• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Damn, so suicide bombing being suggested...how do you reason with someone who would rather lose their life than relinquish their ideology?

There's no reasoning and it can't be stopped. It it literally impossible to stop someone mowing down people in the street or getting on a bus/train with a bomb in their bag.

Apocryphon

What fucking good does it do the victims to guess who might be behind this and try to tie it to a religious belief?

Those dead girls and their grieving families are going to do what? Exactly? Pat you on the head for being 'brave' enough to 'say what everyone is thinking'?

Fuck off.

Don't engage. You are better than that.

Yoda

I've been concerned with cities like Manchester being a target like this for some time now. Outside of London, cities like this are both flourishing examples of culture, commerce and education. Again, praise to the response from emergency services, but their will certainly be some serious reform to how Manchester, and it's neighbouring cities handles security at large venues like the Arena, starting with the football stadiums.

Most likely citizens of the UK will lose more civil liberties. It's sad that these monsters can steal peoples lives and chip away @ the freedoms of those who survived.

i-Lo

Of all the places deliberately targeting teens and under. FFS. Hopefully, those who aren't dead and were part of the planning are caught and swiftly as possible. A line that should have never been crossed was violated tonight.

That's in poor taste, now is not the time.

At least 19 are dead, probably most young people with their futures ahead of them. Talk about that.

Logically looking ahead is not in poor taste. Because of the age demographic that the terrorist targeted, the ramification will be most likely far reaching having both intended and unintended consequences.

I've been concerned with cities like Manchester being a target like this for some time now. Outside of London, cities like this are both flourishing examples of culture, commerce and education. Again, praise to the response from emergency services, but their will certainly be some serious reform to how Manchester, and it's neighbouring cities handles security at large venues like the Arena, starting with the football stadiums.

I'm about 40 minutes from Manchester and go to the Trafford centre every few weeks, there's always rumours of a threat there and this sort of thing makes me nervous.

Then again any football game, concert or event could be targeted as well :(

Bladenic

Oh so now we're at that stage, speculating on whether it is Islam extremists or not.

Can we have a minute before that shit show?

Lmao my step dad is watching Fox News and that's exactly what they're saying and he's muttering stupid shit like "it wasn't no Christian I'll tell you that much"

Ugh

Majukun

does it really matter if it is terrorism or what kind of terrorism it is?
i mean,people will stay dead, and whatever is the source of the act nothing will really change.

Done reading this thread until tomorrow, as it seems detective GAF is certain that this was the actions of Radical Islamic Terrorism with little evidence to support this theory as of yet.

Regardless of whether it was or was not, I don't think making assumptions is very helpful right now.

Fuck man, I don't think I'll ever forget tonight. Me and my housemate were watching BBC's 24/7 News Channel when the story started breaking, we were even laughing at how much time they were giving to, what at the time, seemed like a relatively insignificant incident. Ribbing on the guy who'd had to come on air at 11pm to talk about an Ariana Grande concert etc,. But then they had the guy on who said he'd been blown through some doors by an explosion and we both looked at each other like 'fuck'. That's the thing with rolling news coverage. What starts out as a pretty tame story about a malfunctioning speaker/burst balloon becomes 19 people dead and 50 injured in the blink of an eye.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
What fucking good does it do the victims to guess who might be behind this and try to tie it to a religious belief?

Those dead girls and their grieving families are going to do what? Exactly? Pat you on the head for being 'brave' enough to 'say what everyone is thinking'?

Fuck off.

No, you need to fuck off with your politicising of this tragedy and worrying if x group will be affected.

If people are going to speculate given American media reports, they can. Their reaction is no more needed than yours, so piss off.

TTOOLL

Damn, so suicide bombing being suggested...how do you reason with someone who would rather lose their life than relinquish their ideology?

Just impossible, these people need to be annihilated before they do any more harm to innocent people who just want to live their lives without trying to impose anything to others.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
The only people with news are the police/authorities. It's too fresh for anything else.

The rest is hearsay on social media or eye witness accounts which are routinely unreliable/inaccurate (understandably so)

Following news outlets now is the same as following police Twitter/announcements with added filler.

Yoda

does it really matter if it is terrorism or what kind of terrorism it is?
i mean,people will stay dead, and whatever is the source of the act nothing will really change.

It does because it's worth stopping? No one wants to get the news that their child was blown away by someone who drank too much ideological/religious/<insert "greater purpose" bullshit here> kool aid. I think saying "people aren't born evil" is a sound claim, and a society has to be honest with itself about what is driving people to this level of insanity.

Madness

Can we sort of keep it official please. Officials reporting some kind of device, controlled explosion of second device turning out be false, 19 dead, primarily girls/teens and their parents, dozens in hospital with metal and shrapnel related wounds, officials saying possible device blast, nail bomb/suicide bombing as concertgoers exiting Manchester Arena heading to Victoria station. Beyond that, no religious motivations, nothing any officials have said. So keep that out of thread. But almost certain it is an attack.

NewDust

That's what multiple senior law enforcement officials said.

That's exactly the problem. The only thing this says is 'Some law enforcers say...' based on spur of the moment impressions. Or they bring stuff like 'Confirmed indecent may have been been bombing' , where again they confirm there is speculation. But most people read it as fact.

Even if it comes from officials, it best not to run things until there has been some official statement. As the general public, being right first, in live events brings you nothing.

I'm about 40 minutes from Manchester and go to the Trafford centre every few weeks, there's always rumours of a threat there and this sort of thing makes me nervous.

Then again any football game, concert or event could be targeted as well :(

Agreed, especially as far as the Trafford centre is concerned. I worked there over Christmas a couple of years ago, and a huge takeaway was how, with no matter to how well security cold be honed without imposing on civil liberties, that that location was so easily exploitable to do damage like this.

I'm in Liverpool, and as a whole lot of our events are open-air within the city centre, I can see this having a phenomenal knock-on effect to how they are going to be staffed and ran.

MSNBC saying the suicide bomber theory is coming from the UK investigators, said to American sources which are being used as sources in the US news reports.

Don't engage. You are better than that.

This is a city I lived in. The arena is the first place I saw a concert. I saw many more. With friends and family. The people of that city are my favorite thing about it. They are diverse and vibrant and strong and brilliant, no matter their religious belief, gender, race or sexual orientation.

The people trying to label the people behind this in a very particular way, are going to try and use the victims to shut up anyone who won't stand for that?

If you think it's beneath me not to stand for that, and not be angry right now, at people all too eager to stoke the very same hatred that the terrorist groups they presume are behind this are all to eager to hire... you don't know me.

Nineteen people just died in the city I love. And I'm supposed to stand by and let people use that, intentionally or not, to spread hate and discontent? In a city who's very character is in part defined by it's diversity and acceptance?

No.

Can we sort of keep it official please. Officials reporting some kind of device, controlled explosion of second device turning out be false, 19 dead, primarily girls/teens and their parents, dozens in hospital with metal and shrapnel related wounds, officials saying possible device blast, nail bomb/suicide bombing as concertgoers exiting Manchester Arena heading to Victoria station. Beyond that, no religious motivations, nothing any officials have said. So keep that out of thread. But almost certain it is an attack.
Thanks for the re cap. Such a horrible situation, utterly disgusting. RIP to the victims.

Agreed, especially as far as the Trafford centre is concerned. I worked there over Christmas a couple of years ago, and a huge takeaway was how, with no matter to how well security cold be honed without imposing on civil liberties, that that location was so easily exploitable to do damage like this.

I'm in Liverpool, and as a whole lot of our events are open-air within the city centre, I can see this having a phenomenal knock-on effect to how they are going to be staffed and ran.

I want to say the Trafford Centre is used by authorities for training for incidents exactly like this.

Oh so now we're at that stage, speculating on whether it is Islam extremists or not.

Can we have a minute before that shit show?

There was page after page of "it's just a helium balloon" speculation despite that not being how a. Helium, b.Balloons or c.Physics in general, works.

Speculation that's it's Islamic terrorism is at least routed in precedent and fits in with the known facts at hand.

When you try to push it away, then you look like you have an agenda.

Majukun

It does because it's worth stopping? No one wants to get the news that their child was blown away by someone who drank too much ideological/religious/<insert "greater purpose" bullshit here> kool aid. I think saying "people aren't born evil" is a sound claim, and a society has to be honest with itself about what is driving people to this level of insanity.

we already know what is bringing people to do that,and the right people are already fighting against that

Izuna

Banned
I need the strength to just open a couple school pdfs and just stay up without keeping updated on this...

RIP to all victims, can't be said enough. I cant believe this is happening.

MIMIC

Banned
BBC and Sky both now questioning how US outlets are reporting stuff way before them and seemingly having info they don't (or can't report yet).

This is awful enough without the media reporting about the media...

Well I definitely found this "news within the news" pretty fascinating.

Top Bottom