• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Roufianos

I'm sick of all this empty talk. "We stand strong", "Terrorists never win". It means absolutely nothing. ISIS are winning and we're doing fuck all about it.

Why don't we send troops there and destroy them instead of waiting to be attack. I understand that radical Islam is an ideology but allowing an Islamic state to exist which preaches this doctrine should surely be the first step to defeating it.

How many Europeans have to die before we wake up.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Don't move goalposts. You said western powers have killed less children on purpose than this attack.

That is false on its face.

No goalpost moving. We are on point here. Can you name me these American/Western attacks that have killed children on purpose?

This Ariana Grande concert wasn't an attack on some Western general who waged war against Muslim lands and accidentally killed kids as collateral damage. It was an assault on children/teens in particular.

Give me any analogue to Western assaults. It would honestly be illuminating to hear a real example.

Dishwalla

Banned
Trump going "they are losers, I'm gonna call them losers from now on", man what a joke.
I'm sick of all this empty talk. "We stand strong", "Terrorists never win". It means absolutely nothing. ISIS are winning and we're doing fuck all about it.

Why don't we send troops there and destroy them instead of waiting to be attack. I understand that radical Islam is an ideology but allowing an Islamic state to exist which preaches this doctrine should surely be the first step to defeating it.

Citation needed.

How are ISIS winning?

Like how can someone be this naive?

Xando

Invasion of iraq and afghanistan sure stopped terrorist attacks.

We tried that, remember Iraq? Repeating the same methods to a problem is pretty stupid.

Preezy

No goalpost moving. We are on point here. Can you name me these American/Western attacks that have killed children on purpose?

This Ariana Grande concert wasn't an attack on some Western general who waged war against Muslim lands and accidentally killed kids as collateral damage. It was an assault on children/teens in particular.

Give me any analogue to Western assaults. It would honestly be illuminating to hear a real example.

Seconded, I await a response with intrigue.

ExitPotato

Neo Member
Friendly reminder that as of yet we know nothing about the origins, ethnicity or affiliations of the person who committed this atrocity.

The UN security council says the liberation of Mosul is imminent . They aren't winning.

LNBL

That method of just blasting in has failed in the past. Also, I'd like to think any life taken by these monsters is one too many and not just the european ones.

faridmon

Shit like this always gets ignored or over-shadowed.

People here saying Muslims should come together to rally against this.

Wanna know how I as a Muslim feel?

You want me to say "Hey, we are against these terrorist scum bags. It should be obvious already but you need an express statement from me? How many times? Forget the fact that ISIS have killed mostly us Muslims and the fact that this indiscriminate attack could have killed us Muslims, or that we Muslims are at the front lines fighting ISIS, you want me to tell you that we aren't terrorists."

Its fucking infuriating. I went on LBC radio to denounce the Boston bombings trying to tell everyone "hey we are against this". Why teh fuck wouldn't we be??? Do you know so little about us that you need an express statement from us to say we believe that the killing of innocent people is wrong and we are against it?

But then part of me is conflicted because clearly people are fucking thick and need to obviously spoon fed to them.

So yeah, OF COURSE Im fucking against this. Heck, I'll go on a rally to drill that obvious fact to you. Yes it wont surprise me if it largely gets ignored because it HAPPENS ALL THE TIME and has been for years.

Countless lectures, countless times the Muslim community have reached out, countless times we cry, bleed, fight and die for this message but somehow it all gets lost when some utter cunt does this in the name of our faith.

Its just fucking tiring....every since 9/11 its the same old shit. Fucking draining as fuck.

Believe me, if the majority of us Muslims could have gotten a hold of this cretin who committed this digusting vile and inhumane act, you don't wanna know how our anger would translate into our actions. We are angry too believe me. And on top we have our faith besmirched by this guy.

Yes,this is where I am.

Fuck these people, they are just making us Mulims live harder and in fear of others.

SkylineRKR

How are ISIS winning?

Like how can someone be this naive?

Look at the political climate in western countries. They're steering towards isolated right wing ideologies. This is out of fear and frustration, caused by terrorists. We're more divided than ever.

Answer them with force, and they'll tell their offspring their actions are just.

Audioboxer

A lot of this radicalisation happens as homegrown terrorism. Meaning it's from teachings and preaching from within the country. The main bases of radicalised terrorists do use the internet and social media to influence, but a lot of the problems are homegrown. The amount of names on watch lists within the countries of the attacks are probably notable. You cannot watch people 24/7 and you cannot invade on their privacy. Acting on words and preaching is difficult too, as a lot of ideologies peddled fall under "freedom of religion". Not outright calls to violence, but all religions are littered with remarks about infidels and viewing other religions as blasphemy/incorrect.

3rd time saying it now but the focus needs to be on more understanding as to why it ends up being 99% males. Then from that paying more attention to where they get radicalised, what is being preached and so on. It would be helpful to the police if these nut jobs were caught alive but the concept of martyrdom has to end with you dying to go and meet "your maker". Still, many arrests are often made after a terror attack. Just look at all the arrests after the London attack in the following weeks. The police and security service are always trying.

That method of just blasting in has failed in the past. Also, I'd like to think any life taken by these monsters is one too many and not just the european ones.
Not only that: "blasting in" is what actually helped something like ISIS to become what it is.

Skyzard

Banned
That's not a goalpost move.
On purpose would mean that they were intended by design to target children.

Hundreds of thousands of innocents dead.

At that point it's not really fair to call it accidental. It's somehow acceptable.

Combat males at 12 years old etc.

Entire countries have been destroyed. People are going to be mad.

Lime

Since people are using this event to talk about geopolitics and foreign military invasions for some weird reason: I'm sure bombing and invading countries with brown people already torn apart by war and instability created by the US and EU will work wonders. Yup, those bombs will surely make everyone much more secure.

So many people on GAF and supposedly identifying liberals are so naive when it comes to war and what it actually does.

Not only that: "blasting in" is what actually helped something like ISIS to become what it is.

Yep. Ironically there probably would be less terrorism if we had of spent all that war money into the middle east as foreign aid.

Streets of iraq would be paved with gold by now. Jobs everywhere. You find there's less terrorism when people have something to lose.

Source?

A separate incident, or related to the investigation for last night?

Friend of mine works at the CEX there. Facebook Live'd just now - no sign of smoke or an explosion or anything, just people running. Could have been a hoax or panic - we'll know more soon.

PillarEN

DON'T LET THEM WIN !!! go everywhere, do everything, enjoy your life and fuck those people, never let the fear overcome you.

Not really much of a choice anyway. These attacks are going to happen in the future but it's total guesswork when and where. I'm flying into Manchester tonight. Zero plans on cancelling. Odds that something will happen today? Probably the same like yesterday in any European city. Close to 0 percent. These tragedies won't make me hole myself up if only because the chance of them happening is so incredibly small that I'd really just have to have terrible luck.

I was gonna make a rebuttal but it seems others have done it already. Needless to say stuff like this is intellectually lazy and ignores homegrown terrorism.

kmax

Don't you see? It's a never ending cycle. It has always been. Resorting to violence leads to violence. You can't kill a hateful ideology since it feeds on the hate that the opponent feeds. If we stand united by showing inclusion and solidarity with people that are apart and wants to be to be part of our free society, that is how they truly lose.

Their end goal is to tear us apart, divide us, and ultimately strengthen their side. Let's never play into their hands.

I'm sure bombing and invading countries with brown people already torn apart by war and instability created by the US and EU will work wonders. Yup, those bombs will surely make everyone much more secure.

"Hello 40,000 Yazidis about to be murdered and enslaved by ISIS, this is NATO. Unfortunately we cannot do anything, things would be some much worse if we got involved. Please try to make your deaths and enslavement proceed as smooth and don't fight back as or the terrorists win."

sanstesy

DON'T LET THEM WIN !!! go everywhere, do everything, enjoy your life and fuck those people, never let the fear overcome you.

People can repeat this all they want but there comes a point where it will be disingenious. When terrorist attacks are as prevalent in the news as they are now fear of death will become greater than all. It's human nature to be affected by this directly or indirectly.

pswii60

Friend of mine works at the CEX there. Facebook Live'd just now - no sign of smoke or an explosion or anything, just people running. Could have been a hoax or panic - we'll know more soon.

The police likely being overly cautious following last night, as they should be.

Green Yoshi

Trump going "they are losers, I'm gonna call them losers from now on", man what a joke.

Only two days after he was in Saudi Arabia, a state that finances such kind of terrorism. But the problem is Iran, who voted for a moderate last weekend. Additional, the secular forces in Middle East are weakened and Saudi Arabia gets weapons worth 110 billion dollars.

"Hello 40,000 Yazidis about to be murdered and enslaved by ISIS, this is NATO. Unfortunately we cannot do anything, things would be some much worse if we got involved. Please try to make your deaths and enslavement proceed as smooth and don't fight back as or the terrorists win."
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If the West doesn't do anything, they are at fault when these people kill innocents. If they do, they create more problems and innocents die.

TimmmV

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/866963118739640320

It's been evacuated. Search Arndale on twitter, there's all sorts of videos, just people saying they got told to evacuate

Hopefully thats just them being extra cautious rather than any real threat to people - I work just around the corner from there and our building was evacuated one afternoon a month or so ago because someone found a suspicious package behind it - it turned out to be an empty cigarette packet with vape liquid in it that had leaked. Obviously the police are going to be even more cautious than usual at the moment

Still kind of worrying though...

I was gonna make a rebuttal but it seems others have done it already. Needless to say stuff like this is intellectually lazy and ignores homegrown terrorism.

It's beyond that, it's wilful ignorance.

People can repeat this all they want but there comes a point where it becomes disingenious. When terrorist attacks are as prevalent in the news as they are now fear of death will become greater than all. It's human nature to be affected by this directly or indirectly.

Yep. Our policynakers and ourselves erode our own freedom easily enough over this. Terrorists do win in terms of erosion of privacy, dignity and liberty.

That's not a goalpost move.
On purpose would mean that they were intended by design to target children.

'On purpose' means that western coalitions knew that children would die in the attack, but went ahead with it anyway. They didn't need to specifically target children in order for the attack to be on purpose.

Here is just one's example where loss of life was very high and included women and children.

There are hundreds of articles and images online that depict families weeping over their dead children after U.S. airstikes.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Literally what is being done, and has been in effect for a while now.

ISIS wouldn't have existed without the war in Iraq though.

You can't just shoot and bomb your way to a more peaceful world.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Again, I disagree with your first part. There was never a sense of promise from god that the whole earth belonged to Muslims. There is nothing in the Quran, nor the Ahadeeths, and you are basing all of this on a book (which I haven't read, I presume) that a person interpolated a a belief in the religion itself and belief in god will help them win a battle with some that inherently make them presume that the world belongs to them.

Are you Muslim by any chance? Because, there are a lot of Muslims with bad beliefs that doesn't represent anything, and you would know if you were instead of looking through lenses of others. Books have been written, but I assume that none of them actually go in depth that a lot of these Muslims are just believing in something that is just nonsense. Again, there nothing in the religion that promises anything in this world, but propel will say and, as I said, use that as an excuse to do bad, fucked up things.

I will stop here, since I won't change your mind in anything you believe we are, especially since I don't know any books that will help make my point
I don't base it on a single book. I'm just giving a source which can help illuminate historians' view of early Islam. The first caliphate was expansionist and presumed its own dominion over the old world, especially the Holy Land and Europe/Christendom because they were lands promoting a corrupted Abrahamic religion that Islam thought it was supposed to replace.

No, this dominion over Europe/Christendom was not enshrined as a hard doctrine in scripture. And for that I am grateful. But the drive to expand into this land is a part of early Islamic history, and that's the history that all Muslims, particularly extremists, can look back on and get ideas....

No I am not Muslim. Atheist with a history degree.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think many muslims relate to what you have just written, thank you. It's ridiculous that people expect every muslim to come forward and apologize or condemn this act publicly.

The UK media also have to share some of the blame...
Look at the front page of BBC news app. Theres a whole article on 'Other reactions from around the world'

US, China, Australia, Germany etc but nothing from a Muslim nation or anyone from the Muslim faith

My original point was NOT that Muslims don't care - I know that they do! My point is that it's not publicly expressed much (or maybe not reported in the press much) and the coverage in the mainstream news after this attack simply reinforces my original point.

Only two days after he was in Saudi Arabia, a state that finances such kind of terrorism. But the problem is Iran, who voted for a moderate last weekend. Additional, the secular forces in Middle East are weakened and Saudi Arabia gets weapons worth 110 billion dollars.

Yeah it's weird we hate Iran these days. I was itching my head because Iran seems to actually have elections. Whereas the Saudis have a king.

Was definitely a head scratcher.

Top Bottom