• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Poor people. RIP.

Every time an incident happens there are some people that are almost happy with them being validated in their believes like it's a fucking contest or something. It's just adding to the sadness of everything.

Azzanadra

Oh my god, Rest in Piece to the victims. This is so fucking terrible, and I my heart instantly sank when I saw a shared post on Facebook regarding this tragedy.

I actually had a dream last night that I was still in London and I was in the middle of a terrorist attack, so that's kind of freaky.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It would be relatively "easy" to determine that the attack was a suicide bomber for obvious reasons.

There are CCTVs every where. If it was a suicide bomber I'm thinking it would've been caught by one of them.

Auctopus

Reddit Live Thread just posted an Instagram video of the main lobby whilst it was being evacuated, very bizarre.

Lots of people running down the stairs and screaming but people at the bottom of the stairs, just kind of standing there.

Edit: just thought it was probably parents waiting to see their child :/

THE:MILKMAN

MSNBC saying the suicide bomber theory is coming from the UK investigators, said to American sources which are being used as sources in the US news reports.

It does seem like the UK authorities are sharing with the US who in turn are sharing with your media. The UK side aren't sharing as much/as quick with the UK media who are being really careful about double sourcing and only reporting official Police info.

UK media don't like this and are reporting about it now.

Metal detectors / body searches going to be a standard now at stadiums and mass public events.

It wouldn't have helped based on what we know. The only solution would be more exits. Any time an event like this gets out, you're going to have dense groups of people outside the arena.

damisa

There was page after page of "it's just a helium balloon" speculation despite that not being how a. Helium, b.Balloons or c.Physics in general, works.

Speculation that's it's Islamic terrorism is at least routed in precedent and fits in with the known facts at hand.

When you try to push it away, then you look like you have an agenda.

Basically this. It's not like the victims and their families rushed to read an internet gaming forum as soon as the explosion happened.

Budi

No use in rushing to stick the word 'Muslim' onto this horrendous act.

Because that won't do any fucking good to anyone.

Yah, it very well could be but you are absolutely right. We had a nailbomb in Finland in 2002 that killed 7 (including the bomber) people and injured 164. It had nothing to do with religious extremism, it was a 19 year old local loner kid.

Reddit Live Thread just posted an Instagram video of the main lobby whilst it was being evacuated, very bizarre.

Lots of people running down the stairs and screaming but people at the bottom of the stairs, just kind of standing there.

Edit: just thought it was probably parents waiting to see their child :/
The problem is it's not a lobby in a conventional sense, the area is basically an open public space just with a roof, but no doors, and inside is the arena and the train station platforms, and a McDonald's etc. So anyone can just walk through one entrance to another, so I expect some people at the bottom of the stairs had nothing much to do with the concert

Scoops

Banned
There was page after page of "it's just a helium balloon" speculation despite that not being how a. Helium, b.Balloons or c.Physics in general, works.

Speculation that's it's Islamic terrorism is at least routed in precedent and fits in with the known facts at hand.

Agreed.

Playing dumb/being in denial is just as bad as rushing to conclusions.

Did I post any of that shit?

No. No I didn't. Heck I posted in here confirming that people I know in Oldham reported that the stories of an active shooter at the hospital were bullshit.

So what's my agenda?

My parents live 20 mins for where that happened. I have no reason to believe they'd be anywhere near there at 65 years old, but no answers to texts and phone calls leaves me a little worried.

I'm just gonna assume she has her phone muted and she's fast asleep.

Did I post any of that shit?

No. No I didn't. Heck I posted in here confirming that people I know in Oldham reported that the stories of an active shooter at the hospital were bullshit.

So what's my agenda?

It's a crowded thread, I'm calling out the ebbs and flows not people by name.

I've no idea what you personally said.

My parents live 20 mins for where that happened. I have no reason to believe they'd be anywhere near there at 65 years old, but no answers to texts and phone calls leaves me a little worried.

That is most likely the case. I hope you hear from them soon and all is well.

Sanjay

It wouldn't have helped based on what we know. The only solution would be more exits. Any time an event like this gets out, you're going to have dense groups of people outside the arena.

Really? Would a backpack with a bomb not get triggered with metal detectors. Most bombs I thought would.

RAWRferal

100% what is happening. Don't worry yourself :)

It's quarter past 2, so I'm of a mind that she is safe and asleep.

smurfx

get some go again
That was an hour ago it was just discarded clothing
all these secondary reports after an attack almost always end up being nothing. anyways i didn't expect the death toll to be so high. RIP to the victims and i hope they get all involved before they manage to leave the country.

Top Bottom