• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

eXistor

I'm gonna have to wait about a week for it to arrive (it shipped today). It's supposed to be out in Europe as well, but I doubt I'll be able to find it anywhere near me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Linkzg said:
the little things people say in this game are funny. this one person says "I got this demons game. wanna trade? it's too hard!" lol

I've tried making a character but it seems hard. And the look is fantastic except for the blurring and stuff. I wish you could turn that off.

The character editor isn't bad. It's a pixel editor but made in 3D. Right stick rotates the "view"/3D space. D-pad moves the "pixel." It takes a bit of work and I'm not creative enough to put in the effort but it's actually easy to use IMO.

I started with "Poochi"/the dog in the default selections. Kinda hilarious to see him use the huge ass sword at the start. :lol

The game is oozing with style. The aformentioned line and throwbacks to Zelda "It's Dangerous to Go Alone! Take this!" along with the art-style.

Kinda reminds me Legos in 3D, though. :lol

I'm enjoying this. And I haven't noticed any blurring with the default camera with the exception of the "spin attack" which is intentional (the grey "whoosh" animation). But I'm not as anal about image quality as some of GAF, so maybe I'm just blind about it. :lol

Picked it up on my dinner break. Only got to play about 20 minutes before heading back to work, but this seems awesome. I didn't really mess with the editor, save for doing a palette swap to green on the FRUM default to make him look like Link. I did spot the President of the United States in the default templates though:lol

I can't wait to get home from work tonight. It's too bad it's election night. I'll probably be stuck in the office really, really late.

BeeDog

Zavvi shipped my copy earlier today, woo. On a side note, has any Swede ever received a shipment from Zavvi faster than two weeks?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
straight pimpiiiiiiiin'
IMG_0179.jpg

Played about 20 mins and I love it. Just used the default character Frum for now, but I'm gonna try and make my own. Also, switch to camera b for less blur, and a more old school view.

theultimo

Wow, they even thew in Megaman references, this game has a lot of throwbacks.

Did Dungeon 1, nice tutorial, how do you get the key for the one room I can't get in?

EDIT: an Earthbound reference!!

TheSeks said:
The character editor isn't bad. It's a pixel editor but made in 3D. Right stick rotates the "view"/3D space. D-pad moves the "pixel." It takes a bit of work and I'm not creative enough to put in the effort but it's actually easy to use IMO.

I started with "Poochi"/the dog in the default selections. Kinda hilarious to see him use the huge ass sword at the start. :lol

The game is oozing with style. The aformentioned line and throwbacks to Zelda "It's Dangerous to Go Alone! Take this!" along with the art-style.

Kinda reminds me Legos in 3D, though. :lol

I'm enjoying this. And I haven't noticed any blurring with the default camera with the exception of the "spin attack" which is intentional (the grey "whoosh" animation). But I'm not as anal about image quality as some of GAF, so maybe I'm just blind about it. :lol

It just works a bit differently than I expected. I thought it would be the d-pad would control the X and Y axis (forward, back, left right) while two should buttons would be control the Z axis. I don't like that the camera changes what is moved. I'll get used to it.

I downloaded a character made in the Japanese version and my PS3 still grouped it with my English NA files.

I was able to load the character into the NA version of the game! :D

dallow_bg

nods at old men
MvmntInGrn said:
I downloaded a character made in the Japanese version and my PS3 still grouped it with my English NA files.

Good to know!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
eXistor said:
I'm gonna have to wait about a week for it to arrive (it shipped today). It's supposed to be out in Europe as well, but I doubt I'll be able to find it anywhere near me.

Uhm, no, the EU release date is the 14th (Friday). Just two more days to get through (I'm in Sweden)!

Thankfully, European release dates always mean that's the day you can walk into a store and pick the game up (and if you pre-order it online, you often even get it a day or two early). None of this ship/street date confusion you Americans have to deal with.

MvmntInGrn said:

Does anyone have a link to the version of LINK that came on the Japanese Bonus Disc?

Can't wait to get this. Hopefully a retailer near me will have it in sometime this week.

I'm going to try and make a character that looks like Jak from Jak and Daxter.

WOOHOO it's time!
So how do we share character files, I want to try out all the cool ones people make.
I suck at making them so I don't know if I'm going to spend time on it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I got off work about half an hour ago, went to Gamestop on a whim, and they had non-reserve copies for sale :D

Johnas

I'm forcing myself to finish Uncharted 2 before starting this (on Chapter 22 atm). I can't wait to dive into this game.

Anyone know what is up with those Red doors in dungeons? I complete two so far and I haven't found the key to open them. Am I not supposed to yet?

bone_and_sinew said:
I got off work about half an hour ago, went to Gamestop on a whim, and they had non-reserve copies for sale :D

Truly sad state of affairs when a game store having a new game in stock would surprise someone.

DMPrince said:
Best Buy was sold out so i picked it up at gamestop. Have to use the $25 Coupons for RDR then.
I doubt Best Buy was sold out (no matter what they told you). The more likely explanation is they haven't gotten it in yet. There were no copies at my Best Buy either, so I ended up getting it from GS too.

DaBargainHunta said:
I doubt Best Buy was sold out (no matter what they told you). The more likely explanation is they haven't gotten it in yet. There were no copies at my Best Buy either, so I ended up getting it from GS too.
no they got it in. they just sold out.

DMPrince said:
no they got it in. they just sold out.
Perhaps that was the case in your location (though I doubt it), but I strongly suspect they just haven't gotten it in yet.

Case in point:

Lambtron said:
I went to Best Buy at lunch. They had 0 in stock and 0 en route but 18 were listed as ordered. I will use my $20 credit from Red Dead Redemption and order this from Amazon next week. I will be patient. :)

Chris R

Well they probably only ordered like 10 copies, and not the 100+ they would for a typical big release game. I WANT TO PLAY THIS NOW :(

oh well. i got the game. that's all that matters now. :lol

I turned the grid off. Unsure if i liked the game with the grid or not. will play some more with it off.

Top Bottom