• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 World Baseball Classic |OT| America prevails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggytronz

There are 3 steps guys. Go read them.

Three Teams Tied 1-2: If there are three teams tied 1-2, then the tiebreaker rules would be applied to rank the three, and the first two ranked teams would play a tiebreaker game, the winner of which would advance. The tiebreaker rules will be applied as follows:

Step 1: The tied Teams shall be ranked in the standings for that Round according to fewest runs allowed divided by the number of innings (including partial innings) played in defense in the games in that Round between the Teams tied.

Step 2: The tied Teams shall be ranked in the standings according to fewest earned runs allowed divided by the number of innings (including partial innings) played in defense in the games in that Round between the Teams tied.

Step 3: The tied Teams shall be ranked in the standings according to highest batting average in games in that Round between the Teams tied.

Step 4: Standings shall be determined by the drawing of lots, conducted by WBCI

Miggytronz

This still doesn't make any fucking sense to me. How is the game against the team that beat all of them not count at all in this.

Who comes up with this shit?

Welcome to Round Robin Pool Play Tournaments. Where if you get stuck in a tie you better have better numbers on paper.

clemenx

Banned
What a fucking joke, jesus. I knew it was going to be a clusterfck.

I get mlb reasoning but its absurd to go with that the box score says in this case. Obviously the 9th vs Italy existed.

Schrödinger's inning

They also probably killed México's interest in this forever. Here in Venezuela everyone's ok with the loss because we have fucking sucked so much.

So apparently Mexico is in again and Venezuela is out!? Who's in charge of this goddamn tournament? And could the tie break be any more confusing? Jesus Christ!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Hot dog eating contest for the three teams.

And the hot dogs have ketchup and only ketchup on them.

Where did you see that, Alex? I can't find anything.

Just have the 3 teams play lmao what a disaster.
In the WBC website they put TBD again for tonight's tiebreak game. Mexico put out a formal protest after the game and the MLB hasn't declared a resolution so Mexico is still in for now. I'm so confused.

Miggytronz

MLB.com still has Venezuela vs Italy scheduled.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ml...-edges-venezuela-for-wild-wbc-17-win.amp.html
In a wild game with huge implications for Pool D of the World Baseball Classic, Mexico held off Venezuela in an 11-9 victory on Sunday night at Estadio de Beisbol Charros de Jalisco.

As a result, Mexico, Venezuela and Italy all finished with records of 1-2 in pool play. Under Classic tiebreaker rules, the two teams with the fewest runs allowed per defensive inning among the teams tied during the tournament play a tiebreaker, and the other is eliminated.

Major League Baseball announced that Venezuela (1.11 runs allowed per defensive inning) and Italy (1.05 runs allowed) will play tonight at 9 p.m. ET to determine which team from Pool D joins Puerto Rico in the second round. Mexico filed a protest after the game.

The razor-thin margin that decided the tiebreaker is reflective of how three evenly matched these 1-2 teams are. And given the fact that they all lost to Puerto Rico and allowed at least a run per inning in the games against the other two, no team had an obvious case for advancement.

Mexico protested that ruling based on how those figures were calculated. The general manager of Team Mexico, Kundy Gutierrez, told reporters after the game that discussions regarding the ruling were taking place between MLB chief baseball officer Joe Torre and senior vice president of baseball operations Kim Ng. The ruling was later confirmed, and Venezuela will play Italy for the Pool D tiebreaker.

Mexico finished with 1.12 runs allowed per defensive inning, edged out by the slimmest of margins by Venezuela with Sunday's head-to-head outcome. Even though Mexico gave up five runs in the ninth inning of a loss to Italy on Thursday, only eight defensive innings were counted from that game toward the calculation because an out was never recorded in the ninth.

Sucks for Mexico but rules are rules.

MLB.com still has Venezuela vs Italy scheduled.

Sucks for Mexico but rules are rules.
True that. But they could and should strive for better rules and making them clearer. There's no excuse for the organizers announcing everywhere it's Mexico vs Italy only to an hour later go oops we fucked up. That can't be tolerated.

Miggytronz

True that. But they could and should strive for better rules and making them clearer. There's no excuse for the organizers announcing everywhere it's Mexico vs Italy only to an hour later go oops we fucked up. That can't be tolerated.

I don't know where you saw Mexico in. Because ever since 5am eastern MLB had Venezuela in. Who are these organizers you speak of?

JoseDFrog

Banned
I'm not ready for tomorrow's civil war at home. All I know is that whichever team wins the other is going to be intolerable.
I will be intolerable

NYCrooner

I'm not ready for tomorrow's civil war at home. All I know is that whichever team wins the other is going to be intolerable.
I will be intolerable
I don't know man, most Ricans WANT to beat DR but don't really expect it to happen. Even if PR does win, it'll be cool and all but they need a WBC title because Dominicans will hold that over their heads. The whole PR/DR - love/hate thing makes for great theater.

xkramz

How the fuck is DR 2nd in the ESPN power ranking??? They put USA above Dr.

11 win streak
Overcame 5-0 deficit on ESPN number one power ranking
Undefeated this and
Reigning champs

Choomp

Banned
How the fuck is DR 2nd in the ESPN power ranking??? They put USA above Dr.

11 win streak
Overcame 5-0 deficit on ESPN number one power ranking
Undefeated this and
Reigning champs

I mean there's the obvious, ESPN: at its heart an American outlet, read by a lot of Americans, that's probably what they want to see. Or, maybe talent wise it's closer than it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom