• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

JimiNutz

Banned
One thing I really want to see today is the UK Muslims standing up and saying that they won't tolerate this shit anymore.

The scumbags are damaging the reputation of their religion in the Western World and if I was a Muslim I would be so fucking angry that these idiots are carrying out this shit in the name of Islam. There are so many peaceful, happy and productive Muslims in the UK. Stand up together and say that you won't fucking tolerate this shit anymore. Peaceful Muslims should be the people most angered by this I feel?

Just take care that whatever "new methods" you advocate aren't the same ones the terrorists were hoping to provoke by their action in the first place.

No I mean. Look at that fluffed Yemen raid. It killed what, 30 civilians? So that's how many new terrorists from that?

And that's just the shit we hear about.

We've spent so much $$$ and life over there at some point we could of just bribed each and every individual, for the amount of money we've wasted getting absolutely no where.

We could of rebuilt the middle east twice over by now.

Trokil

Banned
Would IS exist without the US and UK entering Iraq?

You can't just dismiss the consequences of an action because you've decided they aren't a factor any more.

Would the IS exist if the US would have stayed in Iraq? We just don't know. The French never were in Iraq, still they got attacked, because somebody drew a comic. And what about Belgium.

faridmon

Slightly game-related aside to this awful event- Tom Philips from Eurogamer tweeted last night about how awful it was, and the only reply to his tweet was by this guy implying that if it was a terrorist attack, there would be some sort of white uprising against muslims and immigrants etc.

I look at this guy's profile and he's a full on racist, retweeting English Defence League, whit power stuff etc, so I reply to him and call him out for hijacking a terrible event for far right political gain. Anyway, a few minutes later I try to find Tom Philip's original tweet and... he's blocked me. Like, a journalist from Eurogamer blocked me because I confronted someone else for being racist. If he was annoyed by the tweet notifications, he could have just muted me- the blocking implies he agrees with the Islamophobia being spewed by the racist guy.

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe he didn't want war of attrition was happening following a tweet he made and hence just blocked everyone regardless of any view one had

T.O.P

Banned
Slightly game-related aside to this awful event- Tom Philips from Eurogamer tweeted last night about how awful it was, and the only reply to his tweet was by this guy implying that if it was a terrorist attack, there would be some sort of white uprising against muslims and immigrants etc.

I look at this guy's profile and he's a full on racist, retweeting English Defence League, white power stuff etc, so I reply to him and call him out for hijacking a terrible event for far right political gain. Anyway, a few minutes later I try to find Tom Philip's original tweet and... he's blocked me. Like, a journalist from Eurogamer blocked me because I confronted someone else for being racist. If he was annoyed by the tweet notifications, he could have just muted me- the blocking implies he agrees with the Islamophobia being spewed by the racist guy.

He probably didn't want this kind of shit on his profile, rightfully so

faridmon

One thing I really want to see today is the UK Muslims standing up and saying that they won't tolerate this shit anymore.

The scumbags are damaging the reputation of their religion in the Western World and if I was a Muslim I would be so fucking angry that these idiots are carrying out this shit in the name of Islam. There are so many peaceful, happy and productive Muslims in the UK. Stand up together and say that you won't fucking tolerate this shit anymore. Peaceful Muslims should be the people most angered by this I feel?

I am bloody livid.

As a Muslim and an avid music fan, this is the fucking worse. Me myself, am afraid for going to Music Festivals because of these fucks and I am sure alot of my Muslim friends feel the same way,.

Man I start to sound like a dirty terrorist sympathiser when I try to rationalise the "why they do this".

We've been at war with the middle east in some way or another for so long now guys.

For so long. Over 30 years now? There are people over there that all they've known and lived is death and destruction.

I would advocate trying to apply different methods to the turmoil. That's about it.

This is a war of attrition. And it won't stop if we continue on with the same methods.
This is bullshit, since the people growing up just fine in Europe are also committing these acts or supporting it. They have not suffered one bit from a war in the Middle-east and their families have sometimes been here for multiple generations.

No I mean. Look at that fluffed Yemen raid. It killed what, 30 civilians? So that's how many new terrorists from that?

And that's just the shit we hear about.

We've spent so much $$$ and life over there at some point we could of just bribed each and every individual, for the amount of money we've wasted getting absolutely no where.

We could of rebuilt the middle east twice over by now.
How do you bribe someone who is brainwashed into thinking this stuff he does is for his god? This is Europe, these people here don't go hungry, they have a roof over their head, they can enjoy an education, get healthcare, etc, etc. Yet they still find a reason to carry out an attack. Giving them money is not a solution.

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe he didn't want war of attrition was happening following a tweet he made and hence just blocked everyone regardless of any view one had

I hope this is true. But again, could have just muted me. And I have seen him post some vague anti-left wing stuff before.

Necro900

The European citizens who've been committing these acts have never known war of any kind.

They do get almost daily news that western nations, attempting to target an extremist minority, are dropping bombs and causing civilian fatalities in their home countries, though.

I can see where that poster is coming from, we aren't getting anywhere with the way we're handling this situation.

ClosingADoor said:
This is bullshit, since the people growing up just fine in Europe are also committing these acts or supporting it. They have not suffered one bit from a war in the Middle-east and their families have sometimes been here for multiple generations.

Unfortunately, living in Europe for generations hasn't granted them a stronger sense of belonging, apparently. Is it our fault? Probably. Is this going to get better? No, since most countries are slowly but steadily drifting towards intolerant views on foreigners.

Audioboxer

Police are saying one male attacker believed to be carrying an improvised explosive device. No name or any other identifying info. Just a sole male who died while detonating the device. From BBC News. Might have been said earlier and just being repeated.

i wanted to go to London for the first time this summer, to go see Tom Petty with my gf, perhaps the last chance to see him play on this continent. yeah.. definitely not going. it's in Hyde Park, large outdoor area with thousands of people. just nope. i would be in a constant panic attack.

Do you also avoid crossing busy roads? Have you stopped driving? Have you stopped flying?

I see where you're coming from but it's completely the wrong mentality to have. You're letting the terrorists win. We can't live our lives in fear.

Would IS exist without the US and UK entering Iraq?

You can't just dismiss the consequences of an action because you've decided they aren't a factor any more.

You can go down the line of cause and effect until you reach an event you can blame. The US and UK entering Iraq would not have happened if 9/11 or the 1991 Kuwaiti invasion had not happened.

Police are saying one male attacker believed to be carrying an improvised explosive device. No name or any other identifying info. Just a sole male who died while detonating the device. From BBC News. Might have been said earlier and just being repeated.

Yeah, been said for a good while now

Okay, so you're happy to apply this to everyone right?

The next time a white supremacist kills a black guy, decent white people everywhere should come out and condemn his actions because his actions negatively impact their reputation right?

LNBL

Muslims have been expressing their anger and have organised events against this after many of these attacks. The fact that you don't know about them, doesn't mean the people are not outraged.

Saying that all UK muslims should condemn this publicly is ridiculous.

Man I start to sound like a dirty terrorist sympathiser when I try to rationalise the "why they do this".

We've been at war with the middle east in some way or another for so long now guys.

For so long. Over 30 years now? There are people over there that all they've known and lived is death and destruction.

I would advocate trying to apply different methods to the turmoil. That's about it.

This is a war of attrition. And it won't stop if we continue on with the same methods.

I've been re-watching The West Wing lately and while sounding a bit cruel there's a rather iconic scene that addresses the way America is viewed by Islamic Extremists;

Toby Zeigler said:
There's a lot of reasons why they hate us. You know when they're gonna like us? When we win.

How about when we, instead of blowing Iraq back to the seventh century for harboring terrorists and trying to develop nuclear weapons, we just imposed economic sanctions and were reviled by the Arab world for not giving them a global charge card and a free trade treaty? How about when we pushed Israel to give up land for peace?

How about when we sent American soldiers to protect Saudi Arabia, and the Arab world told us we were desecrating their holy land? We'll ignore the fact that we were invited. How about two weeks ago, in the State of the Union when the President praised the Islamic people as faithful and hardworking only to be denounced in the Arab press as knowing nothing about Islam? But none of that is the point.

I don't remember having to explain to Italians that our problem wasn't with them, but with Mussolini! Why does the U.S. have to take every Arab country out for an ice cream cone? They'll like us when we win!

Thousands of madrassahs teaching children nothing, nothing, nothing but the Koran and to hate America. Who do we see about that? Do I want to preach America? Judeo-Christianity? No. If their religion forbids them from playing the trumpet, so be it. But I want those kids to... look at a globe. Be exposed to social sciences, history. Some literature. They'll like us when we win.

While I don't exactly share this mindset, I think the last paragraph hits an important note--Westernization, and the exposure to Western culture is key in defusing Extremism. Iran is somewhat proving that point as we speak. Every so often there are archaic laws being repealed that allow more exposure and as a result the Reformist party just had a massive win in their most recent elections. The country is moderating itself, and that process is accelerating with exposure to western cultures--Iranians can now get satellite dishes to watch certain western television channels, and the country is striking trade deals with the EU as we speak. I think that's what beating Extremism looks like.

JimiNutz

Banned
I am bloody livid.

As a Muslim and an avid music fan, this is the fucking worse. Me myself, am afraid for going to Music Festivals because of these fucks and I am sure alot of my Muslim friends feel the same way,.

It's a shame that there isn't a more public organisation that other Muslims can join or support to show their dissatisfaction. Muslims against ISIS (shit name I know) or something like that - something that people can rally behind and support just to raise public awareness and change perceptions.
Okay, so you're happy to apply this to everyone right?

The next time a white supremacist kills a black guy, decent white people everywhere should come out and condemn his actions because his actions negatively impact their reputation right?

White people aren't being demonised. Muslims are. That's very unfortunate but there is an element in this country that will spin a narrative to demonise the entire religion - thay hasn't happened to 'white people' yet.

I know that there are some protests etc from Muslims against this kind of stuff but it isnt very publicly visible. If you had a large organised group that were very vocal and very public in their criticisms then it would definitely be harder for the racists to spin the narrative.

Hopefully it indeed was just one and if that's the case, good riddance.

I can't imagine what it must be like, never have experienced something like this myself and I hope I never will. I guess I have the.... luck i guess that an attack in my small ass town is very unlikely but never say never of course.

The question is of course, did this guy act completely alone or was he part of more people?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So did Ceaser, Napoleon and other leaders of huge empire. Muslim empire was large and though it would expand into Europe, there is nothing extremist about that.

Not in the sense that God promised Europe to them, no. The early idea of Islam was that it was an "update" to Judeo-Christianity, and it was a foregone conclusion that Judeo-Christian lands would eventually adopt this update in the form of Islamic Empire. You can read more about this in the book The Shade of Swords: Jihad and the Conflict between Islam and Christianity.

Of course many Muslims today wouldn't presume that Islam has a claim to Europe. That's only because the expansion was stopped in 732 at the Battle of Tours.

Religion has carried these dreams to modern people. There are no Caesarists or Napoleanists around interpreting and re-interpreting the wild ideas of conquest pursued by these men. This is different than your examples.

Let's be clear here: I don't think this is the only way to interpret Islam or that most Muslims do. But let's also be clear that Islamic extremists have a rich Islamic history from which to draw the assumption that Islam should rightfully have dominion over the old world. It was the mission of the first 100 years of the faith.

Maledict

They do. Every fucking time. After the Westminster attack they held a march across the bridge. It often doesn't get reported on in the press (wonder why...). Unless you want every Muslim in the UK to come to your house and comment I'm not sure what more they can do

In a thread condemning an attack born out of a black and white, hate filled, and vitriolic ideology there seems to be a lot of comments displaying vitriolic/hate filled behavior.

Absolutely disgusting and deplorable. Killing children? How do these scum call themselves Muslim?
You're giving him way too much credit. In Trump's mind people are either Winners like himself, or Losers like everyone else. During the Republican Primary it was the number one jab he made at his opponents, that they were always losing and were losers. He doesn't use any other terminology because he is incapable of it given his clearly limited vocabulary (he does use the best words though) and from what I've seen and heard complete misunderstanding of the causes and effects of Terrorism at a basic level.

That is what you call them. They aren't noble, they aren't pious, they aren't heroes or martyrs, they are cowards attacking innocent civilians to try and win a fight they will never even come close to winning in the name of a God who would never approve of their tactics.

In your interpretation, and that's all it is, an interpretation that is no more valid than theirs no matter how much you want to make it so by imposing your morality on an incomprehensible "being" and an ancient text.

The sooner people accept this while realizing that it's not a condemnation of Muslims or an issue inherent to Islam the better we'll be off in combating extremism.

People call on peaceful Muslim's to speak out against extremism after every major or "minor" attack regardless of the country and the result is always the same.

Why is the onus on them to "apologize" (for lack of a better word) for attacks unrelated to them as if Muslim communities haven't been very active in working with counter-terroist officials for as long as it's been a thing, they always root out extremists trying to infiltrate and influence their communities?

Now of course they'll come out and do the usual circle/song and dance and it'll be a good thing, they shouldn't be complacent an just "shrug" saying "it wasn't us", but these endless cries for the "peaceful Muslim's" to stand up just seem offensive to me.

I don't know what your definition of growing up just fine equates to. I wouldn't want to be Muslim in the UK. It's not hordes of them but their ideologies get pushed, they snap and go on a rampage.

Like a mad Christian shooting up a planned parenthood. He was on the fringe then something happened he said "fuck it" and then he snapped.

But the ideology is flipped and instead of being persuaded to be a red hat nutcase they are persuaded over to ISIS ideology.

Extremism wears many hats.

Murkas

Like this?

CUdWqSLVAAAuV51.jpg

Tip: Muslims do. They have been for a long time (you know, since most IS/Al Qaeda victims are Muslim).

I don't know what your definition of growing up just fine equates to. I wouldn't want to be Muslim in the UK. It's not hordes of them but their ideologies get pushed, they snap and go on a rampage.

Like a mad Christian shooting up a planned parenthood. He was on the fringe then something happened he said "fuck it" and then he snapped.

But the ideology is flipped and instead of being persuaded to be a red hat nutcase they are persuaded over to ISIS ideology.

Extremism wears many hats.
They grow up just fine, as in they get to go to school, get taken care of, have food and a roof over their heads, can get a job, start a family and enjoy their lives, as compared to some countries in the Middle-east where they could have their city bombed day after day. In such a war scenario, you can at least partially understand how the hatred against the other is caused and why they want revenge. For people growing up here, not so much.

JimiNutz

Banned
Muslims have been expressing their anger and have organised events against this after many of these attacks. The fact that you don't know about them, doesn't mean the people are not outraged.

Saying that all UK muslims should condemn this publicly is ridiculous.

My point is that it should be more public. There should be some kind of organisation. You have stupid fucking organisations like the EDF, would be nice to have an organisation to counter this shit and let everyone know that the overwhelming majority of Muslims are not the problem.

Like this?

CUdWqSLVAAAuV51.jpg

Tip: Muslims do. They have been for a long time (you know, since most IS/Al Qaeda victims are Muslim).

Rather than individually condemning this stuff they should unite behind a unified organisation that is very publicly visible. They need to take back control before sinister organisations spin the narrative and demonise the entire religion.

Moreche

I'm a bit too young to remember the IRA years - didn't they just cause more destruction rather than go for mass killings? I thought when they bombed the Arndale they rang up to warn about it etc.
Just cause more destruction rather than mass killings? Poor choice of words.

Most muslims always have, everywhere.

Why do you think we arent angered by this? Every time there's an attack on a city most of us dread that it's another muslim extremist.

Not sure how you dont see us standing up for it. It annoys me when people think most of us dont.

BADMAN

I don't know if you can blame the Iraq invasion on 9/11.

Those are two very separate events.

I'm assuming this isn't sarcasm so I'll explain briefly.

"Hey America, you're still scared and angry from 9/11 right? Well turns out Iraq probably has WMDs and unless we give them Democracy RIGHT NOW they will 9/11 us x1000 because of our freedoms."

Worked pretty well too.

What the fuck

Just got to work not knowing anything and the first thing I on the Guardian is this? Bloody hell!

and its during a Live Gig. As someone who goes to a lot of them, I am shocked to hear that even entertainment and social gethrings that involves music is not safe. Fuck these people whoever they are.

I am going to 3 festivals this summer. I am starting to get worried now!
Why?
That's just their goal.
Living your life under fear of a terror attack is irrational and it's statistically unlikely to happen to you.
Might as well just stay hidden under your bed.
If it happens it happens and yes, you may die, but if it doesn't happen which it most likely won't then it's as though you've wasted years and built up uneeded stress from fearing thag an anvil will potentially fall on your head.
This was 20+ people at a concert, and not to be callous but that's a small number relative to many atrocities and is far from an every day or even yearly occurrence, it's small peas compared to the actual bombing currently being done in the middle east which is real cause for fear.
Terrible, sad news. The realisation that world has turned to crap when some cowards kill children.
Children have always been killed, acting as though the world's suddenly getting worse just encourages regressive social/political movement.

Necro900

People call on peaceful Muslim's to speak out against extremism after every major or "minor" attack regardless of the country and the result is always the same.

Why is the onus on them to "apologize" (for lack of a better word) for attacks unrelated to them as if Muslim communities haven't been very active in working with counter-terroist officials for as long as it's been a thing, they always root out extremists trying to infiltrate and influence their communities?

Now of course they'll come out and do the usual circle/song and dance and it'll be a good thing, they shouldn't be complacent an just "shrug" saying to wasn't us, but these endless cries for the "peaceful Muslim's" to stand up just seem offensive to me.

Yep, the call for all muslims to condemn such acts is frankly really offensive. I mean, it's like asking for them to "prove they're not all the same", as if you didn't trust them to be fucking normal people that naturally wouldn't approve violence.

Do I ask every white man to march on whenever some crazy man goes on a rampage? No, I don't, that would be stupid.

And I don't see why I should ask muslims to do this stuff everytime something happens so that I, a concerned white individual, can sleep at night now that I know that muslims condemn such acts.

Of course I know they condemn these atrocities, they're people like me. Fuck's sake.

TLDR: They do publicly condemn terrorist attacks with marchs etc., but they shouldn't. And shouldn't be asked to do it

BADMAN

Why do you think we arent angered by this? Every time there's an attack on a city most of us dread that it's another muslim extremist.

Not sure how you dont see us standing up for it. It annoys me when people think most of us dont.

Honestly I think this is a media exposure problem. There isn't a well known Muslim representative that responds in a way that everyone sees it.

JimiNutz

Banned

My point is that is should be more public and it should be more organised. If there was a united organisation of Muslims against ISIS or something like that then it would be a lot clearer to the rest of the public and it would be harder for racists to spin their narrative if there was an organisation with millions of Muslims members publicly condemning the action in a more organised way.

I'm not saying Muslims don't care, I know that they do, I just think it would be beneficial for there to be a united organisation that was more public so that it was clear for all to see...

Aren't Muslims dying right now fighting ISIS in Raqqa and Mosul?

I mean in the UK/US/EU etc.
Im not saying they should go and fight or anything like that, I'm saying that they should unite under one organisation specifically set up to express their dissatisfaction and vocalise their condemnation of Muslims Extremists.

azyless

They do get almost daily news that western nations, attempting to target an extremist minority, are dropping bombs and causing civilian fatalities in their home countries, though.
Yeah all the french and belgians of maghrebi origins implicated in european attacks had to grow up watching "their home countries" get bombed on the daily, right.

They grow up just fine, as in they get to go to school, get taken care of, have food and a roof over their heads, can get a job, start a family and enjoy their lives, as compared to some countries in the Middle-east where they could have their city bombed day after day. In such a war scenario, you can at least partially understand how the hatred against the other is caused and why they want revenge. For people growing up here, not so much.

I don't interact with any Muslims, maybe ex Muslims actually. But the ones in the inner cities? No not really.

It's not about growing up just fine. It's thinking about stuff as to how peoples world view gets cultured.

I know it's a bad comparison but we see how articles on Facebook etc are there to target and reinforce your own bias world view. Because we live in bubbles.

Don't a lot of Muslim communities predominantly stick together in the boroughs? What media do they consume that makes them snap?

It's about the impressionable teetering on the edge of rational behaviour. In terms of domestic terror that is. As it's not just Muslims that are going through that.

besada

Banned
My point is that it should be more public. There should be some kind of organisation. You have stupid fucking organisations like the EDF, would be nice to have an organisation to counter this shit and let everyone know that the overwhelming majority of Muslims are not the problem.

The Muslim Council of Britain, after the Paris attacks, took out a full page ad in national media. There is an organization called Not in my Name, which does exactly what you're talking about, and, in addition, counsels at risk youth. You've been told a dozen times already that there have been large, public displays, and constant condemnation. Your ignorance of this isn't evidence of anything but your ignorance. Time to move on to a different subject.

Amory

Horrible. Especially at a concert with so many kids.

You really never know where this shits gonna happen. Just takes one person and unfortunately no matter how many people we have working to prevent it, you can't stop them all.

RIP to the victims

Rather than individually condemning this stuff they should unite behind a unified organisation that is very publicly visible. They need to take back control before sinister organisations spin the narrative and demonise the entire religion.

The Muslim Council of Britain have already condemned it.

Honestly I think this is a media exposure problem. There isn't a well known Muslim representative that responds in a way that everyone sees it.

We already do, but then you have people with this mindset:

Fucking come on man. Do you really think we don't? Do you think we are THAT different from everyone else that when these type of attacks happen, we shrug and say nothing? We do. There are those that do, now.

It honestly depresses me that some choose to see us muslims in this sort of mindset.

BADMAN

Yep, the call for all muslims to condemn such acts is frankly really offensive. I mean, it's like asking for them to "prove they're not all the same", as if you didn't trust them to be fucking normal people that naturally wouldn't approve such atrocities.

Do I ask every white man to march on whenever some crazy man goes on a rampage? No, I don't, that would be stupid.

And I don't see why I should ask muslims to do this stuff everytime something happens so that I, a concerned white individual, can sleep at night now that I know that muslims condemn such acts.

Of course I know they condemn these atrocities, they're people like me. Fuck's sake.

Well the problem is that people shouldn't even associate the religion directly to the acts of the extremists, but people are really stupid and make blanket assumptions due to not knowing any Muslims personally or whatever the reason. The prejudice may lessen if there are more prominent Muslim speakers condemning the actions of the extremists to show ignorant people that there isn't a connection between the religion and extremists.

Trokil

Banned
My point is that is should be more public and it should be more organised. If there was a united organisation of Muslims against ISIS or something like that then it would be a lot clearer to the rest of the public and it would be harder for racists to spin their narrative if there was an organisation with millions of Muslims members publicly condemning the action in a more organised way.

I'm not saying Muslims don't care, I know that they do, I just think it would be beneficial for there to be a united organisation that was more public so that it was clear for all to see...

I don’t expect any of that, because I don’t think Muslims are in any way responsible for what other Muslims do. But what I would expect. You could tell the authorities about IS recruiters when somebody is trying to convince the young again to join the war. And maybe if the Imam starts ranting about the moral failings of western society you could stand up and call this bullshit.

When the last pope installed a new bishop around here and he was talking crap about homosexuality people left the church in droves, demonstrated and wrote letters to the Vatican. Newspapers call this guy out. Of course he still is there, but people do not just accept the things he tells. I saw people leaving catholic or protestant churches when somebody started to question values, we as a society have agreed upon.

Ihyll

Children among the dead...no words...

There is absolutely nothing you can do to help someone that rationalizes murdering innocent kids...

Top Bottom