• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

CNN getting to the important details

Under headline
1) Police say suicide bomber a possibility
2) Publicist: Arianna is OK

Oh, well thank god the celebrity is ok.

Under headline

This is just the usual thing where any country always talks about the people that share their nationality above the other victims.

It's embarrassing, but it's not completely surprising. A famous American was there. Obviously Americans are going to want to know she is okay.

Cartman86

Banned
Wasn't it exactly the term "Radical islam" that people were getting after Trump for

It's been a pretty common phrase among the right and anti-religion folks for a while. It doesn't bother me to hear it coming from certain people, but I think we are all pretty good at judging the difference between when Trump type/Sharia law is taking over America person uses it compared to say a former Muslim activist fighting oppression in a theocratic state. A lot of progressives wouldn't agree with me here as it puts me in line with increasing ass holes like Sam Harris. I'm aware of that.

Under headline

I didn't see CNN's report so I can't say whether that second point was overly emphasised with her being a celebrity and all, but regardless as many people being safe, from fans, security and Arianna is good news.

MacAttack

People sayimg it's misinformation ir where the explosiom happened aren't aware of the layout of the MEN arena.

It's an extremely open space witb one side of tbe Arena being a train/tram stop too. Splitting hairs over whether it was inside or not seems trivial.
The issue of it being inside of the venue or not is that it was outside of any security checkpoint for the concert.

Downhome

I wonder if this monster was intentionally targeting young girls or if they would have done this, tonight, no matter what the event was at the building. Disgusting either way, but that thought did cross my mind. I can't express my thoughts and feelings to those affected by this enough. Stay safe everyone.

Auctopus

I appreciate our police force/intelligence units and anti-terror teams but we're gonna get reports all day tomorrow of raids across the country that should've been done months ago.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
None of this makes sense. :-/

You're saying that making a big deal that a celebrity is alive and OK is a problematic focus for the media.. When everyone who was a victim of this tragedy was a fan, and was going to see her perform.

It's an extremely important point to make. People would like to know that. Especially the people who were big enough fans to go see her.

None of this makes sense. :-/

Is it weird that I wanted to make sure my friends that regularly go to pop concerts at the Manchester Arena were safe too? I mean, I hope everyone was safe... but the effect that would have occurred if Ariana was included amongst the dead...

Yeah, it doesn't really bode thinking about it. I'm glad she and everyone else who survived unscathed, survived. I hope the injured will be able to heal or live with their injuries. I hope the families of the dead can someday achieve peace with the horrors that happened today.

That doesn't undo the pain I feel for those who died.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Blame opportunist gangsters and their ghoulish marketing efforts. Terror is not ISIS's end goal, it's a recruitment strategy. Religion is not ISIS's reason for existing, it's a useful PR narrative.

People still think this?

The issue of it being inside of the venue or not is that it was outside of any security checkpoint for the concert.
The security is really weak there, literally random bag scans. That and the open nature of the stadium (due to it veing a station also)makes it an easy target unfortunately.

Again, for those not familiar with the layout ehat is considered 'outside' the stadium is probably different for anyone with knowledge of the layout.

BBC News channel reporting on taxi firms from around North West are setting up to help move any stranded people away from the area for free. Keep up the solidarity, all.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
This poor woman on the line with CNN with a daughter missing is ripping me up.
Even more crushing is that with the time that's passed, then there's a big chance that we already know what the result is.

As always though, I'd love to be wrong.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Under headline

I don't really see anything wrong with this. They're not suggesting that her life is more important than anyone else's – they're just catering to the likelihood that when most people hear this news, they're probably going to wonder if the performer was involved.

I don't see how the mentioning of Ariana is an issue. The event was centered around her and her name is tied to all the headlines of this story. The thought of her safety probably crossed the vast majority of people's minds at some point when they heard this story. Yeah, of course they're going to mention whether or not she was affected by the incident.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated

Under headline

Like it or not, that's news to her fans. They also put up a photo of a girl that's missing and allowed her mother to speak on air. There's real human moments between the usual cable news-ness.

Best not to pay note to american new coverage on this.

I saw tweets of suicide bombing while manchester met were still saying they're unsure of what happened.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
If if this is a attack..I am trying to be nice... I just wish religion was non existent in this day and age...

if it wasnt linked to religion it would be linked to something else. People like this don;t care who they hurt how many they hurt etc they put on false justifications and claim its part of their belief and religion. Even if there was no religion in the world that would not stop people like this, they would find something else to latch onto and tarnish the good name of many good people in the hopes to hurt, mame and kill. Disgusting people like this give something a meaning no matter how fucked up it is and hope people will stand with them.

I say let's not jump to conclusion over whether this is ISIS or even terror related. Unless there's new info that I missed.

It's being treated as a terror attack. Many sources reporting that it's a suicide bomber.

That isn't still confirmation, but if the police are openly treating it as a terrorist attack I think we can presume for now that it is one.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I say let's not jump to conclusion over whether this is ISIS or even terror related. Unless there's new info that I missed.

Well all major outlets have classified it as assumed terror attack.. Considering it was supposedly a suicide bombing, with a nail bomb as the weapon.

Arttemis

Hannity was just trying as hard as he could to relate this needing to support to Trump's agenda. Nothing but gloom and doom, bad police work, cries for hysteria, and general negativity.

Top Bottom