• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Madness

It won't necessarily be clear what could have caused the explosion for some time. The police urging caution under those circumstances is not surprising. This sort of speculation ought to be a bannable offense and I wish the NeoGAF moderators would take it more seriously.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/866806307159986176

08Aw0Qf.jpg

I mean, it wasn't as if I speculated something so out of the ordinary, that a massive explosion at a public place with tons of individuals in the 21st century, wouldn't possibly be some sort of domestic/foreign attack. There is a reason we go to believing it is an attack because almost always that is what it is. But keep backseat moderating I guess.

Rest in peace for the victims. This hits hard because you think of little kids going to see their favorite pop stars and are innocent.

R&R

Looks like there might have been victims crushed from the stampede around the Victoria station stairs that connect directly to the arena. BBC eyewitness report.

are security precautions different at concerts in England?

here in the USA, I don't see how someone could sneak in a bomb at a major concert like this

all my shit goes through a metal detector and I am searched all over
Airport style searches are standard in USA because of guns. But in the UK such a search has never been necessary.. historically. But major incidents can change this..

Wes

venison crêpe
Witness being interviewed on Radio Five live says he saw lots of metal nuts at the scene. Schrapnel in this witness' terms. He had a wound in his foot from this schrapnel that was bleeding a lot (he just showed the journalist who said he needed to get to hospital). He was outside of the arena heading in.

Baleoce

Regarding those US sources, neither BBC or Sky have used the term suicide bombing as of yet. Just an fyi. Just "possible terrorist attack".

@PeteWilliamsNBC: "Increasing confidence" among investigators this was terror attack; forensic evidence points to possible backpack bomb.

FYI is this being reported live on Msnbc

The source of the 20 deaths is a man who was in the foyer waiting for his wife and kids. The explosion was behind him and he said there was 20-30 people seriously injured.

From BBC live feed

Rachel from Barnsley told BBC Radio Manchester she was in Block 213 of Manchester Arena.

She was with her 14-year-old daughter. To avoid the usual delays exiting the arena at the end of a show they decided to make their way out just before the end.

"As we were going out we heard an almighty bang. At first I thought we'd missed something in the concert.

"As we turned around the corner there was an horrific stampede of people coming down the steps, people falling on floor.

"I grabbed my daughter and we just ran.

"There were people being crushed on the floor."

iMax

Sky News information from local hospitals: "They are treating a number of people with what are believed to be 'shrapnel/blast type injuries'".

Where the fuck is NBC news getting all this information? They're not at the scene and actual UK news I'm watching and following via local TV (I'm in Birmingham) aren't saying fuck all about suicide bombings, gunmen outside hospitals and 100s being killed.

Why the hell are US news sites posting this shit? I'm sure as hell people who live in Manchester and if they're seeing that news via twitter or Facebook are probably freaking the fuck out.

LiK

NBC is pretty reliable and they're going by what officials are saying. I'm sure things are fluid and will change.

Violet_0

Banned
Yeah, basically just checking if you're not sneaking in alcohol.

I can imagine especially at an Ariana Grande concert security wouldn't be that tight.

I worked as stadium security during an UEFA EC, and when a match was about to starts, we were told to pretty much just wave everyone it. The security checks were a joke

What's your legitimate news source on that?

Common sense number one. Photos of the scene number 2.Training and ability to recognize trauma and cause number 3.

Plausible trampling deaths after the event, sure, but primarily casualties are going to be blast related and not some panic because a balloon popped.

BahamutPT

I always thought of a nail bomb as something kinda small. Would it be cable of producing an explosion like the one in that video?
That seemed like a HUGE flash and bang.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Any cunt who would do anything like this (for a god who does not exist to boot), does not belong in the west.

I'm visiting my boyfriend in Manchester at the moment. We can hear the helicopters overhead as we're less than a mile from the attack. It's truly frightening. I'm scared the perpetrators might be around the area.

I'm a very anxious person but walking around Manchester City centre the past few days I could just see so many opportunities for terrorists to strike whether it's the main high street which had zero police presence on Sunday or the train stations where zero checks are made of luggage. I'm due to go home to Scotland by train on Wednesday and I'm already thinking of asking someone to pick me up by car if possible.

I hope everyone in Manchester stays safe and RIP to those who died.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Where the fuck is NBC news getting all this information? They're not at the scene and actual UK news I'm watching and following via local TV (I'm in Birmingham) aren't saying fuck all about suicide bombings, gunmen outside hospitals and 100s being killed.

Why the hell are US news sites posting this shit? I'm sure as hell people who live in Manchester and if they're seeing that news via twitter or Facebook are probably freaking the fuck out.

Yeah I wouldn't believe anything they're reporting without corroboration from a UK source.

RawNuts

What in the actual fuck

not a pic, just a tweet.

https://twitter.com/fuck the link
Wow, so fucking edgy, eh?

Who the fuck even thinks to respond like this to a situation where fatalities are just confirmed? Especially at an event where families and children are the main audience. Good job on this piece of shit for being so far removed from any kind of empathy that they're basically sub-human. Deny this person any working position in civilized human society.

Arcteryx

screenshot2017-05-22ajjx2g.png

botty

Banned
Absolutely disgusting!

Ariana's concert is thematically about female empowerment, acceptance, gay rights, tolerance and other progressive ideas that terrorists hate... so this might have been very deliberate choice.

Ushay

Sitting in Manchester working a night shift, reading this is really nerve wracking :(

Hope all the poor people make it home especially the young ones.

Madness

Honestly don't know what I would do if in this situation. Knowing that I may be crushing or hurting other people while trying to run. What's the answer in this situation?

It is fight or flight mentality. Remember the Colorado shooting in the theatre. Some tried to flee automatically for the exits leaving their spouses. Others laid down and covered their children or others and were killed instead. It is hardwired in our brains to protect our own or run. Which is why the rush to flee happens.

If this is terrorism I say this. If anyone thinks they are going to cause hate and unrest in multicultural Manchester they are very fucking wrong.

The city will stand shoulder to shoulder against any attack.

Top Bottom