• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D DOT GAME HEROES |OT|! Once upon a time in 8-bit....

Host Samurai said:
I would love to see Atlus do a spiritual successor to this but in a different classic genre like a 8bit platformer, beat em up or even SHMUP.
I was thinking instead on an action adventure that looks like Dragon Quest, the next one needs to be a turn based rpg that looks like zelda.

protonion

Katana_Strikes said:
I need a longer grappling hook for dungeon 4. Where is it?

It is very well hidden in the overworld. The only thing in the game I used a guide for. You do not need it for the dungeon though...

spats

Got the game today and loving it a lot.

I attacked a chicken while in town and suddenly I got swarmed by a bunch of angry chickens, wtf is up with that? :lol

spats said:

I attacked a chicken while in town and suddenly I got swarmed by a bunch of angry chickens, wtf is up with that? :lol

You weren't alone, were you? It's dangerous to go alone.

spats said:

exact same thing used to happen in A link to the Party

Liberty4all

Banned
spats said:

I vaguely remember that "feature" being in an NES game ... maybe the original Zelda?

Regardless it's super old school <3

Bamelin said:
I vaguely remember that "feature" being in an NES game ... maybe the original Zelda?

Regardless it's super old school <3

it was link to the past on SNES. but yeah, very old reference there :lol

onken

BobTheFork said:
I was thinking instead on an action adventure that looks like Dragon Quest, the next one needs to be a turn based rpg that looks like zelda.

Yeeeeeeess, definitely a party-based RPG next.

BobTheFork said:

Actually that would be kick ass. Customizing your entire party would be a blast. There will be so many people trying to create the cast of Final Fantasy 6 :D.

Mest30 said:
For those of us who have not found it, where is it?

It's on the map just West of Jim's Shack (the Inn in the Northeast corner of the map). There's a part where rocks fall with some ridges in the mountain. Go to the 2nd ridge and you get teleported through the mountain. In this area there's a chest with it in.

I'm addicted to this game. So full of charm. Exploring is so much fun.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Qs

- I have 10 small blocks , should I buy a new Sword from the guy in the cave or I save them for Excalibur ( do other swords worth it or they just different in shape/colors ? )

- bought one of these $1000 Key went to the temple opened the door and it's just for an extra heart , should I buy the other keys or save my money for items ?

- there is no loading screen arts in the loading art option , why ?

- a man asked me to kill some Clouds , I did it , but I don't remember where the dude is now.

UFRA

Totobeni said:
Qs

- I have 10 small blocks , should I buy a new Sword from the guy in the cave or I save them for Excalibur ( do other swords worth it or they just different in shape/colors ? )

- bought one of these $1000 Key went to the temple opened the door and it's just for an extra heart , should I buy the other keys or save my money for items ?

- there is no loading screen arts in the loading art option , why ?

- a man asked me to kill some Clouds , I did it , but I don't remember where the dude is now.

1. http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/971481-3d-dot-game-heroes/faqs/59492?page=3#section161

2. I didn't waste any money on those keys. Instead, I went and found all 10 of Sir Signe's signs, and got the
Super Key which unlocks any of the red, blue, or green doors
. (use that GameFAQ to find all 10)

3.Not sure what you mean. If you have the loading screen art turned on in display options, every time you travel to a new location you should see the art show up.

4. No clue.

YAY! Just bested the dragon boss without taking damage. Boy he was a tough cookie. I'd just killed him after many, many attempts but I knew I was real close to being able to perfect him, so I went back and did it. So chuffed. Pleased I'm out if that Flame Temple now.

I'm wondering whether to save up for Excaliber too. I have 16 Blocks so I'm close. Bit peeved as I missed a small block. On my way to the Flame Temple there was this large Blue Dragon out in the field. I killed it but to get to the block he dropped hwas on the previous screen so going back the block wasn't there :(

Is this dragon a random encounter and he'll be back or have I messed up?

Xater

Ok I love this game.

I just met someone who asked me if I had 100G to spare and I said yes. Now in every other adventure I would have expected something like: "Oh thank you! Here take this!"

Well not the case in this game. Here the response is: "Thank you! Come back again later, I'll have your money!"

:lol

UFRA

Xater said:
Ok I love this game.

I just met someone who asked me if I had 100G to spare and I said yes. Now in every other adventure I would have expected something like: "Oh thank you! Here take this!"

Well not the case in this game. Here the response is: "Thank you! Come back again later, I'll have your money!"

:lol

lol You're in for a bigger surprise...that's just the beginning of that situation. :lol

Xater

UFRA said:
lol You're in for a bigger surprise...that's just the beginning of that situation. :lol

Awesome, can't wait to see how this will develop.

The game is super fun and the localization seems to be excellent. As somebody who grow up with old school Zelda, what is not to love?

BTW did you guys also crank up the colors? I like the more colorful look.

yamo

Hey, just got this game today and it's awesome! Anyone have the link to that page with lots of different characters to download? I'm to lazy searching through this whole thread for it!

edit: never mind, found it! :D

Cruzader

Banned
RoadHazard said:
Every time you load a save you get asked if you want to switch characters. So, no need to start the game over. You can't switch on the fly though, only when loading a save.
Thanx! Im glad its like that!!!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This game is infuriating the living shit out of me..

In dungeons, why is it that when you're low on life and need it, the piece of shit item drops for killing things is NEVER life. Its not funny, its not old school, its poor game design.

Then you're right the fuck back to the beginning of the dungeon again only to get only so far and have it happen all over again. Same thing with the damn green apples for magic refills too.

Im really close to walking away from this game after getting to dungeon 5....and i really dont want to, but damn....if you want to make the game hard, make it hard....but dont completely screw me over with cheap game design tactics though...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the second dash.
Trying to get under 60 seconds, so far it's 78. :(

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

In dungeons, why is it that when you're low on life and need it, the piece of shit item drops for killing things is NEVER life. Its not funny, its not old school, its poor game design.

Then you're right the fuck back to the beginning of the dungeon again only to get only so far and have it happen all over again. Same thing with the damn green apples for magic refills too.

Im really close to walking away from this game after getting to dungeon 5....and i really dont want to, but damn....if you want to make the game hard, make it hard....but dont completely screw me over with cheap game design tactics though...
Wow, the game is not that hard man....
If you keep getting low on health for some reason, then take bottles of red potion with you to fill up.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

I absolutely agree with you. Especially on the Fire Temple. If you die you have to basically traverse the whole dungeon just to get back to where you were. Not to mention the boss for that dungeon is fuckin' hard. I'm getting incredibly annoyed at it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
dallow_bg said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the second dash.
Trying to get under 60 seconds, so far it's 78. :(

I still can't beat the first one. Ugh.

Started this today and played about two hours. I think the game speaks volumes about how simplicity is the best form of game design. No catches, no billions of stats to sift through, no bullshit, no stupid plot - just pure joy.

bunbun777

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

I politely disagree with the claim of poor game design. Maybe in the context that the game expects you to take punishment- and then does not allow for health- but normal mode is easy compared to from and spelunker. One hit kills, one could say, put the question of appropriate health or backtracking in a different light.

Belfast

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

Lol. It's not poor game design. If/when you get the Bestiary and start booking some enemies, it'll tell you what each one has a chance of dropping. Any of them can drop money, but only one type of item per monster type. Plan accordingly.

Belfast

I'm surprised some of you are having such a hard time with the game. Some of the side objectives can be tough, but until you get near the end, you shouldn't be having *that* much trouble.

Now, those bonus Block Defense levels? Those are putting the hurt on me. :(

<3 the Special Rules, though.

With those, and the original five from the main game, you're practically getting a fully-featured (and quite good) Tower Defense game included for free.

I downloaded a bunch of characters and I dont know how to set up the folders in the USB stick. Help anyone? Alos how many characters can I upload on the USB at a time?

Xater

Host Samurai said:
I downloaded a bunch of characters and I dont know how to set up the folders in the USB stick. Help anyone? Alos how many characters can I upload on the USB at a time?

You need the following folder structure: PS3 -> SAVEDATA-> BLJMsomething

You can put as many BLJM folders in there as you want and just copy them to your PS3.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Drive->PS3->SAVEDATA-> (copy saves here)

Load as many as you want. Put drive in PS3. Choose to copy each one in the XMB.

BEATEN!!!!!!!!!!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I was pretty pissed last night when i wrote my last reply...:lol

I feel better now, and im definitely going to keep plugging away. Even though it irritates me at times i still ADORE this game. It really is a great experience.

Whats a good tactic for those irritating knights in the fire temple?

That said though, i doubt i will platinum this game....the thought of playing this game on
From Mode
is enough to give me nightmares!!!

Top Bottom