• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 World Baseball Classic |OT| America prevails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason why the US players don't want to do this? They just don't care?

You also have to understand that certain players feel they aren't ready and need Spring Training to get into playing form.

Just look at Andrew Miller, he embarrassed himself. And all the replays and clips showing on ESPN and such is him getting rekt.

And let's not ignore that really outside of pitching, you have a lot of All-Stars on this team. It's not like it's chop liver out there.

You also have to understand that certain players feel they aren't ready and need Spring Training to get into playing form.

Just look at Andrew Miller, he embarrassed himself. And all the replays and clips showing on ESPN and such is him getting rekt.

And let's not ignore that really outside of pitching, you have a lot of All-Stars on this team. It's not like it's chop liver out there.

Yeah, but not two of the best field players in the game. Plus pitcher is the most important position in baseball, IMO. On top of that, I can only get this tournament on ESPN Deportes. This is my first time watching WBC and - so far - I think it sucks almost as much as that NHL International World Championship they had..

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I can't stand this DQ commercial.

TODD!
MLB.TV. the commercials are a screen that says "currently in a commercial break".

of course during the season they will have commercials and will play the same ones over and over and over..

clemenx

Banned
Yeah, but not two of the best field players in the game. Plus pitcher is the most important position in baseball, IMO. On top of that, I can only get this tournament on ESPN Deportes. This is my first time watching WBC and - so far - I think it sucks almost as much as that NHL International World Championship they had..

In what way has it sucked for you? The actual games have been pretty good for the most part.

In what way has it sucked for you? The actual games have been pretty good for the most part.

Best players - at least americans - are not playing, pitchers only play 4 or 5 innings (i.e. Archer gets out after 4 despite dominating. I actually think this is a rule the clubs want); it feels to me like a 2nd tier tournament where guys go just to fuck around, even if there are a lot of all stars. Kinda how international basketball was for american players circa 2004.

I enjoyed the Vegas and Vancouver legs of the 2016-17 rugby sevens world series more than WBC these past couple of weekends.

Magni

Was at the Dome yesterday for both games. Israël-Cuba was a weird atmosphere, almost nobody there, and a very defensive game, not so much offensive action.

Japan-Netherlands was amazing. Probably the best game I've seen in person in either Japan or the US. A shame about the 11th inning rule.

Japanese crowds are always wild, but this was something else.

Also, lol at all the Giants fans in bright orange gear at a game against the Netherlands.

clemenx

Banned
Jesus such shit piching. We need to clone Johan out of the corpse of his shoulder.

Venezuela can lose for up to 9 runs and they play vs Mexico tomorrow again. If they lose with 10 or more runs difference then it's Italy vs Mexico.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
C'mon Mexico, score some more runs. Get Italy a chance!

I really should have gotten to bed, stupid DST screwing up my clock.

v1lla21

Woo! With this win we go against Italy tomorrow. Should be a great game again.

Breh this game is gonna go to extra innings, I feel it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
From twitter

@adrian_eltitan

Nos avisaron antes del juego que si ganamos por 2, pasábamos.
We were told before the game if we win by two, we play tomorrow.

I'm usually of the opinion that teams should read the rule books but if true this is kinda bullshit

Magni

Here are the tiebreakers, from MLB

The first tiebreaker considers each team's runs allowed per inning of defense played (including partial innings), only in games against the other two teams that are tied.

Italy: 9 runs allowed in 9 innings against Mexico, 11 runs in 10 innings against Venezuela = 20/19 (~1.05 RA/I)

Mexico: 10 runs allowed in 9 innings against Italy, 9 runs in 9 innings against Venezuela = 19/18 (~1.06 RA/I)

Venezuela: 10 runs allowed in 10 innings against Italy, 11 runs in 9 innings against Mexico = 21/19 (~1.11 RA/I)

Venezuela is out.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Here are the tiebreakers, from MLB

Italy: 9 runs allowed in 9 innings against Mexico, 11 runs in 10 innings against Venezuela = 20/19 (~1.05 RA/I)

Mexico: 10 runs allowed in 9 innings against Italy, 9 runs in 9 innings against Venezuela = 19/18 (~1.06 RA/I)

Venezuela: 10 runs allowed in 10 innings against Italy, 11 runs in 9 innings against Mexico = 21/19 (~1.11 RA/I)

Venezuela is out.
The issue seems to be that Mexico actually only defended 8 innings against Italy. In any case it seems official word is Venezuela is in: https://twitter.com/jessesanchezmlb/status/841188619532488704
https://twitter.com/venezuelawbc/status/841186322928787456

Magni

The issue seems to be that Mexico actually only defended 8 innings against Italy. In any case it seems official word is Venezuela is in: https://twitter.com/jessesanchezmlb/status/841188619532488704
https://twitter.com/venezuelawbc/status/841186322928787456

A partial inning counts as 1. Italy went to bat in nine separate innings against Mexico, unless I'm reading the box score wrong?

edit: or does "no outs when winning run scored" not count as a partial inning?

edit2: the official WBC rules don't define what counts as a partial inning. When calculating innings pitched (for a pitcher's stats), outs matter, but the rules mention innings defended (by a team, not a pitcher), not innings pitched. I guess since it's not defined, it implicitly uses the same definition as innings pitched, but lesson learned for next time hopefully. What a shit show. Feel sorry for Team Mexico, celebrating what they thought was a good-enough win.

What a fucking mess. There has to be a better more clear way of tiebreaking in this tournament. I've seriously read and reread this "rule" here and on my local newspaper and I haven't been able to wrap my head around it. Can someone explain to me what happened in layman's terms? I can't be the only one still confused! I know at least some on the MLB were too if they initially announced Mexico was going for the tiebreak game!

What a waste!

Magni

What a fucking mess. There has to be a better more clear way of tiebreaking in this tournament. I've seriously read and reread this "rule" here and on my local newspaper and I haven't been able to wrap my head around it. Can someone explain to me what happened in layman's terms? I can't be the only one still confused! I know at least some on the MLB were too if they initially announced Mexico was going for the tiebreak game!

What a waste!

Read the posts above yours. The first tie breaker is "runs per inning (including partial innings) defended". The issue was, does the bottom of the 9th against Italy count as a partial inning? Mexico didn't get a single out then.

They ruled that it didn't count, so Mexico only defended 18 innings total, giving them the highest runs allowed per inning defended of the three teams.

Tubie

It's incredible that the team that got mercy ruled in that group is the one with the chance of a tie break :O

Magni

It's incredible that the team that got mercy ruled in that group is the one with the chance of a tie break :O

Yeah, if the games against Puerto Rico were counted, then Venezuela's runs per inning would be the worst by far.

Rooting for the Netherlands tonight, really want to see them go to LA with Japan.

So Venezuela who got beat so bad they literally got mercy ruled gets to advance but Mexico doesn't because the 9th inning doesn't exist because they never recorded an out.

MLB stop being stupid please. Just do Mex vs Venezuela in the AM tomorrow, and Italy pkays the winner in the PM. Winner of that moves on. Its baseball, you'll sell tickets and have an extra game to air on mlb tv and mlb network. Free money.

What else are you going to broadcast, some derpy ass spring training game? My goodness let these baseball teams, you know, play actual baseball to determine the winner. Not stupid ass math equations which are unfair to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom