• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Hex

Banned
You don't think Radical Islamic terrorism hurts Muslims more than anyone else?

I think the term radical makes it seem like they are out in the desert skating vert with Steve Cab and Corey O'Brian.
I do not think it has the menace that it is perceived to have.

I'm sorry if I'm being especially harsh tonight. Seeing my favorite city (and a place that still feels like home) attacked. Having to log onto Facebook to make sure friends weren't at the concert (and thank fuck they weren't). Seeing casualties confirmed. I've not got much patience right now.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I think the term radical makes it seem like they are out in the desert skating vert with Steve Cab and Corey O'Brian.

That's a personal problem tbh. The definition of radical is used aptly in this case.

I'm sorry if I'm being especially harsh tonight. Seeing my favorite city (and a place that still feels like home) attacked. Having to log onto Facebook to make sure friends weren't at the concert (and thank fuck they weren't). Seeing casualties confirmed. I've not got much patience right now.

Completely understandable. I think you're fine.

Got to remember that the MEN arena (older name) is one of busiest in the world. People come from all over the UK and beyond. I'm sure they were Mancunians there but everyone interviewed so far have been from Bristol, Middlesbrough, Leeds and so on. The impact of terrorism goes beyond a resolute Manchester.

It's pretty tragic that Twitter is already being misused here when you have plenty of real attempts to reach out to loved ones affected here over it. Like, a situation where it is so useful to get children and friends back together right now after the attack, and then you see posts like that one.

Ashes

Banned

Why do you want to empower terrorists with more pronounced language?

Better to let the mundanity of evil seep through.

These are child murderers who killed innocent children coming out of a concert.

That's a personal problem tbh. The definition of radical is used aptly in this case.

You acknowledge that Muslims are the targets of these groups, and I respect that. But do those Muslims, who have to fear this shit at least as much as anyone else, prefer that labelling?

I think you know the answer.

And again, when someone demonstrates to me the *good* that rushing to use such terminology in a time like this does to offset the very apparent *harm* it causes... then I'm prepared to let it go if said good outweighs said harm.

But the argument always seems to be 'how do we deradicalise these groups if we won't acknowledge the religious element' as if the people throwing that terminology around at this moment are going to do anything to *deradicalise* these groups.

Jag

So freaking sad. RIP to the victims.

NBC is now reporting that they have an ID on the bomber. No names yet.

But the argument always seems to be 'how do we deradicalise these groups if we won't acknowledge the religious element' as if the people throwing that terminology around at this moment are going to do anything to *deradicalise* these groups.

Only Muslims can help deradicalize their religion. Too many people think murder is justified in defending Islam.

SenkiDala

You don't think Radical Islamic terrorism hurts Muslims more than anyone else?

I agree about the fact that muslims suffer a lot from the actions of those shitty extremists. I wouldn't say "more than anyone else" though, I think that the 19 persons who died tonight from this attack, had a "nice amount" of suffering, as well as their families.

Zutroy

Was watching this develop at the end of my shift. Thoughts go out to the victims and families.

As shit as it is I guess this is just something that's going to continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

No amount of security at venues is going to stop someone getting close enough to cause mass deaths. Government intel - although clearly helpful and probably our best tool at the moment - will continue to intrude into our privacy, but fuck giving up our civil liberties because it means they win and again, will only help to a small extent.

Our best bet to stop it is to tackle Islamic extremism, but how you even begin to tackle that issue with all the problems in the Middle East - there's no solution in sight.

I'm confused. Did the explosion not happen inside of the arena?

Technically not. It happened in an enclosed area between the train station and the arena itself, in an area that is 100% public access. As people were streaming out and this area became crowded, the device was detonated.

Generate

Banned
It's pretty tragic that Twitter is already being misused here when you have plenty of real attempts to reach out to loved ones affected here over it. Like, a situation where it is so useful to get children and friends back together right now after the attack, and then you see posts like that one.

Somebody even posted a pic of a certain famous youtube Eagles fan. Its fucked up.

Ray Wonder

I agree about the fact that muslims suffer a lot from the actions of those shitty extremists. I wouldn't say "more than anyone else" though, I think that the 19 persons who died tonight from this attack, had a "nice amount" of suffering, as well as their families.

Radical Islamic terrorism occurs in Muslim countries more than anywhere else. I'm not trying to downplay the deaths that occurred in this tragedy.

DrSlek

I'm confused. Did the explosion not happen inside of the arena?

Guess i don't understand the layout.

It did not. Menchester Police Twitter reported the explosion happened in a public area just outside of the venue.

Perhaps this info should be added to the OP.

ISIL kill more Muslims than they kill Europeans. By far.

No one is suggesting that any of those dead (or those who were 'lucky' enough to survive their injuries') had a 'nice amount' of suffering.

Mask

My sister could have been at this. And all those kids there.. the people who did this are scum, pure and simple.

I'd like nothing more than to see them strung up and left to bleed out for days on end, fucking assholes.

daejhn0xkamnyjwecazs.jpg

From Twitter. Presumably a summary of the press conference.

Only Muslims can help deradicalize their religion. Too many people think murder is justified in defending Islam.

Will calling the terrorist acts of ISIL the work of 'Radical Islam' or 'Islamic Extremists' encourage Muslims to deradicalise the tiny minority of people in the religion who commit such heinous acts?

Your post reads like you are suggesting the entire religion is radical. This sort of language doesn't help anything, is what I'm trying to get across.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It did not. Menchester Police Twitter reported the explosion happened in a public area just outside of the venue.

Perhaps this info should be added to the OP.

No, it happened at one of the exits it appears, just outside as people were leaving.

I think it was inside the building just not in the actual arena area. Could be wrong though.

Technically not. It happened in an enclosed area between the train station and the arena itself, in an area that is 100% public access. As people were streaming out and this area became crowded, the device was detonated.

Happened outside the arena they are saying.

Ah ok. Earlier accounts seemed to imply it happened inside of the arena where the concert was occurring. Must have been some confusion due to the panic etc.

Fuck man. Nothing but teenage girls at a concert like that. Fuckin savages.

It somehow makes it worse doesn't it? If this was just rush hour at an airport, at least it would be random.

Specifically targeting the sort of audience that goes to a concert like this... no cause justifies that.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Ah ok. Earlier accounts seemed to imply it happened inside of the arena where the concert was occurring. Must have been some confusion due to the panic etc.

Yeah thats what tends to happen. Their were even reports of shootings which was false as well. Seems like a good portion of the injuries were because people got trampled.

Sadly misinformation is the name of the game early on in tragedies like this.

Well, I don't think it was intentional misinformation there. People still exiting the venue heard explosions and screaming and chaos. But that's why the only thing I've got open is the Greater Manchester Police's twitter page.

Yeah thats what tends to happen. Their were even reports of shootings which was false as well. Seems like a good portion of the injuries were because people got trampled.

This is in no way shape or form confirmed.

Beeb reporting on the growing tweets and messages of thanks to the emergency services there, particularly to the fire fighter crew still working with police on the scene.

shandy706

Fuck man. Nothing but teenage girls at a concert like that. Fuckin savages.

Probably a lot of kids hurt and killed here. Sickening.

I'm pretty sure I could be on a firing squad if you lined up every bastard terrorist on this planet and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep after taking every single one of them out. Might even sleep better.

Infuriating.....and never ending.

Beeb reporting on the growing tweets and messages of thanks to the emergency services there, particularly to the fire fighter crew still working with police on the scene.

I don't doubt that the emergency services and the people of Manchester are going to make me proud with the way they respond to this atrocity enacted upon them.

People sayimg it's misinformation ir where the explosiom happened aren't aware of the layout of the MEN arena.

It's an extremely open space witb one side of tbe Arena being a train/tram stop too. Splitting hairs over whether it was inside or not seems trivial.

Madness

So freaking sad. RIP to the victims.

NBC is now reporting that they have an ID on the bomber. No names yet.

UK authorities probably won't release CCTV footage or shared ID until they have tactical police raid houses, relatives and friends houses to gather information and intel. Was he a lone wolf actor, linked to a cell, etc. Maybe the parents don't know if it was their son, police will quickly raid the home to seize phones and computers and correspondence.

Saying that UK authorities say was a backpack/nail bomb which was loud enough to be heard long distance away, felt in arena and heard which then caused stampede as some trampled etc. Upto 59 admitted to local hospitals, 19 confirmed dead.

Hopefully those responsible for this are caught and killed in a brutal fashion.

I bet they killed mostly teen and tween girls just trying to have a good time seeing their favorite singer.

Fuck these scum, and may they die a horrible, painful death.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
If if this is a attack..I am trying to be nice... I just wish religion was non existent in this day and age...
I don't get this sentiment.

All the secularism in the world wouldn't stop hateful people functioning on their broken personal ideologies from pulling shit like this.

Ray Wonder

Wasn't it exactly the term "Radical islam" that people were getting after Trump for

Yeah, I disagreed with the criticism of the label. Radical Islamic terrorism is an international threat that harms Muslims more than anyone else, in many ways. It deserves to be on a pedestal of criticism and disapproval; As long as you can separate Muslims from Radical Islamists.

However, the far right's disgusting fetish of including all Muslims in that category, I do not agree with.

Jag

Saying that UK authorities say was a backpack/nail bomb which was loud enough to be heard long distance away, felt in arena and heard which then caused stampede as some trampled etc. Upto 59 admitted to local hospitals, 19 confirmed dead.

Goddam, nail bombs are intended to cause just horrific injuries. Whoever did this wanted to inflict maximum pain and suffering on those poor kids.

Top Bottom