• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Oregano

IIRC you go upstairs in Victoria station, and then there's a foyer with a McDonalds, other fast food places, etc, and some stairs which connect into the arena right? Is that the main entrance into the arena?

Yes, it is. I think the McDonald's closed though(or was/is going to).

Weckum

IIRC you go upstairs in Victoria station, and then there's a foyer with a McDonalds, other fast food places, etc, and some stairs which connect into the arena right? Is that the main entrance into the arena?

There's also the outside entrance, no? I was there last October and remember coming in via the outside staircase, exiting through Victoria Station.

Tovarisc

VX6xE2v.png

https://twitter.com/mikeyworrall1/status/866811062125035520

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Why is there always so much deflection in these threads saying that it's not an attack? Let's just wait and see right? Is it just trying to be positive? If so it's obnoxious.

Some of you are focusing on the wrong stuff here. Who cares about Trump or where NBC is getting its info. We need to wait to get the full story.

Tagg9

Fucking hell, I assumed just a few people were injured in the blast but 19 dead?!! This is unbelievably horrible...

Audioboxer

A large explosion will always be treated as a terrorist attack as they probably have protocols in place to respond to anything explosion related formulated as part of their terrorist response teams.

They took their time to be careful to progress from explosion with no confirmed cause to terrorist incident.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
BBC RADIO FIVE LIVE:

Media told to move urgently by police. Second suspect device. Controlled explosion due.

Edit: Officers on the ground told him to move back 200ft.
And the gravy thickens...

Mindwipe

Wouldn't trust any news source from outside of the UK tbh. BBC should be on the ball - they're in part based in Manchester so will have good contacts as well as people on the scene quickly.

BBC News doesn't really have any staff in Manchester more than any other part of the UK, the Manchester office is BBC Sport and BBC Technology. EDIT: They do have news radio reporters in Manchester, my apologies.

Having said that, BBC policy is to only report with two sources confirming in incidents like this, so they are probably going to be the most reliable. Not the quickest, but definitely the most reliable.

adamy

Banned
so I'm watching Fox news and they just pointed out that Fox network owns Sky News...learn something new every day

FYI Fox is getting their info directly from Sky

Xando

BBC RADIO FIVE LIVE:

Media told to move urgently by police. Second suspect device. Controlled explosion due.

Edit: Officers on the ground told him to move back 200ft.
This sounds like the classic 1-2 punch ISIS likes to use.

Create chaos with first bomb and kill fleeing people with the second

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This is awful.

Judging by the reports of shrapnel, it was probably one of those pressure cooker devices like in the Boston Marathon bombing.

Wes

venison crêpe
BBC News doesn't really have any staff in Manchester more than any other part of the UK, the Manchester office is BBC Sport and BBC Technology.

Having said that, BBC policy is to only report with two sources confirming in incidents like this, so they are probably going to be the most reliable. Not the quickest, but definitely the most reliable.

BBC Five Live is as much News as it is Sport. That radio channel has got three reporters on scene.

jrush64

Banned
There are people on Twitter posting pics of loved ones and friends asking if anyone has seen or heard anything from them. This is so heartbreaking.

Hjod

Banned
If it happened outside the venue the amount of casualties probably comes due to the panic and people getting trampled :(.

They are referring to area between "inner sanctum" of arena where actual concert was happening and seats etc. are and outer walls of building itself. Not outside outside.

My thoughts are with the affected, horrible.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Why is there always so much deflection in these threads saying that it's not an attack? Let's just wait and see right? Is it just trying to be positive? If so it's obnoxious.

Because we don't always know all the facts? Why speculate and spread fear for no reason.

Tovarisc

So it happened outside the arena? I thought people were saying some balloons were going off inside...?

They are referring to area between "inner sanctum" of arena where actual concert was happening and seats etc. are and outer walls of building itself. Not outside outside.

There's also the outside entrance, no? I was there last October and remember coming in via the outside staircase, exiting through Victoria Station.

I honestly can't remember. I've walked out of Victoria station at ground level (the old facade, which has some cafes/shops in, and taxi rank outside, behind which they were building the new roof at the time), and I've walked down that side of the arena once, but I honestly couldn't remember the layout apart from that. Usually I headed straight towards the Coop building

Congrats on finding something to shit on. Go on and say the same about pretty much other leader who haven't said anything. Because we don't know/they don't want to go public yet.

If anything we should criticize him for looking at voters straight in the face and seriously claiming that he would have defeated ISIS and stopped all of this from happening within his first 100 days.

It was supposed to be easy once you just say the phrase radical islamic terrorism.

Seems kind of orderly in there doesn't it? For an explosion going off?

It happened outside according to the people running the venues official response.

Top Bottom