• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Man, seeing armed police walking around Glasgow is scary as fuck.

They're deployed to reassure the public but the sight of a gun terrifies me.

A shame this is necessary. But if it reassures others then I'm glad they're doing it.

It's weird, right? I live in Kent and remember seeing some guys in a woodland with guns last year. I joked "Hey look, Americans!" Then immediately felt embarrassed about making that association =P But it really is that uncommon to see guns over here. Maybe on police in London, but even that's limited.

Ofcourse prayer is a beautiful gesture and comes from a good place.

I absolutely do, I was also here trying to tell people to calm down with the Islam accusations before we had more info. And that poster was talking about religion overall, not pointing out Islam specifically.

But yeah, I apologize for contributing to this kind of discussion in this thread when we already have more fitting thread for it.

I'm aware that I'm overly sensitive today. It's hard not to be.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

A shame this is necessary. But if it reassures others then I'm glad they're doing it.

Seen them around Newcastle, particularly over christmas. I get the idea but guys with big guns doesn't make me feel at ease.

Acorn

Armed police are at Glasgow central station and around there all the time.

Hux1ey

Banned

You must hate airports.

It just boggles the mind how anyone could twist this around into a good thing that paints them in a positive light.

They are subhuman.

kmax

ISIS must feel so proud, killing pre-teen girls at a music concert.

This is ISIS we're talking about. Unless you follow their fucked up ideology, you're the enemy and should die. They're most likely patting themselves on the back with this one.

They're truly monsters. How I wish that they never were created.

mr stroke

It just boggles the mind how anyone could twist this around into a good thing that paints them in a positive light.

They're doing Gods work

(which is the Only thing that makes sense anymore, even then I can't imagine the doubts you must have internally before activating that bomb)

Killing innocent people and children is the act of fucking cowards. Hearing things like this makes me want to seriously fuck these people up.

Give me 5 minutes alone with one of these cowards! Seeing children crying and hurting seriously pushes me to dark places!

I've held it together pretty well today, but just got back from the Sheffield vigil where I saw a number of kids laying flowers and young girls in t-shirts from the tour in floods of tears. That hit hard.

But heartwarming to see so many turn out.

Beefy

@david_conn

Remarkable vigil attended by thousands of people, Albert Square, Manchester. Defiant, sad, celebrated diversity, not a hint of hate.

DAhzvvtXcAE4OB-

Good to see

Kadayi

Banned
No evidence of direct ISIS involvement, unlike in Paris. ISIS will lay claim to any atrocities that further their cause.

What constitutes direct ISIS involvement exactly? They've pretty much said via their media outlets that it's open season on 'crusaders' to any and all who hear the call.

Unfortunately, despite all the political talk of multiculturalism, the reality is many communities are pretty tribal in nature (esp religious ones) and some actively promote exclusion from others to the extent that they dehumanise those outside their own sphere. Once others are dehumanised, it's pretty easy to view them as disposable. You find 'othering' happens a lot worldwide.

Miles X

This is an amazing post.

The only reason religion is fading away in the west is because we don't force it on people, and most importantly because we also don't try to stifle it. Repress people's views and opinions, especially in a matter religious people view as more important than life itself, and you'll run into extreme reactions. We need to get governments and education systems into a place that teaches both science and religion, allowing everyone to make up their own minds, and not judge anyone one way or another. Religion will never vanish because spirituality is a big part of being human and we all get in touch with that through various means. But by not enforcing or persecuting religion we should be able to reach the sort of happy balance we (mostly) have in the west.

Religion has absolutely no place in the schooling system.

Sunster

What constitutes direct ISIS involvement exactly? They've pretty much said via their media outlets that it's open season on 'crusaders' to any and all who hear the call.

Yea I doubt ISIS are calling operatives up in Europe and giving orders. People around the world are just inspired by them and do these things. Then ISIS says, "yea that was us"

Acorn

I went to a Catholic school, the only difference is religious education (which is about every religion) and occasional masses. Which you had the option of not attending, same for R.E . There were a number of protestants and Muslims in my school too.

Everything is national curriculum.

From BBC's reporting of the vigil:

Lord Mayor of Manchester, Eddy Newman, began today's vigil in Manchester by thanking the emergency services, which prompted huge applause.

He said: "The people of Manchester will remember the victims forever and we will defy the terrorists by working together to create cohesive, diverse communities that are stronger together.

"We are the many, they are the few."

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said he was heartened to hear the acts of kindness from emergency service workers and normal people during last night's atrocities.

He said: "The people of Greater Manchester showed the people of the world how much we care, how much we care about one another, and how much we care for those in need."

He also thanked "the rest of the world for holding us in their thoughts".

A candle has been lit as a "sign of hope" to the people of Manchester, while Adagio for Strings plays in the background.

A very poignant moment to end a vigil of hope and civic pride for the people of Manchester.

The crowd ended by chanting, cheering and clapping "we love Manchester".

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-england-manchester-40007967

And the tears start to flow freely once more.

The difference being that the Paris attackers were specifically trained in and travelled from ISIS territory.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Ghouls like Katie Hopkins etc are out in force on Twitter making hay out of this. Disgusting evil ghouls.

Who gives a shit?

Are there still some people out there that haven't realised that literally all she cares about is getting as much attention as possible?

Just ignore her.

Sunster

I went to a Catholic school, the only difference is religious education (which is about every religion) and occasional masses. Which you had the option of not attending, same for R.E . There were a number of protestants and Muslims in my school too.

Everything is national curriculum.

I wish my Catholic school was like yours. Mass was mandatory as was holy rosary and stations of the cross and sometimes we held hands around the flag out front and prayed for aborted fetuses...

Razmos

I've just got home after work from Manchester and my god I am so emotionally drained. I've been on the verge of crying all day. I feel like as soon as my head hits the pillow tonight it's all just going to come out.

Bits like this make me think I really need to go to Manchester one day.

I'm a filthy southerner, but my Uncle is from Manchester, my Mum's from Birmingham and my Dad is from...South Africa

It sounds like an amazing city.

I miss its diversity and spirit nearly every day, but today even more so.

This is an amazing post.

The only reason religion is fading away in the west is because we don't force it on people, and most importantly because we also don't try to stifle it. Repress people's views and opinions, especially in a matter religious people view as more important than life itself, and you'll run into extreme reactions. We need to get governments and education systems into a place that teaches both science and religion, allowing everyone to make up their own minds, and not judge anyone one way or another. Religion will never vanish because spirituality is a big part of being human and we all get in touch with that through various means. But by not enforcing or persecuting religion we should be able to reach the sort of happy balance we (mostly) have in the west.

edit: Gotcha. Fair enough.

I wish my Catholic school was like yours. Mass was mandatory as was holy rosary and stations of the cross and sometimes we held hands around the flag out front and prayed for aborted fetuses...

Same here minus the aborted fetuses.

Religious EDUCATION does, so parents saying "all Muslims are terrorists" isn't the only source kids have. And likewise parents saying "If you don't believe in God you'll go to hell" isn't the only source for kids in Christian families.

See above. Religious education, not religious indoctrination. I should have specified though, my bad.

Acorn

I'm in Scotland which is devolved for education. Dunno if that would make a difference.

Abortion was taught about in sexual education, they didn't say it was wrong or right to do. Ofcourse they tried to emphasise using protection like everywhere does.

A girl in my year got the morning after pill from the school nurse too.

VegiHam

I'm a filthy southerner, but my Uncle is from Manchester, my Mum's from Birmingham and my Dad is from...South Africa

I'm lucky enough to get to visit Manchester every few months; and it's an amazing city. I really want to move there. You should go man!

Sunster

I'm in Scotland which is devolved for education. Dunno if that would make a difference.

Abortion was taught about in sexual education, they didn't say it was wrong or right to do. Ofcourse they tried to emphasise using protection like everywhere does.

A girl in my year got the morning after pill from the school nurse too.

Ah, well there you go. I'm in America and we let private schools do whatever they want and not do or teach whatever they don't want.

Garjon

They don't care. They want to cause chaos, confusion, anger and fear. They want to escalate tensions between Muslims and everyone else. This will be a massive success for them. The only way for it not to be is to go on like it never happened, as horrible as that is.

King_Moc

Banned

Yeah, it's a fun place. It's a great night out.

Acorn

Ah, well there you go. I'm in America and we let private schools do whatever they want and not do or teach whatever they don't want.
Ah I see.

In Scotland everything has to be national curriculum for every subject and can't include religious fud in science etc.

Not sure about England since free schools came into being because they have a greater degree of autonomy iirc.

SkylineRKR

They don't care. They want to cause chaos, confusion, anger and fear. They want to escalate tensions between Muslims and everyone else. This will be a massive success for them. The only way for it not to be is to go on like it never happened, as horrible as that is.

But they will prepare another.

Its either ignoring it, and enduring another bomb at god knows what kind of target the next time. Or go to action and fuel the flames of war. In both cases its not going to end well.

You're all welcome to Manchester, despite these issues it's an amazing city.

It gets a bad rap but I was there just a month ago, near the arena, and it's got some great spots to eat and hang out. Love their focus on public transit and walking spaces as well.

Yeah ok buddy. Did you even graduate from a private school? There are very few private schools that differ meaningfully from the local state schools, other than having more money and resources. Most of them follow the same requirements and are accredited by the same bodies. There are outliers though, Bob Jones and Liberty University off the top of my head.

Top Bottom