the local chicken enslavement and execution facility to watch the headless chicken races.

Only if they turn around and make the chickens into Nashville style hot chicken. That shit is the bomb yo.

Jets missed the playoffs last year on 1 game.

Which could have been won if the team went for it instead of trying to run everything by the numbers. Sometimes when you are 4th and 1 at your opponents 4 you go for it instead of kicking a field goal.

They lost that bengals game and you can bet your ass if the jets are gonna be kept out by that bengals game.

Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Jets went 10-6 with Ryan Fitzpatrick. A Ryan Fitzpatrick QB'ed team has never done any better than 7-9, (Texans went 9-7 but Fitzy was benched) and you want to fire the coach for barely missing the playoffs with him?

Fox318

Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Jets went 10-6 with Ryan Fitzpatrick. A Ryan Fitzpatrick QB'ed team has never done any better than 7-9, (Texans went 9-7 but Fitzy was benched) and you want to fire the coach for barely missing the playoffs with him?

If the team performs like they did in week 1 and week 3?

Yes.

Zeke

Jerry won't be around too much longer.
HAHAHA! Jerry is still a spring chicken at the young age of 73. Jerry is Al Davis 2.0 hell Davis died at 82 Jerry is still good for another decade. Garrett isn't on any hot seat Jerry will keep him around for awhile longer don't worry.

squicken

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-the-eagles-surprising-start-might-and-might-not-hold-up/
The offense, led as it is by a rookie signal-caller, is of greater concern, however. Wentz has great numbers, but he’s also been placed in generally positive situations. Wentz has had just 13 passing plays while trailing, 20 while tied (all in the first quarter), and 73 while leading, when conditions are more favorable for passing. The Eagles have yet to run a play in the second half without being ahead on the scoreboard, which makes life a lot less stressful for a young quarterback.

Also, Wentz is getting a lot of help from his teammates. According to the NFL’s Game Statistics & Information System, Wentz is averaging 11.7 yards per completion, but 6.2 of those yards have come after the catch. That’s the third-largest average gain after the catch in the NFL, behind only Atlanta’s Matt Ryan (7.1 yards after the catch) and Detroit’s Matthew Stafford (6.2). Meanwhile, Wentz’s average pass has traveled only 6.8 yards in the air, third-lowest in the league, ahead of only San Diego’s Philip Rivers (6.5) and Denver’s Trevor Siemian (6.1). The Eagles are 3-0, but Wentz hasn’t had to do a lot of heavy lifting to get them there.

Bitanator

I really dont understand what you people are talking about with the Cowobys, they look like they have found their QB of the future/present, they have a real shot to go 8-8 or better with the top QB and WR injured. No way in hell does Jerry axe Garret now. If anything he will get an extension after this year.

Jerry loves Garrett because he knows he won't challenge the shit Jerry says. Jerry won't allow Garrett to instill his "accountability" and "right kind of guys" mentality when he is praising R. McClain as being above not coming to OTAs, or calling Hardy a team leader when he is pushing coaches. Garrett will continue to be the coach regardless of success.

Garrett is weak, he inspires the players pretty well, about the only thing this HC does, but as a disciplinary coach, his hand are tied and bound by Jerry's final word

Hindl

Just read that, real interesting article. I agree that I don't think the defense will hugely regress, barring injuries. They neutralized one of the best offenses in the league. And they're playing fresh and with energy. Currently they're ranked the #1 defense, and I don't think that'll last. But I see them finishing top 5, behind Vikings, Hawks, Broncos, and possibly Pats/Cardinals.

On the offensive side, I just have to believe it'll regress. Doug and Wentz have done great taking what defenses gave them so far. In the Steelers game, they often dropped back 6 or 7 guys into coverage, so taking the short screens and slants was all they could do, which they did well. But eventually defenses will catch up, and Wentz will have some struggles. Like the article says, he hasn't had to really play from behind yet. The team just needs more weapons, and I think we'll see that when they start facing real defenses like the Vikings. But, I think this team is good enough to go 10-6 or 11-5 depending on how divisional games play out, which should be enough to win the division.

gutshot

Good read! That ANY/A chart looks very promising for Philly. Best offense/defense combo in the league right now. DVOA backs up these metrics as well, with the Eagles ranking top 5 in both offense and defense there too.

And I'm not really as concerned about the high percentage of Wentz's yards being YAC as the author seems to be. That just means the offense is getting the most out of its skill players, effectively utilizing guys like Agholor, Huff, Burton and Sproles on designed screens. It's a lot different than the steady stream of check downs and dump offs we saw last year.

It also means Wentz's accuracy is exceptional, as he is putting the ball in spots where his receivers can catch it in stride and gain extra yards, a point brought up by Greg Cosell in the latest Eagle Eye podcast.

Those are all positives in my mind, not negatives. And Wentz has shown the ability to let it rip and throw the ball down the field when he needs to.

I'd love to shit on Wentz (frankly I feel he's a checkdown Charlie) but the Eagles massacred my team last week so i'm staying largely silent on this issue.

Checkdown Charlie implies he is bailing on his first read and just dumping it off. This is not the case as the chart YH posted earlier shows he is actually getting the ball to his first read 70% of the time. It's just Doug has called a lot of these quick passes and screens. And they're working, so they haven't had to open it up too much more yet. I'm confident that Wentz can get the ball downfield, once they need him to.

Good read! That ANY/A chart looks very promising for Philly. Best offense/defense combo in the league right now. DVOA backs up these metrics as well, with the Eagles ranking top 5 in both offense and defense there too.

And I'm not really as concerned abou the high percentage of Wentz's yards being YAC as the author seems to be. That just means the offense is getting the most out of its skill players, effectively utilizing guys like Agholor, Huff, Burton and Sproles on designed screens. It's a lot different than the steady stream of check downs and dump offs we saw a lot of last year.

It also means Wentz's accuracy is exceptional, as he is putting the ball in spots where his receivers can catch it in stride and gain extra yards, a point brought up by Greg Cosell in the latest Eagle Eye podcast.

Those are all positives in my mind, not negatives. And Wentz has shown the ability to let it rip and throw the ball down the field when he needs to.

Checkdown Charlie implies he is bailing on his first read and just dumping it off. This is not the case as the chart YH posted earlier shows he is actually getting the ball to his first read 70% of the time. It's just Doug has called a lot of these quick passes and screens. And it's working, so they haven't had to open it up too much more yet. I'm confident that Wentz can do it, once they need him to.

Fair enough, they're not checkdowns. Still, that chart does not make Wentz look great. 65% of passes less than 5 yards?, almost 30% of passes screens?

Not to shit on the guy, he's a rookie and rookies have to start somewhere, but the hype on this guy is way overblown.

So no one with the Panthers knows how or when Michael Oher suffered the concussion that will keep him out of the game.

Was "fine" against the Vikings (and by fine I mean the motherfucker didn't touch no damn body so how could he get a concussion)

Has been fine during practice over the week

He just showed up to the facility today with clear symptoms.

Pepiope

Fair enough, they're not checkdowns. Still, that chart does not make Wentz look great. 65% of passes less than 5 yards?, almost 30% of passes screens?

Not to shit on the guy, he's a rookie and rookies have to start somewhere, but the hype on this guy is way overblown.
The Steelers thought his hype was overblown too.

He's taking what the defense gives him, and not forcing throws that don't need to be forced. That tends to happen when you're constantly playing with a lead.

Doomsayer

Putting my life savings on the Browns!!

Brother Rando, you are a med student. We all know you don't have a life savings.

edit: Wentz passes the eye test. Makes good reads, mobile in the pocket, can throw on the run. Philly looks like they got a good one. Just remember though, there are a lot of QBs who fizzle out after their first year or two.

Hindl

I'd agree that it's a little overblown, partially due to being in the Philly market. I started realizing how much the Eagles dominated sports news, even when they were bad, in the last couple years. Like there was always constant coverage of Chip throughout those years even though the team didn't win shit, and then there was the whole offseason circus followed by this unexpected start.

However, while it's definitely overblown, he has been impressive, especially knowing more about him. Not only was this Wentz' 3rd NFL start, it was his 38th start ever. He only played 35 games through 4 years of college and only played 6 high school games when he walked on senior year. So that's what makes it impressive. Additionally, part of the simplicity is Pederson is making the playbook in a way to make it easy for Wentz to adjust. The WCO was already full of quick slants and dumpoffs, and he's adapted it even more for the rookie. Bootlegs so he only has to read half the field and 2-3 defenders, quick screens so he just has to go through the motions then throw it 5 yds, etc. He has been throwing short passes, but he's demonstrated the ability to air it out with relative accuracy. But you're right, up to this point he's mostly just been making the correct quick reads and dumping it off to his receivers in space. As he develops I think we'll see him air it out more, but at this point he hasn't had to do a ton to carry the team. Which is good, it'll let him grow into the role more easily.

And again, part of that is the game plan. The Steelers often put 6-7 guys in coverage against 3 receivers. Not exactly smart to try to force it downfield, so dinking and dunking is appropriate in that situation.

Top Bottom