• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 dead, 59 injured in Manchester Arena explosion (Being treated as an attack)

Garjon

But they will prepare another.

Its either ignoring it, and enduring another bomb at god knows what kind of target the next time. Or go to action and fuel the flames of war. In both cases its not going to end well.

I should've said that applies to us, not the authorities, who should keep supporting anti-ISIS forces in Iraq and Syria; Mosul is almost re-captured and ISIS will get weaker every day.

Kadayi

Banned
The difference being that the Paris attackers were specifically trained in and travelled from ISIS territory.

Yeah, well right now it's kind of hard to get out of ISIS territory, which is why they've been asking supporters to engage in individual acts of terrorism globally for quite some time. With suggestions like 'Steal a truck and run over Infidels' (sic)

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ussian-ambassador-ankara-karlov-a7487781.html

I'm just wondering why 'directly' in any way matters? Does the fact the bomber wasn't from the ISIS training grounds make them somehow less accountable?

Yeah ok buddy. Did you even graduate from a private school? There are very few private schools that differ meaningfully from the local state schools, other than having more money and resources. Most of them follow the same requirements and are accredited by the same bodies. There are outliers though, Bob Jones and Liberty University off the top of my head.

Well in the UK, private and state schools differ significantly, in terms of opportunities available, environment, regulations and prospects.

Ghouls like Katie Hopkins etc are out in force on Twitter making hay out of this. Disgusting evil ghouls.

She overplayed her hand with the final solution tweet.

s7ntIq9.jpg

She's since changed it true solution and has since been taking shots at Manchester police because they had the nerve to say they'd investigate the tweet.

xequalsy

Just got back from the Manchester vigil. Was a very sombre yet uplifting place. Glad to see the turnout for it, the square was absolutely packed.

Acorn

s7ntIq9.jpg

She's since changed it true solution and has since been taking shots at Manchester police because they had the nerve to say they'd investigate the tweet.
It's ridiculous that Twitter hasn't banned her. Especially since hate speech is illegal here.

It's about time she faced consequence for encouraging hate and discord in this country.

Sunster

Yeah ok buddy. Did you even graduate from a private school? There are very few private schools that differ meaningfully from the local state schools, other than having more money and resources. Most of them follow the same requirements and are accredited by the same bodies. There are outliers though, Bob Jones and Liberty University off the top of my head.

I should have been more specific I guess. I went to a cooky religious school. they didn't "do whatever they wanted" I just meant they did things like, not teach us about evolution apart from merely referencing it as a theory. I didn't mean to say the US gov lets private schools run wild and create religious cults or whatever.

kmax

s7ntIq9.jpg

She sounds a lot like Hitler there - which I'm sure she knows too.

Dabanton

Ghouls like Katie Hopkins etc are out in force on Twitter making hay out of this. Disgusting evil ghouls.

People really need to stop amplifying her messages. She writes for the daily mail her whole job is to rile up people up. It keeps her in very steady work.

Sensible people should make her persona non grata. Dont share or mention her let her fester away.

Audioboxer

This is an amazing post.

The only reason religion is fading away in the west is because we don't force it on people, and most importantly because we also don't try to stifle it. Repress people's views and opinions, especially in a matter religious people view as more important than life itself, and you'll run into extreme reactions. We need to get governments and education systems into a place that teaches both science and religion, allowing everyone to make up their own minds, and not judge anyone one way or another. Religion will never vanish because spirituality is a big part of being human and we all get in touch with that through various means. But by not enforcing or persecuting religion we should be able to reach the sort of happy balance we (mostly) have in the west.

True, we're all spiritual beings as well, even if the deepest recesses of a heart and mind are staunch science. We think about life, death, why we are here and what we want to do with the time we have. Spirituality can come even in non-belief of a deity. It's largely a personal venture. I'm not trying to sway too much into philosophy either, as even although it's an important part of humanity/history some of the sheer redundant narratives peddled that life is "meaningless" can end up being rather destructive too. Or that everything is equally relative. Life isn't meaningless, and whether you are religious or not what is important is you are able to make your own mind up and hopefully have a society which allows you to. Some places in the world force belief on people and that always ends with mass bloodshed. Everything isn't relative either as we do need to sometimes critique things in life and decide what works and what doesn't. Sometimes with harsh words, and at times even things like satire. I'm not a big fan of postmodernism, put it that way. Not that I want to eradicate it either, it's part of history, but some of the thinking from a lot of the French postmodernists is frightening. That is an argument for another topic mind you.

Hence why secular societies often excel with freedom of religion and speech empowering many. A secular society doesn't mean an atheist totalitarian state, it means a high value on personal freedom and careful consideration of Governmental meddling. With that caveat that everyone needs to try and unify behind tolerance of freedom, yet said freedom having laws that protect against abuse/oppression. You do not need to agree with another person's views on spirituality/religion and what happened for us to be created/what happens after death, but you do need to respect human life and not attempt to harm/threaten or attempt to overthrow societies. With that does sometimes entail the ability for you to be offended, but handle that offence in a way which is productive. It's okay to feel angry someone mocked your religion, it's not okay to retaliate with violence/physical harm/threats.

As you said as well, most of the societies that value freedom of religion and speech the most successfully end up being the most inclusive and forward thinking. Sometimes it naturally leads people to leave religious frames of mind, true, but that has to come by choice. Not force. For all the faults some of our societies have we do need to rally around to protect a lot of the freedoms and liberties we value. There are a decent handful of places in the world where there isn't any freedom of religion or very little, and speech often gets you jailed, hurt or even killed. Speech that challenges the Government's choice of enforced religion.

Tldr; I'll forever be a man of science that thinks freedom of religion is fundamental to a successful society. Any sort of new atheism or views of eradicating religion will never work and will always cause a lot of harm.

PS. Try and not come across some of the friends and victims Twitter accounts. It's heart breaking.

Hex

Banned
Him and others refuse to acknowledge that the religion and ssoe of its translations are calling for this .

Again and this will be my only post on the topic because it is just not the right way to go...
But christians call for stoning people, killing people, taking your eye out,
Are the churches and your neighbors doing this? No.
They interpret it a different way and see it a different way.
I can say until I am blue in the face that christianity tells people to stone adulterers, murder idoloters, burn witches, kill your children, stone people for random things while standing in a church and they will stare at me like I am insane.
Because a part of the sect chooses to adopt the primative dogma is a terrible thing and a sad thing it is an insult to every Muslim who lives in peace, fights for your country, works their ass off to tag it on the religion so flippantly.

Acorn

People really need to stop amplifying her messages. She writes for the daily mail her whole job is to rile up people up. It keeps her in very steady work.

Sensible people should make her persona non grata. Dont share or mention her let her fester away.
I agree generally. But I really think some times people need to pay attention so hopefully finally Police will charge her with hate speech and incitement.

You are right that her and others like her live off the oxygen generated from their "controversial" tweets. That posh double barrelled tory women Julia something is the same.

s7ntIq9.jpg

Deport all muslims and ban all muslims from visiting the country? Is this possible? Serious question

Yeah, well right now it's kind of hard to get out of ISIS territory, which is why they've been asking supporters to engage in individual acts of terrorism globally for quite some time. With suggestions like 'Steal a truck and run over Infidels' (sic)

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...ussian-ambassador-ankara-karlov-a7487781.html

I'm just wondering why 'directly' in any way matters? Does the fact the bomber wasn't from the ISIS training grounds make them somehow less accountable?

No, I don't think we hold ISIS less accountable for deaths their propaganda causes, than for deaths committed by people trained directly by them, but I think trying to tackle these problems takes two very different approaches. Each poses its own difficulties.

s7ntIq9.jpg

Did she spell Manchester right when you she edited out 'final solution'?

Because fucking hell.

Fucking scary that stuff like this is happening more and more in the west. And at a concert for pre-teens...

Hopefully ISIS' and other terrorists' influence can continue to be steadily erroded.

Abounder

Banned
Fucking scary that stuff like this is happening more and more in the west. And at a concert for pre-teens...

Hopefully ISIS' and other terrorists' influence can continue to be steadily erroded.

Indeed. Only way to counter it is through intelligence, or at least getting a response time similar to Israel (less than 12 mins after a terrorist attack the casualties are in a hospital). West relies way too much on largely unregulated private security especially US

spwolf

This is an amazing post.

The only reason religion is fading away in the west is because we don't force it on people, and most importantly because we also don't try to stifle it. Repress people's views and opinions, especially in a matter religious people view as more important than life itself, and you'll run into extreme reactions. We need to get governments and education systems into a place that teaches both science and religion, allowing everyone to make up their own minds, and not judge anyone one way or another. Religion will never vanish because spirituality is a big part of being human and we all get in touch with that through various means. But by not enforcing or persecuting religion we should be able to reach the sort of happy balance we (mostly) have in the west.

wasnt this done by UK citizen, born in the UK? So I am pretty sure he was thought science in the UK, it is not southern USA. All this shit happening in Europe is happening in more liberal countries where there is less of enforcing or persecuting of religion.

Absolutely not. Just pointing out that people often blame ISIS , meaning an organisation, when in a lot of cases the atrocities are committed by people who are buying into their philosophy and have no direct contact with the actual organisation. I'm not saying it matters at all.

spwolf

Deport all muslims and ban all muslims from visiting the country? Is this possible? Serious question

While you are likely asking about that nazi supporter on twitter, of course it is not possible to deport your own citizens that are born "here". What that nazi is advocating is basically what hitler tried to do and it is not in any way possible and even suggesting it actually harms relationships between different communities there.

While you are likely asking about that nazi supporter on twitter, of course it is not possible to deport your own citizens that are born "here". What that nazi is advocating is basically what hitler tried to do and it is not in any way possible and even suggesting it actually harms relationships between different communities there.

What happens if people like her gain too much power?

So she was talking about genocide, yikes

Did she spell Manchester right when you she edited out 'final solution'?

Because fucking hell.

She claims she deleted it because the typo was disrespectful to the survivors of the attack.

Oh and she stands by the tweet but won't explain why she changed it from final to true...the veil slipped for a second and she quickly went back to coded language not realising nothing is ever deleted from the internet...

2Mkna3G.png

The fuck my dude?

Another chestnut that's in no way trying to encourage any kind of response from 'western men'...

9Mim636.png

Audioboxer

It would probably largely be best to ignore Hopkins. She has trash opinions not formed around any credibility and simply looks to be obsessively cold hearted, callous and bigoted for personal gain/fame. A complete waste of anyone's time and effort. The kind of life you might look back at on your death bed and say what the hell was wrong with me?

Acorn

It would probably largely be best to ignore Hopkins. She has trash opinions not formed around any credibility and simply looks to be obsessively cold hearted, callous and bigoted for personal gain/fame. A complete waste of anyone's time and effort. The kind of life you might look back at on your death bed and say what the hell was wrong with me?
I just think sometimes we need to create a stink to try and get the police to take action.

Acorn

I feel like that would make thing worse. Imagine the outrage from her followers.
Perhaps you're right. I really want her to finally get her comeuppance. She's saying shit like what lead to Nick Griffin getting charged with incitement and hate speech 10 years ago.

She should be made an example of. Send a message that this will not be tolerated regardless if it's in real life or online.

cartesian

Bits like this make me think I really need to go to Manchester one day.

I'm a filthy southerner, but my Uncle is from Manchester, my Mum's from Birmingham and my Dad is from...South Africa

It sounds like an amazing city.
I'm from the south too - and I love it.

Manchester isn't very touristy. There aren't many monuments or world-famous attractions. There aren't really any tour buses. The main shopping centre is a bit of an eyesore on the outside. And it has a reputation for being rainy.

And yet it's one of my favourite cities in the world.

I lived there for about four years and I fell in love with it. Gritty around the edges but cool as you like. The history, the architecture, the buzz, the regeneration, the culture, the swagger, the underdog spirit... it's smaller than London and has always had to fight politicians in the capital for funding and services - and yet it somehow pulls it off.

I loved it there and I miss it. I live in London now - and don't get me wrong, London is a thrill - but my hope is that I can move back to Manchester in a few years, buy a house and settle down there.

I'm always a little wary to recommend Manchester to visitors or tourists because, although I rave about it (Mancunian pride is very infectious), I'm still conscious that the reality, on first glance, is a large regional British city (mid-sized by world standards) that was first and foremost an industrial city, not a royal palace. So it's a bit tatty in parts, Piccadilly Gardens and the Arndale Centre feel more 'provincial town' than 'European city', and it's not got the famous museums or attractions of London. The regeneration is constantly ongoing too - so it's a 'work in progress' city.

But if make a bit of effort, you'll find the world's first industrial city, the site of the world's first intercity railway, the place where the atom was first split, where the leader of the Suffragettes was born and raised, the library corner where Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels started developing communism, the halls and buildings where early capitalists stood up for a big idea called 'free trade', the beautiful red-brick warehouses and mills that once drove between 65%-80% of the world's entire cotton industry, the university that developed the first computer, and a lovely place to call home.

Communism, capitalism, feminism, and industrialisation all have major roots in Manchester. And today it's a beautiful, diverse, and progressive city, with a big LGBT community, an ever expanding speedy-tram network that makes me resent the Bakerloo Line, a growing business, media and tech community, a top university for sciences, Britain's largest airport outside London, and fantastic access to the Peak District (I was a keen walker). If you're into sports, you've got Britain's national velodrome, Lancashire cricket club, the aquatics centre... and you may have heard there are some fairly well known football clubs in the area too?

It may not be photogenic place like Paris or a museum maze like London but if you go in with the right level of expectations, are prepared to make a bit of effort, and are blessed with sunny weather, you'll find a place that changed the world.

Audioboxer

I just think sometimes we need to create a stink to try and get the police to take action.

They already know the verbal diarrhoea that flows from her mouth. This isn't the US speech laws so she is treading on ice. More so because messages that can be inferred to incite violence are going to get you into serious shit. That's the case even in the US to be fair, but they're more relaxed about volatile hate than we are.

It's always frustrating as hell when people in places of privelege with decent wealth behave like genuine thundercunts. Then again, as I said above she's made her wealth being an attention seeker and saying ridiculous shit to get reactions. It's worse when it all comes under the guise of political commentator/journalist. Then again, it's the Daily Mail. If Alien life were given one thing off of planet Earth to read and it was an issue of the DM, they'd nuke us from space.

coljae

Been thinking a lot about these events today, Manchester is a city I spend a lot of time in.

Keep thinking of my first gig I went to without my parents, Manchester Gmex 1993. My mate and I got dropped off, couple of over excited teenagers, my mum watched us all the way into the venue knowing we'd be safe inside. Can't help wondering if any other parents last night had similar thoughts as they watched their kid head in. My heart breaks for everyone effected by last night.

It's sad to think I'm 40 years old and my whole life people have been plotting, planting and exploding bombs around the country I live in. But I'll tell you, I have tickets for a gig in Manchester on Saturday night and if any terrorist group thinks they can scare me or my fellow Brits into fear and submission then they haven't got a clue.

Meadows

Banned

Manchester isn't very touristy. There aren't many monuments or world-famous attractions. There aren't really any tour buses. The main shopping centre is a bit of an eyesore on the outside. And it has a reputation for being rainy.

I lived there for about four years and I fell in love with it. Gritty around the edges but cool as you like. The history, the architecture, the buzz, the regeneration, the culture, the swagger, the underdog spirit... it's smaller than London and has always had to fight politicians in the capital for funding and services - and yet it somehow pulls it off.

I loved it there and I miss it. I live in London now but my hope is that I can move back to Manchester in a few years, buy a house and settle down there.

I'm always a little wary to recommend it to visitors because I rave about it yet I realise the reality, upon first glance, looks like a large regional British city (mid-sized at most by world standards) that was first and foremost an industrial city. It's a bit tatty, Piccadilly Gardens and the Arndale Centre feel more 'provincial town' than 'European city', and it's not got the famous museums or attractions of London.

But if make a bit of effort, you'll find the world's first industrial city, the site of the world's first intercity railway, the place where the atom was first split, where the leader of the Suffragettes was born and raised, the library corner where Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels started developing communism, the halls and buildings where early capitalists stood up for a big idea called 'free trade', the beautiful red-brick warehouses and mills that once drove between 65%-80% of the world's entire cotton industry, and much more besides.

Communism, capitalism, feminism, and industrialisation all have major roots in Manchester. And today it's a beautiful, diverse, and progressive city.

It may not be photogenic place like Paris or a museum maze like London but if you go in with the right level of expectations, are prepared to make a bit of effort, and are blessed with sunny weather, you'll find a place that changed the world.

Chips are dece too

I loved it there and I miss it. I live in London now but my hope is that I can move back to Manchester in a few years, buy a house and settle down there.

I'm always a little wary to recommend it to visitors because I rave about it yet I realise the reality, upon first glance, looks like a large regional British city (mid-sized at most by world standards) that was first and foremost an industrial city. It's a bit tatty, Piccadilly Gardens and the Arndale Centre feel more 'provincial town' than 'European city', and it's not got the famous museums or attractions of London.

But if make a bit of effort, you'll find the world's first industrial city, the site of the world's first intercity railway, the place where the atom was first split, where the leader of the Suffragettes was born and raised, the library corner where Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels started developing communism, the halls and buildings where early capitalists stood up for a big idea called 'free trade', the beautiful red-brick warehouses and mills that once drove between 65%-80% of the world's entire cotton industry, and much more besides.

Communism, capitalism, feminism, and industrialisation all have major roots in Manchester. And today it's a beautiful, diverse, and progressive city.

<3 <3 <3 <3

Thank you for sharing this.

Auctopus

I am so sick of this "rise up" mentality as if white men of the UK are oppressed in their lives. Disenfranchised, sure. But you're not fucking oppressed to the point that you need to "rise up".

Someone posted in the UK Poli-Gaf thread the other week, a video of Farage doing some private/public speech about the Tories delivering Brexit properly and said if they did it ineffciently, he would be "on the front line, in his khakis, rifle in hand".

Sick of it all, this shit is awful enough without these two oxygen thiefs inciting hate.

Top Bottom