• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Tovarisc

DAeUcpcXoAAJt5Q.jpg

https://twitter.com/GlobalsNewsroom/status/866824961419341824/photo/1

Wes

venison crêpe
BBC Radio Five Live:

Correspondent has spoken to people who say that police are searching a number of local hotel rooms.

Also, cordon is likely to stay in place (no cars allowed to go in/out) until this afternoon (12 hours from now) at earliest.

Really? Would a backpack with a bomb not get triggered with metal detectors. Most bombs I thought would.

It didn't happen in the arena it happened in Victoria station where one of the entrances to the arena is, as well as Go Karting and fast food stalls. There are no metal detectors anyway, well there weren't the last time I went but if there were it wouldn't have mattered.

Arooguy

Rest in peace to the victims--truly tragic. My thoughts go out to the loved ones of those involved. Hopefully there are some answers soon. Stay safe out there.

What???? How could there not be security????

By 'that area' it wasn't the arena itself, it was still considered public space. I can imagine there were stewards nearby, but clearly the bomber didn't go to the point where security was more organised for the event.

Mindwipe

What???? How could there not be security????

The explosion appears to have happened just outside the security line at the entrance.

I've been afraid for a while that terrorists would figure out that security lines are massive queues of people with no screening yet, and therefore are very vulnerable :-(

Hex

Banned
If the reports are accurate, the person of suspect walked in to the lobby at the end of the show - they wouldn't have been searched/metal detected.

Wouldn't matter to be honest.
You can make a suicide bomb with PVC pipe and marbles or ceramic bearings.
The wiring would not set anything off. Wiring could be a phone charger.

wandering

Banned
Trying (and failing) to brush away the fact that this fits a pattern everyone has seen elsewhere in Europe of extremist attacks.

This is a waste of time, but it's unfortunate that you can't let it go.

Fucking hell.

There is a wave of Islamist extremist terror in Europe since 2014. No one is disputing that.

A person literally said "we know what kind of terrorism this is", and when that was questioned, others jumped in immediately to attach Islam to this tragedy.

A bunch of other people criticized this as unhelpful speculation.

Now you are hopping up and down to politicize this event while having the gall to have said this:

How about you think about the victims rather than worrying about whether someone will paint a larger group with the same brush as the extremist(s) involved?

Shouldn't be this hard...

Stop it.

Sanjay

Oh I had no idea the explosion happened outside. Like outside the stadium? All the headlines mention happening at the Manchester Arena so I thought it would be inside. Yeah it happened outside wouldn't have made no difference if they even had metal detectors.

Also that does fit the scanairo of a suicide bomber, wait for the mass exit with people all leaving and then to blow him self up for maximum damage.

KAP151

After going to the football over the weekend here in australia, the "security" doing bag checks and wanding showed just how vulnerable these events can be.

Horrible. So many young kids as well.

Trying (and failing) to brush away the fact that this fits a pattern everyone has seen elsewhere in Europe of extremists.
I'm sure you enjoy pissing people like me off every time you insist on tying extremism to religion.

Just call ISIL ISIL. Just call Al Qaeda Al Qaeda. You can do it I'm sure.

When Manchester was bombed in 1996, no one called the IRA catholic extremists. We called them the IRA. Because that's what they were called and because tying it to their religion wouldn't have solved anything, or done any good to the many Catholics living in Manchester, like those worshipping at St Mary's hidden gem just down the street from the explosion.

Oh I had no idea the explosion happened outside. Like outside the stadium? All the headlines mention happening at the Manchester Arena so I thought it would be inside. Yeah it happened outside wouldn't have made no difference if they even had metal detectors.

Also that does fit the scanairo of a suicide bomber, wait for the mass exit with people all leaving and then to blow him self up for maximum damage.

It was inside the foyer, but outside the arena. So, outside where security checks are done.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I'm sure you enjoy pissing people like me off every time you insist on tying extremism to religion.

Just call ISIL ISIL. Just call Al Qaeda Al Qaeda. You can do it I'm sure.

When Manchester was bombed in 1996, no one called the IRA catholic extremists. We called them the IRA. Because that's what they were called and because tying it to their religion wouldn't have solved anything, or done any good to the many Catholics living in Manchester, like those worshipping at St Mary's hidden gem just down the street from the explosion.

ISIL stands for Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant. Kinda impossible to unlink the two.

Madness

Really? Would a backpack with a bomb not get triggered with metal detectors. Most bombs I thought would.

Happened outside the arena, in the exit area between the arena and victoria station, foyer. Seems like attacker knew to wait till concert over to target exitgoers.

It does seem like the UK authorities are sharing with the US who in turn are sharing with your media. The UK side aren't sharing as much/as quick with the UK media who are being really careful about double sourcing and only reporting official Police info.

UK media don't like this and are reporting about it now.

Well UK authorities have to share with US officials/authorities who are probably trying to update everyone back home. The disconnect seem to be with UK ground officials aka UK cops and UK officials who are not necessarily sharing with UK media on the ground, and UK media have to be more sure of what they are reporting.

Violet_0

Banned
every single thread after an apparent attack will descend into the same "but is the perpetrator a muslim?" discussion without fail. There's seemingly no time to lose to start looking for a culprit before we know the facts. And now a bunch of people here feel validated after the suicide bomber confirmation - uh, nicely done? Are you that eager to derail the thread and fill it with meaningless speculation?

Wouldn't matter to be honest.
You can make a suicide bomb with PVC pipe and marbles or ceramic bearings.
The wiring would not set anything off. Wiring could be a phone charger.

Which highlights the darkest problem with security against this, I have no idea how you could efficiently prevent it any more than a lot of venues and places do. If reform is needed, it would be more public vigilance (again, not so effective here as it was an area at night, not a lot of public I'd imagine, and most who were there were inside the arena), and greater escape measures for people and staff. Beeb was speculating that a number of injuries may have been caused by mass crushing by fleeing crowds.

After going to the football over the weekend here in australia, the "security" doing bag checks and wanding showed just how vulnerable these events can be.

Horrible. So many young kids as well.
Yep. Anytime I've been to a sports event lately or to a concert or show the bag check has not been what I would describe as robust. For obvious reasons, you can't check every bag inside out.

Suspect we are going to head closer to the NFL model where you're just not allowed to have a bag.

Of course - wouldn't have mattered either way in this situation from the sounds of things.

see5harp

As a frequent concert/festival goer this shit scares and sickens me. RIP to the victims. Burn in hell for eternity murdering idiot.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
For some context the arena entrance is accessed via a train station which is obviously public space.

Once you get in the arena there's some security to get in but the explosion is outside that space where crowds are gathering.

That's why video of the actual auditorium seems fine, no debris etc.

Champagne

Banned
Yep. Anytime I've been to a sports event lately or to a concert or show the bag check has not been what I would describe as robust. For obvious reasons, you can't check every bag inside out.

Suspect we are going to head closer to the NFL model where you're just not allowed to have a bag.

Of course - wouldn't have mattered either way in this situation from the sounds of things.
I'm 100% for this, never understood what you might need a bag for anyway in these kinds of events.

Harmen

The explosion appears to have happened just outside the security line at the entrance.

I've been afraid for a while that terrorists would figure out that security lines are massive queues of people with no screening yet, and therefore are very vulnerable :-(

Yeah... this is terrifying.. Every large event I have been to has some public area's nearby with massive crowds consisting of either people going to or leaving the event. Even if you broaden and tighten security around the venue, for events with tens of thousands of people there will be chocking points with relatively large crowds in public area's still.

Crazy that I'm sitting here less than a mile from the attack getting news of what actually happened from American news outlets thousands of miles away. I guess Sky News are being careful not to report things until they've been triple checked.

RIP to the dead and best wishes to the injured. It's going to be difficult to sleep tonight.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
every single thread after an apparent attack will descend into the same "but is the perpetrator a muslim?" discussion without fail. There's seemingly no time to lose to start looking for a culprit before we know the facts. And now a bunch of people here feel validated after the suicide bomber confirmation - uh, nicely done? Are you that eager to derail the thread and fill it with meaningless speculation?

90% of the thread is meaningless speculation. 10% are reported facts being presented. The 10% of facts, line up with common recent history. It's okay to speculate. I believe. When I speculate, I am in no way vilifying Islam as a whole. Only extremists, which most Muslims hate just as much as me.

Do you know anything about the history of the troubles in Ireland and how the IRA came to be?

Nope, nor is that relevant to my point. You say, "Call ISIL ISIL." which is extremely similar to saying "Islamic extremists" considering ISIL includes the word "Islamic."

Here in Orlando we only allow clear bags in the building for concerts or sporting events.

MacAttack

People were just as adamant in theorizing that it was a balloon.

Madness

Probably means whoever did it knew what they were doing, had professional knowledge or help.

This is almost a certainty at this point. US intelligence officials are reporting with hgih confidence this was a male, possible suicide bomber. UK officials probably sharing the CCTV footage with them as we speak. And probably won't share video until perpetrator shown on camera to make sure victims/gruesome isn't shown.

They had help because they knew to wait until concert was over, where they perhaps wouldn't have been searched.

ColdPizza

Banned
Probably means whoever did it knew what they were doing, had professional knowledge or help.

I always hate when they say this. Any idiot can walk into a crowd of unsuspecting people and detonate a bomb. Besides the bomb making it's not like any meaningful logistics went into this.

Top Bottom