• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

Mejilan said:
Tried that. Just figured it out.
Apparently if you have an arcade stick plugged in, that defaults to controller #1 upon boot up. My Dual Shock 3, then, was defaulting to controller #2, and this game doesn't like that very much. Annoying. Didn't have this problem with Nier.

There are a whole lot of games this will happen with. Did you just recently start keeping the stick plugged in?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Holy shit. I'm not sure what's worse. The music, the graphics, or the dated feel of the combat. Hoping this game grows on me.

First areas have had something like half a dozen classic Dragon Quest nods so far. That had me chuckling. Intro reminded me of Wind Waker, of all things.

Valkyr Junkie said:
There are a whole lot of games this will happen with. Did you just recently start keeping the stick plugged in?

First time with an arcade stick since the SNES days. Yep.

vocab

Haunted said:
:lol awesome, thanks.

:eek:

I just ordered this thing 15 minutes ago, don't make me feel bad now!

Dude is on some serious drugs. The music is fantastic (seriously it nails the eerie feeling of the 8bit days), the graphics are hilarious, and the combat is fine. The game is very self aware that it's using mechanics of the old days.

linkboy

I just picked this up at my local Play N Trade, won't get to really delve into it until this weekend though, since I'm literally getting my ass kicked by the Air Force training I'm going through (ALS for those in the Air Force).

I'm playing as Link, that's a definite.

Gattsu25

Banned
The *very* first thing I did was move the text speed to the fastest. That was some slow fucking text.

Next thing was I moved the color to the highest. Game looks awesome this way. When I stepped outside and saw how colorful the scenery was...

vocab

Gattsu25 said:
The *very* first thing I did was move the text speed to the fastest. That was some slow fucking text.

Next thing was I moved the color to the highest. Game looks awesome this way. When I stepped outside and saw how colorful the scenery was...

I bumped the text speed up a little bit, but the color on max seems crazy. The desert is piss yellow. :lol

I stopped after beating dungeon 3 and I'm searching out the entire map. I've been at it for a few hours and I've found all kind of great stuff including a super sword (holy I think) that is soo much better than the hero sword it's insane. I found all of the signs as well and the beast book. I could only beat the stone golem without getting hit.

theultimo

Square Triangle said:
Okay well I've Google'd the shit and its no help. How do I get the book in order to start "booking" these monsters?
In Dungeon 3 ( desert temple) you will find a small ring. take that small ring to the town above the desert to a guy in the town who will trade it for the book
Also, Dungeon 5 is like the Eagle Tower in Links Awakening, a ton of backtracking argh.

vocab

Square Triangle said:
Okay well I've Google'd the shit and its no help. How do I get the book in order to start "booking" these monsters?

Have you been talking to everyone you meet? It's obvious who you get it from.

So I got the game today and I've beaten the first two dungeons and spent a lot of time messing around/exploring. I went to one of the wells and popped 20G into it and it gave me a Tent. The thing costs 2000G at the shop. So now I can basically have a free inn wherever and whenever I want. Am I basically invincible from now on?

HappyBivouac said:
So I got the game today and I've beaten the first two dungeons and spent a lot of time messing around/exploring. I went to one of the wells and popped 20G into it and it gave me a Tent. The thing costs 2000G at the shop. So now I can basically have a free inn wherever and whenever I want. Am I basically invincible from now on?

Well you can't use the Tent if enemies are nearby and you can't use it in dungeons.
You're not invincible yet I'm afraid.

I popped it in for about 30 minutes tonight and wow, I love it. I love the music, the graphics :)lol) and the gameplay. So far I have beaten the 1st dungeon. People keep saying there are tons of DQ references at the beginning and sadly, I have never played ANY of them. Because of this, I am thinking about playing through the first 4 DQ games before going any farther in 3D Dot Game Heroes.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Well you can't use the Tent if enemies are nearby and you can't use it in dungeons.
You're not invincible yet I'm afraid.

I was using it in the field with enemies right nearby.

But yeah, I meant aside from dungeons.

The one thing that bugs me is all the dungeons so far (3) all look the same. Really? They couldn't at least change the color of the walls? They're suuposed to be zelda knockoffs but even the first zelda had different colors.

Because of this, I am thinking about playing through the first 4 DQ games before going any farther in 3D Dot Game Heroes.

that would be a ridiculously dumb thing to do. the references add nothing to the game, except maybe a 1 second chuckle here and there.

theultimo

Big Papa Husker said:
I popped it in for about 30 minutes tonight and wow, I love it. I love the music, the graphics :)lol) and the gameplay. So far I have beaten the 1st dungeon. People keep saying there are tons of DQ references at the beginning and sadly, I have never played ANY of them. Because of this, I am thinking about playing through the first 4 DQ games before going any farther in 3D Dot Game Heroes.
All they add are chuckles here and there. For instance: the load save music is an almost replica of DQ1-4. Besides, I don't think you would make it through a 4 DQ game in a row without hanging yourself with the difficulty spikes (unless you are playing the DS ones) :p

Some of the references are just a pain in the ass.
For example I did a sidequest where some girl rewards me with a ribbon. She's all "Well I dunno what it does..maybe protects from disease or poison?" So I figure "Well okay I'll go check out that poisonous bog." After dying the realization hits me over the head like a ton of bricks.

theultimo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Some of the references are just a pain in the ass.
For example I did a sidequest where some girl rewards me with a ribbon. She's all "Well I dunno what it does..maybe protects from disease or poison?" So I figure "Well okay I'll go check out that poisonous bog." After dying the realization hits me over the head like a ton of bricks.
Yeah, like the Ultima Book, which you can't use because you don't have 99 MP.

Edit: DUNGEON 5 DONE. GOD I HATE THAT DUNGEON ARRGH STUPID BUTTON PUZZLES

Brashnir

Started in on this today. Only had time to run through the first dungeon, but so far it's been everything I was hoping it would be. Funny, self-aware, and combining throwback design with modern contrivances.

Mejilan said:
Holy shit. I'm not sure what's worse. The music, the graphics, or the dated feel of the combat. Hoping this game grows on me.

I don't see how a person can complain about the graphics. I mean, you did look at at least one screenshot of the game before buying it, right? And if the music and mechanics didn't match the game's look, I'd consider it a disappointment. I have to question why a person would even buy this game if they were going to complain about that stuff.

I don't understand complaints about graphics and music.
Sure back in the 80s all we had to go on were screenshots and the occasional demo unit at Wal-mart but nowadays in five minutes we can find entire playthroughs of any game floating around on the internet. If that isn't a good enough indicator on whether or not somebody will like the graphics and sound there's really nothing I can say. Heck one could even get a decent idea of how a game plays through viewing enough footage.

theultimo said:
Its based on hits....a ton though, like 50-60 on the final form i think.

...shit! what do you mean final form? I just start smacking it with a book as it starts.

my plan is probably going to be buying potions and spending a lot of time carefully doing it. It's tough.

theultimo

Linkzg said:
...shit! what do you mean final form? I just start smacking it with a book as it starts.

my plan is probably going to be buying potions and spending a lot of time carefully doing it. It's tough.
I was thinking third boss, I think I did it with 30-40 hits on the Bee.

And the cheapest potions I've seen is Fila Inn, for 120G for a Red one.

legbone

theultimo said:
I was thinking third boss, I think I did it with 30-40 hits on the Bee.

And the cheapest potions I've seen is Fila Inn, for 120G for a Red one.

i thought i saw some red potions for 80g somewhere. something cost me 80g that i was saving for last night. could've sworn it was a red potion.

I'm very pleased at Atlus' support for this game already with the "Hall of Heroes" custom downloads on the 3DDGH site...

But only around 7 of them are showing up for me, is that all that's up so far or am I looking in the wrong place?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
akachan ningen said:
Does the bestiary work better if you soften up enemies with the sword first?
I just got that tonight but it seems like if you hit them first, you can't book them anymore.
Has to be only book hits.

I could be wrong but it wasn't working for me if I attacked first.

NichM

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
I'm very pleased at Atlus' support for this game already with the "Hall of Heroes" custom downloads on the 3DDGH site...

But only around 7 of them are showing up for me, is that all that's up so far or am I looking in the wrong place?

It should be updated pretty soon with the first batch of player submissions.

bryehn

Totobeni said:
Nooooooooo , Why is this happening to me again ? I just got an email and because of the stupid Volcano in stupid Iceland the forward mailing service I use will not deliver the game to me this week ( Airspace Closed so till airports works again or something ) I thought this shit is over by now no ?

fuck volcanoes , fuck volcanic ash particles , fuck magma and fuck everything.

:(

2rer438.gif

Made a Kazuma Kiryu (from Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku series) custom hero. Based on the NES Link sprite, and it may need some work before I upload to the Hall of Heroes.

jetsetfluken said:
Made a Kazuma Kiryu (from Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku series) custom hero. Based on the NES Link sprite, and it may need some work before I upload to the Hall of Heroes.

:lol Thats pretty damn awesome. Good job. I was trying to make Billy or Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon but I really suck at using the edit feature. Somebody NEEDS to make a Travis Touchdown.

I also must say that I am digging this game very much and love the Demons Souls refrences.

There's gotta be a more sensible system for the Bestiary. Like maybe the hits are cumulative or there's some trick to getting the note in less hits. Cause really it's pretty insane.

Been playing around with the US version looking for differences from the JP version. Here's an updated list...

• JP software update that included install option, load screen gallery, etc. - YES, included on-disc
  • JP DLC Vol. 1 - YES, included on-disc
  • JP DLC Vol. 2 - YES, included, on-disc
  • JP DLC Vol. 3 - NO
  • JP DLC Vol. 4 - NO
  • Lots of new pre-made custom characters from Atlus - YES
  • From Software preorder bonus disc content that included a batch of pre-made characters, such as From Software's Link design - NO
  • Ability to download and use custom character files from the JP version - YES
  • Option to disable button guide display on HUD
  • Option to view loading screens even if you installed the game
  • When taking a picture, you can now switch between different camera angles and even "free camera"
  • Bestiary and loading art categories on start menu
  • Now when viewing the world map (L1), you can simply select where you want to warp to if you have a Wing item, instead of having to go to the menu and selecting it from a text list
  • Shield invisibility code - Pause the game with Start, then press up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, square, triangle, you should hear a sound (doing the code again makes the shield visible again). Even though you don't see the shield, it's still there and you can use it to deflect things. Put the code in again to make it appear. (this was actually also in the JP version)
  • "From Difficulty" (hard mode) has been made even harder in the US version - not only do enemies cause more damage, but there is now much more enemies in the overworld/dungeon rooms

btw, anyone have the Wario download from this post? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21226087&postcount=415

Top Bottom