• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

bunbun777

Just picked this up- loving it!

Heavy references- I think everything might be a reference actually- this game is pure win.

bridegur

I should also note that the game is actually funny. It's already made me laugh aloud once or twice. Everyone must buy this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
andymcc said:
you can switch your character when you load a save.

I know, but a Jack Frost with the name of a dog doesn't make sense.

theultimo said:
Anyone find out what the red key doors are for?

yeah. it seems like those special colored doors need keys you buy for 1,000.

one thing this game does different from Zelda is make you feel poor :(

TheSeks

Linkzg said:
yeah. it seems like those special colored doors need keys you buy for 1,000.

one thing this game does different from Zelda is make you feel poor :(

How are you supposed to push the blocks? I can't seemto figure out what they want in that part to continue further in the dungeon as none of the blocks move?

TheSeks said:
How are you supposed to push the blocks? I can't seemto figure out what they want in that part to continue further in the dungeon as none of the blocks move?
check the top part of the blocks. there are ones that aren't like the rest.

Volcynika said:
Do you unlock the ability to 'book' enemies and put them in the beastiary later in the game?

Some guy in the desert town is whining about a ring he wanted but got a book instead.
You find a ring in the third dungeon.
Give him the ring and he gives you the book. You have to hit the enemies with the book a random number of times to add them to the bestiary.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Some guy in the desert town is whining about a ring he wanted but got a book instead.
Give him the ring and he gives you the book. You have to hit the enemies with the book a random number of times to add them to the bestiary.

yeah, and I'm pretty sure
you need to do it on the bosses too :lol

TheSeks said:

top of the blocks should be different. ones you can push are in the shape of the PS3 d-pad.

Volcynika

PepsimanVsJoe said:

Do you hit them with a book as you say "KNOWLEDGE IS POWER"? Because that would be awesome. (Yeah I know you don't)

TheSeks

What is "Dr. Dic" a reference to? I know the
Dash Boot
reference is to Megaman, but not "Dr. Dic" itself.

Also I can't believe the ESRB let the "Don't get sucked into Dr. Dic's scheme" slide for a E rated game. :lol

TheSeks

theultimo said:
Well, I had fun refighting the first boss with the book so I could add him to the beastary. The summary is worth it.

Waiiiit. Do you have to get this book before fighting the boss, or do you refight them later?

TheSeks

DMPrince said:
you can refight bosses anytime.

Okay, cool. I didn't want to screw myself out of the
All Bestiary Logged
achievement/trophy.

TheSeks said:
What is "Dr. Dic" a reference to? I know the
Dash Boot
reference is to Megaman, but not "Dr. Dic" itself.

Also I can't believe the ESRB let the "Don't get sucked into Dr. Dic's scheme" slide for a E rated game. :lol

yeah, I wonder if the a lot of this jokes just weren't understood. there is a house where
a woman offers you "something" for money, then the lights go out and there are arousal text. lights come back on and there is a big man who has been doing this stuff to you

TheSeks said:
Waiiiit. Do you have to get this book before fighting the boss, or do you refight them later?

The boss fight rooms have a switch that let you refight them.

TheSeks

Absoludacrous said:
I love the responses when you answer No

Yeah, the game is complete with "BUT THOU MUST!" which is pretty :D

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Just beat second dungeon, LOVE THIS GAME!

Hey, right at the start of the game, after you go downstairs in the castle, there's a guy in the room above with the tables I think. Where the lady talks about save points.

He said to me: "You got the slim!"

Does the game know I'm playing on my new Slim?
Anyone talk to him with a phat?

Zyzyxxz

I beat the tower defense game and only got 100G.

Is there anything else to it other than it being fun.

Fixed2BeBroken said:
my kakashi....
BrilordPlains.jpg

next, im going to make hitsu from bleach

Please upload?

Damn, I'm really tempted to buy this game. Still have FF13 and RE5 to finish, but this just reminds me of the fun I had with HMH (although they are quite different).

:lol Did anyone else catch the crazy bionic commando reference? I found it just after beating the 1ts dungeon while talking to someone.

Chorazin

Only got to the first dungeon last night, but wow is this game cool. Really love the fact that you can save anywhere, anytime!

Coming in today from Amazon, can't wait to jump in.

Can you change your character after you've already started a game? I'd like to create my own character, but I'd also like to jump into the actual game right away, so if I can start with a premade character and then change it later, that would be best.

Chorazin

JodyAnthony said:
Coming in today from Amazon, can't wait to jump in.

Can you change your character after you've already started a game? I'd like to create my own character, but I'd also like to jump into the actual game right away, so if I can start with a premade character and then change it later, that would be best.

Yup, when you continue it asks if you want to change your character.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
This game is so damn awesome! It hits all the right notes and feels like a perfect homage to the Zelda formula. It feels like a game caught between Zelda 1 and Zelda 3 in terms of mechanics and design.

The presentation definitely brings a lot to the table. Games looks and sounds fantastic. The musical score is just perfect! All media for this game has been shown with the "grid" enabled, though, and I actually think the game looks much better without it (it's not as if old pixel art games had thick borders between every pixel).

I always thought the sword swinging looked terrible in videos, for some reason, but it's actually very satisfying to use. Perhaps it is the result of the sound effects and the way enemies explode that does the trick? I dunno, but it feels great.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Would those that have started playing say that nostalgia is a key to enjoying this game? Would you say that the game design and gameplay stand on their own and the dialog is compelling even if you were not a big 8-bit or 16-bit adventurer?

DenogginizerOS said:
Would those that have started playing say that nostalgia is a key to enjoying this game? Would you say that the game design and gameplay stand on their own and the dialog is compelling even if you were not a big 8-bit or 16-bit adventurer?

I think It is an enjoyable game on its own. It does give me a great feeling of nostalgia, but I think people will enjoy it if they dint play older 8/16bit games

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think this is a good thing for the younger crowd to see how older action RPG's played. As Dark pointed out, it captures that Zelda feel so well (in a good way). The charm is oozing. I understand why a game like this would score in the 7's BUT bare in mind that it's not doing anything super inventive. That doesn't mean that it's not an engaging old school trip with solid and fun game play. It's simple but that's what many great/fun games are. Do not be detered, especially for the low price. I'm going to try the game with the grid off but I like the blocky look that is represented with it on. Music is as great as anticipated. This is obviously not going to give the FF13's a run for it's money on the epic scale but it certainly is as engaging and more fun.

Meohsix

strange question, but does this game not have a XMB splash screen?
when it loads up the disc icon changes to a 3d dot heroes icon but the XMB wallpaper doesn't change

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
George said:
strange question, but does this game not have a XMB splash screen?
when it loads up the disc icon changes to a 3d dot heroes icon but the XMB wallpaper doesn't change
No, would be nice but no big deal.

Chorazin

Anyone else turn on the loading splash screens? Love seeing them, even if they are only up a few seconds since I installed it.

Top Bottom