• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

Volcynika

LALILULELO said:
Made my own "Hero" today who else than the Witch of Vigrid

3D dot Bayonetta to kick ass Retro style..

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/wanneghek/BrilordBayonetta.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/wanneghek/BrilordBayonetta2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/wanneghek/BrilordBayonetta3.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

You, sir. Are AWESOME.

Grampasso

WTF, this game here in Italy (ROME) doesn't exist at all... Gamestop, Trony, they don't even know about the EXISTENCE of this game -.- They look at me like an alien when I ask them to check if it's scheduled to ship anytime soon ç_ç

Pucc

Banned
Grampasso said:
WTF, this game here in Italy (ROME) doesn't exist at all... Gamestop, Trony, they don't even know about the EXISTENCE of this game -.- They look at me like an alien when I ask them to check if it's scheduled to ship anytime soon ç_ç
--- here ---

Adamm

Sigh....

Went to GAME and it was £39.99, I told them it was £29.99 everywhere, even on their own website - but no, apparently its £39.99.

So i then went to Gamestop, HMV, Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys & PC World and none of them have it?
Why is this game so hard to find?

So now im going to have to order it online and probably wait to Tuesday before i can play it!
This is why people don't shop in the real world any more :(

Just started playing it last night and completed the first dungeon. Really loving the game so far. It just oozes charm and it plays really nicely. Really like the added advantage of trying to stay full health for a max sword.

The trophies sure were coming thick and fast too. I got 10% after an hours play. Managed to "perfect" the boss too so I got a trophy for that. Though he was easy.

The create a charcter looked kinda difficult to get to grips with, so I may have an attempt when I have lots of spare time but for now I'm just playing as the default hero.

BTW if I make a hero now can I have him play in an already started adventure?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
JoeFu said:
I don't get how you're doing so bad at it. I got 32 seconds my first try and got around 24 my second finish. You can't slow down on purpose you have to go as long as you can without crashing because everytime you turn you gain speed. You can crash on the 2nd lap around the trees and still finish under 20 seconds.

Lap 1:

Up, left, up, left, dow--crash, dow--crash, dow--crash

Or, hell: Up, left, up, left, down, right--crash, dow-crash, dow-crash.

Even if I get past the trees (or stop myself to get around the trees slowly):

Up, left, up, down, right, down STAIRS!--Crash. STAIRS!--CRASH. STAIRS!--Crash

Issue is those stupid trees, the hit-detection on the avatars, and the fucking stairs down.

Up, left, up, left--right (HALT!)

Walk down, walk right, walk down/left smack second tree so I'm lined up with stairs. DASH! Down, right, up, left, up, left--right (HALT!)

rinse and repeat for three laps and it still doesn't give me more than 27 seconds even though I'm stopped for nothing more than five seconds. AND THAT'S DOING IT PERFECT.

I generally crash five damn times at the trees due to the stupid split-second course change.

*HATE HATE HATE* this mini-game, and it being required for platinum.

Azrael

This game has locked up on me twice now. The second time was just after I completed the desert temple and wiped out over an hour of progress =/. Need to save constantly for this game.

Azrael said:
This game has locked up on me twice now. The second time was just after I completed the desert temple and wiped out over an hour of progress =/. Need to save constantly for this game.

I was hoping they'd fix this for the US version, it's a real shame they didn't. I quit playing the Japanese version because it froze on me a few times. Having a save-anywhere option is nice, but those freezes still cost me a lot of "do over" time, and after awhile I just had enough and moved on to other games. It's not fun playing a game when you're constantly worried it's going to freeze on you.

Azrael said:
does it happen during the load screen?

Azrael

DMPrince said:
does it happen during the load screen?

The first time it happened was on the field right after slashing some weeds. The second time was while changing rooms in a dungeon. The music loaded but the screen stayed black.

HappyBivouac said:
so do
up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, square, traingle
and the other one actually DO anything?
The one you just listed makes you shield invisible. It's perfect for the car or tank or anything lese that shouldn't be holding a shield.

TheSeks

HappyBivouac said:
so do
up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, square, traingle
and the other one actually DO anything?

Turf off shield.
Turn off walk sway.

Yazuka

Hehe, I tried my luck with making some characters. KOS-MOS from Xenosaga and Silent Bob! More pictures here.
And sorry for megaupload files, hope its good.

kos-mos001.jpg

KOS-MOS: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=75S0R04N

silentbob004.jpg

Silent Bob: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EQRUA7LB

Ugh. I got this game release day and only got to play 20 minutes. As luck would have it a giant abcess developed on my arm the next day that is going to require surgery to remove Monday. It hurts like a bitch to try do anything with my arm. The pain killers the doctor gave me help, but I'm too drozy to play anything when I'm on them.

Anemone

Neo Member
I don't know if it's obvious, if I've been beaten to it, or if anyone even cares, but the game works great with a Saturn USB controller.

Sorry guys I slightly jumped the gun... in the minigames you need to press select to restart them. Soooo, aside from restarting minigames it works perfectly. (Not really an issue unless you're the sort to make it one.)

Johnas

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'll save everyone the trouble of reading it though by saying that while I got some enjoyment out of the game I ultimately don't like it and consider it a waste of time.

I'm only halfway through the game at this point, but so far I agree with your review.

I'll finish it I'm sure, but overall I find this game to be pretty bland. It's certainly not on par with any Zelda I've played, especially the original.

ChryZ

Anemone said:
I don't know if it's obvious, if I've been beaten to it, or if anyone even cares, but the game works great with a Saturn USB controller.
I care, that's awesome news! Still waiting for my copy though :(

I'm really hoping somebody makes a Metal Gear Rex it'll be perfect since it's blocky. I have no artistic ability but I'll try after I beat the game.

I spent most of my time exploring.
Really loving this game.

Luck mallet with special maxed makes money a non issue. 10 gold per hit!

Anemone said:

Still need to get one of those, I'm currently using a SFIV MadCatz Fightpad.

D-pad a lot better than the Dualshock3 for this type of game because of all the d-pad diagonal movement you need to do gets tiring on a DS3.

protonion

Finished it in 12 hours. 4 of them in the last 2 super long dungeons. I missed most of the quests though and my sword page is almost empty... I'll begin my perfect playthrough in a few days.
I also got seriously stuck because a must get item
the long hookshot
was unbelievably well hidden. I had to use a guide and was like WTF how could anyone find it?

Overall a very enjoyable old school experience. Visually charming, great music and very funny at times.

tip: Do not leave a dungeon if you haven't explored it fully(except for the coloured doors).You will regret it later...

How do you book a monster?

And how do you get into the coloured locked doors in dungeons?

Just done Dungeon 3 which was much, much harder than the previous ones. Boss was a little bit tough, took me a few attempts to kill him.

protonion

Katana_Strikes said:
How do you book a monster?

And how do you get into the coloured locked doors in dungeons?

Just done Dungeon 3 which was much, much harder than the previous ones. Boss was a little bit tough, took me a few attempts to kill him.

Just hit them with the book -
you get it when you give the ring to a girl in the desert town
. Each enemy must be hit a certain number of times.

You need coloured keys which can be bought later...
or the super key which you get when you complete the signs quest

Great thanks. Least I haven't missed anything.

Must say one thing I'm started to dislike though is the main music theme for most of the outside world starts to grate.

npm0925

Played for 2 hours and completed the grass temple only to have my game crash when exiting the dungeon. Since I have to replay everything up to that point, will I lose out on anything later in the game by not repeating all of the dialog and whatnot?

CraigMcD

Adamm said:
Sigh....

Went to GAME and it was £39.99, I told them it was £29.99 everywhere, even on their own website - but no, apparently its £39.99.

So i then went to Gamestop, HMV, Tesco, Asda, Sainsburys & PC World and none of them have it?
Why is this game so hard to find?

So now im going to have to order it online and probably wait to Tuesday before i can play it!
This is why people don't shop in the real world any more :(
Asda have it for £25. Annoyingly, it's kept in the budget section instead of the chart section.

Ryn

Dungeon 5 is kicking my ass :[

Stupid yellow/blue squishy-looking-enemy-things that drain everything and leave me with half a heart left after bumping into them once. I think I got everything except if there's a special weapon, whatever is behind the green door and the room above it, there's a room with a blue/red switch changer, but whichever way I flip it I cannot reach the far left door because the corridors are blocked off by 2 blue blocks (far left and far right) and then 1 red block (middle). Is there some stupid little trick I'm missing here?

protonion

Ryn said:

Stupid yellow/blue squishy-looking-enemy-things that drain everything and leave me with half a heart left after bumping into them once. I think I got everything except if there's a special weapon, whatever is behind the green door and the room above it, there's a room with a blue/red switch changer, but whichever way I flip it I cannot reach the far left door because the corridors are blocked off by 2 blue blocks (far left and far right) and then 1 red block (middle). Is there some stupid little trick I'm missing here?

Red blocks must be up. You can walk right below them! Do not leave without that treasure.

Ryn said:

I went in with a upgraded HOLY sword w lvl 6 length and width and a bit of extra power. I took three red potions with me and just tried to waste everything in the room from the doorway. I got through almost the whole thing but got clipped and died late. I healed and went by a second time and managed to finish it off.

MercuryLS

Banned
I haven't followed this game at all, I've checked out a few reviews and it seems really cool. So what's GAF's consensus? Worth it?

mr.beers

protonion said:
Red blocks must be up. You can walk right below them! Do not leave without that treasure.

I went all the way to the entrance to the 6th dungeon and realized I didn't have this item also I did not go under the red ones I thought I was blocked off the camera angle, for that is not right. Thanks for the help even though I did not ask the question!

patsu

The character selection screen seems to imply different character classes (e.g., Hero, Royal). Do they make any difference at all ?

Johnas

MercuryLS said:
I haven't followed this game at all, I've checked out a few reviews and it seems really cool. So what's GAF's consensus? Worth it?

Seems like more people are enjoying it than not.

I posted up the page that I wasn't that into it, but I like it a little better today after getting in a good long session and completing two dungeons. I like the overworld more than the dungeons so far, and about half of the music is catchy while the other half isn't quite so memorable.

Honestly I'm not particularly impressed with the graphics, the dungeons in particular just do not look good to me. I still think the water looks weird.

A huge plus I can give is that it is indeed very gameplay-focused, just like titles of old. It's not terribly difficult so far, I've died maybe four times.

LALILULELO said:
Made my own "Hero" today who else than the Witch of Vigrid

3D dot Bayonetta to kick ass Retro style..

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/wanneghek/BrilordBayonetta.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/wanneghek/BrilordBayonetta2.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/wanneghek/BrilordBayonetta3.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Please share, where can I download this awesomeness?!

TheSeks

MercuryLS said:

If you want a hack-slash a la Zelda, yes.

But the trophies are a bit of a bitch to get, notably the sword one requiring you to ace/perfect the stupid goddamn hard mini-games. :| If you're a trophy whore that's OCD about 100%'s you might want to skip this game.

I finished the second Block dash today at freaking 57 seconds!

I did a little above 60 like freaking 10 times. That mini game sure is hard but not as frustrating to me. There was one lap I was zooming past the tree spot at full speed and did a full lap but all hell went loose after that lap and got 60.02.

Top Bottom