• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

God damn. Some of you people on this site need to get a fucking grip. 19 people are known dead, probably including children with 200 more reported injured and your mind goes to Trump. No one cares what he thinks right now. Fuck off.

Sorry but stop this shit.

Agreed.

RIP to the victims. Young girls, fuck's sake man.

We do normally and most of the time, but from what I've heard on live radio from reports of people unharmed have said they didn't really bother to look into bags because most of the attendees were young.

I'm petty sure the security there are going to be in huge fucking trouble.
But the incident happened in the foyer, not in the arena.

We do normally and most of the time, but from what I've heard on live radio from reports of people unharmed have said they didn't really bother to look into bags because most of the attendees were young.

If the explosion happened in the foyer, the perpetrator didn't get into the arena. It was a public space.

Also, when I post new information it's from Free Radio and BBC Radio stations so it's hard to post links about what I'm currently hearing live on my radio.

Anticol

Banned
It is obviously terrorism and we know what kind of terrorism.

Rip to all victims, and hopefully they'll catch the fuckers who targeted a concert full of little girls.

amanset

Ok agreed completely... Does all the pre emptive damage control saying it's likely not terrorism not count as speculation?

I would agree. And there was some of that, but the vast majority kept saying that we should wait for official reports.

Anyway, I just noticed that it is starting to get light outside. I guess I should go to bed ...

Complistic

ooph. It's a pain, but I like to think it at least makes shitty people think twice before trying something like this.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

It sounds like this happened outside the performance area when the concert was ending. The bomber probably wouldn't have been searched there.

I can think of the most secure venues I've been to and this could still happen there because you likely wouldn't just be searched for entering a common area – it happens at the ticketing/gated spots.

Can someone explain how all these US outlets are confirming stuff before the UK?

Our news stations (The good ones) try to confirm news and access the situation before posting or reporting news from small amount of sources.

Most of the time we like to wait for an Official report by the local police force on the scene.

A fucking Arianna grande concert? What kind of evil fucks attack a concert full of kids. Damn this has my blood boiling. I hope justice comes swiftly to those responsible.

Auctopus

Usually yes. Metal detectors too from all the major concerts I've been to. Granted all of those have been in London though.

If the reports are accurate, the person of suspect walked in to the lobby at the end of the show - they wouldn't have been searched/metal detected.

Madness

Can someone explain how all these US outlets are confirming stuff before the UK?

Because UK organizations have always been more controlled than American ones and have far more to lose being wrong. Additionally, aside from BBC, possibly Sky, no one approaches the assets, reach and money that NBC, CBS, CNN and other groups have. Reuters is now going with suicide bomber as well because US officials are being told that by UK counterparts. UK officials probably afraid to share with UK news because maybe not allowed to.

Wes

venison crêpe

UK media outlets wont speculate much on domestic incidents such as this horrific one until they have confirmation from good sources. Strict rules in place in most instances.

They [said US outlets] aren't 'confirming', simply putting up any speculation that comes to them. It's one of the most common problems with post-attacks like these, case and point, those reports of gunmen at a hospital. It isn't doing anyone any good reporting on everything without confirming facts first. Both Beeb and Sky seem to be doing their jobs just fine right now.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Horrible occurrence. Can't help imagining how the event is going to be politicized to advocate for further restrictions of civil liberties and/or discrimination.

RIP to the victims.

That's in poor taste, now is not the time.

At least 19 are dead, probably most young people with their futures ahead of them. Talk about that.

Sky News has some good reporting right now.

Yep, they've been extremely good at sticking to what is fact, and only what is known to be true, and made it clear where things are coming from and avoided re-reporting some of the speculation without confirmation, while being very careful with their phrasing.

My thoughts go out to all of those who were effected in this incident. With the crowd of such a young demographic, it's very unfortunate to hear the number of fatalities and injuries.

Madness

Less rigorous fact-checking standards/using unofficial sources.

Doubtful. They wouldn't report the way they did without IRONCLAD sources. UK news agencies are more regulated and controlled. Plus, for example, local police forces sharing with their higher ups what happened. Those higher ups contacting US officials, intelligence officials and staff and most US agencies have these people as immediate contacts.

The fact checking is rigorous, and the sources are official. They just do not wait until everything is certain because they don't need to. BBC won't confirm until 100% certain.

Edit: again, going off the fact of unofficial sources. There will be a gulf in the truth when it actually comes out. But they aren't some tabloid making things up. They are going by what their official UK/US sources are reporting.

Top Bottom