• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Audioboxer

Confirmation of a controlled explosion in case anyone reads anything online

8nMdmJk.png

DirtyLarry

For young men "stuck in a rut" or not making much of their lives, the allure to becoming a "hero" seems to flip them over from simply thinking to doing. Look at the language used by propaganda and groups like ISIS to talk about these terrorists. It's like they become famous heroes overnight. When you think little of your life, or are full of resentment, anger, hostility and crazy intolerant thoughts and people will seemingly call you a hero and a God will reward you for killing, well, some clearly think that will make meaning of their shitty pathetic lives.
Pretty simply put (as I agree) when you have nothing at all you have nothing to lose.

In fact I think you can look at a majority of the world's problems today and trace them back to this sentiment. Those with nothing to lose will start doing things that reflect that mindset.

Jumeira

Banned
'X generation immigrant' is not an uncommon phrasing used to indicate how far back the migrant ancestry goes. So in this case, they're expecting someone with either a parent or grandparent (possibly plural) who was the migrant into Britain.

It is here (surprised it's common for you) your British and not considered an immigrant, nor are you included in statistics regarding immigration. We talk of generations but don't consider those who are generations in to be immigrants.

Saddam Hussein's regime killed more people than the entire ISIS death toll to date by an order of magnitude - see the Al-Anfal campaign, the Kurdish genocide, and the Iran-Iraq war. Calling ousting him 'unwarranted' is an insult to those he slaughtered.

The failure of the Iraq war was the rebuilding process. The US was willing to pay for the war but not what came after.

I am well aware of what that shit did, and the only positive is that he is gone.

Everything else though is an absolute mess.

Replace unwarranted with absolutely amateurish. The US replaced one big evil with a lot of small ones and everything around started to crumble, and they certainly didn't went in because of how Saddam treats his people. You can't force democracy.

Skyzard

Banned
Saddam Hussein's regime killed more people than the entire ISIS death toll to date by an order of magnitude - see the Al-Anfal campaign, the Kurdish genocide, and the Iran-Iraq war. Calling ousting him 'unwarranted' is an insult to those he slaughtered.

The failure of the Iraq war was the rebuilding process. The US was willing to pay for the war but not what came after.

Those events happened 20 years before US and UK invaded and fucked up the entire country. And then helped to destabilise the rest of the entire region.

All the countries were better off previously, nothing like they are now.

Absolutely incredible people are still pushing how the Iraq war was the right call.

Want to do the right thing? Intervene in a country that desperately needed it. Like Sudan. Don't instigate fucking civil wars to install puppet regimes in stable countries.

It is here (surprised it's common for you) your British and not considered an immigrant, nor are you included in statistics regarding immigration. We talk of generations but don't consider those who are generations in to be immigrants.

I hope it's clear I didn't mean anything by it. I am dreading the inevitable stories of innocent Brits getting attacked because some idiot thought they looked Muslim today, as if compounding senseless violence with senseless violence doesn't make it worse.

I consider anyone who considers the UK their home, to be British, wherever they were born.

Yeah in Canada it's usually phrased as first/second/third/etc... generation Canadian.

mid83

I am well aware of what that shit did, and the only positive is that he is gone.

Everything else though is an absolute mess.

Replace unwarranted with absolutely amateurish. The US replaced one big evil with a lot of small ones and everything around started to crumble, and they certainly didn't went in because of how Saddam treats his people.

I don't think we could have done anything to prevent the current state of the Middle East after invading Iraq short of a long term presence of troops in country ala Germany after WWII. We didn't (and still don't) have the political support at home or in the region for that.

Obviously we shouldn't have gone in.

This thread seriously took a bad turn some pages back. You DO NOT weight atrocities against each other. They do not cancel each other out.

The bombing of civilians by the US military does not make this attack ok or understandable.

The Dresden firestorm does not make the holocaust ok.

The genocide on native americans does not make the holocaust ok.

And so on and so on. Look, this is a cheap rhetoric tactic used by especially Neo Nazis here in germany trying to normalize the holocaust. It's bullshit. Every atrocity committed by humans regardless of race, religion or origin has to be viewed by itself and has to be shamed and remembered by itself.

I also think that the poster is going too far in weighing these equally.

But this discussion started as a question of why do these attacks happen. And the answer is, additionally to Middle Eastern countries not doing enough about it, the US bombing these countries to kill key terrorists. And they're killing innocent bystanders in the process. "Accidentally" really isn't the word I would use. Neither is "on purpose". They're pretty much accepting of it, and to the family and friends of the victims the moral difference doesn't really matter. It just radicalizes them.

I do think it's worthy to be conscious of that, to have a better understanding of the causes, and the means that definitely won't stop this.

And also to be conscious of the fact that while we Europeans are having killed dozens in these attacks, our Middle Eastern neighbours are having killed hundreds and thousands on a regular basis. There's a moral difference, of course. But the difference in reaction to these deeds by the general public and the media really can't be explained by that moral difference.

That's all I wanted to add to this discussion.

I also think that the poster is going too far in weighing these equally.

But this discussion started as a question of why do these attacks happen. And the answer is, additionally to Middle Eastern countries not doing enough about it, the US bombing these countries to kill key terrorists. And they're killing innocent bystanders in the process. "Accidentally" really isn't the word I would use. Neither is "on purpose". They're pretty much accepting of it, and to the family and friends of the victims the moral difference doesn't really matter. It just radicalizes them.

I do think it's worthy to be conscious of that, to have a better understanding of the causes, and the means that definitely won't stop this.

And also to be conscious of the fact that while we Europeans are having killed dozens in these attacks, our Middle Eastern neighbours are having killed hundreds and thousands on a regular basis. There's a moral difference, of course. But the difference in reaction to these deeds by the general public and the media really can't be explained by that moral difference.

That's all I wanted to add to this discussion.
Intent matters in our legal system and our moral judgements. It always has.

Jumeira

Banned
I hope it's clear I didn't mean anything by it. I am dreading the inevitable stories of innocent Brits getting attacked because some idiot thought they looked Muslim today, as if compounding senseless violence with senseless violence doesn't make it worse.

I consider anyone who considers the UK their home, to be British, wherever they were born.

Of course no need to explain yourself, you were clear previously​ :) #Solidarity with all

Oh, wasn't necessarily speaking to my own experience, just explaining the phrasing.

As to matter of whether or not one is considered British if they are descended of immigrants, I would say that experience varies across the country. Trying to define such in 'generations' does feel a bit awkward on the tongue though.

Audioboxer

Pretty simply put (as I agree) when you have nothing at all you have nothing to lose.

In fact I think you can look at a majority of the world's problems today and trace them back to this sentiment. Those with nothing to lose will start doing things that reflect that mindset.

True, I think that concept can also go ways to explain why when we aren't talking terrorism, but even just behaviour online, so much of the anger/resentment and what we refer to as 'trolling' these days is males. Generalising a bit, but I bet if we were to know who a lot of the anonymous avatars saying terrible shit online to other people were, it would largely be males feeling "stuck in a rut". There can be truths that many young males, largely talking teenagers, can go through stages of issues with aggression and hormones. However, putting that aside when we start to see people in their 20's/30's and later behaving terribly on the internet (not just 14-year-old Halo smack talk), you can bet it is still males, and many of whom have poor life/job prospects. Poor sexual/partner prospects also kick up behavioural issues. This is true even with terrorists. Many will fit the category of not just males, but single males. I honestly think with promises that involve a sexual nature in an afterlife are stimulating such minds too. As much as everyone in modern pop culture makes jokes about virgins in the afterlife, the truth behind the power of such a concept may well be far more sinister.

Honestly, a lot of the nitty gritty psychology and exploration of behaviour and the minds behind actions as extreme as terrorism down to actions unacceptable online, have many ties. Trying to find ways to combat all of it is something that has no simple answer at all. All answers it does have as well are multi-faceted. So many things we need to try and do, from education to security. We just have to look at the trends though, nearly always males, and then often it will be males with poor life prospects and as I said in this post often single or with little romantic/sexual contact with others. Crimes committed of a sexual nature throughout history are littered through all religious faiths, wars and acts of aggression or power from males. It's not a coincidence and it's a topic for a serious discussion where many will only be able to joke about sex/partners/relationships. In general most humans need companionship or relationships to feel they are well-rounded or living a purposeful life. Not everyone (some can live alone), and no, absolutely no one can go after something like this by force, but many minds can end up in dark places living solitary lives with no companionship. It's why I am generally critical of the concepts of celibacy enforced in some religious doctrine. Largely speaking, it isn't healthy.

Going a bit OT, but I think there is so much value in breaking down some of these discussions to micro-levels like this rather than just focussing on terrorist groups/cells. There has to be research and understanding around the individuals themselves who carry out the atrocities and why they get radicalised. Especially why it is nearly always males.

Costa Kid

I feel so sorry for all the families suffering from this.

Cant believe what I'm reading on my Facebook, I went to school with this guy.
I know lots of people who I would've considered smart who are now like that. We underestimate the power of the internet and social media.

This is an awful event and made worse by people trying to politicise it and turn it into something it's not to fit in with their beliefs. The poor families.

I feel so sorry for all the families suffering from this.

Cant believe what I'm reading on my Facebook, I went to school with this guy.

Block the fuckers.

A good friend of mine who lives in Manchester posted this:

Apparently I am as much to blame for the children who died in the bombing as the terrorist is. Blood is on my hands because I do not believe that we should ban refugees from our country.
And then they blocked me, of course.

and

When I first moved to Manchester (and this majority Muslim area of the city) a white taxi driver tried to tell me I was "too good" to live here. When I replied that my Muslim neighbours had sent us Christmas cards, been quiet, polite, swept their front yards and been nothing but kind he replied "yeah but they're SLY aren't they?"

People like this friend are *my* Manchester right there.

If you haven't got the energy to confront them about this, just cut them out of your life. Echo chambers are dangerous, but so is exposing yourself to hate and ignorance.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
This thread seriously took a bad turn some pages back. You DO NOT weight atrocities against each other. They do not cancel each other out.

The bombing of civilians by the US military does not make this attack ok or understandable.

Really? Of course it doesn't make this attack OK, but the only way to understand it is to look at the viewpoint of the people carrying out the attacks. And the US military bombing innocent Muslims is going to weight pretty fucking heavily on that.

King_Moc

Banned
Religion cam seriously go and do one at this point. All it seems to be good for is convincing otherwise good people to commit evil acts.

I mean, sorry, if you're religious, but come on. It's just not worth it.

Anung

Un Rama
Terrorism never wins actually. we may have more restrictions because of their actions but for the most part our freedom is not gone. We can still say what we want, listen to any music we want, worship whatever deity we want, and dress how we want. Terrorism has not, and will not, ever be as effective as they want it to be.

Apples and Oranges really. I'd argue that eroding civil liberty in whatever form is a loss. The rise of right wing rhetoric and sentiments in response to this, the villification of muslims and the way that plays into disenfranchising them into becoming new members.

It's not a total victory in the way winning a war would be but for their goals I'd say it's certainly doing its job.

Religion cam seriously go and do one at this point. All it seems to be good for is convincing otherwise good people to commit evil acts.

Religion provides social support structures and moral guidance to many. It has helped play a part in reforming criminals and guiding people considering horrible acts of harm or self harm away from going through with them.

I can't weigh the good against the bad... but it is good for more than convincing 'otherwise good people' to commit evil.

Beefy

Good that countries are starting to tackle the biggest problem Saudi Arabia, who are enabling all these terrorist attacks. Glad the USA told them to fuck off the other day.
/s

RIP to the victims.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Those events happened 20 years before US and UK invaded and fucked up the entire country. And then helped to destabilise the rest of the entire region.

They were not the only events. Saddam Hussein then went on to invade Kuwait. The consequent war and economic sanctions caused Iraqi GDP/capita to fall by two thirds. Throughout his entire regime, he was responsible for repeated political incarcerations and killings, as well as policies deliberately directed to oppress the Kurdish population and diminish their numbers. He didn't suddenly hit 1993 and go 'hey, I'll pack it in'.

You're also assuming that even if he had suddenly packed in the genocide and the warmongering, he'd have been a stable leader. The rebellion against Assad, comparable to Hussein in the sense of being a brutal dictator, preceded Western invention - we were late to the party. The destabilisation of Syria was in response to Assad. He wasn't something that would have prevented it, he was the direct causal factor. It is rather likely Hussein would have faced the same problem in the face of the Arab Spring.

Put another way, which is better off right now, Iraq, or Syria? Quite clearly Iraq. Which was the one where a brutal dictator was deposed, and which was the one where the brutal dictator was left in place? Iraq, then Syria.

All the countries were better off previously, nothing like they are now.

This is factually untrue. Iraq's GDP/capita right now is higher than it was at any point under the Hussein regime excluding the 1990 oil price shock (which was what precipitated the war in the first place). Iraq has a reasonably well-functioning democracy that ranks more high for civil rights and inclusiveness than any other Arab state. Iraq has more electrical generation, greater oil production, less people in absolute poverty, and better sanitation infrastructure than the pre-war period. Iraq is now better than it was ever at any point under Hussein.

Where Iraq has struggled has been because Syria's chaos has spilled over the border. The current problem in Syria is a failure of the West to do anything against the Assad regime when there was a clear window of opportunity.

Yes, this is how every war works, after a certain scale. You're advocating for pacifism, which will generally end up with children killed by the non-pacifist side.
Bullshit.

This isn't a war. The crimes of ISIS are horrific, but no more so than dozens of other groups. Our slaughter of brown people dwarfs any attack ISIS could hope to perpetrate. We created them, we fuel their numbers by killing innocents, and then people have the gaul to say, 'That's just war bro'.

Fuck that.

King_Moc

Banned
Religion provides social support structures and moral guidance to many. It has helped play a part in reforming criminals and guiding people considering horrible acts of harm or self harm away from going through with them.

I can't weigh the good against the bad... but it is good for more than convincing 'otherwise good people' to commit evil.

I'm sure if those people are actually good they can do something similar without religion being there.

Nakasan

If Religion wasn't here these cunts would still find something to base their hate on. Skin colour. Country someone is born in. Whether they are witches or not. What football team they love. What sex someone is. What sex their partner is. This list is endless.

Trokil

Banned

Organized religions are not about that, they are about power. Having faith has nothing to do with listening to somebody telling me all day, how the west is corrupt, how homosexuals are immoral and things like that. Of course people will think they are not human and are ok with killing children.

And there is no religion of peace, if their religious heads spend a good amount of time telling everybody how two thirds of humanity are morally corrupt. If it is about the betterment of your own faith, stop pointing fingers at everybody else.

If Religion wasn't here these cunts would still find something to base their hate on. Skin colour. Country someone is born in. Whether they are witches or not. What football team they love. What sex someone is. What sex their partner is. This list is endless.

Because there are so many racist, heterosexual or nationalist suicide bombers? Stop the cultural relativism this is getting nowhere. Religion makes people do things they would never do because of something else. Timothy Mcveigh died in prison not in the bomb blast.

King_Moc

Banned

Some people would, yeah. But people in suicide jackets? Nah, this is brainwashing.

Budi

My friend just shared a quote by Steven Weinberg, an American theoretical physicist

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

I'm sure if those people are actually good they can do something similar without religion being there.

I know a preacher who before finding religion did time for armed robbery. He has helped thousands of inmates.

He is one of the best people I know and I can vouch for his actual goodness.

At times like this we should all come together, just like the people of Manchester did last night, and continue to do today.

azyless

Yeah I'm sure it would be considered acceptable here to handwave a racist crime by saying "it has nothing to do with racism, they would have found another motive anyway" the way people always do with crimes based on religion.

Top Bottom