• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I find the almost gleeful armchair experts declaring this that and the next thing to be much more obnoxious.

We saw just recently in New York an incident that seemed to mirror recent attacks in Europe that turned out to be nothing of the sort.

The fact is that around these sort of things there is a lot of misinformation. I live in Stockholm - with our recent incident there were reports of shootings all over the city that all turned out to be false. I tried to calm people in my office as they treated every single social media post as fact.

It isn't "let's wait and see", it is "let's listen to the officials rather than social media".

Both sides are beyond obnoxious. One side is damning an entire group of people, the other are pretending the problem doesn't exist.

Listening live on the radio right now of someone there and there was an explosion which is just heard, kinda scary but it thankfully was a controller explosion according to the caller on Scene.

Miles X

Ugh, oh fuck. So many. And they are most likley very young. I just do not get it.

Also, why the fuck do some of you need confirmation that this is a terrorists act? I keep seeing it asked. Making it seem as if these things are out of the ordinary. No it is not. Most of the time when we hear of explosions in a crowd of people it is in fact a damn terrorist attack and that really should be the prevailing thought until it is confirmed not to be terrorist attack. Sure it may not be an attack but our guard should be up until we know otherwise. Not the other way around.

Interesting there seem to be two sides to this (I agree with yours). Some people are desperate to confirm it's a terrorist attack, some are desperate to confirm/argue it isn't. Both have agenders IMO.

I'd like to know the odds of any incident like this in the UK NOT being a terrosit attack though ...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
@gmpolice 57s57 seconds ago

There will be a controlled explosion in Cathedral gardens shortly if you hearing anything don't be concerned.

How far away is that from the first device?

Not in Manchester mate.

Been living near the city for 28 years with many Muslim relatives living inside of the city and many, many people living of all colours living in the main part and the surrounding towns and suburbs. Not many if any of the people I encountered and spoke to had problems with intergration, be it brown black or white.

Hell cheetam hill is melting point of muslims and Jews and they seem to get along fine as far as what I have seen and read.
I lived in Longsight for years.

Anyone thinking Manchester has integration issues compared to any other place, hasn't lived there.

DrSlek

Wait, this WAS a bomb? I thought they said it was just large balloons going off that made loud noises.

Nothing confirmed. Statements from official sources are limited to an explosion in a public area outside of the venue. It's being treated as a terrorist incident. GM Police have confirmed they'll be doing a controlled explosion of another suspected device, and have extended the cordon accordingly.

I hate to make things darker but what am I hearing about kids?

It's an Ariana Grande concert. It would mostly be teens and tweens.

This is confusing. Sure it's a big venue but since a bomb killed 20 people, why is the announcer saying there's no problems? Certainly they'd all have just saw that happen. Is the audio fake?
He probably is trying to prevent a panic stampede that could harm even more people.

Weckum

A controlled explosion just happened live on BBC news. So there was a second one found.

Controlled explosions happen all the time in these cases. It doesn't mean necessarily that it was a second bomb. Often it's just a 'better safe than sorry' thing.

And we don't even know for sure there was a first bomb. Still, we only know there was an explosion. Cause unknown.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
A controlled explosion just happened live on BBC news. So there was a second one found.
It could've just been an errant box or bag or something. Best to take precaution.

Any time there's an (awful) event like this, there are always reports of numerous devices because everything looks suspicious.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

The police and the disposal experts are heroes.

Imagine if this was your job (actual picture from Northern Ireland, early 1970's):

PchUb3A.jpg

Yeah I know what you mean. You're more concerned about not getting accurate scoops than the people involved, as indicated by your language.

Kick the heaviest of rocks.

You know damn well I'm imploring people to keep the events accurate and not spread false tweets. But hey, if you want to be an ass by all means have at it. The thread is yours.

GavinUK86

Controlled explosions happen all the time in these cases. It doesn't mean necessarily that it was a second bomb. Often it's just a 'better safe than sorry' thing.

It could've just been an errant box or bag or something. Best to take precaution.

Any time there's an (awful) event like this, there are always reports of numerous devices because everything looks suspicious.

True.

Kadin

Listening to this lady on the phone with Sky News saying the place was filled with young girls and boys is crushing... so absolutely terrible.

My little brother was going to go to this concert but my folks and I wouldn't let him go alone. I was going to go with him if he had won.

....I want to go hug him now.

As someone who sees Manchester as a second home for much of my life, this fucking hurts. Sick bastards.

Once again, complete respect to the officers out there right now, especially those dealing with the controlled explosion. Please stay safe there, everyone.

Top Bottom