• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

depths20XX

Really loving the music in this game. Especially the tune in the first dungeon.

I'm not sure if anyone has said or not, but I thought I heard something of a New Game+ mode?

I haven't jumped in to my copy yet, but after tinkering with the online character creation, I'll probably just use a preset. It's a very intricate process and I must not be that great at imagining pixelation in 3D. I forget, are there community uploads of characters that people can download?

Volcynika

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I haven't jumped in to my copy yet, but after tinkering with the online character creation, I'll probably just use a preset. It's a very intricate process and I must not be that great at imagining pixelation in 3D. I forget, are there community uploads of characters that people can download?

Hall of Heroes. Don't have the link onhand, but should be easy to find.

Past dungeon 5.
Only thing that really bugs me at the moment is the framerate. It can get real bad in the dungeons at times.

I turned in 20 small blocks to some king and got an Excalibur. It's pretty freakin strong.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Past dungeon 5.
Only thing that really bugs me at the moment is the framerate. It can get real bad in the dungeons at times.

I turned in 20 small blocks to some king and got an Excalibur. It's pretty freakin strong.
Is it possible that only certain things slowdown? Like certain effects/animations?

I can't help but feel like the slowdown in dungeons isn't effecting everything on screen, only certain things.

Coverly

pedoscreen21.jpg

BrilordPlains1.jpg

I'd like to do Billy Mays next but I don't have the skill. Maybe Totoro.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, I don't get this at all. I was really hoping they would hit 60 fps, but it can't even hold 30 fps at all times. For a game emulating a retro title, a low framerate definitely takes its toll on the overall feel of the game.

Yeesh. Sword is at the point now where I just walk into a room, spin around, and everything dies. Not sure how I feel about this cause one of my favorite aspects of Zelda 1 was the melee combat.

I heard something about the bosses scaling in difficulty depending on equipment. Hopefully that's a lie cause I want some easy peasy no-hit trophies.

eXistor

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeesh. Sword is at the point now where I just walk into a room, spin around, and everything dies. Not sure how I feel about this cause one of my favorite aspects of Zelda 1 was the melee combat.

I heard something about the bosses scaling in difficulty depending on equipment. Hopefully that's a lie cause I want some easy peasy no-hit trophies.
That's too bad, I really don't want this to be a easy game. It's made for fans of Zelda 1 and the like, we're used to these things being hard.

Mest30

Banned
Man I'm fucking pissed. Should have preordered this one. Game Stop was sold out, Best Buy's shipment isn't coming until Saturday and Walmart and Target never heard of the game. WTF!

theultimo

PepsimanVsJoe said:

From qhat I've heard, you'll like the
Splunker
mode. There is 1 trophy for it.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Mest30 said:
Man I'm fucking pissed. Should have preordered this one. Game Stop was sold out, Best Buy's shipment isn't coming until Saturday and Walmart and Target never heard of the game. WTF!

And Amazon raised their price $3 :(

theultimo

darkjedi187 said:
Can anyone who has it help me out. How do you get to the 3rd dungeon. Thanks
This one stumped me as well until I found the path. Go left from the castle, and enter the desert, loop around and go up to the grass area. you should see a sign on the right saying Nutria Desert with grappling lines. However, there is a path hidden there as well.

Glix

Had some time to start and get through the first dungeon last night. Love the game.

I think it looks 100000x more like a 3d version of an 8/16 bit game with the grid overlay off. The grid creates a neat style, but I LOVE it with the grid off.

Anyone with me?

My only other gripe is the LEGO-esque tops to the walls in dungeons. There is nothing 8/16 bit about that, and I think it looks stupid and makes it look like a Lego game, which this is NOT supposed to be.

Besides that, I am totally loving this game.

eznark

Banned
Just picked it up, stoked to dive in!

Is it possible to trade created heroes? I'm hoping someone with a lot more talent than me made a baseball player.

Baha

Glix said:
Had some time to start and get through the first dungeon last night. Love the game.

I think it looks 100000x more like a 3d version of an 8/16 bit game with the grid overlay off. The grid creates a neat style, but I LOVE it with the grid off.

Anyone with me?

My only other gripe is the LEGO-esque tops to the walls in dungeons. There is nothing 8/16 bit about that, and I think it looks stupid and makes it look like a Lego game, which this is NOT supposed to be.

I think they're like that so you know which blocks are pushable by the shape on top of the block.

Enk

makes good threads.
depths20XX said:
There should be a mode where your sword isn't freaking huge when you have full health.

Um, it's called wood sword mode. That's why it's there in your inventory.

depths20XX

Enk said:
Um, it's called wood sword mode. That's why it's there in your inventory.

That would work but I don't believe the damage can be upgraded on the wood sword. So that's more akin to playing through SOTN with a rusty sword.

depths20XX said:
That would work but I don't believe the damage can be upgraded on the wood sword. So that's more akin to playing through SOTN with a rusty sword.

Well from what I've heard(haven't bothered to test) bosses scale depending on your sword so they should take a reasonable number of hits to kill even if you're sporting wood. Regular enemies never take that many hits to kill either. Plus you can always get lucky with a critical hit that'll wipe them out instantly.

If you're that worried there's many different weapons of various sizes, ranges, and lengths. A gladius might be a good fit for you as it's short as all hell and does heavy damage. I forgot how I got it though.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Glix said:

Anyone with me?

Based on what a few people have said, Grid Off seems like it looks good.
I'll try it tonight.

depths20XX

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well from what I've heard(haven't bothered to test) bosses scale depending on your sword so they should take a reasonable number of hits to kill even if you're sporting wood. Regular enemies never take that many hits to kill either. Plus you can always get lucky with a critical hit that'll wipe them out instantly.

If you're that worried there's many different weapons of various sizes, ranges, and lengths. A gladius might be a good fit for you as it's short as all hell and does heavy damage. I forgot how I got it though.

Yeah I'm just gonna shut up and play the game. I only have 2 swords, didn't know there were other shorter ones.

Flib

MetatronM said:
Got mine yesterday at Videogamesnewyork on 6 St. $29.99. :D

Oh, they finally got it in? I'll stop by them today then. Tried a bunch of other stores in the meantime with no luck.

What camera angle are you guys using? I like the default because it shows off the great graphics, but the old school overhead seems like it might be more practical.

Anyone else liking Block Defense? At first I was like "Oh god Tower Defense please cut off my dick so I can bleed to death instead" but turns out I enjoyed the hell out of it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
GillianSeed79 said:
What camera angle are you guys using? I like the default because it shows off the great graphics, but the old school overhead seems like it might be more practical.
Default is too close for me, and hard to see enemies "below" you.

Camera angle B is just right for me.
C is really topdown, but B shows off the enviroments just a bit more.

theultimo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Anyone else liking Block Defense? At first I was like "Oh god Tower Defense please cut off my dick so I can bleed to death instead" but turns out I enjoyed the hell out of it.
yea. its a good rendition of it, remind me of zotar TD.

Bored at work, did a 16x16 pixel drawing of my character-to-be in MS Paint, blew it up by 800% and added outlines to the pixels.

BEHOLD MY SCHOLAR, MAXWELL

2ih4cwy.jpg

Shit's gonna look so damned awesome with his spell book in hand.

Top Bottom