• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Weckum

This sounds like the classic 1-2 punch ISIS likes to use.

Create chaos with first bomb and kill fleeing people with the second

In these case basically any bag left behind will be treated as this tho.

I don't think ISIS has used an attack on first responders in Europe? I only remember seeing this a lot of times in Iraq and Syria. Even during the France attacks this didn't happen.

Lum1n3s

Wow, I really hope everyone who's in the UK is safe.

What's weird/freaky is that I was just thinking about the Paris bombings and then this happens. I'm really hoping it's not as catastrophic as that.

RedHill

Banned
Wow @ the audio from the announcer inside the event saying there's no problems...

Was just played on Sky News http://news.sky.com/watch-live

edit: then again you don't want to reinforce a panic I guess
This is confusing. Sure it's a big venue but since a bomb killed 20 people, why is the announcer saying there's no problems? Certainly they'd all have just saw that happen. Is the audio fake?

Wes

venison crêpe
BBC Radio 5 Live update:

Policeman shouted to media "stand against wall, away from windows" - there will be a controlled explosion in 3/4 minutes.

Edit: Reporter was on Corporation Street.

Edit2: Double confirmation:
@CTVMercedes
Manchester police are telling British journalists a second suspect device has been found and they will execute a controlled explosion

amanset

Why is there always so much deflection in these threads saying that it's not an attack? Let's just wait and see right? Is it just trying to be positive? If so it's obnoxious.

I find the almost gleeful armchair experts declaring this that and the next thing to be much more obnoxious.

We saw just recently in New York an incident that seemed to mirror recent attacks in Europe that turned out to be nothing of the sort.

The fact is that around these sort of things there is a lot of misinformation. I live in Stockholm - with our recent incident there were reports of shootings all over the city that all turned out to be false. I tried to calm people in my office as they treated every single social media post as fact.

It isn't "let's wait and see", it is "let's listen to the officials rather than social media".

This sounds like the classic 1-2 punch ISIS likes to use.

Create chaos with first bomb and kill fleeing people with the second

al Qaeda was also quite infamous for this as well.

And from the Manchester Arena tweet, I'm guessing they're talking about it happening between the arena and Victoria Station, probably where you actually access the arena from the station (and vice versa)?

Mindwipe

BBC Five Live is as much News as it is Sport. That radio channel has got three reporters on scene.

To be honest I genuinely forgot that, fair enough, you're right.

(I'm in the US at the moment or I'd probably have turned Five Live on.)

Sorry.

According to the radio, some people are opening up their homes in local areas to help families find their loved ones easier.

I'm so glad regardless of everything that happens, that I live in a country that'll always stay strong.

I'm still worried about it all because Manchester is pretty close to Birmingham and again my girlfriend is too worried to head to town.

Audioboxer

Outside the arena doesn't mean outside the building guys. They've reported foyer for a while now. It's inside the building.

Xando

I don't think ISIS has used an attack on first responders in Europe? I only remember seeing this a lot of times in Iraq and Syria. Even during the France attacks this didn't happen.
They actually tried during the paris stadium bombing but the bomb didn't go off

DAeFQ5VXoAACCFp.jpg

Source; Manchester Arena

https://twitter.com/ManchesterArena...Update_fb830a74-3f4d-11e7-9560-0e4530fa60e2/0

So seemed to have happened between the Arena and the Station. Might have been someone waiting, if it indeed was an attack.

Basically you leave the main entrance to the arena but you are still indoor in a large foyer type area with steps which then go down into the train station. The explosion happened in this foyer. It's about 40-50 foot wide.

This is confusing. Sure it's a big venue but since a bomb killed 20 people, why is the announcer saying there's no problems? Certainly they'd all have just saw that happen. Is the audio fake?

It appears the attack took place in an area technically "outside" the arena, and there's a chance at this stage the people on stage simply heard the bang but didn't know the extent of it.

Basically, it goes Arena / Lobby sort of area / Train station -- the lobby is technically part of neither, but connects the two. It seems like that's where the attack was, at least from accounts.

LQX

Ugh, oh fuck. So many. And they are most likley very young. I just do not get it.

Also, why the fuck do some of you need confirmation that this is a terrorists act? I keep seeing it asked. Making it seem as if these things are out of the ordinary. No it is not. Most of the time when we hear of explosions in a crowd of people it is in fact a damn terrorist attack and that really should be the prevailing thought until it is confirmed not to be terrorist attack. Sure it may not be an attack but our guard should be up until we know otherwise. Not the other way around.

It's likely minutes after the incident, they're not omniscient, they're just trying to get people out without panicking and causing a stampede.

Wes

venison crêpe
@gmpolice 57s57 seconds ago

There will be a controlled explosion in Cathedral gardens shortly if you hearing anything don't be concerned.

BBC and Sky have been getting reports that the explosion happened directly outside, or just outside the arena. If that was the case, how would you know what had, or had not happened, apart from the noise?

Besides, what do you say? Run? There's a bomb? You'd cause a stampede.

Mindwipe

Yeah, I'd expect there to be lots of bags left by the people fleeing, and the police have an impossible job - not sure I'd read this as a second device until the police confirm.

This is terrible :-(

We have integration issues among certain communities in the UK that haven't been properly addressed.

Not in Manchester mate.

Been living near the city for 28 years with many Muslim relatives living inside of the city and many, many people living of all colours living in the main part and the surrounding towns and suburbs. Not many if any of the people I encountered and spoke to had problems with intergration, be it brown black or white.

Hell cheetam hill is melting point of muslims and Jews and they seem to get along fine as far as what I have seen and read.

Tovarisc

CNN went from "explosion of some kind according officials" reporting to suicide bomber reporting sourced through several US officials and one Western official.

Hissing Sid

Agreed, the guy should have been screaming at everyone to run for their lives so we could have a nice stampede.

He was trying to calm ppl to prevent further harm.

Why is there always so much deflection in these threads saying that it's not an attack? Let's just wait and see right? Is it just trying to be positive? If so it's obnoxious.
Wouldn't call it deflection. It's waiting for the facts, you can't just jump to conclusions. Most of us aren't in the know or close enough to the situation. Many of the authorities involved don't event have all the information yet

Kadin

I'm hoping they play it again so I can confirm the actual verbiage but that's just about what he said from what I recall. But like I said in my edit, it's probably to try and keep people calm in the wake of a terrible incident. Or he honestly didn't know.

Auctopus

Most of the time when we hear of explosions in a crowd of people it is in fact a damn terrorist attack and that really should be the prevailing thought until it is confirmed not to be terrorist attack.

You don't understand the flaw in this logic?

Imagine the reaction of a large crowd when you tell them they are in the middle of a terrorist attack. Also, they don't actually know immediately? Just because it's likely doesn't mean they can start lying on TV. It's safer to treat the entire situation as a dangerous incident that needs to be evacuated safely and effciently, rather than a Sky News header reading....

"FUCKING TERRORIST ATTACK"

Top Bottom