• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 NFL Week 4 - At Least You're Not The Browns

I'd agree that it's a little overblown, partially due to being in the Philly market. I started realizing how much the Eagles dominated sports news, even when they were bad, in the last couple years. Like there was always constant coverage of Chip throughout those years even though the team didn't win shit, and then there was the whole offseason circus followed by this unexpected start.

However, while it's definitely overblown, he has been impressive, especially knowing more about him. Not only was this Wentz' 3rd NFL start, it was his 38th start ever. He only played 35 games through 4 years of college and only played 6 high school games when he walked on senior year. So that's what makes it impressive. Additionally, part of the simplicity is Pederson is making the playbook in a way to make it easy for Wentz to adjust. The WCO was already full of quick slants and dumpoffs, and he's adapted it even more for the rookie. Bootlegs so he only has to read half the field and 2-3 defenders, quick screens so he just has to go through the motions then throw it 5 yds, etc. He has been throwing short passes, but he's demonstrated the ability to air it out with relative accuracy. But you're right, up to this point he's mostly just been making the correct quick reads and dumping it off to his receivers in space. As he develops I think we'll see him air it out more, but at this point he hasn't had to do a ton to carry the team. Which is good, it'll let him grow into the role more easily.

And again, part of that is the game plan. The Steelers often put 6-7 guys in coverage against 3 receivers. Not exactly smart to try to force it downfield, so dinking and dunking is appropriate in that situation.

See that's just it. I feel Pederson should be the one receiving the credit. He's really put his QB in a position to win.

Conversely, I also feel like this makes Chip Kelly look like shit. Chip Kelly couldn't win with this team and a QB more accomplished than Wentz (even if only barely more accomplished). Roseman jettisons Chip's guys and the team starts 3-0 with a rookie QB and Head Coach?

gutshot

Fair enough, they're not checkdowns. Still, that chart does not make Wentz look great. 65% of passes less than 5 yards?, almost 30% of passes screens?

Not to shit on the guy, he's a rookie and rookies have to start somewhere, but the hype on this guy is way overblown.

So what though? He's playing within the offense and is doing so effectively. I can see the criticism being more relevant if the Eagles offense was mediocre and Wentz was simply being a game manager tasked with not losing the game and letting the defense carry the team. But that's not the case at all, they are a top 5 offense. Any time you have a rookie QB leading a top 5 offense on a 3-0 team, he's going to get hyped.

rando14

Brother Rando, you are a med student. We all know you don't have a life savings.

8k5uNq1.gif

Hindl

See that's just it. I feel Pederson should be the one receiving the credit. He's really put his QB in a position to win.

Conversely, I also feel like this makes Chip Kelly look like shit. Chip Kelly couldn't win with this team and a QB more accomplished than Wentz (even if only barely more accomplished). Roseman jettisons Chip's guys and the team starts 3-0 with a rookie QB and Head Coach?

Oh absolutely. I and most of the rest of Eagles-gaf have been giving him a lot of love but it's not enough. He's been creative with the playcalling, he's hired coaches and deferred to them when out of his expertise (Schwartz) or wants to get better at a strength (Reich, DeFillipo), and has really gotten the whole team working together and having fun. You can see this in the Mic'd up segments and post-game videos. And he still has a lot of the offense under wraps. We still haven't seen the 3TE set, which in the offseason was the only way we thought this offense would move. We still haven't seen Wentz keep it on the Read Option, or even do designated runs. We've seen DGB slowly become a bigger part of the playbook. Dude has impressed the hell out of me and I can't give him enough credit for bringing this team together and putting Wentz in the best position to succeed. Chip, or hell, most coaches in this same position wouldn't have gotten this team to where it is.

bionic77

Just read that, real interesting article. I agree that I don't think the defense will hugely regress, barring injuries. They neutralized one of the best offenses in the league. And they're playing fresh and with energy. Currently they're ranked the #1 defense, and I don't think that'll last. But I see them finishing top 5, behind Vikings, Hawks, Broncos, and possibly Pats/Cardinals.

On the offensive side, I just have to believe it'll regress. Doug and Wentz have done great taking what defenses gave them so far. In the Steelers game, they often dropped back 6 or 7 guys into coverage, so taking the short screens and slants was all they could do, which they did well. But eventually defenses will catch up, and Wentz will have some struggles. Like the article says, he hasn't had to really play from behind yet. The team just needs more weapons, and I think we'll see that when they start facing real defenses like the Vikings. But, I think this team is good enough to go 10-6 or 11-5 depending on how divisional games play out, which should be enough to win the division.
One defense was dropping like flies in that first quarter as well.

Credit to Wentz for taking full advantage, but I think we could have held you guys under 40 if we had our full defense.

It is unlikely that Wentz can keep this up all year. I remember how bad Ben faded at the end of December in his rookie year. The game seems to get too fast for him and his arm fell apart. The key for him is if he makes the jump from rook to pro in his second season and beyond.

bionic77

Man one week I'm healthy the next I'm getting an abscess drained and have a hole in my leg.
I fucked up my knee mowing the grass.

After a month I was limping around playing ball with a soft sleeve. And then on Saturday I pulled my calf muscle.

We are dying bro. You better get some good medicine so you can live long enough to see the Jets win something. Ask the doc to give you another 150 years on Earth at least. Not some bum ass doctor like Rando. Find a good one on a billboard on the highway.

So what though? He's playing within the offense and is doing so effectively. I can see the criticism being more relevant if the Eagles offense was mediocre and Wentz was simply being a game manager tasked with not losing the game and letting the defense carry the team. But that's not the case at all, they are a top 5 offense. Any time you have a rookie QB leading a top 5 offense on a 3-0 team, he's going to get hyped.

As Bionic said above, let's see this guy perform late into the season and in year 2 and beyond. Tons of guys with impressive rookie seasons have flamed out in their sophomore seasons and beyond.

Joe Person ‏@josephperson 2m2 minutes ago
Update: Source says Michael Oher began experiencing headaches after San Francisco game. Tried to play through it.

That solves it.

Damnit, this dude's gonna make me feel bad about ripping him for his performance against the Vikings when he was clearly concussed out of this world.

rando14

After a month I was limping around playing ball with a soft sleeve. And then on Saturday I pulled my calf muscle.

We are dying bro. You better get some good medicine so you can live long enough to see the Jets win something. Ask the doc to give you another 150 years on Earth at least. Not some bum ass doctor like Rando. Find a good one on a billboard on the highway.

H-Hey!! It's Friday, not Thursday you jerks!!

Fox318

I'm more upset with the fact I most likely won't be able to partake in a submission wrestling tournament I was training for.

I'm seriously considering having an amateur MMA fight in the next year.

Joe PersonVerified account
‏@josephperson
Also in that update: Panthers expected to shift Mike Remmers to left tackle and start Daryl Williams at right.

Turn out the lights
the party's over
they say all
good things
must end...

Hindl

One defense was dropping like flies in that first quarter as well.

Credit to Wentz for taking full advantage, but I think we could have held you guys under 40 if we had our full defense.

It is unlikely that Wentz can keep this up all year. I remember how bad Ben faded at the end of December in his rookie year. The game seems to get too fast for him and his arm fell apart. The key for him is if he makes the jump from rook to pro in his second season and beyond.

Yeah, even before the Bradford trade I was wary of getting excited about this team before Week 14. I'm definitely more excited now, but I think the next few weeks will be telling. 4 out of the next 5 are road games, including 3 divisional rivals, and home against Vikings. And before Week 14 the schedule is @SEA, vs GB, @CIN. If the Eagles, and especially Wentz, come out of that in good shape, then I'll be fully on board. The thing to watch after that would be, like others have said, how he does in his second season. He has the work ethic and attitude to reach his ceiling, it's just a question of where that is.

Eagles had no OL last year. They couldnt block anyone and running plays were getting blown up in the backfield all the time, plus the Eagles WRs lead the league in drops last. So many times Chip would call a great play and Sam would make a perfect pass and it would just get dropped anyways. Chip's biggest mistake was hiring Billy Davis as Dc, and his 2nd biggest was sticking with him. It is hard though when every DC in the NFL is a huge fucking pussy terrified of a challenge though.

bionic77

H-Hey!! It's Friday, not Thursday you jerks!!
We only have two doctors here so when I have to classify someone as a bum ass doctor it is down to you and RBH.

RBH is still suffering from severe burn injuries to his groin so I thought I would spare him from being called a bum ass doctor.

The only one left is you Rando.

You will have to get over the disappointment with the mountains of money and pussy you will be rewarded with over the next decade once you get rolling as a bonafide physician.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
He's the biggest Jerry Jones "yes man" ever so that would be hard to imagine.

Who would even want that job and put up with Jerry Jones meddling into everything?

He is the best coach they could reasonably hope to hire.

Slo

Browns expected to cut Gordon? Weren't we just hearing a few weeks ago about how teams were inquiring about trading for him and the Browns weren't having it?

Milchjon

Man you old.

Put me in your testament pls

No, he's going in on him right now actually, I mean he had a terrible game not much to defend. But like Omar said (never thought I'd agree with him) how much can you really tell about this game other than we have zero depth?

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/781920212916502528

I mean what is he supposed to do here?

But yet this was just terrible from him

https://twitter.com/EricElizondo8/status/781920055130886145
Fuck Billy Turner.

In my opinion the Dolphins broke Tannehill. He has never had pass blocking or a consistent running game during his career with the Dolphins and his play has regressed in the past two seasons, an effect I think is ultimately due to the horrendous pass blocking. He's David Carr 2.0, just a broken QB. Maybe he'll be fixed someday and will find a higher ceiling but I doubt it, and either way it won't be with the Dolphins.

Dolphins fucking suck at drafting/coaching talent, especially on the o-line. This is the result.

Fuck Billy Turner.

In my opinion the Dolphins broke Tannehill. He has never had pass blocking or a consistent running game during his career with the Dolphins and his play has regressed in the past two seasons, an effect I think is ultimately due to the horrendous pass blocking. He's David Carr 2.0, just a broken QB. Maybe he'll be fixed someday and will find a higher ceiling but I doubt it, and either way it won't be with the Dolphins.

Dolphins fucking suck at drafting/coaching talent, especially on the o-line. This is the result.

Per Gase he helped Cutler with his pocket problems so we'll see, I mean I agree with you. Everyone screams at Tannehill for not having pocket presence but how is he supposed to learn when he's never had an Oline? How do you learn to feel the pocket when it leaks from every direction all the time? Apparently Pouncey is coming back for next game and BA should be fine too, we've seen what he can do with some time....but again I'm just riding out the season regardless of what happens, I have zero expectations

Top Bottom